Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Chevy Sales men on 997 TT

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:
    Wich will go faster: american crap (being the z06) or egyptian crap (being a mule) ???

Well, an egyptian mule is still faster than a piece of belgian chocolate, right?!

C'mon guys, we're all friends here.

Of course we're all friends here. I was just joking. Hope everyone understood.

@RC

BTW, I thing belgium made a car a few decades ago. Forgot what it was. Maybe someone knows.

But even if we don't find out about it, we still contributed to all the lambos on sale. Murcielago and gallardo (including the spyder) were designed by the belgian dude who works for Seat now.

So the question is, is a egyptian mule faster than a murcielago you have to push yourself ? (as the engine is not made by belgians obviously)

Agreeed for shure, tip 997tt, sport c is going to shred. RC, did you order your turbo with tip or without? I read it in a forum but have forgotten.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Where is this video?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7835511394365582832&q=porsche+carrera&pl=true

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    General tip for future discussions: Guys in the Middle East should refrain from making any comments that could possibly be interpreted as anti-American. Guys in United States should refrain from bashing the Middle East or Islam. Perhaps 100 years from now we won't need this reminder. But I kinda doubt it . . .

Wise words

guys... I'm a porsche owner and a bmw owner- I have yet to drive a corvette, simply b/c I don't like their styling or interior. But let's be honest- the two cars ARE sports cars. Porsche has been racing longer than Corvette. Corvette DOES race well (in sport) against many other competitors (it has won Le Mans like what 3 or 5 x's now?).

With that understood- there are some basics and it hinges on what you want to go for.

A Z06 WILL beat a porsche. We know this-- a Z06 is a very bad ass car. It will beat a normal and most likely the 997 TT porsche (that is a manual) in a straight line too.
    ( I am not too sure it would beat it on a road course, simply b/c the porsche is all wheel drive... but it would be able to keep up).

Which car is the best buy? Clearly- for most looking at what you get for the money and the perfomance you get- the Corvette Z06 is the best buy.

However, there is alot to be said about what PEOPLE WANT to getfor their money or what the car can and cannot do. Additionally, how the car is styled.

The corvette looks like a spike to me- it always has looked like a disgusting wedge of cheese and for this reason they ALL look outdated to me.
    The interior is amazingly cheap and certainly not up to par with cars in its segment (the same goes for the viper).

A corvette in my mind will NEVER be a car that one could take a business meeting or drive easily and be taken seriously.

A porsche is a car that has heritage, luxury, technology, and grace- the damn thing hasn't changes it's overall shape design since the first model.

With that understood- the interior of a porsche can be customized to one's own wallet's content. If you want carbon fiber ALL over the car- you can get it. If you want your name on the seats--- you can get it, all for a price.

Additionally, listen to a porsche and then listen to a corvette. One has a small block v8- the other has DECADES of refinement that burbles and moves you.

Truly, this convo is like an owner of a Mercedes S55 telling the guy with a Bentley Arnage T that the mercedes can kick the bentley's ass. Who cares?!... they both sorta do the same thing- thye are both heavy as hell- they both are executive cars (one is a super executive car)--- they both are sport versions. The better value is the S55--- but one can't compare an S55 to a Bentley--- they are leagues apart- so too is the corvette and the porsche.

Compare the Z06 vette to a dodge viper- that is more the speed that a person should be talking at. Or something like a kitted shelby to a caterham. A bmw to a mercedes or audi. A porsche to an Aston and with the TT's and Gt2's- to a Ferrari 430 and Ferrari Stradale--- but even then the arguements are the same.

A person that can buy a f430 can certainly afford a porsche TT--- the better value is most likely the TT. But a Ferrari looks better, sounds better, may or may not perform better- but the looks and sound and maybe the interior are MORE than one porsche can offer- for that point for that particular person- the better value lays with the ferrari.

Quote:
    A person that can buy a f430 can certainly afford a porsche TT--- the better value is most likely the TT. But a Ferrari looks better, sounds better, may or may not perform better- but the looks and sound and maybe the interior are MORE than one porsche can offer- for that point for that particular person- the better value lays with the ferrari.

Subjective. To me, a 997 looks better, sounds better and performs better (in the TT guise) than a 430. Like it has been said before, artificially inflated Ferrari mystique.
    I agree with everything else, though.

hey guys,

we are car nuts, not politicians. i really can's understand why some people tend to get so personal on this and other forums.

we share this platform for the love of cars (especially porsches of course)

therefore, we all have this in common, so lets just stick to that and share the enthusiasm.

if i, or in fact anybody disses a product, then it should be accepted as a legitimate personal opinion.

oh, and yes, chevy's are crap......

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    hey guys,

we are car nuts, not politicians. i really can's understand why some people tend to get so personal on this and other forums.

we share this platform for the love of cars (especially porsches of course)

therefore, we all have this in common, so lets just stick to that and share the enthusiasm.

Well said, thank you.

The ZO6 sucks because the car dealer didn't let me test drive it

Quote:
    RC said:
    There is ONE single thing I don't understand and maybe somebody can enlighten me because I really have absolutely no clue: I'm a Porsche addict, probably a hardcore one. I love Porsche cars and although I don't like everything Porsche does or offers, my heart is with them.
    But I would NEVER EVER go to a Corvette, Ferrari, whatever discussion forum and start to give my opinion on other cars, especially not by telling people how great my Porsche is and that THEIR cars stand no chance.

So here's the thing I don't get: why would a Corvette Z06 owner come to a Porsche forum and tell us how great his car is and what crap we actually drive? Sorry, I don't understand. From a medical psychological view, I agree that this may have to do with some sort of inferiority complex. But on the other hand, I wonder if this isn't just the result of primitive childish behaviour of some adult(s) who aren't satisfied with their life, car, marriage, business, whatever?! I don't want to offend anybody but I think that Z06 owners coming here to tell us how great their car is and that it can outrun a car (997 TT) which haven't even been reviewed yet by ANY car magazine on this planet, should really have a reality check.

Maybe I would understand such behaviour if there would have already been a direct comparison between both cars somewhere in a car magazine, no matter how trustable. Personally, I still wouldn't do it. But right now, all we have of the 997 Turbo are some pictures, some technical specs and nothing more. And Z06 owners claim the Z06 is faster, funny. Based on what? Wishful thinking?

Yes, the Z06 is fast, very fast. It outruns the 996 Turbo and Turbo S. And judging from our experience (not our fantasy ), it shouldn't have too many problems wiht outrunning the manual version of the 997 TT by a small margin. On the straight line and on dry pavement.

But the 997 Turbo is available in other "flavours" too, including Tiptronic and Sport Chrono Package. And as soon as the streets get wet, dusty or snowy, the 997 TT is by far superior. I can't say much about track capability, this is something we still haven't figured out but we're sure that sooner or later, we'll have the numbers. And honestly, I don't have a clue who is going to be faster on the track.

10-4, RC is right, if your drive a vette Z06 or not why are you on this Forum arguing while you know a Vette is a poor quality built car. So perhaps your Z06 can eat some "SOME" of the P-cars for breakfast but the Porsche Owners will eat you up and spit you out next to your poor quality built vette.

Im not going to get dragged into the Z06 debate, but honestly look at it this way: Z06=racing corvette, stripped out, light weight whatever....If your going to compare, why use the turbo? why not the super porsche that has no backseats, no sunroof, and is the "top of the range" its called the GT2 and its not even here yet; but its peaking its head out now;)

yeah but I wouldn't compare even those two- why? the Z06 is built to be driven everyday (and can be).... and it only costs so much- (like 85k for every option that they offer). For that it truly should only considered to maybe a 911 TT. The car can be tracked- but it's not exclusively a track car.

The 911 GT2.... I would dare anyone to try and drive 100 miles with it or go in the rain with it--- ur going to have some problems. (first it is rear wheel drive, and I believe it doesn't have PSM) additionally, it costs as much as a ferrari. So- in that sense... u know ur getting a race car from the begining in regards to a porsche b/c of inflated costs. The best best would be to consider it with a Ferrari Stradale or something like. The Z06 is a tuned sports car--- opposed to the sports car that generally only gets 400hp and is not built for real sporty stuff.

Quote:
    0two9 said:
    yeah but I wouldn't compare even those two- why? the Z06 is built to be driven everyday (and can be).... and it only costs so much- (like 85k for every option that they offer). For that it truly should only considered to maybe a 911 TT. The car can be tracked- but it's not exclusively a track car.

The 911 GT2.... I would dare anyone to try and drive 100 miles with it or go in the rain with it--- ur going to have some problems. (first it is rear wheel drive, and I believe it doesn't have PSM) additionally, it costs as much as a ferrari. So- in that sense... u know ur getting a race car from the begining in regards to a porsche b/c of inflated costs. The best best would be to consider it with a Ferrari Stradale or something like. The Z06 is a tuned sports car--- opposed to the sports car that generally only gets 400hp and is not built for real sporty stuff.

If you think a GT2 is a handful in the rain, try the Corvette. The Z06 can't be compared to the TT, since they are totally different vehicles. One is a luxurious and sporty AWD GT, while the other is a stripped-down RWD car. Cost is no factor here. If they (Vette fans) dare compare the car to the TT, they'll just have to compare it to its true competition, the GT2.
    Simple as that.

Given all the spouting of opinions here, it would be nice to know who has actually driven the cars they criticize.

RC is making it pretty clear with his typical (and necessary) "talking through the flowers" thing that he has either driven or witnessed himself the 997TT/Z06 comparison.

mcdelaug

I guess it's about a little bit of intermarque respect. No matter the result of the magazine or RC's tests (within reason), I know what brand I'm going for. It's just a question of tip or PDK!

The nice thing about living down-under is that we don't have those American brands here (we have localised versions if any).

(p.s. I love VTEC too!).

Quote:
    Jay said:
    The nice thing about living down-under is that we don't have those American brands here (we have localised versions if any).

You can't buy a Corvette in Australia?

How quaint.

What Australian owned car brands are there?

You should be so lucky anyone sends you anything.

And after the local Steyr AUG debacle, a rather simple item to make,Id be careful of anything made locally down under, even a rickshaw.

There are no independent Australian brands, but the local GM and Ford subsidiaries build their own models.
    The lower end of their product range is made of European models. The higher end is specific. I don't think US models are imported.

The most well-known Australian car in the US is the Pontiac GTO (which was sold down under as Holden Monaro for ages before it eventually came to the US).

66 pontiac gto is a classic.
    new ones are crap

I've never seen a corvette on the street but there is an importer. Here's there 5 star premesis: [image]http://www.corvette.com.au/adm/thumb2.aspx?src=/_images/C6Z06 010.jpg[/image]

and if you thought that was good look at this interior:
    [image]http://www.corvette.com.au/adm/thumb2.aspx?src=/_images/interior rhd.JPG[/image]

There's a few Crossfires hanging around the streets, but most sports car people think their ugly and prefer to go Japanese. Their 4 door sedan (whatever it's called), is becoming a popular bling car as many people (somehow) get it muddled with a Bentley CGT.

The Holden (GM) / Ford V8s (and variants) are the bulk of the local market and then there's the Japanese / Euro imports. The GM/Ford races (known as V8 SuperCars) have a cult-like following.

Otwo 9 obviously you've never driven (or actually never even been inside) a GT2...

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    In CA a P-car is a P-car regardless of it's performance and the Z06 is just a Chevy

In the parts of California I hang around, a P-car is way more common " car " than a non-truck based Chevy -branded vehicle.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776957 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262738 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85147 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880593 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815781 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM