Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

List your questions for PCNA/PAG reps

per Hatchback's suggestion. If you have questions about the 997tt that you want me to get (or try to get) answered at the "Turbo Lounge", please post them here.

Re: List your questions for PCNA/PAG reps

One question: how does Porsche justify the price tag and performance specs of the 997 Turbo compared to the Corvette Z06? Especially for the US audience, this may be an interesting and pretty provocative question. And don't let them get away with a simple answer, Alan.
    Another question: why has the sequential shifting system been delayed?
    More questions: why no direct fuel injection in the 997 Turbo? Why does the 997 Turbo have LED turning lights but no LED backlights?

Compared to the first 996 Turbo model year, the new 997 Turbo is much heavier. Why does Porsche advertise the new 997 Turbo to be lighter than the old 996 Turbo? This isn't true for the first cars?!

What about 0-Vmax performance? Which car would be faster, manual or Tiptronic?

Is it true that the Vmax is limited due to tire issues?

Is the Tiptronic used in the 997 Turbo still a Mercedes derivate or is it made by Aisin or any other company?

When will the Cup tires be available for the 997 Turbo?

I'm sure some people will find more questions for you, Alan.

Alan, good luck in advance for your efforts.

Some questions.

1.Will there be a MY2007 Turbo Cabriolet?

2.The 997TT "S" is apparently on the way, and will perhaps be timed for release December. Will it also have a advanced more sporty version of PASM like the GT3? or Will it be just
    a 997TT with a few more extra overboost hp?

3. Is there a GT2 being readied with 2wd and more hp than the coming 997TT "S" or is that off the table.

RC, as for the Corvette Z06, forget about it. The MY2008 Z06
    (coming in one year-its GM's calender!)gets the new 615hp LS-9 engine wich is a 6.3 liter 32 valve DOHC (not a 16 valve OHV like the current Z06)with direct injection, a supercharger and a higher redline than the current cars 7100rpm. Im sure the Porsche people will love hearing about that.

4. So Alan, how soon the GT2? and can Porsche justify its price performance delta between it, the coming new Z06 and the existing 997TT and its coming S variant?

RC asked about sequential shifting. What about DSG or the Porsche variation; when will it be avialable?

In addition to the other excellent questiosn already posted.

1. MP3 changer will it be available soon?

2. iPod adapter in the works?

3. Any Bluetooth telematics solutions on the way?

4. Does the tip alway start in 2nd gear unless with the sports chrono set on sport?

5. Does the sports chrono default back to sports or we have to manually press it everytime?

Re: In addition to the other excellent questiosn already posted.

What happened to Satellite Radio?

Option 447 colapsible spare is not available on 997TT with PCCB. What is alternative? Thank you.

If Alan doesn't ask 'em I will!
    Got a pm from a dealer in NJ, said they have two launch cars now available for sale. Interesting.

Alan..

my question is:
    Porsche on the little book of the 997 Turbo tell the rims are partially painted titanium..can you ask which colour is really??
    Slate gray,Meteor gray?another gray?
    thanks

ciao
    Dario

...what RC said.
    Also, when will the electronic AWD system be adapted to C4, C4S models?

-as FSU mentioned above-- Sat radio? (then generously offer to email the full install instructions to the PCNA rep!!!)

What's up with the LED front lights?

iPod, iPod, iPod.

Since they bought VW, why no DSG?

Why so heavy?

When will I get mine?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    RC, as for the Corvette Z06, forget about it. The MY2008 Z06
    (coming in one year-its GM's calender!)gets the new 615hp LS-9 engine wich is a 6.3 liter 32 valve DOHC (not a 16 valve OHV like the current Z06)with direct injection, a supercharger and a higher redline than the current cars 7100rpm. Im sure the Porsche people will love hearing about that.

I never worried about the Z06, I was just curious to hear a reply from Porsche officials. The Z06 is an interesting product for the US market, for Europe and other markets, this car is just another exotic car without chances of a big success. It may change with model generations to come but I doubt that other sportscar manufacturers would "allow" this to happen.

Judging by the current GM financial situation, I doubt that GM has lots of options for the future. Giving a car away for free (and I'm pretty sure that GM doesn't earn a dime with the Z06, on the contrary) can't work for long.
    A healthy planning for the future is better than putting a bestseller on the market without being able to satisfy demand or even worse: without earning a good amount of money with it.
    Of course me and you, as customers, don't care about how much money a company makes with a product. But on a longterm run, this will have pretty serious consequences.

Regarding the upcoming supercharged Z06: if GM plans to put more than 600 HP in a car which weights the same like the current Z06, they're completely nuts. Because if this car will be priced at the same or only slightly higher price tag compared to the current Z06, a lot of unexperienced drivers will get the chance to drive such a "monster".
    I doubt that this is going to have a happy end, I can already see the headlines in the US press :"Do HP monster cars kill their drivers?".

And with regards to the questions added by some people: Porsche will NOT unveil any future products or details about their model planning for the future. Asking such questions is only a waste of time and...time for more valuable and subtle questions which may "extract" some information from Porsche officials in a way or another.

I read that Ferrari has stated the DSG is not sporty enough and is heavy. This may weigh on Porsche's decision not to introduce it.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I read that Ferrari has stated the DSG is not sporty enough and is heavy. This may weigh on Porsche's decision not to introduce it.

Nick, since when does Porsche want to use DSG in their cars? The current PDK development status seems to have to deal with longtime reliability and high torque/power figures. Porsche never claimed that they plan to introduce PDK this year or with the 997 Turbo, I don't know why people are speaking of a delay or whatever.

But I agree that Porsche definetely needs a sequential shifting system for their product portfolio and it is quite late for it. On the other hand, I understand them well if they want to put something "good" on the market. Time will tell, if the PDK sucks, you'll hear about it pretty soon, don't worry.

RC, I think it might be misconception that GM does not make any profit from the Z06.

It doesnt really cost GM much more to put 500hp instead of the standard 400hp into the car. Granted the dry sump lube adds some more cost but nothing more than another 1000USD when you are talking aboput buying 7000 units a year.

I doubt if the Z06's extras equate to the 60% price differential over a standard model Corvette.

As for the new C7 Corvette for MY2008, dont expect it to be just a simple restyle version of the older C5 like the current C6 is.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    RC, I think it might be misconception that GM does not make any profit from the Z06.

It doesnt really cost GM much more to put 500hp instead of the standard 400hp into the car. Granted the dry sump lube adds some more cost but nothing more than another 1000USD when you are talking aboput buying 7000 units a year.

There is the little matter of developing, tooling up, and manufacturing a special, lighter frame for the Z06. If that doesn't cost much more than the standard version, why don't they just make it standard?

Fritz, the lighter frame parts and engine cradle are outsourced from Norsk Hydro.

Perhaps 7000 units was the most Norsk could deliver per year initially and/or existing vendor contracts for the other frames used in the standard C6's could not be terminated.

Here is a link to some specifics about it.

http://www.hydro.com/magnesium/en/news_events/features/corvette_z06.html

However, the coming C7 Corvette will likely incorporate magnesium, aluminium and CF parts across the model range.

I like RC's set of questions.
    Albeit, it must be pretty ballsy to reel those off at some PCNA exec.

lol

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Fritz, the lighter frame parts and engine cradle are outsourced from Norsk Hydro.

Perhaps 7000 units was the most Norsk could deliver per year initially and/or existing vendor contracts for the other frames used in the standard C6's could not be terminated.

Here is a link to some specifics about it.

http://www.hydro.com/magnesium/en/news_events/features/corvette_z06.html

However, the coming C7 Corvette will likely incorporate magnesium, aluminium and CF parts across the model range.

FWIW, the engine cradle is made of magnesium and comes from Norsk Hydro. The equivalent part used in the C6 is made of aluminum.

But I was referring to the chassis frame, which is made of steel for the C6, but of hydroformed aluminum tubes for the Z06. The extruded aluminum chassis frame profiles for the Z06 are sourced from Alcoa, not Norsk, again FWIW.

My point was that Chevy had to re-engineer even the most fundamental components when developing the Z06 from the C6, as borne out by your additional input regarding the engine cradle. This suggests that they didn't have too much faith in the upgradeability of the C6 chassis as a basis for the Z06.

It also suggests that they will have invested a whole lot more into the Z06 in terms of both tooling costs and in component costs than GM's bean counters would have wanted to if it were just a question of making a high-end, high-margin variant of the Corvette. It looks like the bean counters didn't have to much say in that project tho, cos GM urgently needed the Z06 as an image-enhancing loss-leader.

RC why do you say that the new turbo wieghs much more than the 996? How much does it weigh? How can they get away with this?

uh o

Quote:
    trip said:
    RC why do you say that the new turbo wieghs much more than the 996? How much does it weigh? How can they get away with this?

Quote:
    rhino said:
    uh o

He's right-- 2001 996TT weighed 3395 lbs.(1540 kg)
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/46926/page001.html,

2007 997TT is 100 lbs. heavier at 3495 lbs.(1585 kg) ,
    .....but I am not aware of what exactly Porsche is claiming in their literature?

Quote:
    Damian said:

2007 997TT is 100 lbs. heavier at 3495 lbs.(1585 kg) ,
    .....but I am not aware of what exactly Porsche is claiming in their literature?

I'm pretty sure that Porsche is referring to the last available specs for the last available 996 Turbo. And here, they're right...the new 997 Turbo is 5 kg (or so) lighter.
    But I can't say I'm happy with comparing it to the last 996 Turbo model year but I think that Porsche marketing didn't really think that some people would compare it to the first model year of 996 Turbo production.

Anyway: we should be happy that the new 997 Turbo isn't substantially heavier than the old one. But I wish Porsche would have invested a tiny bit more into lightweight construction. Having a 997 Turbo at 50 kg LESS weight compared to the "old" and last 996 Turbo generation would have been much nicer and doable. I suppose it was again a matter of the green stuff...money.

The 997 AWD system weighs less and if it also uses hollow halfshafts like other 997s do, thats another attempt to save weight.

Maybe the real story behing the 997TT and its weight is that it came out weighing what it does.

Im sure Porsche had targets for performance, interior noise, safety and emissions etcc that all had to fold in with the VTG system. The 997TT is a luxury fast sports gt car more sporty than a SL AMG or a BMW M6, so comparing it to those, its actual weight really might not be that important.

Aparently Porsche's only low mass, agile "directly wired to your brain and your pants" 997 is the GT3.

Thats not to knock the other models, but as Porsche broadens its appeal to more buyers, and keeps up in the hp race they are also narrowing the models that actually appeal to sports car drivers,while injecting mild amounts of novacaine into the standard models to give the unskilled a greater margin for driver error.

Lots of people with minimal fast car experience will buy or use a Turbo 997, but a GT3 is not something someone buys or lends out unwittingly. So maybe the extra weight and handling difference in the 997TT is the right decision by
    Porsche.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

...while injecting mild amounts of novacaine into the standard models to give the unskilled a greater margin for driver error.

I agree; however, the problem is that while Porsche has mildly injected novocaine, they have done it often enough and in enough different areas that the net result is a whole body anestesia.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, since when does Porsche want to use DSG in their cars? The current PDK development status seems to have to deal with longtime reliability and high torque/power figures. Porsche never claimed that they plan to introduce PDK this year or with the 997 Turbo, I don't know why people are speaking of a delay or whatever.

But I agree that Porsche definetely needs a sequential shifting system for their product portfolio and it is quite late for it. On the other hand, I understand them well if they want to put something "good" on the market. Time will tell, if the PDK sucks, you'll hear about it pretty soon, don't worry.

How does the direct shift gearbox (DSG) differ from the PDK? My impression was they are very similar. Porsche has had PDK for years and it is my understanding they have not been happy with the weight and reliability.

Turbo Lounge opens to public today! Last chance to get your questions answered.

On price justification: The MARKET justifies price NOT the SELLER. They set their prices on what they think the market will bear (hopefully above cost). It sells or it doesn't and they react accordingly.

Latest 996TT spec was 3505 lbs. 997tt is 10 lbs lighter. Remember how Europeons determine curb wieght; the include a driver,some luggage and a 70% full tank..this might be confusing discussion.

With the sport chrono plus package you're able to briefly (10 secs) boost torque from 457 TQ to 502 TQ but does that also boost the HP output from 473 HP to anything higher than that? I've been looking for that answer everywhere.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777723 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441890 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262870 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261082 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85348 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5631 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880760 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816217 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM