Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Got into some steet races last night and got embarressed by?

A freakin Scooby STi ...

Hows this to steal your thunder...

Went for a little drive last night just to get away from things...varsity work etc. Just a nice drive I thought...
    OK. Stopped at a traffic light. A car right next to me and one behind me... Car behind starts flashing his lights at me... Ok i think its some guy in a suped up Honda trying his luck. The guy then revs his car. mmm that does not sound like a Honda. Look out of the side mirror... That light looks like one from a 6 series only this does not sound like a normal 6 ... Lights go green and I give it some gas...not 100% but just to let the guy behind know I'm interested. He follows and eventually ends up next to me. By know I can see the shiny 19" wheels of a M6. At first I hesitate because... well its an M6 . Then the guy puts his foot down and as a reflex action so do I (Peer pressure ) At first the guy pulls away a bit but then afterwards I start pulling him back in... Long story short I end up about a car length in front before we call it quits, although the road had some twists in it and it was obvious that my advantage lay there... By now you can imagine I feel like I should get myself a beer ...

Anyways I end up a Mall (The Waterfront, maybe some of you guys thats been here know about it..its kinda famous/well known by tourists etc.) and get myself a Chocochino and Poppyseed muffin... Chill for a while, read some magazines then decide its time to head home again.
    On the N1 (one of our national roads/highways) a Black STi, one of the new facelifted 2.5L ones pulls up to me. I'm driving at about 80mph in 4th. Downshift to 3rd and floor it. (You can imagine by now that I'm unbeatable...hey I just drove away from a M6 ) But for some reason the Subaru just inches away. Easily. The "race" only lasted about 15sec but it was obvious the Japanese car was faster, at least in that situation .

So I then had to carry on driving home with a deflated ego... Of course when I told my friend about last night, I spoke about how I killed an M6, but the little Subaru story stayed with me .

Re: Got into some steet races last night and got embarressed by?

Well... That Impreza was probably tuned! Some people here put around 450hp in their STI's! Some even more! This people tuned their cars to be fast as possible on 400m(or 1/4 mile) run.
    My friend in F430F1 was smoked few months ago by guy in Toyota Supra! But, this Supra was tuned to around 600hp(twin turbos etc.)...
    I would never race on the street against someone in tuned STI or Supra.
    On the other hand you should see what happened to some of this tuned toys on real race track. Some of this kids turned their pride and joy upside down on track days and ended in hospital! Driving fast in the straight line is not everything I guess...

It could have been but then maybe not, those cars are quite capable... In a test one of our major magazines carried out, they found that those scoobies are even faster than Lambo Gallardo's from about 80-120kph (50-75mph) ...
    Those Supras are a different story... Even if I was driving a 997TT I'd refuse to race one of those . Same for a Nissan Skyline R-34 or even a R-33... Those cars get modded to over 900hp!!

BTW... I will only stretch my cars legs if I am 100% sure that its safe to do so... Seen to many accidents in my life so far

drag race again? bc997j don waste your time with those max power crap!

buckie can beat that sti easy

I am not quite sure what kind of car you've got - is it a 996 GT3?

You can easily tune the turbocharged engines on quite a few Japanese cars, incl. the one you mentioned. It is always a matter of technology and money - if you are looking for faster accelerations there is definately a solution!

If I were you I would't be too worried though - anyways, I do know what you go through!

take a look at these tuned supra and mine's gtr

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=C511DDF0-DF64-4208-99C5-89257DF0442B

Racing people on the public roads with souped up cars? Sorry, but you got what you deserved

Re: Got into some steet races last night and got embarressed

Hi BC997J,

I know of one Porsche no modified car would touch. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the "Speed and Sound" magazine. My friend's father Willie de Beer has his 1000hp 964TT in one of the issues. You don't know what power is until you sit in that thing. It will reach 300kph/187mph in 1 kilometer(just over half a mile) from rest.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Racing people on the public roads with souped up cars? Sorry, but you got what you deserved

I can see that you come from the UK . Racing in cities isn't particularly safe, but during the night, with no traffic and observing the traffic lights, why not? For the poor pedestrians improperly crossing the road, it surely blows, but they have no place being there anyway.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

I can see that you come from the UK . Racing in cities isn't particularly safe, but during the night, with no traffic and observing the traffic lights, why not? For the poor pedestrians improperly crossing the road, it surely blows, but they have no place being there anyway.

LOL

If it makes you feel better, while driving my slightly modded 996 C2, an eagle talon rolls up besides me sits there revving, I figured it was an easy kill, so we took off, and by the looks of it he probably didn't even think I floored it, he took off like I was standing still. I will never ever race like that until I get my 996 TT. It's incredible what those Japanese cars can do in a straight line. Does that help the pain??

Quote:
    Grant S. said:
    If it makes you feel better, while driving my slightly modded 996 C2, an eagle talon rolls up besides me sits there revving, I figured it was an easy kill, so we took off, and by the looks of it he probably didn't even think I floored it, he took off like I was standing still. I will never ever race like that until I get my 996 TT. It's incredible what those Japanese cars can do in a straight line. Does that help the pain??

A Talon is a Mitsu Eclipse and with a Turbo engine is a car to be reckoned with. 200 horsepower stock, tunable to over 500 for a reasonable amount of cash.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Come on... Its not like I went out looking for races

Plus I dont think the car was even modified, if it was then I had no idea that it was

BTW read through my posts properly, I dont usually do that and when I do, I make sure about my safety and for those in other cars around me

Sorry for the rant but I dont want you guys thinking that I'm a irresponsible guy, thats all...

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    I am not quite sure what kind of car you've got - is it a 996 GT3?

You can easily tune the turbocharged engines on quite a few Japanese cars, incl. the one you mentioned. It is always a matter of technology and money - if you are looking for faster accelerations there is definately a solution!

If I were you I would't be too worried though - anyways, I do know what you go through!

Yeap... 996 GT3 MKII

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

LOL

Re: Got into some steet races last night and got embarressed

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Hi BC997J,

I know of one Porsche no modified car would touch. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the "Speed and Sound" magazine. My friend's father Willie de Beer has his 1000hp 964TT in one of the issues. You don't know what power is until you sit in that thing. It will reach 300kph/187mph in 1 kilometer(just over half a mile) from rest.

Hey Mike Yeah I read the mag now and then If i see something on the cover that looks interesting... I know about Willie's white 911 as well... Freakin Monster.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Racing in cities isn't particularly safe, but during the night, with no traffic and observing the traffic lights, why not? For the poor pedestrians improperly crossing the road, it surely blows, but they have no place being there anyway.

I agree with Easy, but I'm in the UK too!
    Which planet are you on?

has to say uk road conditon are no good for street racing , too many holes on the surface!!

There are tons of cars that will destroy a 996 or 996GT3.
    It's the lack of torque that's the killer.
    These things (NA 911's) have less torque than a sewing machine.
    Your wasting your time thinking of racing anything stop light to stop light. Your just going to lose, feel like sh*t, and end up wanting to sell your car for something quicker.

Don't feel too bad. There's not a doubt in my mind that the Subaru was modded. A lot of people do pretty extensive mods to their car's engine, but keep the rest of the car looking stock. It creates a great sleeper that nobody expects to perform the way it does.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Your wasting your time thinking of racing anything stop light to stop light. Your just going to lose, feel like sh*t, and end up wanting to sell your car for something quicker.

Well I'm not Nick so I dont feel like sh*t if another car is faster/better than mine . I lost, felt a bit embarressed but that was it.

BTW the newer 997's are a bit torquier than previous ones... When driving a 997 Carrera S for example you can really feel the car pull harder at lower revs compared to my car. But when a GT3 opens up... WOW. The car feels like a race car and thats what I like about it. I actually prefer it like this.

Exactly. Horses for courses. Buy a 996TT or 997TT for traffic light grand prix (chipped) and a GT3 to be quicker down the twisty bits and the race type experience.

I don't find the 997S that much quicker than 996C2 and certainly up until silly speeds in straight line it sometimes lacks oomph.(I couldn't shake an M3 in straight line the other day even using 7300 throught the gears.)

But on my favourite roads with plenty of bends there's really not a lot that will stay with it for a longish distance.

But I go back to another thread where we discussed that although Porsches are not slow, PAG needs to up its game and open the gap again. Less weight and a bit more power. With less weight torque is not as important. And traction is not such an issue.

Weight reduction HAS to become Porsche's niche. Else they will just become another luxury car maker with too little touch of sportiness.

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:

Well I'm not Nick so I dont feel like sh*t if another car is faster/better than mine . I lost, felt a bit embarressed but that was it.

You are confused. I could care less about drag racing. As far as which car is better, I am ALWAYS COMFORTABLE AND SECURE WITH MY PURCHASE.

Dont worry I was just kidding around Nick

Quote:
    john999s said:
    Exactly. Horses for courses. Buy a 996TT or 997TT for traffic light grand prix (chipped) and a GT3 to be quicker down the twisty bits and the race type experience.

I don't find the 997S that much quicker than 996C2 and certainly up until silly speeds in straight line it sometimes lacks oomph.(I couldn't shake an M3 in straight line the other day even using 7300 throught the gears.)

But on my favourite roads with plenty of bends there's really not a lot that will stay with it for a longish distance.

But I go back to another thread where we discussed that although Porsches are not slow, PAG needs to up its game and open the gap again. Less weight and a bit more power. With less weight torque is not as important. And traction is not such an issue.

I agree with this entire post. However, I did feel a difference in the acceleration of the 997S (very recent experience) compared to the 996 (over a year ago). Perhaps it would not have been so noticeable if I spent more time in both cars, or had driven them closer together.

BC997J, I'm sure that STi didn't make the same music as a high-revving flat 6 in the GT3.

Not nearly... It was loud but nowhere as nice.

don't worry dude...atleast you lost in style in a Porsche

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779288 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442252 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263115 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261401 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85631 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5811 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881095 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817572 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM