Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bentley claims new cabrio is "Worlds Fastest Convertible"?

On MSN there is an article about the new Bentley Continental GTC. They say it is the worlds fastest convertible with a top speed of 190 mph. Is "fastest" not defined by top speed? Because if so the 996 Turbo S Cab is faster by 1 mph clocking in at 191 mph. The 996 is no longer in production, so is that how Bentley can make this claim. Weather in production or not a 996 Turbo S is still faster making Bentley's claim quite lame. Attached is the link to the article. I don't know how long ist stays current at MSN. http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/article.aspx?contentID=4023941&s=NewYork2006

Re: Bentley claims new cabrio is "Worlds Fastest Convertible

These claims get thrown around too much. I wish there was some sort of watchdog to regulate it!

Send Porsche an email, tell them to sue

Then send Ferrari an email, tell them to sue Porsche for claiming the GT3 as worlds highest revving NA engine

Re: Bentley claims new cabrio is "Worlds Fastest Convertible"?

Quote:
    danny911 said:
    On MSN there is an article about the new Bentley Continental GTC. They say it is the worlds fastest convertible with a top speed of 190 mph. Is "fastest" not defined by top speed? Because if so the 996 Turbo S Cab is faster by 1 mph clocking in at 191 mph.

Play the video before quoting.

Bentley claims 190 with the roof DOWN and 195 mph all zipped up.

I like it.

I may trade my 996TT cab for a GTC.

Ok, that's why. With the roof up it is 195. Well they can enjoy the spotlight for a little while, but the 997 Turbo Cab is just around the corner.

Quote:
    danny911 said:
    Ok, that's why. With the roof up it is 195. Well they can enjoy the spotlight for a little while, but the 997 Turbo Cab is just around the corner.

English proverb: "Make hay while the sun shines".

Hollywood proverb: "Make sex while the camera rolls."

Bentleys rock!

There is no better barge car and the GTC will be a righteous
    4 seater convertible

The CGT is a very fast car on the freeway. Trust me it can play with the 996TT on the freeway without any problems. Now how it will do against 997TT I don't know, we will find out soon. The CGT pulls like a mofo on the freeway But it's no Porsche "Nothing even comes close".

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    danny911 said:
    On MSN there is an article about the new Bentley Continental GTC. They say it is the worlds fastest convertible with a top speed of 190 mph. Is "fastest" not defined by top speed? Because if so the 996 Turbo S Cab is faster by 1 mph clocking in at 191 mph.

Play the video before quoting.

Bentley claims 190 with the roof DOWN and 195 mph all zipped up.

I like it.

I may trade my 996TT cab for a GTC.

Gee Mike I hope I did not turn you off Ferrari.
    Or is it that unless you are willing to pay substantially over MSRP you would not be able to get a 430 Spider.

All in good fun.

love the Big B~~~

gorgeous twin-turbo 12 cylinder...

Quote:
    nberry said:Gee Mike I hope I did not turn you off Ferrari.
    Or is it that unless you are willing to pay substantially over MSRP you would not be able to get a 430 Spider.

All in good fun.

No Nick, you didn't turn me off of Ferrari.

That happened 25 years ago!

My ex-partner was a Ferrari guy and let me drive his 308GTS with the "set-and-forget" steering! It had so much friction damping in the steering gear that one could turn into a low speed corner and let go of the wheel and the 308 would continue the turn as if the pilot were still connected.

Yuch.

Then I had a little race on the way back from lunch in 1982 with his 365GT4BB Boxer and my 2.8 twin-plug 911. When he took off I thought I was going to crash into his rear bumper as I overtook him. I think he was kind of pissed.

Oh well.

Plus, the driving position was for long-armed monkeys. My knees were around my ears if I adjusted the seat for proper arm shoulder-to-wheel separation.

I guess I was born to NOT be a Ferrari guy.

Quote:
    edz61 said:The CGT pulls like a mofo on the freeway But it's no Porsche "Nothing even comes close".

It may not be a Porsche, but it doesn't ride like a Porsche either.

But, it's still mo$%h*r f@!k&*ng fast!

I'm 56.

Age has its privileges.

The Bentley GTC is probably quicker between 140 and 180 mph then a F430 and is more practical for road trips. Its performance and useability really makes F cars seem like they left something out.

Isn't the maserati MC12 a convertible, additionally the Carerra GT?.. wtf are these idiots talking about?

Fastest ultra luxury convertible- I will agree (however, what dumbass will drive a convertible at 190 (anyone w/ a convertible knows that if a fleck of dust or a knat were to hit you at that speed there would be some major problems... and I have issues if some dust gets in my eyes at 70mph).

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The Bentley GTC is probably quicker between 140 and 180 mph then a F430 and is more practical for road trips. Its performance and useability really makes F cars seem like they left something out.

599/612 w/their 30gall fuel tanks...or 740lb-ft 65s w/their 27gall tanks (vs B's meager <24gall tank) are far more relevant GT/mobile office commuter cars IMO.

B's are typically just sighted in the fast-food drive thrus in LA, driven by some rapper/rapper wannabe.....

Don't know many owners of $150K+ cars who care for road trips of greater than 75mis or so anyway ......SF to Napa's French Laundry or BelAir to Laguna's Montage resort are prob lims of most affluent guys' tolerance for sitting in any car, esp in inevitable traffic of any economically relevant urban region/playground for rich.....e.g., NYC guys copter the 80mis to Hamptons....and everyone of means just fuels up their bird (or flies that favorite discount airline called NetJets ) to do SF/LA to LV or London to Paris/MC, etc anyway.....

LOL, who with a new Bentley would stoop to ..commuting. That is a word really for those who must work, isnt it?

Let the working nouveau riche toil in their offices. Bentley people often "summer" in the Hamptons or "winter"
    im Vail, Jackson Hole or a 20,000sq ft hovel in Montana.
    A AWD Bentley is very useful to have around. Lots of owners have ferraris also, but they dont drive them much or they dont bother with F cars anymore because in many circles they are seen as vulgar and pretentious.

I fear you are geography challenged Lots of people actually drive from Rancho Mirage to Vegas or from point to point in Florida. Some dont have to worry about time away from.."work." For those drives, a Bentley is perfect. Even to just grab some snacks at Ralphs its perfect.

Net Jets? Sorry, Im not impressed. A executive 737 is the real machine to have. Affluent guys? What category of lifestyle is that? Blackberry addicts? Two or three cell phones? Workaholic with no time? Office addicts? Soon to be DOA or worse I think. If you can't afford your time, you are poor no matter how many shares of this or that you own.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Good points. My wife and I both enjoy road trips in nice cars.

Here's more:

1) Bentleys are the only high-style, high-performance, sporting make around that doesn't give me issues with fitting comfortably in the car.

I was just tooling around in a Cayman the other day (demo/loaner - long story) and I was so disappointed in its lack of leg room. I wouldn't possibly be happy owning it. It was actually painful to drive after a while because of the seating constriction.

All Ferraris used to be the same way. Many Porsches are still too small in one dimension or another for me. The Carrera GT has barely enough leg room to make it a keeper.

Bentley interior dimensions, on the other hand, have been massaged towards professional athletes, an important market segment for any uber-priced autos. Their newest range of models (GT, Flying Spur, GTC) have extremely accommodating interiors for someone my size (6'4"/1,93m). Their seating ergonomics are quite superior compared to any other "fast" car I have ever tried, including the latest M5.

Interestingly, my 5'0"/1,53m wife remarked after test drives of the GT and Spur that they were very comfortable for her to drive while she ordinarily has trouble seeing out of or comfortably handling the usual "big" style cars (she drives an A4).

2) Since I like to drive nice vehicles year-round, all wheel drive is a necessary ingredient for deriving optimum value from a purchase. My "big thing" in transportation is what I like to call "guaranteed mobility". Bentley's association with VW/Audi has made competent AWD an attractive selling feature of the latest cars.

All this adds up to more value for my use than my 996TT Cabriolet. More interior & luggage room for trips, more comfort on less-than-perfect roads, better NVH scores, longer cruising range, same or higher valet/curb-appeal scores, and comparable freeway-traffic performance and back-road (W/FEMALE PASSENGER ABOARD!) zest.

There's no doubt in my mind which car I'd prefer to take for a weekend trip to Chicago. It wouldn't be the TT Cab.

I'll probably be a customer unless my wife decides to get a GTC instead of her A4. She likes the Continental GT a whole lot.

That Blue one you posted sure looks beautiful. I think it looks better with the top down which is rare in a cab. All the reasons you gave make it a real dream to own. I say buy it and enjoy Don't forget to post pics and a review. Good luck!

Mike the 430 has a lot more room than the CGT. You probably would fit comfortably. Also, reliability has been improved substantially. However, I have no doubt the Bentley is more comfortable and it certainly is beautiful.

Ferrari might want to consider building a modern Mondial.
    Some customers actually like to take road trips and have the top down with room for luggage and some back seats.

Not every one wants a sports car only built to a neo Beau Brummel design philosophy. There is room in the marketplace for more useable and fun designs.

bentley? nice volkswagen!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    LOL, who with a new Bentley would stoop to ..commuting. That is a word really for those who must work, isnt it?

Let the working nouveau riche toil in their offices. Bentley people often "summer" in the Hamptons or "winter"
    im Vail, Jackson Hole or a 20,000sq ft hovel in Montana.
    A AWD Bentley is very useful to have around. Lots of owners have ferraris also, but they dont drive them much or they dont bother with F cars anymore because in many circles they are seen as vulgar and pretentious.

I fear you are geography challenged Lots of people actually drive from Rancho Mirage to Vegas or from point to point in Florida. Some dont have to worry about time away from.."work." For those drives, a Bentley is perfect. Even to just grab some snacks at Ralphs its perfect.

Net Jets? Sorry, Im not impressed. A executive 737 is the real machine to have. Affluent guys? What category of lifestyle is that? Blackberry addicts? Two or three cell phones? Workaholic with no time? Office addicts? Soon to be DOA or worse I think. If you can't afford your time, you are poor no matter how many shares of this or that you own.

is someone supposed to be impressed by this?

The bentley isn't a commuting car--- it's a car that goes out when you want to do something (or at least the CGT is). I would use it to go out to dinner or to goto the beach- or to a club or something like that. I wouldn't use it on a 50 mile one way drive to goto work. That's what a mercedes, audi, and bmw are for.

Quote:
    0two9 said:
    Isn't the maserati MC12 a convertible, additionally the Carerra GT?.. wtf are these idiots talking about?

Fastest ultra luxury convertible- I will agree (however, what dumbass will drive a convertible at 190 (anyone w/ a convertible knows that if a fleck of dust or a knat were to hit you at that speed there would be some major problems... and I have issues if some dust gets in my eyes at 70mph).

"World's Fastest 4-Seat Convertible"

Icon, most of what I wrote back to VK was a facetious rejoinder to his comments about how the affluent never
    drive more than 75 miles at a time. Consider the context
    of it all.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Icon, most of what I wrote back to VK was a facetious rejoinder to his comments about how the affluent never
    drive more than 75 miles at a time. Consider the context
    of it all.

i see what you mean!
    my apologies!

What about the SuperAmerica? Faster, I think? Very, Very nice in side,I believe? Made to cruise or kill(its rivals) for sure? Besides, I see at least a couple of Bentley GT's every day. Never seen a SuperAmerica on Road. Think about which car will look better in 2016 a Bentley Boat or the classic lines of the Maranello?

I just received the Bentley GTC info package by mail. They also claim down here (Germany) that it is the fastet convertible (no further explanation). A friend of mine who owns the GT Coupe praises his car as "best car he ever bought" (and he own several high standard vehicles before).
    The downside on the Bentley GTC is it's heaviness. 2475kg "Leergewicht" (car alone) is quite impressive. This leads to problems when it comes to getting around corners. So German Magazin Autobild had a 8:40 around Nuerburgring Nordschleife which would be slower than... well a BoxsterS (which has just half of the Bentleys horsepower 280 compared to 560).

Quote:
    KeptMan said:Besides, I see at least a couple of Bentley GT's every day.

you see a couple of bentley gt's everyday in wisconsin???

I live in two places, also Scottsdale, AZ. I actually watched two Phantoms pass each other in opposite directions the other day on Pima road.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776836 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441572 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85124 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5520 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880567 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815723 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM