Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Motor Trend Test

Quote:
    Butzi (Chef_jmr) said:
    Quote:
    brokeback mountain said:
    I'm confused Admir. It ran across your computer screeen, but your going to scan it when you get home?

I think he is quoting the article (see quotation marks), otherwise good observation on your part, and welcome

Tough Crowd.

Here you go...

a Missile!!!!!!!!!!

I can understand the role of AWD in acceleration but the quarter mile? Weight and hp has to catch up and impact the numbers. A car can be torquey only for so long.

Maybe the whole "networking" thing...
    Maybe P really found something when tweeking the systems with VTG.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Maybe the whole "networking" thing...
    Maybe P really found something when tweeking the systems with VTG.

This car is going to have a very predictable tourque curve. Thats why it works on the quarter mile...full power into shifts with limited wheel spin...that translates into better numbers all things equal.

No comments from Corvette Z06 afficionados yet?

I guess they don't like missiles built in Germany

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    No comments from Corvette Z06 afficionados yet?

I guess they don't like missiles built in Germany

We'll have to call it the "V3"

They are too busy scratching their head.

Z06: more HP, less weight: faster

997TT: less HP, heavier: slower

Uh what else can they say?

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

"Ima blow dem doorz off dem Porschz! Ima gunna humiliate um!"

At least that is the standard response of one third of the Corvette crew here .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

They can say, "Wow! That new Turbo has nice taillights!"

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

They can say, "Wow! That new Turbo has nice taillights!"

And an incredible spoiler...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

I will make the same 2 comments that I have made in the past: 1. IMO, most P-Car drivers are a bunch of stuck-up jerks. 2. And more importantly...ANYTIME you want to race me in your 997TT, meet me at Willow Springs just north of LA, and bring your checkbook. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is....are you?

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

I will make the same 2 comments that I have made in the past: 1. IMO, most P-Car drivers are a bunch of stuck-up jerks. 2. And more importantly...ANYTIME you want to race me in your 997TT, meet me at Willow Springs just north of LA, and bring your checkbook. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is....are you?

I think we have struck a soft spot...stick in the knife and get the controversy reaching a feverish pitch... I hate porsche snobs too ...so much so I bought three of cars to keep them out of their hands. Lighten up champ..

Lighten up Ronnie, and no your car is not faster in the quarter mile.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said: IMO, most P-Car drivers are a bunch of stuck-up jerks.

That's all you can come up with?

How about something like "The 997 Turbo is the best all around sports car in the world"??

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Don't you think that would be unfair? I mean, the 997TT is soooo much faster than your car

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Lighten up Ronnie, and no your car is not faster in the quarter mile.

In the words of "Uncle Hulka" from the movie STRIPES...

Lighten Up Francis (or Ronnie in this case)

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    I will make the same 2 comments that I have made in the past: 1. IMO, most P-Car drivers are a bunch of stuck-up jerks.

"I know you are but what am I, wahhh!!"

Just because we P-car drivers fret over special order leather, makkasar or light wood, special order leather trim for door, visors, etc. and have the dare I say "luxury" of Porsche-branded lifestyle accessories doesn't make us snobs

Sheesh, can the Z06 do 3.2?

I'd like to hear 95jersey's response on this, at least I can take his opinion seriously - since he refrains from making things a little too personal and instead backs up his beef with FACTS.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

no way no stinkin z06 gonna come near that rig... ugly but very fast, should be highly amusing....

talking about facts i would not get too excited over these first performance claims, although they look spectacular. i dont know this magazine but the incongruencies in the performance results make me think we should wait for validation of a couple of other tests. if they would get confirmed the 997 tt would be a missile indeed...

Let's see how C&D fares with it

Quote:
    watt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

no way no stinkin z06 gonna come near that rig... ugly but very fast, should be highly amusing....

Watt, where have you been? Still driving your Z06?

Does the "should be highly amusing" mean you have a deposit on a 997 TT, or maybe even two?

I can't read the scan of the MT article well enough to see the performance times. These times aren't "estimated" by MT are they?

Quote:
    watt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Whoops! Sorry watt, I forgot about you . Make that one QUARTER . All in good fun.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

1. another one and you're OUT.
    2. haven't you learned that somebody is always better and faster than you, no matter what car you're driving?

Ronnie, it is funny: you're talking about a ghost like you've not only seen him but actually shook his hand.
    How can you be THAT sure that the Z06 is faster if you never saw a 997 TT upclose personal? Just curious?

Let me give you a little hint what you should be expecting in the not so far future: imagine a good driver, not a very good one and not a very bad one but one with experience. Imagine him coming to Willow Springs in his 997 Turbo Tip Sport Chrono. And now imagine that while you're trying hard to achieve a great time, operating a nice throttle foot, flying through those gears with your hand as fast as possible, releasing and engaging the clutch whenever it is necessary with pure perfection, controlling the steering wheel with the utmost concentration while watching your tail not to swing out too much, playing with the brakes to achieve the best performance, etc., a 997 Turbo TT Tip driver will only do three simple things:
    1. fully applying the throttle
    2. moving the steering wheel
    3. braking
    He doesn't need to care too much about details because this is what the car actually does for him and the new PTM.

And now even imagine he has those optional Cup tires on his car which make it stick like glue to the ground.

Don't believe me? I have one HUGE advantage over you, that I can't elaborate right now. But like I said before, on the straight line, the Z06 stands no chance against a 997 Turbo Tip Sport Chrono and this is no fantasy of mine. On the track, it remains to be seen. I give the Z06 the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

2. haven't you learned that somebody is always better and faster than you, no matter what car you're driving?

Ronnie, it is funny: you're talking about a ghost like you've not only seen him but actually shook his hand.
    How can you be THAT sure that the Z06 is faster if you never saw a 997 TT upclose personal? Just curious?

Let me give you a little hint what you should be expecting in the not so far future: imagine a good driver, not a very good one and not a very bad one but one with experience. Imagine him coming to Willow Springs in his 997 Turbo Tip Sport Chrono. And now imagine that while you're trying hard to achieve a great time, operating a nice throttle foot, flying through those gears with your hand as fast as possible, releasing and engaging the clutch whenever it is necessary with pure perfection, controlling the steering wheel with the utmost concentration while watching your tail not to swing out too much, playing with the brakes to achieve the best performance, etc., a 997 Turbo TT Tip driver will only do three simple things:
    3. braking
    He doesn't need to care too much about details because this is what the car actually does for him and the new PTM.

And now even imagine he has those optional Cup tires on his car which make it stick like glue to the ground.

Don't believe me? I have one HUGE advantage over you, that I can't elaborate right now. But like I said before, on the straight line, the Z06 stands no chance against a 997 Turbo Tip Sport Chrono with optional and this is no fantasy of mine. On the track, it remains to be seen. I give the Z06 the benefit of the doubt.

1. Another one and I am out....why don't you look at all of the nasty comments made by your Porschephiles towards us Vette dudes. Such as using the term "redneck". How many other examples would you like. And the way some of you talk about F-Car owners...you should go back and read some of these posts. It's could be eye opening for you.
    2. As I said before and will say again...instead of giving me all of this babble about the prowesses of the 997TT Tip Sport Chrono with optional cup tires, all of which I am quite familiar, just put your money where your mouth is.
    It's really just that simple.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

3. braking

Don't believe me? I have one HUGE advantage over you, that I can't elaborate right now. But like I said before, on the straight line, the Z06 stands no chance against a 997 Turbo Tip Sport Chrono and this is no fantasy of mine. On the track, it remains to be seen. I give the Z06 the benefit of the doubt.

Just for the record there is a guy on the Z06 Forum named "Ranger" Running 11.30 in the Quarter in a stock 06 Z06 on stock tires. I personally like both the 997 TT and the Z06 and I will have both fairly soon. The difference here is the Z06 guys track there cars alot and it will take a 997 TT owner to track his TT alot to compare figures more realistically. We have seen one test so far I would like to see more. I think everyone underestimated the new TT. I also think the 997 TT is a better all around car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778473 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442122 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262998 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261286 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85532 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880962 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816767 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM