Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Great Sound on my 997S bose premium

Went yesterday to David Gilmour's concert here in Hollywood at the Gibson Theatre, and it was just out of this world , just incredible. The second best part of the night was after the concert got into my 997S and play an mp3 disc that I burned of Pink Floyd music and it was just incredible, the sound in this car is awsome, I do not know why some of you out there don't think so, bu to me it is just a great sounding audio system.
    If you get a chance to see him just get tickets is worth it.

Re: Great Sound on my 997S bose premium

Thanks Pabs1, I've been thinking of making a new MP3. I think I'll burn a slew of old Pink Floyd CDs on an MP3 this weekend for the P-car, go for a nice drive and space out!

I guess it depends what you're used to. I had a decent aftermarket system in my last car and IMHO, Bose doesn't know how to make decent audio systems. The system in the 997 is something I can live with, but I wouldn't call it good. I just don't want to rip the car apart to go aftermarket.

The audio system in the 997 is like everything else. Some like it and some don't. Like PbPedis said I guess it depends on what you are use to. If you like it great, if not sorry. I'm not a BOSE fan but the car sounds OK to me.

Pabs....LoL glad you had a great time...Saw Oasis at the Hollywood Bowl a few months ago....had such a good time, burnt a cd afterwards and blasted around in 997s with a goofy grin....and I agree I think the Bose is pretty damn good.

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    Pabs....LoL glad you had a great time...Saw Oasis at the Hollywood Bowl a few months ago....had such a good time, burnt a cd afterwards and blasted around in 997s with a goofy grin....and I agree I think the Bose is pretty damn good.

Jfraser,

Not only my wife and I had , as you wrote " a grin " in our faces but we were so into the Pink Floyd music in the car, and the driving pleasure of this car, that We didn't even realize that we got home.

I've been an audio enthusiast for over 16 years. Had a few high-end systems at home, customized two of my cars, and listened to many systems costing as much as $100,000.

To be frank, no matter what you do in a Porsche, the sound quality will always be crap. This is simply due to the road noise. Installing Bose will not improve the sound quality unless the car is standing still.

If you care about sound quality do either of the following:

a) Get a decent system at home for the price of the Bose option

b) Get a Lexus LS with Harman Kardon sound system

For your info, I decided against getting the Bose in my 997 C2S. A sports car is not designed for serious listening.

I have Bose but I do wonder if it's worth the extra over the 'Sound Package Plus' (standard 997 I think) I had in my 996 C2. On UK roads at least the road noise, PSE and induction noise fight a battle with the Bose until ultimately you are nearly deaf

I suppose they offer Bose for you guys who really like it and for whom a standard pack isn't enough. Me? I like the flexibility but I really never managed to find a setting where it is anywhere near good. Perhaps someone can recommend some settings because mine sounds sub-optimal.

Anyway. I'm not too disappointed with Bose because the car makes a great soundtrack itself

Flip the back seats down. The sound is even better!

Pabs, glad it sounds good! I ordered it without even listening to it! Hope I'm happy too.

Hey guys, is the Bose premium an improvement over past models? If so, how much- is it very noticeable?

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Pabs, glad it sounds good! I ordered it without even listening to it! Hope I'm happy too.

Hey guys, is the Bose premium an improvement over past models? If so, how much- is it very noticeable?

Wow this is a hard one to answer because it is so subjective. I would say it is an improvement but is it worth the extra money depends on you.

More bass and it goes louder. It is better when you are at low speeds or parked up. But better in normal use? I'd say go to the dealer and ask to drive a car with each system and the same piece of music. Then make a decision. For me I'd only buy it again if he tells me it helps resale.

You can't get Bose on a GT3. Need I say more??

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

Wow this is a hard one to answer because it is so subjective. I would say it is an improvement but is it worth the extra money depends on you.

I ordered and it's OK. You could get better sound (for more money) by going after-market, but you probably won't hear it when the car is in motion. The noise generated from the wind, tires and engine make it difficult to please an "audiophile".

i love the bose and it sounds very good, sorry but which sports car has a system that sounds better?... may be ferrari? lamborghini?aston martin?

I think that the Bose is a decent, cost effective upgrade. It's not an IASCA winner by any means, but it's fun. Solid bass - the subwoofer kicks. The stock 911 system is 4 x 15w, the Bose system has dedicated amps for each speaker cluster and the sub. Listen to a well-mastered CD and you'll appreciate the difference. Check out Al DiMeola's "Kiss My Axe" to appreciate the dynamic range and the sound quality... or any other quality recording. MP3 is not a good test case; I ripped everything to my iPod at 320k non-shared and can still hear the difference between hi-rate MP3s and Red Book (44.1khz) CD audio... and I'm old.

If you want audiophile sound in a car, get a Lexus with the Mark Levinson system... then again, it's not a Porsche - what's more important? <g>

-d

Mark Levinson is a world class system, very nice indeed. You are right Bose is decent as long as it does not break down. 3 of them have so far crapped out on me with cars that had less than 3K on them

The Blose doesn't turn me on at all - really is an awful sounding system when compared to audiophile home systems (no surprise here) and not very good compared to what's available on other makes. Volvo even makes better sound systems (utilizing premium grade Dynaudio drivers may I add), so does the fabulous Mark Levinson set-up in the Lexus SC430, and I can't wait to get my hands on an Audi A8 W12 to listen to the Bang and Olufsen set-up in that puppy.

I've written about this topic way too many times on here so bottom line - for me, I would have skipped the Bose, and bought an entry level pair of bookshelf speakers

But to each his own ... system does its job (play music), but the engine/exhaust does it's job better

My 996 bose sound like crap. At home I use a Linn Active system. It'll be interesting to listen to the 997 bose. But I'm already thinking of ditching it and saving the weight!

I prefer the standard sound system in my Mini.

With the fibre-optic hosted Porsche "MOST" system it seems that they are not encouraging a simple replacement plug and play job. I hope it's better than my custom Nakamichi AM/FM/CD-remote/Cassette sytem with ADS amp and ADS and Nak speakers from my last 911. That was a class act.

dan

It kills me that so many compare the sound system in the 997 to their home system. No matter what system is used in the 997, the acoustics of the cabin and the sound of the engine (among other factors)will limit it. There are better places to enjoy music than in a sportscar..

You must have a different Bose than mine. It's okay, but the stock (with Sub) Panasonic system in my $18,000 Scion is better.

If only I could fit my Paradigm Studio/100 v.3s in the 911! <g>

But seriously - the PSE is the real sound system. I need music all the time, though... and I don't think that I should be wearing my Seinheisers when I'm driving...

Maybe Wilson Audio will do a Porsche system someday. <not!>

-d

Anyone having trouble with MP3s? Sometimes the player can't read my trial disc, and other times it can. It can take 5 or 6 tries when it fails, but other times it reads it first time. Is it a common problem or is my unit broken?

I have the Bose upgrade, but for the money..I would of liked to look into other systems. It seems painful to mess with wiring, and would another system fit in the Porsche spot? It is a good stereo, and I enjoy it, but still doesnt have the energy that this bad ass car deserves...
    I have played my IPOD wireless on the FM stereo and liked it, and heard burned CD's sound great. I know...., its when the windows and sunroof are open..its not loud enough at all.....especially with my new PSE exhaust..I am a bad girl!!!

Quote:
    dstrimbu said:
    If only I could fit my Paradigm Studio/100 v.3s in the 911! <g>

But seriously - the PSE is the real sound system. I need music all the time, though... and I don't think that I should be wearing my Seinheisers when I'm driving...

Maybe Wilson Audio will do a Porsche system someday. <not!>

-d

Wilson Audio gadzooks can you IMAGINE! I'm trying to envision a miniature version of their Watt Puppies. I would go for that option in a heartbeat but I don't see Porsche or Wilson doing it...maybe Bang and Olufsen or MB Quart...

Look at it this way, Porsche took a step forward going to Blose over Becker...kinda like going from a Toyota Tercel to a Toyota Avalon....improved but still not very good...

I like mine alright, it gets the job done with most of my music. Could it be better? Sure. Would I give it back to get my $1390 bucks back? Are you kidding?

I realize that the Porsche with the radio off, windows down, and exhaust wailing, is a lovely experience...... But, the rest of the time, who penny-pinches on a $80K+++ car just to make some sort of principled protest statement??

"Your audio upgrade does not meet my discriminating standards....therefore, I'll show you....I'll take the one that's even worse....thank you...."

If you're really an audiophile, you may not like the Bose, but you don't settle for a yet-crappier standard setup just to save the bit of coin involved relative to the overall cost of the car.

That's my take.

The audiophile system in my F150 is better than the Bose, which is kinda funny. But, I don't mind the Bose, it rocks me hard enough to enjoy my music, and I'd be lost without the extra punch of bass it provides beyond the standard system.

bose in car is ok.
    at home dcs, halcro and jmlab is unbeatable.

Quote:
    SteveM said:
    Anyone having trouble with MP3s? Sometimes the player can't read my trial disc, and other times it can. It can take 5 or 6 tries when it fails, but other times it reads it first time. Is it a common problem or is my unit broken?

Steve:

What brand CD-Rs are you using? I find that the cheaper ones don't work consistantly. Also, if you're using CD-RW media, you might try a good 80 minute CD-R (no rewrite capability).

The TDK Music 80 minute CD-Rs work well for me.

-don

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I like mine alright, it gets the job done with most of my music. Could it be better? Sure. Would I give it back to get my $1390 bucks back? Are you kidding?

I realize that the Porsche with the radio off, windows down, and exhaust wailing, is a lovely experience...... But, the rest of the time, who penny-pinches on a $80K+++ car just to make some sort of principled protest statement??

"Your audio upgrade does not meet my discriminating standards....therefore, I'll show you....I'll take the one that's even worse....thank you...."

If you're really an audiophile, you may not like the Bose, but you don't settle for a yet-crappier standard setup just to save the bit of coin involved relative to the overall cost of the car.

That's my take.

The audiophile system in my F150 is better than the Bose, which is kinda funny. But, I don't mind the Bose, it rocks me hard enough to enjoy my music, and I'd be lost without the extra punch of bass it provides beyond the standard system.

Boss likes his license plates rattling from all his bass-heavy music

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Boss likes his license plates rattling from all his bass-heavy music

That's preposterous...... I use rubber insulators and isolators throughout my license plate and frame mounting!!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779288 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442252 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263115 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261401 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85631 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5811 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881095 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817572 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM