Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tiptronic!

Groom, thanks for clearance! Yes, 997TT(Cobalt Blue car) is doing that at the start against 996TT!
    BTW, other car(Artic Silver) is manual with optional LSD!
    Do you really think that those drifts are possible with TIP?

well that is weird, i guess we have to ask rc about some clarifications of the 3.7sec tip time,its beyond my knowledge..
    rc! help!!!

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Groom, thanks for clearance! Yes, 997TT(Cobalt Blue car) is doing that at the start against 996TT!
    BTW, other car(Artic Silver) is manual with optional LSD!
    Do you really think that those drifts are possible with TIP?

where can we watch this race????

It is video that you have for sure BD-TT in Weissach(in Dutch). Look carefully at the start-Cobalt Blue 997 Turbo driver is building revs while holding brake pedal with his left foot(Brake lights are on and you can hear that revs are buiding up!), second later he releases brake pedal and TIP Turbo is running like hell(and beats 996 TT)from stillstand!

It has to be available in another language. I don't speak Dutch, but I do remember watching a similar video in a language I understand!
    (English or German. Think it might have been from Auto Motor & Sport TV on VOX).
    It was about the same test race though. 997TT Tip vs 996TT then vs 997TT manual.

I will post a link when I find it again.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    BTW, to achive 3.7s with TIP you should rev it up tp 6000rpm while holding brake pedal and then release it as fast as possible...

what??? where did you get that info from??? absolutly not true! and imposible to do, how could you go to 6000rpm on drive and release brakes???????
    from standstill you just have to floor the car ....

keep on dreaming

AM

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    i will definetly get tiptronic if i was to get a 997tt, i have said many time that the 3.7sec in tip could be achieved by anyone!just floor it! in order to get 3.9 in the manual you have to be walter rohl,and ,take out 30% of the life of your clutch,coz you will have to release the clutch at 5000rpm,to get this time.the best time a normal driver could get is around(my guess) 4.5sec. so next time at a red light if you get smoked by a grandpa of 76years in a tip997tt , dont bother and go to the dealer telling him the car has a problem....

or the grandpa is driving a MB SL 63 AMG

AM

yes I found it!!! It has the silver tt going around the little track in the rain...right??

Yes BD, that one!
    That silver one(S-G18) is manual with optional LSD!

Thats absurd, most drivers who order a manual will forgoe the tip because they know how to drive a stick well and will be able to crackt he 4 second barrier. Its not that hard when your car has 505 torque and awd. I would never order tip. Who cares if you lose to a fellow 997tt tip in a drag race? RC why do you care about those 2 tenths of a second to 60? Won't you miss the fun and satisfaction that comes with a 6 speed manual. How many of you actually drag race your cars? I think this obsession with tiptronic is ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if the gap between stick and tip closes greatly when tested by car mags.
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    i will definetly get tiptronic if i was to get a 997tt, i have said many time that the 3.7sec in tip could be achieved by anyone!just floor it! in order to get 3.9 in the manual you have to be walter rohl,and ,take out 30% of the life of your clutch,coz you will have to release the clutch at 5000rpm,to get this time.the best time a normal driver could get is around(my guess) 4.5sec. so next time at a red light if you get smoked by a grandpa of 76years in a tip997tt , dont bother and go to the dealer telling him the car has a problem....

Quote:
    trip said:
    Thats absurd, most drivers who order a manual will forgoe the tip because they know how to drive a stick well and will be able to crackt he 4 second barrier. Its not that hard when your car has 505 torque and awd. I would never order tip. Who cares if you lose to a fellow 997tt tip in a drag race? RC why do you care about those 2 tenths of a second to 60? Won't you miss the fun and satisfaction that comes with a 6 speed manual. How many of you actually drag race your cars? I think this obsession with tiptronic is ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if the gap between stick and tip closes greatly when tested by car mags.
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

Very true. It's weird how everybody keeps praising the technological advances of the new Turbo, but nobody stops to think that perhaps it will be much easier to achieve a good 0-100 km/h time with the manual car, compared to the 996TT, due to its advanced all-wheel-drive. Certainly not much harder than with a 997TT Tip, at least if you know how to shift.

This is all working exactly as Porsche wants it to. They will sell a lot of their Tiptronic transmissions this year.

I won't be driving around constantly timing myself from 0-60, 0-100 or whatever. I just want to enjoy the ride, and, for me, that means 6-speeds and 3 pedals.

Quote:
    dhayek said:

You hit the nail on it's head, Dimitri. The manual "may" provide a "minuscle" advantage on the track in combination with the LSD but for daily driving and even certain tracks, the Tiptronic is superior. Porsche claims now for the Tiptronic a shifting time AT LEAST as fast as the fastest shifter. The advantages of the manual tranny are almost gone and in the hands of an amateur driver (and I'd say that 99% of us are amateur drivers, more or less talented and/or experienced), the Tiptronic surely provides a better performance.

But I understand the people who went for manual, however they should be aware that, like Dimitri just pointed out, ANYBODY can outrun them in a Tip 997 Turbo. I saw a short video from prototype testing where a 997 Turbo with Tip was starting off from standstill. Even 10 minutes after the short clip, my mouth was still open. The car went off like a rocket, never saw such a thing, unbelievable.

i cant wait for my tip...

Quote:
    TX 911 said:
    This is all working exactly as Porsche wants it to. They will sell a lot of their Tiptronic transmissions this year.

I won't be driving around constantly timing myself from 0-60, 0-100 or whatever. I just want to enjoy the ride, and, for me, that means 6-speeds and 3 pedals.

Damn Straight. Long Live The 6 Speed!!!

Personally I think Tip is boring just like my Cayenne-S. No driver involvement, just push the gas and go similar to go carts in disneyland.

I agree too. 6spd is such a better driving experience that I wouldn't care if my car was a few tenths slower. Where exactly are all these 911 Turbo drag races going to be taking place that I keep hearing about? Sounds a bit silly to me...

Maybe a refresher is needed about the new Tiptronic.

1. It costs more

2. It weighs more

3. It will cost more to fix or replace

4. It can give fast uniform launch's from a stand still

5. Its shifting is claimed quicker than the manual

Why didn't they develop a LSD to maximize the Tips "optimization" even more?

Probably in the 997TTs development they tweaked the Tip to integrate with the AWD system and engine controls and stumbled upon the fact that it gives quicker, more uniform launch's than a manual can. Nice bonus.

But if it really is that all better for sportiness, whats with the awful tactile design and feel of the buttons on the steering wheel? Their look doesnt seem to imply new
    and exciting and better.

Is Porsche Motorsports crying to get it? I dont think so.

Its very nice for customers with a SL mindset or for those who dont care to row gears in rush hour traffic. Will it be as much fun as a manual on a open stretch of road? Doubt it.

Quote:
    RC said:

I saw a short video from prototype testing where a 997 Turbo with Tip was starting off from standstill.

someone here need to see that video..

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Maybe a refresher is needed about the new Tiptronic.

1. It costs more

2. It weighs more

3. It will cost more to fix or replace

4. It can give fast uniform launch's from a stand still

5. Its shifting is claimed quicker than the manual

Why didn't they develop a LSD to maximize the Tips "optimization" even more?

Probably in the 997TTs development they tweaked the Tip to integrate with the AWD system and engine controls and stumbled upon the fact that it gives quicker, more uniform launch's than a manual can. Nice bonus.

But if it really is that all better for sportiness, whats with the awful tactile design and feel of the buttons on the steering wheel? Their look doesnt seem to imply new
    and exciting and better.

Is Porsche Motorsports crying to get it? I dont think so.

Its very nice for customers with a SL mindset or for those who dont care to row gears in rush hour traffic. Will it be as much fun as a manual on a open stretch of road? Doubt it.

Very true. I think the Tip would have much better use in the US, since heavy traffic and speeds under 120 mph are more common there. Might make some ex-SL55 owners very happy .
    For me, it's over 200 km/h in the straight line most of the time, or some very fast cornering on forrest and mountain roads. I'll take an LSD equipped 6-spd X50 TT any day.

Im glad to see there is still strong support for the 6 spd after all the stupid tip propaganda. I feel sorry for those duped into buying the tip. Suckers...

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    someone here need to see that video..

It has been taken with a phone camera, quality was pretty good (Nokia N90) but the video stays where it is...in the phone. For good reasons...phones have to be turned off...

Quote:
    trip said:
    Im glad to see there is still strong support for the 6 spd after all the stupid tip propaganda. I feel sorry for those duped into buying the tip. Suckers...

I hope you think the same when Paris Hilton stands at the red light next to you in her white 997 Turbo Tiptronic.

Picking the tip simply because it's faster, to me, that's more fun.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

I hope you think the same when Paris Hilton stands at the red light next to you in her white 997 Turbo Tiptronic.

Exactly. When she won't be able to press the gas pedal all the way down with her high hells, I'll be GLAD I'm not driving the exact same car as that twat.

The one thing that I really think is amusing is the whole Tip argument about if the person gets a Tip, they will get smoked by some chick in another TT.

When was the last time you drag raced the same car! If I saw a fellow driver, I would salute him, not invite him into a clenching race to the death!

"En garde fellow compatriot! It is time i demonstrate that my similar model is superior!" Hilarious

At least here in the US, the tiptronic has typically been the choice for women and male hairdressers, and the 6 speed manual has been the choice for men. No way am I spending $150K on a Porsche and getting an automatic. I don't care if the tip is 0.8 seconds faster than the manual, I'm getting the manual.

Me also!

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    At least here in the US, the tiptronic has typically been the choice for women and male hairdressers, and the 6 speed manual has been the choice for men. No way am I spending $150K on a Porsche and getting an automatic. I don't care if the tip is 0.8 seconds faster than the manual, I'm getting the manual.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777092 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441656 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262760 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260925 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85183 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5560 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880633 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815875 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM