Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Fifth Gear: lottery winner chooses a sportscar...

Great episode last night. I think it will be repeated tonight (if you missed it the first time). A lottery winner chooses which Pounds100k sportscar he wants to get.

Which car would you have chosen?

Re: Fifth Gear: lottery winner chooses a sportscar...

Yeah, it was a great episode! I'm surprised that the DB9 wasn't on offer!!!
    I have to say that he's made the right choice given what he's looking for. What a lucky chap!
    It was slightly annoying that he didn't even want to get into the 997!! I wonder if he would have been moved by the 997TT??
    I would have gone for a DB9 though meself!

I have to say the guy was incredibly boring and like a fish out of water. You'd have thought he'd be excited at the prospect of buying a supercar but he looked totally non-plussed by it all as he went round all of the P1 club cars. He was hardly giving the F430 any stick at all when he drove it so I don't think he is the type of driver who will enjoy that sort of car long term. I'll bet he ends up not buying a supercar at all but sticks to something like a Merc E class instead. His most "extravagant" motoring purchase by his own admission thus far was a Fiat camper van for Pounds39k after all.... sums it up really

Ford GT all the way!!!

Murcielago without question.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    .... a Fiat camper van for Pounds39k after all.... sums it up really

To be honest, you've gotta be a lottery winner to shell out 39k for a piece-o-crap camper van! Why do people do it!!? (it was probably his wife's choice.....)

Quote:
    moto said:
    Yeah, it was a great episode! I'm surprised that the DB9 wasn't on offer!!!
    I have to say that he's made the right choice given what he's looking for. What a lucky chap!
    It was slightly annoying that he didn't even want to get into the 997!! I wonder if he would have been moved by the 997TT??
    I would have gone for a DB9 though meself!

Which one did he choose? It is hardly surprising if he did not pick the 997S. You all probably know why. Its..

Quote:
    nberry said:

Which one did he choose? It is hardly surprising if he did not pick the 997S. You all probably know why. Its..

The answer would please you... it's the F430 he chose!
    For what he was looking for, it was indeed a no-brainer. Even the AMV8 seemed dull compared to the F430.

Quote:
    moto said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

The answer would please you... it's the F430 he chose!
    For what he was looking for, it was indeed a no-brainer. Even the AMV8 seemed dull compared to the F430.

The guy is entitled to a wild fling after winning the lottery. He'll get around to the 911 when his feet are back on the ground and he has had time to realize where true value lies.

i'd take the murcie without hesitation

Quote:
    moto said:
    Quote:
    ISUK said:

To be honest, you've gotta be a lottery winner to shell out 39k for a piece-o-crap camper van! Why do people do it!!? (it was probably his wife's choice.....)

Maybe because that is what he wanted. Don't be so judgemental jst because you drive a German car. I would not "shell out" any amount for a piece of crap BMW!

Harsh but point taken!
    But GBP40k - that's almost 80k USD for this....

I'm sure it's very luxurious.....but that's Z06 kinda money!
    I know, I know! He's a lottery winner so whatever floats his boat! I'm not being judgemental.....

Quote:
    moto said:
    Harsh but point taken!
    But GBP40k - that's almost 80k USD for this....

I'm sure it's very luxurious.....but that's Z06 kinda money!
    I know, I know! He's a lottery winner so whatever floats his boat! I'm not being judgemental.....

You are very cool, man. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    moto said:
    Quote:
    ISUK said:

Maybe because that is what he wanted. Don't be so judgemental jst because you drive a German car. I would not "shell out" any amount for a piece of crap BMW!

Aaaah, but you WOULD shell out any amount of money for a piece-of-crap Corvette .
    Just kidding, of course, but shelling out such a huge amount of money for a camper van, which you'll MAYBE use for two weeks during the entire year seems like lunacy.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I have to say the guy was incredibly boring and like a fish out of water. You'd have thought he'd be excited at the prospect of buying a supercar but he looked totally non-plussed by it all as he went round all of the P1 club cars. He was hardly giving the F430 any stick at all when he drove it so I don't think he is the type of driver who will enjoy that sort of car long term. I'll bet he ends up not buying a supercar at all but sticks to something like a Merc E class instead. His most "extravagant" motoring purchase by his own admission thus far was a Fiat camper van for Pounds39k after all.... sums it up really

Why do people who dont have something always like to knock others and criticise..it's his money, he can do what the f*** he wants with it. He has had some fantastic luck, I say good luck to him. The whole jealousy thing seems to be rife in the UK amongst people who dont have what others do. When I see somebody with a great car I wish them well. Leave it at that. Do you even know this guy personally? How can you make a judgement on somebody unless you know them

Jeez....lighten up! My comment was said tongue in cheek hence the smilie at the end.

Had he picked the 997S, it would be deified as a very savvy astute sport car person. In fact, he is just that given his choice of the 430.

i would pick the murcielago without hesitation....

I saw the show yesterday night and I think that it was a no brainer. He was looking for an exotic and out of all the 15 cars the F430 is pretty much the best out of the bunch. On the downside the F430 is extremly hard to get, the waiting lists are crazy world wide and the used ones are being sold for 30-70k over sticker price.

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    ... or 30-70k over sticker price.

People must be insane to shell out that much for a premium to get a used car - I hae experienced the 360 last weekend and as much as it was very uhm... characterful and charming I would have had a hard time to dig out more than 100 thousand bucks for that car - except for the Stradale maybe!

The fact that he wasn't very enthusiastic about the cars and driving them seems to characterize his attitude. Hey, some people just need a nice car to cruise around, Ferrari even set up the 430 very comfortable. Guess why? Nick probably haven't needed to find the switch to close the roof...

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Jeez....lighten up! My comment was said tongue in cheek hence the smilie at the end.

So why did you send me a long PM to the complete opposite effect??(Which after reading the first few lines of, I deleted....) - maybe I should have posted it here rather than delete it but that is not my style... Just reinforces my point - I have worked and lived both in Europe, the Far East and the US and I find the British to have a very weird attitude to success. I watched the same program as everybody else and I saw a nice, family oriented guy, from a normal background, who was in a very lucky position. Whichever car he chose, it was his choice. Why criticise his driving, his taste, his family -etc.
    I work with people of all types and in my industry the unsung heroes who often make a huge difference to the success of a project are people just like this lottery winner. It is because of ordinary people like him that my company is successful and I can afford my toys. Good luck and well done to him. ISUK please do not send me any more PM's which I consider abusive.

Its a shame they showed him just the "common" vin ordinaire exotics. So many better choices out there than "everymans" 997s, F430's etc..

What about that fellow who makes those perfect 962's for the street? Or maybe signing up for the Ferrari FXX program?
    Or a MC12 with a matching carbon fiber take down fly fishing kit for Salmon fishing in Scotland?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Its a shame they showed him just the "common" vin ordinaire exotics. So many better choices out there than "everymans" 997s, F430's etc..

What about that fellow who makes those perfect 962's for the street? Or maybe signing up for the Ferrari FXX program?
    Or a MC12 with a matching carbon fiber take down fly fishing kit for Salmon fishing in Scotland?

just FYI:

the FXX programme is even more exclusive than the enzo, only 30-40 ferrari customers were SELECTED to do it.

but yes, i agree with the not so ecclectic selection. then again, they are a car show and it gave them an excuse to compare the F430 to the aston.

it was all probably very heavily scripted, if you watch the episode, you can see that the guy has no idea and the interview guy from fifth gear basically has to nudge the guy in the right direction when it comes to the discussion and driving the car.

i like how the episode ends "come along i will show you how to drive it properly"

one really has to watch it to realize how oblivious this guy was, he either didn't care or wasn't too bright.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    luwalira said:

People must be insane to shell out that much for a premium to get a used car.

Well some people can afford to do so and waiting 2-3 years for your Ferrari is probably a lot worse than paying 30k over sticker price. Additionally 1 year old exotics usually don't haven't been used to much either.

what the hell, no CGT?

honestly thats the first thing I would purchase no bs!

then I would buy a little bit of world piece

good point actually!
    The selection was limited by what Damon Hill's car club had at the time....oh, i think his budget was around 100k GBP so the CGT may fall outside of that?

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    luwalira said:

People must be insane to shell out that much for a premium to get a used car - I hae experienced the 360 last weekend and as much as it was very uhm... characterful and charming I would have had a hard time to dig out more than 100 thousand bucks for that car - except for the Stradale maybe!

The fact that he wasn't very enthusiastic about the cars and driving them seems to characterize his attitude. Hey, some people just need a nice car to cruise around, Ferrari even set up the 430 very comfortable. Guess why? Nick probably haven't needed to find the switch to close the roof...

Ferdie the 430 is a vast improvement over the 360. Also,my top is always up unless the car is being driven.

I wonder how I can view the clip. Does anyone have a link?

Nick,

You can view it here 5th Gear Lottery Winner clip

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Nick,

You can view it here 5th Gear Lottery Winner clip

Thank a lot! Interestingly his reaction is no different than most people who are fortunate to drive the car let alone own one.

BTW I have no doubt had the 997TT been in the mix his decision would have been the same. Also, I would wager he would not sit in the turbo as he refused to do in the 997S.

What I find even more amusing than 5th Gear is that the person who sent me a pompous, arrogant PM on this subject and roasted the lottery winner then overnight changed his profile to reflect ownership of a car that he (allegedly) had already sold on his profile a day earlier, and decided to upload a picture of a Ferrari to give himself more credibility (in his own mind maybe).. --sorry I couldnt resist posting this - are people in this world really so bothered about such things?? In the US there is a term 'player hater'...but I love a bit of amusement..you have to be able to take criticism if you are going to give it out so heavily.. And honestly I am not bothered in the least by what you said, I was just playing with a player hater...!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778473 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442122 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262998 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261286 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85532 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880962 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816767 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM