Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 718 Boxster

RC:

Well, fritz made a good point when he reminded me of the posts I made in the past, especially in the beginning of Rennteam. Maybe I have to move on and find a new car manufacturer I am passionate about. angry

Ferrari, McLaren and Lamborghini...which one will be next? I don't know but I clearly realize that I am changing (or is it Porsche? angry).

Christian, I thought Ferrari, Lambo and McLaren wasn't in your radar because it's too falshy. I remember something you've said that neighboors was an issue and your wife was agains Ferrari as well, if I remember correct. So, now something has been changed?

--

RC:

Well, one reason I switched my 991 Turbo S for the 991 C4 GTS Cab was the exhaust/engine sound. You cannot imagine how driving fun can be killed by the lack of sound. No stereo will help with that. Smiley

I recall a few of us making exactly this point to you a couple of years back but you were in your "maximum speed is king" phase then and disagreed Smiley  You'd better be careful as you might just start liking classics next if you take one out for a drive and rediscover what "connected" motoring feels like for a weekend fun car Smiley

If you want noise and drama then Lamborghini is hard to beat. My Huracan is outrageously loud (in a good way) on start up from cold.

ISUK:
    You'd better be careful as you might just start liking classics next if you take one out for a drive and rediscover what "connected" motoring feels like for a weekend fun car Smiley

If you want noise and drama then Lamborghini is hard to beat. My Huracan is outrageously loud (in a good way) on start up from cold.

Yep, and as far as Porsche goes, an aircooled motor with aggressive exhaust with 6 carbs or 6 individual throttle bodies sounds pretty fantastic. Smiley

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/boxster/first-drives/2016-porsche-718-boxster-s-passenger-ride

Autocar Passenger ride in 718

"What's it like?

The big question that all purists will be asking is whether the engine change has ruined the character of the Boxster. One of the most appealing things about the old car was the howl from its naturally aspirated flat six.

Thankfully Porsche hasn’t tried to replicate the noise with stereo-based augmentation; instead, it's let the flat four make its own distinct noise. At idle, it has a slightly clattery edge that all horizontally opposed Porsche engines seem to make. Poke it a little and the sound changes.

You can still easily tell there’s a boxer underneath the engine cover, but there’s more of a thrum to it than before. If I’m honest, there’s a hint of Subaru Impreza overlaid with a discreet turbo whistle.

Is it as nice to listen to as the old flat six? No, sadly not. Is it an unpleasant thing to hear? Not at all. It may take some getting used to, but it’s characterful, distinctive and has just enough popping and crackling on the overrun to make you smile. Ultimately, I rather like it.

More to the point, the performance feels like it’s stepped up a notch. Even the basic 718 Boxster is quicker than the old S, while the new top rung model can hit 62mph in just 4.2sec with the dual-clutch gearbox. It also feels properly muscular with a little over 2000rpm on the tacho, something you couldn’t even say of the Boxster Spyder.

Impressions of the new Boxster's ride handling will have to wait, however. Although the cars looked production ready, the journalists weren’t allowed to wrap our hands around the newly restyled steering wheel, and our brief experience was limited to a silky-smooth track. 

Should I buy one?

No matter how much those who want Porsches to stay naturally aspirated whine and stamp their feet, you can’t stop progress. Yes, it’s a shame the 718 Boxster doesn’t sound quite as good as before, but that doesn’t make it a worse car.

Despite being more fuel efficient and cheaper to tax than before, it’s capable of speeds that would have been the preserve of fast 911s just a few years ago. Although we’ll need to get behind the wheel of one in the UK to say if you should go out and buy one, the early signs are certainly very encouraging."

Siding with RC on that one. Porsche as a sport car manufacturer has lost me as a customer because there is nothing they make that ticks all the boxes. The Panamera is boring and too expensive. Had a Boxster 18 years ago, no kids then and it was great but moved on to a 996.2 convertible 13 years ago. It was a good deal with little depreciation, an imperfect but fun good sounding car. Since then nothing interesting to upgrade to in Porsche line up. I might have moved to a GT3 with 4 seats, with or without roof but never liked the 911 turbo. And that was before the prices started to go through the roof with resale values unchanged... In my book the Ferrari California beats the 911 in every department except stealthiness.

The only reason I still have a Porsche is because the Macan turbo is the best daily driver bar the Ferrari FF.

Bottom line: Porsche is leaving a lot of potential clients on the side for no good reason...

I will be at the Geneva show on press days next week, and will post pics and impressions.  No way to judge new sound, but if anyone has any particular questions let me know.  

BTW, i am also attending several Bugatti Chiron events and will post some pics and comments on that monster as well.  

Wonderbar:

I will be at the Geneva show on press days next week, and will post pics and impressions.  No way to judge new sound, but if anyone has any particular questions let me know.  

BTW, i am also attending several Bugatti Chiron events and will post some pics and comments on that monster as well.  

Might be interesting to see the 718 with the rear wing/spoiler extended, since Porsche photographs are conspicuously absent.  More information on the McLaren 570GT is appreciated too as I am highly considering that car.  

Will do CGX..

Don't know what more a genius level company like porsche can do with turbos, water cooling, flat 4s and noise regs. At least it's quicker and handles better than the last. Boxster.  Even squirts of nitrous wouldn't change its sound. But probably many first time.Porsche customers.wont know what they are missing. So let it find its own place.

Wonderbar:

Will do CGX..

Thank you.  

SportCarGroup:
    RC:

Well, fritz made a good point when he reminded me of the posts I made in the past, especially in the beginning of Rennteam. Maybe I have to move on and find a new car manufacturer I am passionate about. angry

Ferrari, McLaren and Lamborghini...which one will be next? I don't know but I clearly realize that I am changing (or is it Porsche? angry).

Christian, I thought Ferrari, Lambo and McLaren wasn't in your radar because it's too falshy. I remember something you've said that neighboors was an issue and your wife was agains Ferrari as well, if I remember correct. So, now something has been changed?

I changed, the kids are older, my wife changed a bit as well and by the time I will get myself a Ferrari or a Lambo, I will very likely not live in Germany anymore. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

ISUK:
    RC:

Well, one reason I switched my 991 Turbo S for the 991 C4 GTS Cab was the exhaust/engine sound. You cannot imagine how driving fun can be killed by the lack of sound. No stereo will help with that. Smiley

I recall a few of us making exactly this point to you a couple of years back but you were in your "maximum speed is king" phase then and disagreed Smiley  You'd better be careful as you might just start liking classics next if you take one out for a drive and rediscover what "connected" motoring feels like for a weekend fun car Smiley

I remember the discussion and yes, performance is still very important to me (I would have never gotten my 991 C4 GTS Cab if I didn't also have the GT500) but if I remember correct, we were not discussing engine/exhaust sound and emotions but driving fun and emotions, where driving fun was more related to how the car feels and drives and of course manual vs. PDK.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I am going to take the plunge on this one despite the conventional wisdom.  My sports car "gut" tells me this car is going to be more special and enjoyable than predicted.  As far as the sound is concerned, well the PSE is a must, but if it falls flat it won't be my last car.  I thought ISUK's lichtgrun GT4 looked great so I'm going to try to PTS the 718S and I've been informed that acid green stitching is now available so we'll see how it all comes together in our brave new turbocharged world. Some one has to go first. 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Sounds great! kiss

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

congrats ! first everybody will moan around followed by everbody buying it -  always was and will be the same process within the Porsche community wink

Look at Ferrari with the 488 and California T. The moaning only lasted 3 months and one car generation. By the time the next models are out it will be a distant memory except in the hands of some collectors.

DaveC:

I am going to take the plunge on this one despite the conventional wisdom.  My sports car "gut" tells me this car is going to be more special and enjoyable than predicted.

I am a bit tempted too.  I would order a base Cayman with manual and few options, since the performance is pretty good for the money.  I think it would be a fun way to do Euro Delivery again, if I can't make some other "stretch goals" come to fruition.

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    DaveC:

I am going to take the plunge on this one despite the conventional wisdom.  My sports car "gut" tells me this car is going to be more special and enjoyable than predicted.

I am a bit tempted too.  I would order a base Cayman with manual and few options, since the performance is pretty good for the money.  I think it would be a fun way to do Euro Delivery again, if I can't make some other "stretch goals" come to fruition.

Funnily enough I've been saying that the base Cayman may be my next daily driver (but not before I am done with the M2 which is coming soon or retire it from daily driving). I think a lot of people are seeing the value of a base Cayman now that it will be priced less than the Boxster and it won't have an engine that feels as slow as a Corolla around town.  

BjoernB:

congrats ! first everybody will moan around followed by everbody buying it -  always was and will be the same process within the Porsche community wink

+1

So true.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

RC:
    JimFlat6:

For the price qnd that kind of a lap time it's more than impressive.  Just turn the stereo up.

There was obviously a Porsche event near where I live this afternoon, must have been at least a dozen cars, all white, mainly Cayenne and Macan, but in this convoy was a 991 GTS convertible, the driver floored it as he drove out of the village - the sound was really amazing. There was also a new 991/2 (couldn't see whether it had sports exhaust or not) but the thing sounded like a vacuum cleaner in comparison, such a let down. Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Sounds good Dave kiss

An interesting side note about the new 991.2 from my dealer is that they have taken a large number of orders for the base Carrera model this time around and have sold all their allocation through until November. It would seem that with the levels of torque that the base model now has it is being perceived as having more than enough power by the majority of buyers who take the demo out on a test drive so they are spending a bit more on options. I wonder if the same thing will happen with the 718 models

ISUK:

Sounds good Dave kiss

An interesting side note about the new 991.2 from my dealer is that they have taken a large number of orders for the base Carrera model this time around and have sold all their allocation through until November. It would seem that with the levels of torque that the base model now has it is being perceived as having more than enough power by the majority of buyers who take the demo out on a test drive so they are spending a bit more on options. I wonder if the same thing will happen with the 718 models

In Germany, the 991.2 Cabs seem to be sold out for 2016 but the Coupe seems to let a bit to desire regarding demand. Weird. Smiley

Btw: The new 991.2 Turbo S also seems to sell very well, very little allocations left for 2016.

--

RC:

Finally had the chance to listen to the 718 Boxster S engine/exhaust sound. Oh boy, if you think the 991.2 Carrera S with PSE sounds bad (I do not think that but anyway...), the 718 Boxster S will move you to a completely different disappointment level. I truly hope Porsche knows what they are doing here because people won't be happy with it. Not sure if there will be some sort of sport exhaust along the way but that typical Boxster flat six sound is...gone. Completely. yes I like the new look though, the Boxster has matured, almost to perfection. This can be a good or bad thing but the car looks better than the previous model in my opinion. I like the 991.1 look better than the 991.2 though.

you KNOW even Porsche  thinks it is bad when in their new video , with the car on winding roads, the narration and music volume is turned up purposefully whenever it accelerates and is dialed down for brief fractions of a second only when the ECU - programmed in " burble " on the overrun is mic'd . And the " burbling " seems more prevalent then on any of their recent 991 and 981 models ...seems that is what they are gonna do for now ...make their turbo engines " fart " on throttle back off a lot more as their new exhaust sound paradigm since the traditional Porsche ( and refined europen sports car ) motor music on ACCELERATION is now muffled away to meet noise and emissions regs 

--

2016  991 Carrera GTS  " PCA 60 "  Club Coupe       orig owner ; 1 of 60 

Interesting video. Curious to hear what all of you think if this is substance or just marketing

http://youtu.be/-Ubn7k3ZH1o

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Here is another about the sound development 

http://youtu.be/BG3blXZf56U

--

Interesting - thanks for posting

--

DaveC:

Interesting video. Curious to hear what all of you think if this is substance or just marketing

http://youtu.be/-Ubn7k3ZH1o

There was mention of a coming optional.sport.exhaust for the 718 in that video.

I do think the car looks more sleek, wider, and lower.  So the facelift is more successful from that standpoint than the 991.2.  

Since the new 718 is using VTG chargers, creating a proper sound through a flap operated exhaust will be a challenge. Also keep in mind that new noise regulations are due soon in the EU, so I'm not sure how Porsche will do it. 

Right now, there is no sport exhaust available, which is quite disappointing.

--

From the German Price List the PSE will be available w/ either silver or black tips starting 6/16 if I read the German correctly.

Sportabgasanlage1)
    Mit geänderten Hauptschalldämpfern und Sportendrohren in eigenständiger Optik aus verchromtem Edelstahl hochglänzend: – silber
    XLF
    Exclusive
    XLX
    Exclusive
    – schwarz

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802504 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448330 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265886 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89891 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6372 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885275 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831833 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM