Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed

pmarkow:

they only have about 16 months time until the presentation, so the main planning and engineering should alresdy be in a. rather solid state

Development already started quite a while ago... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

i hope they do it right. this will be my next car since my 488 speciale order is...stuck.

p

pmarkow:

... since my 488 speciale order is...stuck.

Care to shed some light on this? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    pmarkow:

my ferrari dealership has lost its contract with ferrari:::((( need to get my deposit back.

pmarkow:
    Rossi:
    pmarkow:

my ferrari dealership has lost its contract with ferrari:::((( need to get my deposit back.

Oops, that quite a big issue... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    pmarkow:
    Rossi:
    pmarkow:

Oops, that quite a big issue... Smiley

yes. it probably means getting pushed to the end of the queue with the new dealership. totally pi....ed. info came via email from ferrari

Talk to Ferrari, I'm pretty sure you can work something out with them. It wasn't your fault!

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

Talk to Ferrari, I'm pretty sure you can work something out with them. It wasn't your fault!

i am already in touch with the interim ferrari dealer for austria  (the dealership is in germany actually). at this point i am wondering how far my pre-order went. the  salesman wants to see my contract, i just emailed it to him. let us see.

peter

pmarkow:
    RC:

i am already in touch with the interim ferrari dealer for austria  (the dealership is in germany actually). at this point i am wondering how far my pre-order went. the  salesman wants to see my contract, i just emailed it to him. let us see.

peter

I would hope Ferrari doesn't make the customers pay for their arrangements/relations with their dealerships! who ever takes the dealership contract with Ferrari now needs to respect those previopus delaership customer order lists. Hope you have good luck Peter.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I am pretty confident that Ferrari will "honor" the contract in a way or another... Customers should not be responsible if dealers mess up... 

--

i am curious how they handle this..... i have my predictions but i am willing to be positively surprised.

Christian, I looked long and hard at the Huracan and concluded it's not the car for me.To my eyes it doesn't look that great. It looks stubby and porky. I didn't drive it because after studying the exterior and interior I said I would never buy this car. I honestly don't believe it is a car for you. The R8 would suit you better.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

nberry:

Christian, I looked long and hard at the Huracan and concluded it's not the car for me.To my eyes it doesn't look that great. It looks stubby and porky. I didn't drive it because after studying the exterior and interior I said I would never buy this car. I honestly don't believe it is a car for you. The R8 would suit you better.

rc, gt3.2 seems right for you. can't believe myself that i became a porsche GT fan:::))))

cheers p

pmarkow:
    nberry:

rc, gt3.2 seems right for you. can't believe myself that i became a porsche GT fan:::))))

What is it that you like so much with your GT3 RS compared to other alternatives?

nberry:

Have we met? Smiley 

Kidding aside, I think that the Huracan would suit me well. The new R8 could be the smarter choice for me because of the local dealership and because of the lesser attention it attracts ("its an Audi...") but I kind of dig the Huracan, probably because it looks very "compact" (or as you said: stubby and porky Smiley).

Actually, I love the Aventador as well but I don't think it would be the right car for me and it is outside my price range.

Saw a Mercedes S 63 AMG Coupe last weekend, I actually liked it but my wife said that this car isn't me and she is right. According to her, my 991 GTS fits me well too, so I guess she knows her man. Smiley Smiley

--

pmarkow:
    nberry:

cheers p

Peter, if I had the money to have two weekend toys, the GT3.2 would certainly be on my list. Smiley

I am looking for something more exotic and since my 991 GTS Cab will very likely go to my wife... Smiley

The 991 GT2 RS could be interesting as well but I don't have the specs yet and the price tag is not very budget friendly as well.

Speaking of the new R8 (top version) Nick mentioned: I already saw used cars for under 160k EUR over here. They don't seem to keep their value too well... Smiley

--

Kobalt:
    pmarkow:
    nberry:

What is it that you like so much with your GT3 RS compared to other alternatives?

good question....:::))) compared to the 458 and the huracan the rs feels like a race car, with rather good street manners though. the rs makes makes the 458 feel like a mercedes e class sedan (i am exaggerating of course), the turn in is certainly heavier than on a mid engined car but exit after the apex is monumental. the car just feels tight ineverything it does. the only car which gave me a similar feeling is the 458S. i have not driven the tdf though....looks: prefer the 458S but the rs looks mean enough.

dislike:too much road noise at normal highway speeds, need ear plugs. 

RC:
    pmarkow:
    nberry:

cheers p

Peter, if I had the money to have two weekend toys, the GT3.2 would certainly be on my list. Smiley

I am looking for something more exotic and since my 991 GTS Cab will very likely go to my wife... Smiley

The 991 GT2 RS could be interesting as well but I don't have the specs yet and the price tag is not very budget friendly as well.

Speaking of the new R8 (top version) Nick mentioned: I already saw used cars for under 160k EUR over here. They don't seem to keep their value too well... Smiley

rc, more exotic......hmmmmm....if you find a good-priced huracan i'd say go for it. sell the shelby though. r8? no, it is just an audi after all. super well-engineered but no spice. or a used 458 italia. it is a great car after all. p

I always want to sell the Shelby when I think about a different toy (two toys don't make sense...) but after every time I drive it, I can't.  This car is so much fun... (and fast as hell ). When you have traction issues at 120 kph, you know what I'm talking about. 

On the Autobahn, the car is amazing and nobody actually expects that kind of performance from it. My Shelby has no stripes and it (almost) looks like a regular Mustang.

I have 8000 km now, clutch died but other than that, no (real) issues. I fried the fuel tank venting tube (this happens often when you drive a lot of high speed with this car) but other than that, no other issues.

At speeds over 120 kph (up to this speed, there are traction issues, especially at temperatures under 15°C, despite the Pirelli PZero street tires), the Shelby is almost unbeatable and I'd say there aren't many cars which can follow me up to 280 kph. Over 280 kph, the pull is a bit weaker (aerodynamics and the fact that the car sits pretty high, incl. the rear tires which look a bit out of the fenders) but top speed is way over 340 kph (I lost courage at around 320 but I know a guy who owns the cab with the same mods and he hit over GPS measured 346 kph...), so... angry 

Long story short: I wish I had the money to be able to afford all the cars I desire.  laugh

--

It seems that the 2017 GTE car may not be a turbo! If this is the case, then the new GT road versions may not be turbo'd either.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-planning-factory-gte-pro-return-in-2017/

Very interesting!

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:

I always want to sell the Shelby when I think about a different toy (two toys don't make sense...) but after every time I drive it, I can't.  This car is so much fun... (and fast as hell ). When you have traction issues at 120 kph, you know what I'm talking about. 

On the Autobahn, the car is amazing and nobody actually expects that kind of performance from it. My Shelby has no stripes and it (almost) looks like a regular Mustang.

I have 8000 km now, clutch died but other than that, no (real) issues. I fried the fuel tank venting tube (this happens often when you drive a lot of high speed with this car) but other than that, no other issues.

At speeds over 120 kph (up to this speed, there are traction issues, especially at temperatures under 15°C, despite the Pirelli PZero street tires), the Shelby is almost unbeatable and I'd say there aren't many cars which can follow me up to 280 kph. Over 280 kph, the pull is a bit weaker (aerodynamics and the fact that the car sits pretty high, incl. the rear tires which look a bit out of the fenders) but top speed is way over 340 kph (I lost courage at around 320 but I know a guy who owns the cab with the same mods and he hit over GPS measured 346 kph...), so... angry 

Long story short: I wish I had the money to be able to afford all the cars I desire.  laugh

--

christian, i read you on the shelby. but as you know very well the point of a real exotic is not being the fastest kid on the block:::)))

cheers peter

Hi Spyderidol, many thanks for alerting us to this article! I guess either way, Walliser and his team must have analysed the pro and cons of going down the turbo route very thorougly.

The one thing I would be concerned about, if indeed they decided to stay with NA engines, is that the GTE class should become appreciably quicker from the 2017 season onwards and future performance gains by way of tweaks in the BoP cannot be ruled out. Is the NA flat six equipped to handle this, in other words, is there enough potential left in it to hold its own in GTE going forward once the "turbo train" has left the station for Porsche?

I have many of the same concerns too.

If the GTE 2017 RSR turns out to be NA, I guess then a turbo charged GT2 RS could not be the homologation model for it...I don't get it...maybe this is just Kremlin style disinformation.

If the GTE car is NA, then they can use the next GT3RS  as the homologation car. What is quite clear is that the 2017 GTE will have many waivers.

Spyderidol:

If the GTE car is NA, then they can use the next GT3RS  as the homologation car. What is quite clear is that the 2017 GTE will have many waivers.

I hope you're right. That means they will build another GT3RS.kiss

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

nberry:
    Spyderidol:

I hope you're right. That means they will build another GT3RS.kiss

Not making any promises Nick. This is such a succession of weird decisions from Porsche, that anything is possible.

Agreed, they started off with the mid-engine car that never saw the light of day, followed by the toss-up between turbo and NA...why they would need a full year to develop a NA RSR for 2017 is beyond me, they could have just leveraged off the GT3 R in this scenario...

Bottom line is, the RSR story is probaly intertwined with the decison whetther there will be a 991.2 GT3 RS or a 991.2 GT2 RS. 

They had a once-in-a-lifetime chance of freeing themselves from the 911 straight jacket by opting for a mid-engine car. The opportunity would then have arisen to produce a road going version with racing pedigree. A real Fe-Fi .

Instead they opted to continue with the 911 ...but....decided to move the engine and gearbox, thus making it no longer a true 911.

Then they had the chance to show-off and further develop their already substantial turbo chops...but ...instead they decided to stick to a NA engine...even though both Ferrari and Ford have turbo engines. Both these makes will carry a lot of weight in "influencing" future rules ...especially around turbo's.

I don't get it at all...but that's why I'm just a fan and not a Porsche Motorsport genius.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804225 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448773 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266435 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90182 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6794 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886160 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834710 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM