Forum - Thread

Re: just sailing...in Dubai, UAE

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Fair enough Crash! As long as we're willing to acknowledge the good too! ...

That's what I like about this board - properly educated people that you can share a discussion with in a civilized manner.

I think all of us are mature enough not to take anything personal!

Bottom line to the above topic: I don't think people lack the acknowledgement about the effort US troops put into their duties in the Iraq, neither do they question the rightousness of the vast majority of them. What people rather have a problem with was the initial intention - and as I said above, the problems that occur where sadly forseeable.

Cheers, guys!

Obviously, the major disagreement we have is that the people who are in support of the operation believe that the intention was genuine, whereas the the opposite holds true for those who don't have that initial support. What you believe is what you believe. It's going to take a lot of compelling evidence to change either of our minds.

Right now, there is no compelling evidence that there was a lie or a deliberate attempt to mislead. If so, please point that out to everbody. On the other hand, there is a lot of compelling evidence that the administration believed that there were WMD's present in Iraq.

Do we remember the threats made days before the invasion by Saddam that he had ordered his generals to get ready to use chemical weapons agains the American troops?

Do we remember the amount of times our troops were warned to put on it's chemical protective gear during the initial month of the invasion of Iraq?

Do we remember when troops were asked to put on it's chemical protective gear when Iraqi missles were headed towards the troops.

Do we remember during the operation, the attempts by special ops to secure sensitive locations because we believed that WMD's were there?

Do we remember the trailers that we said were mobile chemical weapons labs?

Do we remember the large nuclear facility which we suspected containing enriched uranium which we found had certain levels of radiation, but later turned up to be nothing of significance?

This was a time when everyone believed that there was a genuine threat of WMD's being used on our troops.

In my opinion, the argument to disarm Saddam was reasonable at the time. The fact that Saddam is out while no significant WMDS's were found is quite embarassing. But remember one thing which is indisputable: Saddam did have WMD's which were not accounted for. The UN inspectors established that because they inventoried the WMD's beforehand. Remember the demand that Iraq account for all their WMD's and that it be placed in a report, which Saddam complied with? That report was inconsistent with the UN inspector's previous inventory. What happened to the WMD's? That was the main bone of contention which forced us to disarm Iraq.

I don't believe that there is any evidence that the administration was lying or misleading the public. I do believe that the administration was using as much information it believed to be correct to "make it's case". If you believe that this was misleading the public, then maybe we just have a different interpretation of the term.

If you believed beforehand that the Bush Administration is corrupt, then yes, you would probably believe that he misled or worst, lied to the American people. If you didn't believe beforehand that the Bush Administration is corrupt, then you would probably believe that the intention was correct, based on the beforehand evidence and the behaviour of the Saddam government before and during the invasion. I have no evidence that the Bush Administration is corrupt as far as the WOT is concerned.

Finally, if you believe that Bush lied, you also must believe that Clinton lied too. Remember Operation Desert Fox? In fact, one could make an argument that Bush was copying Clinton's speech exactly as far as the arguments for military action against Iraq was concerned.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9812/16/clinton.iraq.speech/

Regarding Clinton, I never claimed he was a saint - I'm not an American an thus not divided via party lines.

The question whether or not Bush misled your country is a very ungrateful topic, since our beliefs and, national pride and party loyalties all come into play.
    Personally, I don't think Bush himself is the culprit, as his father's old circle is pulling the strings from the background and Bush is just a puppet. I wo}'t lie that I dislike the current administration (which I fervently supported after 9/11), due to its conduct regarding the UN during the pre-war buildup, where Bush and his delegates had repeatedly stated how irrelevant the UN are and after two years they come and ask the UN for help and, on top of that, nominate Michael Bolton, who has been caught on record, claiming that "the United Nations are nothing".
    Chemical equipment wasn't being handled by the White House pencil pushers, but by the military. If I were one of the joint-chiefs, you can be damn sure I'd prepare my troops for the worst, especially if my commander-in-chief informed me that the country I'm attacking had chemical and biological weaponry. Even if he only said that there MIGHT be weapons, I'd still want everyone equipped with protective gear, just in case.
    The thing is, the military believed it, much of the public believed it, the only question is whether or not the Bush administration truly believed it. I wouldn't go into that discussion though, since we could debate all month long and not come to a conclusion.
    Regarding WMDs themselves, the biological agents Saddam had don't last more than ten years (and that's stretching it).
    However, I digress. I'm voicing my opinions and so is everybody else and I'm glad that we're having a civilized debate, as SVN and Ferdie have both said.

So far, there has not been one Arab League government that has called for restoring Saddam Hussein as the ruler of Iraq.

That says it all.

You cant have it both ways. It is ridiculous logic to condemn the invasion of Iraq as wrong and then also
    say - no, dont bring Hussein back.

You simply cant have it both ways.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    So far, there has not been one Arab League government that has called for restoring Saddam Hussein as the ruler of Iraq.

That says it all.

You cant have it both ways. It is ridiculous logic to condemn the invasion of Iraq as wrong and then also

Don't go there. I can condemn the invasion, which I have, but can also say that it's a good thing that Saddam is gone.
    Why condemn the invasion? Tens of thousands of dead Iraqis could probably explain that to you.
    So, in short: I.'m glad that Saddam is gone, but the invasion was a costly mistake.

You like sitting on fences? Saddam would not be gone with out a invasion.

So you cant even begin to say, well Im glad hes gone but I condemn the invasion it took to get rid of him. How else was
    he going to go? No other way for it to happen.

I think you are more upset at the aftermath. If you have any solution to resolve blood and clan feuds, shia versus sunni, sunni gangsters versus everyone and Iranian and Syrian duplicity, send them to 1400 Pennsylvania Avenue
    and to the Prime Ministers office in Bagdhad.

or if you wish, go back further amd blame it on the French and English who created the national boundaries in the middle east after WW1.

They are the ones who ignored religion and ethnic goups when it came to carving up the middle east into new countries.

Send London and France the bill for the mess.

I admire and respect many countries- their culture and people, especially Germany in part because of my ancestry and being a native. I was there on the days leading up to 9/11, enjoying my holiday and feeling very much at home. When I saw the first images of that horrible day, everything changed: I wanted to be home at that moment and some of my first thoughts were if I was even going to have a country to return to, and/or what would it look or be like. I remember hearing a few negative comments, but overall the German people were just great. BTW, I agree with Alan regarding most folks opinions. For the most part, I believe the world was pretty much united- even if only briefly. President Bush vowed to take the fight to terrorism... to "... confront threats to America before it's too late." The terrorists had been at war with us ( and the free/ modern world) for decades and we were finally about to enter the fight. Unfortunately, I was a bit too old to enlist.

Most understood and approved of going into Afghanistan... Iraq(Saddam) was long ago considered a threat. Numerous UN resolutions over many years were met with deception and defiance by Saddam. In the aftermath of 9/11, the Bush administration didn't have the luxury of sitting back and hoping for the best. "W" and many, many others saw a threat and it was time for Saddam to comply once and for all. Sure, President Bush could've tried to play it safe: matters in Afghanistan were going very well, the economy was beginning to recover after the attacks and his approval ratings by all accounts were 80- 90% favorable. That's one of many reasons I respect him so much-I believe he considered our safety, disarming Saddam, stability in the region, and yes- the liberation of the Iraqi people, before his political aspirations. Regarding the WMD's, I believe as others have said: it's not whether or not he had them, it's where are they now???

Cheers!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    I wo}'t lie that I dislike the current administration (which I fervently supported after 9/11), due to its conduct regarding the UN during the pre-war buildup, where Bush and his delegates had repeatedly stated how irrelevant the UN are and after two years they come and ask the UN for help and, on top of that, nominate Michael Bolton, who has been caught on record, claiming that "the United Nations are nothing".

Crash, if the Bush administration did nominate Michael Bolton as US ambassador to the UN, then I might have a problem with Bush, also.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

That says it all.

Don't go there. I can condemn the invasion, which I have, but can also say that it's a good thing that Saddam is gone.
    Why condemn the invasion? Tens of thousands of dead Iraqis could probably explain that to you.
    So, in short: I.'m glad that Saddam is gone, but the invasion was a costly mistake.

Crash,

Of course, civilians, and brave and noble soldiers are going to die in war. It's very reasonable to believe that Saddam(and eventually his ruthless sons) would have continued to fill mass graves for years...

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    I wo}'t lie that I dislike the current administration (which I fervently supported after 9/11), due to its conduct regarding the UN during the pre-war buildup, where Bush and his delegates had repeatedly stated how irrelevant the UN are and after two years they come and ask the UN for help and, on top of that, nominate Michael Bolton, who has been caught on record, claiming that "the United Nations are nothing".

Crash, if the Bush administration did nominate Michael Bolton as US ambassador to the UN, then I might have a problem with Bush, also.

Second that!

Did you notice you just described the Iraq War as being part of the War on Terror, although Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11?. This speaks volumes about the quality of the press in the US.

Another striking example right in your post: you're mentioning the infamous mobile lab trailers, as though they were a credible threat. In reality, they were just one of the countless outlandish claims made by the current administration in their desperate attempts to vindicate an invasion - all of which had been debunked by the international press well before the war began.

I remember claims that Saddam and Al Qaeda were working together. I remember claims that Saddam was purchasing uranium in Niger. I remember claims that Saddam was not cooperating, while he actually was (obviously in order to try and save his head). I remember the invasion starting shortly after the official UN commission on Iraq had concluded Saddam was not a threat. Need I continue?

It is a sad state of affairs when lowly foreign journalists are better informed than the President of the United States, the most powerful man on the planet.
    Napoleon wrote: never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. I can't help but wonder what he'd think about the current administration.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Did you notice you just described the Iraq War as being part of the War on Terror, although Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11?. This speaks volumes about the quality of the press in the US.

Another striking example right in your post: you're mentioning the infamous mobile lab trailers, as though they were a credible threat. In reality, they were just one of the countless outlandish claims made by the current administration in their desperate attempts to vindicate an invasion - all of which had been debunked by the international press well before the war began.

I remember claims that Saddam and Al Qaeda were working together. I remember claims that Saddam was purchasing uranium in Niger. I remember claims that Saddam was not cooperating, while he actually was (obviously in order to try and save his head). I remember the invasion starting shortly after the official UN commission on Iraq had concluded Saddam was not a threat. Need I continue?

It is a sad state of affairs when lowly foreign journalists are better informed than the President of the United States, the most powerful man on the planet.
    Napoleon wrote: never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. I can't help but wonder what he'd think about the current administration.

The Groom,

I sure hope the international press is better than ours!

The President must rely on intel not the press! Obviously, both ( the press and intel) can and have been wrong.

Saddam terrorized his own people , his neighbors, and was a sponsor of terrorism.

Guys, sorry. Thread is way too off-topic now, not even related to Dubai anymore.

I think we all agree that terrorism has to be stopped.
    And we all agree that nobody has the right to kill innocent people just to prove a point or to create chaos.
    Case closed, Thread closed.

The intel was also wrong about conditions under Saddam's rule- it was much worse than anyone thought. More mass graves...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777297 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441721 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262788 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260963 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85233 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5582 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815978 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM