Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tracktest: Z06, M Roadster and SL55

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I will acknowledge that Von Saurma has familiarity with the Ring. But to conclude Von Saurma is able to extract the best time for all the cars he drives on the Ring is just plain nonsense. If that was the case, all car manufacturer's would turn their cars over to him. We all know that is not the case.

Of course, this is coming from someone that is clueless.

So basically,magazine tests in general are worthless.
    You do realize that you could say the same for every magazine in the world...

As far as I know,only 2 manufacturers didn't provide Sport Auto their cars.Ferrari didn't gave them an Enzo and Bugatti didn't gave them the Veyron.So,they will not test 2 cars...but they already test more than 80 cars in the Supertest.
    You will probably never see a lap time of the Veyron.And for the Enzo,I think that the ones that were tested were from private owners,except from those that were tested on the Fiorano race track.

The Z06 is fast, but it's still a Chevrolet. The interior is cheap with way too much plastic.Safety features? Forget it. Air bags and that's it. "You get what you pay for" certainly applies here.

Quote:
    nicholas j said:
    The Z06 is fast, but it's still a Chevrolet. The interior is cheap with way too much plastic.Safety features? Forget it. Air bags and that's it. "You get what you pay for" certainly applies here.

couldnt agree more !

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Actually I dont think that the current Z06 is any real concern for Porsche. The next one, the C7 Z06, is. The
    new LS9 DOHC engine,better suspension,steering system,
    interior, could be a royal pain in the butt for PCNA
    sales.

I think, even the Z06 might be a problem for Porsche.

I will not buy a 997TT or any of its derivatives if it should be slower than a Corvette. If I spend far in excess of Euro 150k for a new sportscar it has to be the fastest available. No need for expensive underperformers (like the Carrera GT was).

Expensive underperformer? Are you kidding me? The CGT holds the lap record for production cars at the ring. The fact that ferrari has not tested the Enzo there should raise more than a few eyeballs. If you go by Porsche's claimed straight line specs then maybe yo could call it an underperformer ( they said 0-60 in 3.9 yeah...in the wet, most mags tested it at 3.5) however it could almost match the Enzo's straight line pace and it handled better. By the way the spectacular enzo 0-60 times were acheived with launch control which could only be used 6 times for the life of the clutch. I know this is a rant, but don't ever disrespect the greatest car of all time (imo).

Just to name some examples:

- the official 0-200 kph time has not been confirmed in any German magazin test I know. All cars tested were slower.
    - the 0-300 kph time is ca. 8 seconds slower (!) than the comparable Enzo number; even the SLR is several seconds quicker 0-300 than the GT...
    - 7:32 is only about 10 seconds better than the GT2 Mk2 figure; also, cars designed and built by small niche players like Koenigsegg or Pagani are as quick or even quicker on the NBR.

I really consider the GT an underperformer for its price

I think that the CGT had to compromise its straightline performance at super high speed for massive amounts of downforce.
    The result was, yes, "lackidasical" 0-300kmph speeds, but on the track I think it would beat both of the cars (which is what matters for it, no)?

As for the Zonda F and Koneigsegg, they are quite a bit more expensive than the CGT

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    As for the Zonda F and Koneigsegg, they are quite a bit more expensive than the CGT

Would you expect potential buyers to notice the price difference

I think all three cars are quite expensive. Whether its Euro 450k or 600k should not make a huge difference. Should it?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

Would you expect potential buyers to notice the price difference

I think all three cars are quite expensive. Whether its Euro 450k or 600k should not make a huge difference. Should it?

Whenever you want to buy a Zonda F, take the CGT and give me the remainder. We'll both be happy

Here's a question to ponder, if the C6-Z06 and 997 C2S were the same price, either the price of the Z06 or the price of the Porsche, which would you buy??
    I would buy the Porsche in either case.....

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Here's a question to ponder, if the C6-Z06 and 997 C2S were the same price, either the price of the Z06 or the price of the Porsche, which would you buy??

But there not...that is the point. Also, we are on a Porsche forum, so the answer most here will say is Porsche, go to a Corvette forum and you'll see the same type of responses, but for Corvette. I think you need an unbiased forum to get a real world answer.

Personally, I am going to say a vette stricly on it's performance advantage, mostly because I have no care for luxury or interior materials.

Impressive!

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    964C2 said:

But there not...that is the point. Also, we are on a Porsche forum, so the answer most here will say is Porsche, go to a Corvette forum and you'll see the same type of responses, but for Corvette. I think you need an unbiased forum to get a real world answer.

Personally, I am going to say a vette stricly on it's performance advantage, mostly because I have no care for luxury or interior materials.

Very true.

I think Chevy was very smart with its pricing of the ZO6. Say what you will about its interior materials or build quality, but absolutely nothing can touch it for under $100K.

Porsche is also very smart with prices on the 997s. For the extra money over the brutally powerful ZO6, you get a more usable sportscar that I'm sure is more communicative than the ZO6 to drive (still waiting for a ZO6 drive). For outright performance figures though, the new Turbo at twice the price is a much better match for the Z. The fit and finish and the materials of the interior in all 997 models are far superior to the Vette too. However, the main reason that Porsche can charge such a premium for its cars IMO is not due to the fact that they are more luxurious or usable, but because of the cachet of the Porsche badge.

Not only the cachet, they still have some of the best packages if not just performance. Porsche has never sold as many cars as the recent years, why would they lower their price? Obviously various people have various values. But until Porsche sales drop a lot, their cars are not overpriced, they actually might be too cheap. Take the 997TT for example, some its competitors are much more expensive (F430, DB9/Vanquish, Gallardo, SL55) and some are cheaper but don't offer anything close to the TT package (SL/CLS500, M5/6, Audi RS*, Z06, Maserati).

thanks. yet another proof of performance of this amazing car for a price...

Wow, that is an awesome time!
    As for the comparisons with the 911 (S and TT), absolutely, the interior materials are nicer on the 911s for sure. I do have the option to get a custom interior if I want (nicer materials) for probably about $5K. Chevy did their homework I feel for the price. The car's sold out this year and most of next year. Another $5k to the price using nicer materials probably wouldn't have hurt sales much.
    The car is dead fast though. A buddy of mine came along for a ride with me (he has a modded '01 Z06) and I really scarred him going around turns. Straight line speed is another factor all together. This thing is fast!
    I realize that everyone has their own personal preference. As you can see in my sig, I have a Boxster also. I LOVE the Boxster (why I didn't sell it). Yes, the steering has better feedback at slower speeds than the Z06 and it is overall more involving at slower speeds. Once you get the Z rolling quickly through some nice tight twisties it turns into another car all together. It really becomes alive. The grip is insane, even with the runflat tires. I can't imagine what it'd be like with a set of Sport Cups on it.
    Bottom line is that speed isn't everything. The car you choose will be the best for you.
    I don't criticise anyone for their choice. This car is VERY fast, VERY capable and so much FUN.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Not only the cachet, they still have some of the best packages if not just performance. Porsche has never sold as many cars as the recent years, why would they lower their price? Obviously various people have various values. But until Porsche sales drop a lot, their cars are not overpriced, they actually might be too cheap. Take the 997TT for example, some its competitors are much more expensive (F430, DB9/Vanquish, Gallardo, SL55) and some are cheaper but don't offer anything close to the TT package (SL/CLS500, M5/6, Audi RS*, Z06, Maserati).

You make a very valid point about Porsche sales. They would be incredibly stupid to lower their prices when they can sell so many cars at the prices they charge now. The cars that offer similar performance to the Turbo for more money can get away with it by brand image.

Imagine for a second a 430 without a Ferrari badge, a Turbo without a Porsche badge, and a ZO6 without a Chevrolet badge. Keep the prices of all three cars the same. Would you still be comfortable paying twice as much for the Turbo, or over twice as much for the 430? I would personally have a very hard time. Is the Turbo a better car than the ZO6? I would say yes without question. Is it worth twice the price of a ZO6 without the Porsche badge? I doubt it.

I think prestige has a huge influence on prices.

I think the goal of the Z was not only bang for the buck, but to give the average guy a chance to own and drive something world class. I am not poor by any means, but I do work for a salary, and have a family, so I will probably never be able to afford a new 911TT or 430. But according to european car manufacturer standards, if I can't afford a $100k+ car, should I never have the privelage of owning something thus capable?

I am sure there are many on this forum with older Porsche's and boxsters who could never afford a new TT, so why limit your dreams because of some imposed social standard. Forget what people think when you pull up, and think about what it will be like when you pull out.

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    Is it worth twice the price of a ZO6 without the Porsche badge? I doubt it.

Well for $50K extra you get AWD, a much nicer customizable interior, a much safer car, a much more evovled design, two more seats and a much better feedback from the road (per most if not all magazines). Put it like that, not worth 50K.

Now let's see what you get with an F430 compared to a Z06, 4 times the price in the US ($240K vs $70K)
    - more HP for the 430: nope
    - nicer interior: slightly (and that's only true since the F355)
    - AWD: nope
    - more technology: yup but only with optional F1 gearbox or optional ceramics
    - better design: yup
    - better performance: nope
    - two more seats:nope

Bottom line: prestige has an influence on the price. But what is prestige? Having your heart race faster just looking or sitting in a car? Big grin on your face everytime you turn they ignition. Obviously, the market tells you there is a price for it. Sadly most of us can't afford it. And at the prestige game, Porsche is not the worst "value", it actually might just be the cheapest one

Prestige is a definite factor for many. I had a coworker who saw me in the Z06 and commented about my Porsche Boxster and how it's more expensive than the Z06. When I told him the cost difference he said, "Yes, but it's a Porsche."
    This is actually one of the reasons I enjoy the Z06 so much. It may be Velocity Yellow, but it does fly under the radar (no pun intended) with many people. They just have no idea what it is. Most just think it's a standard Corvette. Then there's the enthusiast who stalks you and drives like crazy just to catch-up to you and give you a thumbs-up or tries to have a conversation with you while driving 60mph on the highway.
    It really is a great ride. It's amazing that it has the technology it does (aluminum/magnesium frame, carbonfibre fenders/floors, pushrod engine with drysump oil) and costs only $70k (what I paid).
    I know the pushrod engine is "old technology" but this engine is really cutting edge when it comes to materials and the amount of horsepower it puts out. I also get 29mpg on the highway while cruising. Overall mileage I've seen about 22mpg with some pretty good full-throttle blasts.
    Right now the weather is perfect here for convertibles, so the Boxster is getting it's exercise!

RC has not chimmed in on this thread....hmmmmmmm.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    DamienL said:

Bottom line: prestige has an influence on the price. But what is prestige? Having your heart race faster just looking or sitting in a car? Big grin on your face everytime you turn they ignition. Obviously, the market tells you there is a price for it. Sadly most of us can't afford it. And at the prestige game, Porsche is not the worst "value", it actually might just be the cheapest one

I agree.
    To obtain prestige, I think a certain image must be achieved through past achievement. It's a strong reputation built up by heritage, exclusivity, pleasure, etc. All of these things can make your heart race faster, or put a big grin on your face.

Actually, there was a recent study done on prestigious cars. Guess who won?

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/04/13/003900.html

I guess Ferrari wasn't included since they are such a low volume manufacturer, otherwise I think the results would have been different.

On the topic of the Ferrari, which is probably the best example of how prestige influences prices, I remember some years ago I visited a Ferrari dealer with some friends to see the new at the time 360. Upon hearing the price, one of my friends asked the salesman who would buy the car, and salesman simply responded, "Someone who can." He then asked the seemingly obvious question as to why someone would buy the 360 as opposed to another cheaper, similarly performing car, and the salesman quickly responded, "Those other cars are fast, but they aren't Ferraris." While that comment may have sounded a little arrogant, it was very true.

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    DamienL said:

I agree.
    To obtain prestige, I think a certain image must be achieved through past achievement. It's a strong reputation built up by heritage, exclusivity, pleasure, etc. All of these things can make your heart race faster, or put a big grin on your face.

I guess Ferrari wasn't included since they are such a low volume manufacturer, otherwise I think the results would have been different.

On the topic of the Ferrari, which is probably the best example of how prestige influences prices, I remember some years ago I visited a Ferrari dealer with some friends to see the new at the time 360. Upon hearing the price, one of my friends asked the salesman who would buy the car, and salesman simply responded, "Someone who can." He then asked the seemingly obvious question as to why someone would buy the 360 as opposed to another cheaper, similarly performing car, and the salesman quickly responded, "Those other cars are fast, but they aren't Ferraris." While that comment may have sounded a little arrogant, it was very true.

Prestige and a buck-fifty buys a cup of coffee. Here in So Cal, Porsches are a dime a dozen and F-Cars, L-Cars and the such can be seen all the time. I like my Z because when I or anyone else looks at it, the one word that does NOT come to mind is prestige. Prestige does not put a smile on my face. What does is when I am on the road and some dude in his "prestigemobile" wants to run, I accept the challenge and then procede to blow his doors off. The look on his face is just priceless. And its all in good sporting fun.

We all have different values. Prestige means absolutely nothing to many as you have just demonstrated.

I've driven quite a few fast cars, but always come back to Porsche. I think they have a nice balance of all things that make a sportscar great and fun to drive, which is more important to me than outright speed. I openly admit (there's no way I can possibly deny it) that your Z will blow any current Porsche off the road. I doubt that even the new Turbo wouldn't be able to loose you.
    So I'll make you a deal: next time I'm driving a 'prestigemobile' and see you in your ZO6, instead of challenging you because my car has a better name, I'll smile and give you a thumbs up, the same as I do to everyone who drives an awesome car.

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    We all have different values. Prestige means absolutely nothing to many as you have just demonstrated.

I've driven quite a few fast cars, but always come back to Porsche. I think they have a nice balance of all things that make a sportscar great and fun to drive, which is more important to me than outright speed. I openly admit (there's no way I can possibly deny it) that your Z will blow any current Porsche off the road. I doubt that even the new Turbo wouldn't be able to loose you.
    So I'll make you a deal: next time I'm driving a 'prestigemobile' and see you in your ZO6, instead of challenging you because my car has a better name, I'll smile and give you a thumbs up, the same as I do to everyone who drives an awesome car.

I'd take a Mk2 GT2 over the Z06. It would have a very hard time against it.

I was thinking of current models still in production.

I'd take the 997 Turbo anyday over the ZO6, but I have a lot of new found respect for Corvettes.

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    DamienL said:

I agree.

It is true that prestige is derived from achievment. Many probably do not realize that Corvette's has a rich racing history, and has been racing in sports car classes around the world (Sebring & Lemans) since the car's inception in 1952. Chevy has also run protoype entries as well including a 1000hp GTP entry in the mid 80's. They have raced at LeMans, Trans Am, Daytona, Sebring, Showroom stock classes and FIA and SCCA venues for over 50 years. The recent C5/6R wins are the icing on the cake.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2006/RacingHistory.shtml

The Sebring road course was the crucible where Corvette's racing reputation was forged. Once a training field for bomber pilots, the converted airport circuit became a proving ground for legendary road racers. It was on this flat and featureless track that Chevrolet's fiberglass roadster first seriously challenged the European makes in March 1956.

"Fresh from a record-setting session on the sands of Daytona Beach (where Zora Arkus-Duntov set the flying mile speed record at 150.583 mph), the Corvette crew hastily prepared a trio of Corvettes for the 12-hour Sebring endurance race. The untested Corvettes encountered numerous problems, but drivers John Fitch and Walt Hansgen soldiered to a ninth-place finish overall and first in Class B. Although the results were hardly spectacular, the Sebring experience became the cornerstone of the Corvette legend."

Quote:
    DamienL said:

And I will give you 2 thumbs up and a big smile in return.
    (one thumbs up for your wheels and one thumbs up for the driver)

Quote:
    SciFrog said:Well for $50K extra you get AWD, a much nicer customizable interior, a much safer car, a much more evovled design...

Not true. The Vette has evolved 10yrs longer than the 911. You may not like where it has evolved, but it is more evolved...

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    DamienL said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    DamienL said:

I agree.

Prestige and a buck-fifty buys a cup of coffee. Here in So Cal, Porsches are a dime a dozen and F-Cars, L-Cars and the such can be seen all the time. I like my Z because when I or anyone else looks at it, the one word that does NOT come to mind is prestige. Prestige does not put a smile on my face. What does is when I am on the road and some dude in his "prestigemobile" wants to run, I accept the challenge and then procede to blow his doors off. The look on his face is just priceless. And its all in good sporting fun.

LOL... hear in SoCal we call that "white trash"! I bet you also owned an IROC-Z at some point in your life. Do you still have it?

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    DamienL said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    DamienL said:

I agree.

LOL... hear in SoCal we call that "white trash"! I bet you also owned an IROC-Z at some point in your life. Do you still have it?

Bit of an elitest, aren't you...and one with popinjay tendancies to boot!

Thanks for the data Mike!
    Awesome performance for the Corvette!
    I am impressed. I'd still have a Porsche though, but that's serious competition!

...that's "tendencies" RonnieIROC-Z.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777297 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441721 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262788 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260963 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85233 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5582 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815978 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM