Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Chevy Sales men on 997 TT

Went to selman chevrolet yesterday and looked at a Z06 red, and asked sales guy what he thought about new 997tt performance compared to Z06, he said from latest reports that even the 997tt will not be able keep up with the Z06!
    He told me he owns a black one and would race any owner of a 997tt when they get one, so if there is anyone in southern cali who is getting a 997tt there is a guy names James Adams at selman chevy who would like to give both cars a run... to me he was a jackass, and just wanted to see the build quality, lastly his opinion on P-cars is that they just look nice and are not fast at all...even sayin the base C5 would kick 997S butt....just wanted to let everyone know that it seems chevy people are very cocky now days..

Re: Chevy Sales men on 997 TT

oh no, not another chevy vs porsche thread !

chevy is crap. strong engine, yes, other than that its cheap american crap.

here we go again...

Quote:
    996cal said:
    Went to selman chevrolet yesterday and looked at a Z06 red, and asked sales guy what he thought about new 997tt performance compared to Z06, he said from latest reports that even the 997tt will not be able keep up with the Z06!
    He told me he owns a black one and would race any owner of a 997tt when they get one, so if there is anyone in southern cali who is getting a 997tt there is a guy names James Adams at selman chevy who would like to give both cars a run... to me he was a jackass, and just wanted to see the build quality, lastly his opinion on P-cars is that they just look nice and are not fast at all...even sayin the base C5 would kick 997S butt....just wanted to let everyone know that it seems chevy people are very cocky now days..

That's what you get for asking a Chevy dealer. Of course heś going to badmouth Porsches, that's all he can do.

Quote:
    intouch1 said:

I'm afraid you can't say that, the Z06 is not the C6, even if some Chevy owners tend to believe that the Z06 is just a modded C6.
    From all I know (not heard!), the Z06 is a pretty fast car and I doubt that a 997 Turbo with manual transmission can outrun it on the straight line, like it or not.

With a Tip equipped 997 Turbo, things look different. If this car is equipped with sport chrono too, the Z06 stands no chance on the straight line, even up to higher speed ranges (unfortunately I can make my statement only for speeds up to 240 kph). I can't go into details, you just have to trust me, Porsche AND Chevy owners.

Can't say much about track performance but in the latest Sport Auto, they tested the Z06 in Hockenheim and performance was VERY impressive, practically at par with the 996 GT2 MkII. BUT: the Z06 isn't easy to drive at the limit and a halfway talented 997 Turbo driver would give a Z06 a pretty hard time on the track since the new electronically controlled AWD is worth gold, it delivers a very impressive performance.

But to have a valid comparison between both on the track, we need to wait for a first track test of the 997 Turbo.

So both cars are very impressive performers but as a Z06 owner and non-professional driver, I would be pretty worried to have a Tiptronic/Sport Chrono equipped 997 TT next to me. Because even a granny could do 0-60 mph in 3.4 seconds, I doubt that most Z06 drivers are capable to hit under 3.6 seconds. Same applies to 0-125 mph performance where both cars have aprox. the same performance (Tiptronic 997 Turbo with Sport Chrono!) but since the 997 Turbo gets away slightly quicker and has a tiny shifting speed advantage, the Z06 stands no chance.

Now people can doubt my statements as much as they want but this time they're not based on rumors or factory claims, just for the book. I would shock you if I tell you how fast the Z06 and 997 Turbo actually are, most tuned 996 Turbo owners, even those with claimed power up to 600 HP, would be very surprised to learn how slow they are.

Around July, we're planning an "official" Rennteam comparison run (straight line only since different drivers deliver different results on the track) between a 997 Turbo Tiptronic Sport Chrono, a Z06, a Lamborghini Gallardo SE and a tuned Sportec 996 Turbo. Til then...trust my words or not but since I know what I know, I'll read the followup comments to my post with a smile on my face.

RC, why does manual work better on GT3? systems integration with AWD etc??? Also, have you heard at all whether the PDK will synchronize as well as the tip with these systems?

Cheap American Crap

Look, I wouldn't drive a 'vette but reality is that it is as "storied" a brand as the 911 and there was even a 'vette before there was a 911. If you read the European mags (which have never been kind to vettes before), they are more than kind to the Z06. Most feel that it is the first vette worth owning and a real competitor to the famed European marques.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt

Quote:
    RC said:
    Around July, we're planning an "official" Rennteam comparison run (straight line only since different drivers deliver different results on the track) between a 997 Turbo Tiptronic Sport Chrono, a Z06, a Lamborghini Gallardo SE and a tuned Sportec 996 Turbo.

What are the specs of the Sportec one? 540, 580?

As a sidenote, there are already at least 2 people in Switzerland who canceled their GT3 in favor of the Z06...

I want to go to that Rennteam comparison run, but since I live so far I will have to wait for results. Lots of pictures PLEASE and maybe a video or two

I bet the 997TT w/Tip is going to whip some a**es

The Z06 is a hell of a performer, bang for the bucks nothing can touch it. Nevertheless it's a Chevy. There are many reasons why that car cost less than half of the 997TT. Bottom line it will never feel like a P-Car no matter how fast it is. Offer the P-car at the same price and then we will see how many will pick the vette. In CA a P-car is a P-car regardless of it's performance and the Z06 is just a Chevy Corvette

Quote:
    pierre said:
    What are the specs of the Sportec one? 540, 580?

As a sidenote, there are already at least 2 people in Switzerland who canceled their GT3 in favor of the Z06...

Sportec claims "close to 600 HP" for this one and I can say that this car is really fast. But we've already done a comparison with the Z06 and I have to say...we've been VERY impressed with the Z06 performance.

Regarding the Z06 and track performance, I can't say much about it. Over here in Germany, the Corvette has a pretty bad reputation (similar to most US cars in the past), I know that in Switzerland US cars have always been viewed differently.

For serious track racing, the GT3 is surely a nice car to have in Europe. I'm pretty sure that with some experience and parts from the US, modding a Z06 for serious track racing wouldn't be a major problem and would even save some money compared to the GT3.
    But for track fun only, I'd say that the 997 Turbo is the better car because is will be easier to drive fast and provides superior traction.

It also remains to be seen how reliable the Z06 is and how the part distribution/maintenance works out in the future.
    Of course the Z06 is a bargain compared to the GT3 but I still have my doubts because the car is still too new to find a final verdict.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    I want to go to that Rennteam comparison run, but since I live so far I will have to wait for results. Lots of pictures PLEASE and maybe a video or two

We plan to make a video but don't expect something spectacular since we just want to find an empty Autobahn (or maybe a deserted airfield/closed track) to do some short acceleration runs. I don't expect to be lucky enough to hit speeds over 250 kph but we have a certain Autobahn part which may be empty. We don't want to endanger anybody.

I had somewhat of a similar experience a couple of weeks ago when I went to check out a new ZO6. When I questioned the salesman about the new Turbo, he said 'yeah, it's a nice car, but it's really just a Volkswagen.'

just to make my point more clear:

sure, the z06 is fast. might also track well. but american finishing and parts quality sucks.
    the interiors look horrible with all these cheap plastics, huge buttons and clumsy layout. leather applications look and feel cheap, generally bad fit'n'finish etc.

my brother just bought a dodge ram srt-10. supercharged it and i have to admit it goes like stink. but it feels cheap and looks cheap. on the outside it looks great. get in and you think you are in a 10,000 $ korean car.

thats how i feel about american cars in general. i don't understand why its so hard for them to change that.

Guys, why even bother asking a salesman what they think of another product that may be considered competition? What kind of response did you expect to get? Likewise, I wouldn't bother asking a Porsche salesperson what they thought of the Z06 or F430.

I've not driven a Z06, but the C6 I drove was a bit boring. In comparison, a used 90 Mazda Miata with 75k miles would be real bang for the buck, if simple undiluted pleasure is your aim. I know the Zo6 is different and I'm trying to keeping an open mind, but it sure is hard, as Chevy dealers won't let you get near one without a signed check. Maybe the stereotypes are backwards, and its the Chevy folks that are the stuck-up....well, you know.

Quote:
    intouch1 said:

I'll take that American crap over egyptian crap anyday.:)

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    The Z06 is a hell of a performer, bang for the bucks nothing can touch it. Nevertheless it's a Chevy. There are many reasons why that car cost less than half of the 997TT. Bottom line it will never feel like a P-Car no matter how fast it is. Offer the P-car at the same price and then we will see how many will pick the vette. In CA a P-car is a P-car regardless of it's performance and the Z06 is just a Chevy Corvette

And, since I am in So Cal, I will take my "just a Chevy" Z06 and put it up against your P-Car or your Bimmer and blow its doors off on any track or on any road. And my "just a Chevy" Z will outdo your P-Car in most catagories because it is far superior in most catagories.
    And I have owned my share of P-Cars and will take the Z and day of the week.Finally, for you to say that in CA a P-Car is a P-Car and a Z is just a Chevy just adds to the reputation of P-Car drivers here in so cal. And you know exactly what I am talking about!

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

And, since I am in So Cal, I will take my "just a Chevy" Z06 and put it up against your P-Car or your Bimmer and blow its doors off on any track or on any road. And my "just a Chevy" Z will outdo your P-Car in most catagories because it is far superior in most catagories.
    And I have owned my share of P-Cars and will take the Z and day of the week.Finally, for you to say that in CA a P-Car is a P-Car and a Z is just a Chevy just adds to the reputation of P-Car drivers here in so cal. And you know exactly what I am talking about!

You may do so as you wish in your beautiful chevy. It's still a Chevy and will always be a Chevy and it's superior to P-cars in terms of quantity only and not quality. It does not feel, smell or look anything like a P-car so
    Chevy.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Sportec claims "close to 600 HP" for this one and I can say that this car is really fast. But we've already done a comparison with the Z06 and I have to say...we've been VERY impressed with the Z06 performance.

What kind of start speeds (and starting gear), and what were the results?

Whenever a vette person argues for the superiority of his or her car, I find they rarely ever talk about how much fun the car is too drive or how well made it is. I am completely open to the notion that Chevrolet is capable of manufacturing an entertaining and well-made car; however many reviews of vettes over the years, including the new Z06, seem to state otherwise, whatever the performance may be. Maybe the most relevant information comes from the vette owners themselves, always giving us the same tiring adolescent drivel. The Chevy folks like quantitative measures so much, they probably would choose a wine by alcohol content.

Quote:
    C4S Surgeon said:
    Quote:
    intouch1 said:

I'll take that American crap over egyptian crap anyday.:)

Wich will go faster: american crap (being the z06) or egyptian crap (being a mule) ???

ASK a FIAT dealerperson whats better.. the new 997TT or the FIAT IDEA... than starts to cry!

Quote:
    jlr said:
    Whenever a vette person argues for the superiority of his or her car, I find they rarely ever talk about how much fun the car is too drive or how well made it is. I am completely open to the notion that Chevrolet is capable of manufacturing an entertaining and well-made car; however many reviews of vettes over the years, including the new Z06, seem to state otherwise, whatever the performance may be. Maybe the most relevant information comes from the vette owners themselves, always giving us the same tiring adolescent drivel. The Chevy folks like quantitative measures so much, they probably would choose a wine by alcohol content.

Well said

let's cool down the z06 TT stasis argument.

It's simply intractable and quite childish...

edz61.......spot on !

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

Since you despise BMWs and Porsches so much, you might reconsider your attendance here. It's obvious that our sheer ignorance is really bugging you and us not seeing the light and buying Chevies is really getting on your nerves. Now, let me just state that I would take an M6 or a standard 997 over a C6Z any day. No snobism here, but the mere thought of being associated with ignorant souls such as yourself is making me cringe.
    You don't like this board? Fine. However, unless you have some useful input, please refrain from posting such repetitive and downright childish comments. You sound like a ricer, revving his VTEC Honda and turning on 'da Nawz'.
    Seriously, look at 95jersey. The man loves Corvettes, but can actually back up his statements, which are nowhere near as childish as yours and has loads of experience. Not saying that you don't, but from what you're displaying here, all I see is trash talk from a disgruntled Corvette owner with an inferiority complex.

The Corvette Z06 is the same price roughly as a BMW 6 series or a base 997. Uses simpler, cheaper technology
    and is built in plants with lower labor costs.Tell me wich one is over priced? A loss leader for GM? hardly.

M6 Sedan? who wants a car with only a 200 mile range per tank of gas? Its dumb.

Compare a Z06 to a 997TT? For all of you dry day only track fantasists its good. But go fast in rain or go anywhere in the snow its no contest.

Quoting Chevy salesman? Thats hysterical. Its almost as ridiculous as some Porsche salesmen being completely full of BS about what options and when.

Driver sophistication. Porsche's are almost too easy to drive fast now. No skill required like before. Some of the fun is gone. Wheres the challenge for a sports car? It might as well be a GPS guided missile.

Class consciousness. Its a tie. So many stuck up Porsche
    owners wash out the Corvettes bubba factor. Its one thing to be pompous, its another to be greasy. But both are annoying and ignorant when it comes to not thinking of these cars as just fun sports cars instead of some rolling icon statement to justify their reason for having a pulse.

Jim... my heart just stopped.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777537 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441823 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262821 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261029 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85301 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5603 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880717 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816124 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM