Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Singer!

Indeed the car is a 964 with a roll cage fitted and airbags removed, so as safe as a 964 can be i.e. safe enough.

No crash test done to my knowledge no but then again, the chassis of the 964 is not modified in terms of stuctural integrity.

Active safety only comes in the form of ABS which is also good enough. No TC but then again, the power is not huge so it's fine.

It's a solid car which gives you plenty of confidence, in case of a crash a lot of classics wouldn't be as strong.

Futch:

Indeed the car is a 964 with a roll cage fitted and airbags removed, so as safe as a 964 can be i.e. safe enough.

No crash test done to my knowledge no but then again, the chassis of the 964 is not modified in terms of stuctural integrity.

Active safety only comes in the form of ABS which is also good enough. No TC but then again, the power is not huge so it's fine.

It's a solid car which gives you plenty of confidence, in case of a crash a lot of classics wouldn't be as strong.

Thanks, Futch. Enjoy in good health but I guess you are already aware of the risks with classic race/sports cars, so I don't have to worry about you. Smiley Beautiful car, amazing actually and very stealth (from an envy point of view). Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    Futch:

Thanks, Futch. Enjoy in good health but I guess you are already aware of the risks with classic race/sports cars, so I don't have to worry about you. Smiley Beautiful car, amazing actually and very stealth (from an envy point of view). Smiley

Thanks RC. Indeed, this is not my first "classic" car, although the singer is a bit of a wildcat being not classic nor modern, but you're right when it comes to safety and actually, I do feel more confident or safe, not even sure what the correct word could be, behind the wheels of a modern car which I know has been through numerous crashtest etc.

Common sense prevails!Smiley

exactly....when I drive vintage cars, i never drive them as i do modern cars.

you just have to be Aware of These things.oine of my main issues when driving my cobra is the thought of Impact into the sidedoors. it's like being hit while driving a motorbike i guess.....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

What a fabulous car. Congratulations! 

I just love it. Red outside. Red/black inside, black decals. I'd better stop thinking about it, I really don't need a seventh car...

I don't believe the car can be licensed in the US for use on public roads without federal mandated safety features.Smiley

--

nberry:

I don't believe the car can be licensed in the US for use on public roads without federal mandated safety features.Smiley

My car is licensed in the us with far fewer road and safety features.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

nberry:

Can't believe that Rob Dickinson would get that one wrong...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:
    nberry:

Can't believe that Rob Dickinson would get that one wrong...Smiley

Especially since Singer is located in California, which is the strictest state (and the biggest domestic customer base for a car like this)

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Some cars were grandfathered. However, if a car is completely restored and rebuilt it is possible ( structural considerations may play a role in determining if they are feasible)  they must meet certain Federal minimums. I have not researched the issue and I am merely speculating.Smiley

--

on every trip to the US I spot many cars which would not be road worthy in Germany. I think there are many worse cars on the road in the US than a Singer...

--
    Off enjoying my car...

TEE:

on every trip to the US I spot many cars which would not be road worthy in Germany. I think there are many worse cars on the road in the US than a Singer...

In the US, cars are largely state (and even locally) regulated.  So, it matters a great deal which area you visit...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

nberry:

Some cars were grandfathered. However, if a car is completely restored and rebuilt it is possible ( structural considerations may play a role in determining if they are feasible)  they must meet certain Federal minimums. I have not researched the issue and I am merely speculating.Smiley

I think the regulation goes by the chassis year. So if the donor chassis is a 1990 vintage then it has to meet the 1990 standard.

Same principle with the Shelby '1967' vintage NEW roadsters running without cats. THere were no cats back in 1967.

Chris Harris feature article on Porsche 911 by Singer Design

Old, new, heartbreakingly expensive, and wonderful...

(2 May 2013)

The trade of updating and improving motorcars is nearly as old as the horseless carriage itself. Given that, it requires a profoundly impressive take on the craft for a so-called “tuner car” to gain the collective attention of the industry.

But back in 2009, it happened: A chap called Rob played around with an old Porsche 911 and showed his work to a few people. Within weeks it was a legend, one that swelled and gathered momentum for three years, during which time few people actually drove it. But then, few people actually drove a Vector, right? Lack of seat time doesn’t preclude legendary status.

Rob Dickinson’s reimagining of the classic 911 shape is, to these addled eyes, one of the great modern styling exercises, one that owes as much to the art of hot-rodding as anything else. Everything has been pulled and distended so cleverly that the result is a steroidal interpretation of Butzi’s masterpiece, not just some misguided homage.

The process to reach this point was laborious. Rob is a rank perfectionist. He styled clay for a year. What began as a fun exercise quickly proved to be the kernel of a potential business. It then turned into something a children’s author would call a quest, just without the requisite dwarf. The Singer-modified 911 contains a level of detail and obsession that I have only seen matched by the Pagani Huayra.

The car’s base is a 964-chassis (1989–1994) 911 shell, dipped and chemically treated. Part of the front crash structure is removed and an oil cooler beautifully integrated into the chin, allowing for the prettier “long” hood worn by pre-1974 911s. A carbon-fiber roof is bonded in, and the rear fenders are replaced with wider carbon panels. When you see the body in white sitting in Singer’s workshop, the quality of finish is staggering... (continued)

Smiley SmileySmiley

Since I'm currently in California, I've jumped at the opportunity to pay Singer a visit, Rob himself received me to guide me and my gf around his workshop. I knew more or less what to expect due to the many reviews I've read about his work, but to see and feel his enthousiasm in real life really was a privilege. Fantastic guy with an even greater vision.

It was the first time I saw a Singer in the flesh, and the fit, finish and choice of materials really is second to none. Everything, literally everything is finished to a higher standard than anything I've every come across in any car.

I haven't taken any pictures as the customer of the car they were building preferred no pictures were taken of his car.

Fantastic guy and a great company, I really hope Singer succeeds in becoming an established value.

Cool, must have been a great experience.
    I always find it very inspiring to meet the people who set out to do something, do it well, and are very passionate about it.
    Enjoy your holidays Frank!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Porker:his car.

Fantastic guy and a great company, I really hope Singer succeeds in becoming an established value.

Did you ask for a test drive? Or, this thing is only reserved for the very few?

--

"Form follows function"

Porker:

Since I'm currently in California, I've jumped at the opportunity to pay Singer a visit, Rob himself received me to guide me and my gf around his workshop. I knew more or less what to expect due to the many reviews I've read about his work, but to see and feel his enthousiasm in real life really was a privilege. Fantastic guy with an even greater vision.

It was the first time I saw a Singer in the flesh, and the fit, finish and choice of materials really is second to none. Everything, literally everything is finished to a higher standard than anything I've every come across in any car.

I haven't taken any pictures as the customer of the car they were building preferred no pictures were taken of his car.

Sounds great. Good to hear that there are still some true car enthusiasts out there who aren't in just for the money. Smiley Thanks for the report.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Glad you were able to visit. 

Car is featured in the latest Flat6 magazine (numéro 272, octobre 2013).

They took it on a lengthy testdrive. There's a video too... Unable to link from my iPad at this very moment.

http://issuu.com/flat6/docs/couv_issuu272?e=6490106/4973778 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLvNErHq0ic 

(funny how he pronounces it, might as well call it 'chanteur' or 'chanteuse'...)

Great find, although he is indeed almost pronouncing it like 'un singe' aka 'a monkey' smiley

Some of the filming was made in my region  .....  if I would of know , I would of rushed to see it live.

The sound is fantastic .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I appreciate the reasons for some people finding the Singer interesting, but someone must have a huge amount of disposable income dedicated for cars to spend the price of a fully modern (and loaded) Turbo S on this anachronism. Sorry angry

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I appreciate the reasons for some people finding the Singer interesting, but someone must have a huge amount of disposable income dedicated for cars to spend the price of a fully modern (and loaded) Turbo S on this anachronism. Sorry angry

To be honest, my cash would go to a Singer before a Turbo S anytime. And I'm sure you'll see a bigger portion of it back come trade-in time!

reginos:

To a great many people the Singer produces more visceral excitement, fun and entertainment than the new Turbo would. I happen to think they look better, sound better, are more rare and are more of an “event” to drive than a new Turbo. If you buy a new Turbo purely as a week-end toy, the Singer would give many a more rewarding experience. Plus it’s plenty quick.

Then again look at my avatar, I'm biased and prefer the looks of the older 911s (I still love the new ones but prefer the old ones). That car was a out and out racecar but it would make a new TurboS look like Kia in anything other than a standing start 0-60.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I'd have the Singer over Turbo S any day of the week.  In fact if someone gave me a Turbo S I'd sell it straight away and buy something else.  I'm not saying its a bad car but it just doesn't do anything for me.

--

Gen II Cayman S

For the Singer Vehicle Design to be in existence, there must be some people who have the same preferences as you guys  yes

--

"Form follows function"

If I had the money, for any of the those 2 cars, the cash will go for the SINGER any time.

In fact, my money doesnt go for new cars, or recent cars...I enjoy much more driving the old ones.

To be honest Im tired of the new cars, and the way we drive it...the amount of technology that came in the cars is so boring...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806266 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449446 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267019 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7171 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887119 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835813 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM