Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Rennteam made it to the PRESS

Very good news indeed !!!

Rennteam is growing (which is very normal ) but it still has the spirit of a big family, controlled by excellent moderators and editor !!!

Thanks at all to keep this "family" forum open and working !!!!

Congratulations, guys

Congrats

Just came back from work, here are is the scan. Working on a Q&D translation at the moment, enjoy!

On a side note, I was so excited this morning that I ran and grabbed the first copy of Flat 6 I found.
    It was a copy of the MARCH issue, which I already had of course.
    Fortunately, they had received the April issue during the day, so here we go!

Nice GT2 btw

Here is the translation. Apologies for typos, it's a Q&D translation and it's getting late. Enjoy!

Behind the scene of a Porsche forum

RC is the co-founder of Rennteam.com, which has become in 4 years one of the main web sites for Porsche lovers. How does one start a forum, how to let it live and grow? An exclusive interview with RC as he lets us backstage.

Flat6: Let's talk about you. How did you decide to start a new forum about Porsche?
    RC: I have owned 911s since 1996 - I was 31 at the time - and am about to take delivery of a 997 Turbo. Our family car is a Cayenne Turbo with the 500hp powerkit. My wife drives a Boxster S. I have been a gearhead since age 18, and was a professional rally driver for a short while in my Lancia Delta Integrale.
    A few years ago, I started spending a lot of time of internet boards. I met CR there. In 2002, we decided to start our own forum. An independent forum - without advertizing or official support - made by fans for other fans.
    Of course, neither CR nor I had any clue about what problems laid ahead. The first version of Rennteam looked terrible and was rife with bugs.

Flat6: How did you try and make Rennteam different from other Porsche boards?
    RC: I think Rennteam is well-known for its high-quality discussions. Our members do actually own Porsches or other high-end sports car. We enjoy a much higher share of actual sports car owners versus other boards, and it shows.
    The Rennteam boards provide information about upcoming developments, available options, aftermarket mods, and advice about how to make the most of their cars. Our top priority is to ensure the quality of the messages and respect for fellow members, especially since we have owners from all over the world, and very different cultures.

Flat6: What does it takes to make a board such as Rennteam run?
    RC: A lot of time and a lot of money. By the way, for us, time is money. CR, myself, and our moderators are all business men with day jobs.

Flat6: How do you finance the board, if you do not rely on advertizing or suscriptions?
    RC: That's right, Rennteam is a private board without any kind of external financial help or sponsors. CR and I foot the bills. So do some of the moderators, in one way or the other. We were very surprised to find out that many people were willing to send us some money because they like our work. But so far, we can afford to run Rennteam on an independent basis. As of today, despite some very generous offers, we have never accepted a cent from our members.

Flat6: Please tell us more about your member community...
    RC: In 4 mere years, Rennteam has grown at a tremendous pace. Today, we have 8,100 members and growing. This is still surprising to us, as reading our boards does not require registration. Our English-language boards brings mostly Americans, Canadians and Britons together, but also many people from mainland Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, New Zeeland, and even South America. We are very proud to have managed to bring such a community together without losing respect between them. Which proves that if people share the same passion, they can get along very well.

Flat6: Rennteam has managed to land many world exclusives, as though you had moles inside the company. Do you know if Porsche are reading you?
    RC: This is very natural for an Internet community to gather so much information in such a short time. Very detailed information. The marketing and the development departments at Porsche very often have their own agendas and are not directly involved on our boards.
    We have a deep respect for our members, but also for manufacturers such as Porsche. This might partly explain why we get our information early. We know that manufacturers do read our boards and that they use this insight to improve their products or design new ones. Our "scoops" come from people who are involved in some way or another in development, sales or marketing. These people remain passionate about the products their companies build, and they trust us not to publish any information that might get them caught. We are not into sensationalism. We are just looking for information based on credible rumors or facts, not gossip. We do not publish everything we know either, because our priority is to protect our sources, and respect trade secrets.

Flat6: How do you envision Rennteam's future in the coming 2 years?
    RC: The current situation is very enjoyable since CR, the moderators and myself all have day jobs that are completely unrelated to the car industry. We are free from any pressure. We really like being able to watch our baby grow without having to worry about its future. I'm sure most parents wish they could say as much.
    Many friendships started on Rennteam, and we are looking forward to make an International Rennteam Meeting happen someday. We all share this dream. Our biggest worry is membership growth. In order to ensure the quality of our boards, we will have to restrict new registrations. Maybe by filtering free webmail addresses, which are often used by teenagers or people who want to conceal their true identity. We do not want to ban anyone, but we also have to do whatever it takes to protect the quality of our boards.

Flat 6 also mentions the part number of the very ellusive PSE for 2003-2004 Boxsters. In the March issue, Stéphane van Gelder wrote about how he eventually managed to have a PSE installed, in spite of Porsche's denial that it ever existed - by looking up photos and part numbers from owners on the Internet. Tequipment part number is 000 044 200 20.
    If Porsche asks, the 2003-2004 PSE does not require to have the rear bumper changed.

Thanks Groom great read!!!

You're welcome.

There also is a very interesting article about the 997TT which explains how the Tiptronic is faster than the manual.
    It also seems the 997TT is electronically LIMITED to 310 kph because of tires issues.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Well deserved

Definitely.

Congratulations.

Good read! Great interview RC Congrats

I haven't read much in French since I graduated high school 4 years ago. I was able to understand it all quite clearly.

Thanks for the scan .

FYI,

That's RC on top picture next to the GT2 .

Congrats RC .

Cool! Great job gents- many thanks!

Let's have a rennteam meeting soon- while we're still young!

Thanks a lot Groom!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Captain Bady said:
    I think the merit should go to most of the people on the forum that constantly contribute (unfortunately not me in this case ).... with all the respect to the stated above.

Of course...SORRY that I forgot to mention our Users.
    I just felt bad about our moderators not getting the credit they actually deserve.

I think Rennteam's "community spirit" comes across very clearly in the interview and through RC's words. I should perhaps say that RC had mentioned all the moderators by name in the original interview but there was not enough space to list them all in the article. The monthly column format doesn't really allow for long articles and this was one of the longest we've done so far. But I think the interview makes it clear that Rennteam is a very special place for Porsche enthusiasts. That is what I've always felt when interacting on this forum and that is where the idea for the interview came from. So it really is meant as a tribute to everyone who contributes to Rennteam.

Quote:
    elsiesvg said:
    I should perhaps say that RC had mentioned all the moderators by name in the original interview but there was not enough space to list them all in the article.

Thanks a lot for mentioning it, I felt pretty bad when I didn't see their names in the article but I guess they understand now.

Oh well, since I wasn't mentioned in the article why should I be mentioned here

Congratulations to the whole team responsible for creating and running Rennteam. This is a wonderful accolade for a wonderful website! Long live Rennteam!!

I to like to add my congratulations. Rennteam is a great board, an I hope it'll continue to be so. I know I don't contribute a lot, because I have no porsche yet, but it sure keeps my dreams alive!
    -Joost-

Quote:
    CF said:
    Oh well, since I wasn't mentioned in the article why should I be mentioned here

Check again, Christian.

I'm sorry, I really mentioned ALL moderators in the interview but apparently there was no space left.
    We should definetely do a group picture or have somebody talented create some sort of "collage" of different pictures with each of us on them to have a Rennteam Group Picture for similar situations in the future (given that other car magazines are interested in us as well... ).

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    elsiesvg said:
    I should perhaps say that RC had mentioned all the moderators by name in the original interview but there was not enough space to list them all in the article.

Thanks a lot for mentioning it, I felt pretty bad when I didn't see their names in the article but I guess they understand now.

Hey guys stop giving RC hard time let him enjoy the moment. We're all part of a great community here and the important part is that Rennteam was mentioned. Enjoy the moment and let the creators do too .

RC - let's make Rennteam t-shirts/apparel

How about discounts at OPCs for rennteam members!

I know, I know, that will never happen. Porsche must be the stingiest company in the universe!

I think we should get together and buy a Porsche dealership or two (one in Europe, one in the US).
    I know Rennteam is supposed to be independent, but we want our employee discounts!

Quote:
    elsiesvg said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Captain Bady said:
    I think the merit should go to most of the people on the forum that constantly contribute (unfortunately not me in this case ).... with all the respect to the stated above.

I just felt bad about our moderators not getting the credit they actually deserve.

I think Rennteam's "community spirit" comes across very clearly in the interview and through RC's words. I should perhaps say that RC had mentioned all the moderators by name in the original interview but there was not enough space to list them all in the article. The monthly column format doesn't really allow for long articles and this was one of the longest we've done so far. But I think the interview makes it clear that Rennteam is a very special place for Porsche enthusiasts. That is what I've always felt when interacting on this forum and that is where the idea for the interview came from. So it really is meant as a tribute to everyone who contributes to Rennteam.

I thought the article was very well done. Christian did a terrific job in articulating how the Board was created and the reasons for its success. The questions drew out the information without making it look like an advertisement. I am certain none of the moderators were upset about not being mentioned because it appeared only first names were given and honestly I don't think they care.

But damn it, I now must be on my best behavior.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    RC - let's make Rennteam t-shirts/apparel

that's a very good idea.

Quote:
    nberry said:

That would certainly depreciate the forum

Congrats

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    elsiesvg said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Captain Bady said:

I thought the article was very well done. Christian did a terrific job in articulating how the Board was created and the reasons for its success. The questions drew out the information without making it look like an advertisement. I am certain none of the moderators were upset about not being mentioned because it appeared only first names were given and honestly I don't think they care.

As far as I'm concerned, RC has done so much more than me. I'm just here to help with my small experience.
    Credits goes to him no question.

Nick,
    Don't change your behaviour, you're part of Rennteam's success too!
    The devil's advocate!

Thank you The Groom for the translation!

I think it what a great article, as Nick says it articulated perfectly what Rennteam is about. Thanks to Flat6 and Stéphane

As to the names of the mods in the article... are you kidding RC? Personally I don't think I deserve mentioning in such an article, not when compared to what you and CR do. I'm just grateful to be able to participate and give what I can back to Rennteam

wow wow wow i am really happy about this article , and once again thanks to you christian and all the moderators for keeping this website running like it is , cant have a day without spending time here. and like you mentionned in the article i am also dreaming about the rennteam international meeting! cant wait to do make it!congrats!!!

I will gladly co-ordinate a Rennteam International Meeting here in NY

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776957 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262738 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85147 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880593 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815781 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM