Prestige is a definite factor for many. I had a coworker who saw me in the Z06 and commented about my Porsche Boxster and how it's more expensive than the Z06. When I told him the cost difference he said, "Yes, but it's a Porsche."
This is actually one of the reasons I enjoy the Z06 so much. It may be Velocity Yellow, but it does fly under the radar (no pun intended) with many people. They just have no idea what it is. Most just think it's a standard Corvette. Then there's the enthusiast who stalks you and drives like crazy just to catch-up to you and give you a thumbs-up or tries to have a conversation with you while driving 60mph on the highway.
It really is a great ride. It's amazing that it has the technology it does (aluminum/magnesium frame, carbonfibre fenders/floors, pushrod engine with drysump oil) and costs only $70k (what I paid).
I know the pushrod engine is "old technology" but this engine is really cutting edge when it comes to materials and the amount of horsepower it puts out. I also get 29mpg on the highway while cruising. Overall mileage I've seen about 22mpg with some pretty good full-throttle blasts.
Right now the weather is perfect here for convertibles, so the Boxster is getting it's exercise!