Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 911 50 Year Edition

RC:
    Grant:
    kashmir:

Price is high... Make it €6k more and add the power kit (430hp), then it would be perfect. Though I think they leave some room for the GTS...

For some reason, the powerkit is included in the US market at $124k.

--

No, it isn't. Why do you think it is? Smiley

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

This is where I read about it.  Since the dateline is Atlanta (Porsche headquarters is there) and PR Newswire is an official news release channel, I thought this would be accurate:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...-210022021.html

ATLANTA, June 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Porsche 911 resolves apparent contradictions like no other sports car – such as between tradition and innovation or between exclusivity and high social acceptance, and of course between performance and efficiency. And so, Porsche is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the 911 at the International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt with a special anniversary model based on the 911 Carrera S: like the original 911, the 911 50th Anniversary Edition is a coupe with a flat-six rear engine and rear wheel drive. Its efficient performance, active sport suspension – and special body have current relevancy: the anniversary 911 features the wide body, which is typically reserved for the all-wheel drive Carrera 4 models. This special edition will be limited to 1963 cars, a number that represents the year of the 911 world premiere.

(Photo:  http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130603/CL25614 )

For the US market, the 911 50th Anniversary Edition will be equipped as standard with a Powerkit, which increases engine performance to 430 hp and includes the Sport Chrono Package.  The 911 50th Anniversary Edition sprints from zero to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds (3.8 with PDK) and can reach a top speed of 186 mph (185 with PDK). The limited edition models will be available at Porsche dealers this fall and will be priced from $124,100, not including a $950 destination charge.

Porsche will present the limited edition model in time for the 50th anniversary of the 911 at the IAA motor show in Frankfurt, which opens its gates to the public on September 12, 2013. In 1963, Porsche presented the original model to the public at this leading international show for the automotive industry. Since its first presentation – initially as the type 901 – the sports car icon has excited automotive fans across the globe, and today it is considered the reference for all other sports cars. Since making its debut in 1963, the model series has progressively developed without interruption. In the process, the unique character of the 911 was always preserved. The result of this evolution over a 50-year period – which included countless race victories as well – is a sports car that fully embodies the authenticity of the Porsche brand. Its DNA is reflected in all Porsche models.

This limited edition of the 911 Carrera S includes features that have contributed to the 50-year success story of the 911. For example, the limited edition includes Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) with special tuning to complement its increased track width and to add support to the exceptional cornering dynamics of the 911. The sport exhaust system outputs a fitting emotional sound. Special 20-inch wheels are a visual tribute to the legendary "Fuchs" wheels and are finished in matte black paint with machine-polished centers. Chrome trim strips on the front air inlets, the fins of the engine compartment grille and the panel between the rear lights emphasize the distinctive appearance of this limited edition model. Another technical highlight of the car's equipment is the Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) with bi-xenon headlights and dynamic cornering lights.

Two unique colors are available for the anniversary 911, a darker graphite grey and a lighter geyser grey metallic. In addition black monochrome is also available. Each of the cars has a two-tone 3D-effect badge on the rear lid with the numbers "911 50". This is repeated in three color embroidery on the headrest and in two colors as a logo on the tachometer and the aluminum door sill plates. It can also be found on the cup holder panel together with the limited edition number of the individual vehicle. Other exterior characteristics of the special model are high-gloss window frames and sport design exterior mirrors on the doors panels.

There are tributes to the original 911 in the interior as well: green labeling on the instruments with white pointer needles and silver caps on the instrument pivot pins, just like 50 years ago. Another special feature is the center panels of the leather seats, which are designed with a fabric pattern reminiscent of the "Pepita" tartan design from the 1960s. The full-leather interior is designed in agate grey or black with decorative stitching, some in contrasting color. The driver and front passenger experience typical 911 driving fun in 14-way sport seats or optional 18-way sport seats plus. The gear shift or selector lever – which matches the decorative panels on the dashboard, doors and center console in brushed aluminum – comes from the Porsche Exclusive program.

About Porsche Cars North America

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga. is the exclusive U.S. importer of Porsche sports cars, the Cayenne SUV and Panamera sports sedan. Established in 1984, it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Porsche AG, which is headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany, and employs approximately 220 people who provide parts, service, marketing and training for 190 dealers. They, in turn, work to provide Porsche customers with a best-in-class experience that is in keeping with the brand's 63-year history and leadership in the advancement of vehicle performance, safety and efficiency.

At the core of this success is Porsche's proud racing heritage that boasts some 30,000 motorsport wins to date.

Follow us: www.twitter.com/Porsche and www.facebook.com/Porsche and drive.porsche.com/us

For Porsche apps: http://www.porsche.com/usa/entertainment/apps/

SOURCE Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

RELATED LINKS
    http://www.porsche.com

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

For the US market, the 911 50th Anniversary Edition will be equipped as standard with a Powerkit, which increases engine performance to 430 hp and includes the Sport Chrono Package.  The 911 50th Anniversary Edition sprints from zero to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds (3.8 with PDK) and can reach a top speed of 186 mph (185 with PDK). The limited edition models will be available at Porsche dealers this fall and will be priced from $124,100, not including a $950 destination charge.

Thanks, this is really interesting. If true, Porsche will have some trouble selling the Anniversary Edition in other parts of the world because let's be honest, this would be pretty dumb.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Grant:
    kashmir:

Price is high... Make it €6k more and add the power kit (430hp), then it would be perfect. Though I think they leave some room for the GTS...

For some reason, the powerkit is included in the US market at $124k.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I heard the same from my dealer Smiley

--

I have to apologize...yes, the 430 hp powerkit is included in the US versions of the anniversary model. Sorry about that, I got confusing information.

--

RC:

I have to apologize...yes, the 430 hp powerkit is included in the US versions of the anniversary model. Sorry about that, I got confusing information.

No problem Smiley

--

Grant:
    RC:

No problem Smiley

Smiley I updated the initial information in the first post with this valuable new information. Thanks again.

--

RC:
    Grant:
    RC:

No problem Smiley

Smiley I updated the initial information in the first post with this valuable new information. Thanks again.

Oh that will do it to really make sure Europe is pissed at NA... not only do we get less expensive Porsches, but now we get more power as well.... Smiley   Actually if I was in Germany I would be quite ticked off at PAG; there seems no reason for this discrimination other than some silly micro-managing of markets.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

xtrac

Oh that will do it to really make sure Europe is pissed at NA... not only do we get less expensive Porsches, but now we get more power as well.... Smiley   Actually if I was in Germany I would be quite ticked off at PAG; there seems no reason for this discrimination other than some silly micro-managing of markets.  

And to add insult to injury we only get 2 years warranty as well

--

But we don't even get to drive fast on our highways :(

keithos27:

I think PCNA realized that it would be difficult to sell a regular 991 Carrera S for 124k USD without any power bump. Also the price is actually higher than usual (compared to the usual US vs. European prices). The US version costs 26k USD more than the base Carrera S, in Germany, the price difference is "only" 16k EUR. I'm not talking about exchange rates, just talking about pure numbers here.

It is kind of disappointing that the ROW versions don't get the power bump but I think it is still optional (for extra money).

--

RC:
    It is kind of disappointing that the ROW versions don't get the power bump but I think it is still optional (for extra money).

Wow, so not only are cars cheaper in the US, on top of that, Europeans will/would need to pay for a power bump that is free in the US... Smiley

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

I configured myself an anniversary model with Powerkit, PCCB, BOSE and some other minor options, nothing fancy (no Burmester, etc.). Cost: 163k EUR. This is more than I would pay for a fully equipped 991 GT3. Ouch.

I like the Geyser grey met. color (the lighter one) though. This could look spectacular on a 991 Turbo S. Smiley Maybe I can persuade Porsche to paint my 991 Turbo S in this color but I guess this would be a special color and it could delay my delivery. Smiley I also cannot exclude that this color is exclusive for now but on the other hand, they paint at least a couple of hundreds of cars starting August/September in this color, so it should be possible... 

I don't know but I really started to like this color.

--

RC:
    keithos27:

I think PCNA realized that it would be difficult to sell a regular 991 Carrera S for 124k USD without any power bump. Also the price is actually higher than usual (compared to the usual US vs. European prices). The US version costs 26k USD more than the base Carrera S, in Germany, the price difference is "only" 16k EUR. I'm not talking about exchange rates, just talking about pure numbers here.

--

Yes, the price is high here, relative to other models - almost exactly same as GT3 if you add PDK (which is standard on GT3).  In Germany, the GT3 is much more than 50th (137k vs. 121k Euro)

--

RC:
    Wonderbar:

How have these "Special Edition" cars held their value?  Any guess about this edition's depreciation potential?  

Nowadays, it is pretty difficult to predict this. Especially since Porsche tends to offer special edition options like colors or rims on the regular versions too after a while, minus the 911.50 logos of course.

Speaking of: A guy I know over here in my town owns a 911 Sport Classic (997). He made the mistake to not register the car when he bought it and now it is too late, he cannot register it anymore because it doesn't meet the environmental requirements for a new car. Apparently there is no way around it since his car doesn't fall into a classic car exception category because it is too young. So for now, he can drive this car only with temporary license plates but he cannot register it, which kind of makes it almost worthless. Smiley

Can't  he register it in another country and use it in Germany?

--

"Form follows function"

It's not my cup of tea... They have had the occassion to do something really gorgeous and special, but imho they've failed in their attempt.

A Singer concept with Porsche's seal, with a more limited production (500 or 911, an iconic figure) at 250-300k € would be a perfect wink to the consumers and brand enthusiasts and the properly tribute for Porsche's 911 history. The original shape of 911, classic, timeless, meaning what it was and still is, and how they evolve all mechanical aspects until this days to become one of the most -if not the most- successful car company of all time.

I personally don't like the superficial retro elements they added, painted cayman wheels to look like fuchs, chrome grill look alike on the rear, houndstooth fabric pattern on the seats, etc... they are just aesthetically ugly in this day and age, it may look quaint initially but after the initial novelty wears of and time goes by its going to look uglier and uglier...

--

Carlos from Spain:

I personally don't like the superficial retro elements they added, painted cayman wheels to look like fuchs, chrome grill look alike on the rear, houndstooth fabric pattern on the seats, etc... they are just aesthetically ugly in this day and age, it may look quaint initially but after the initial novelty wears of and time goes by its going to look uglier and uglier...

And one more thing: These kind of "special edition" is sooo easy to put together for Porsche. Paint, wheels, some tweaks for the interior, that's it.

We will see the wheels later on for other models, you can already have the mirrors, I bet you can configure the "special colours" later as well. All that remains is the chrome grill at the rear and I yet have to decide if I like this particular element or not.

So basically all these special editions, no matter from which manufacturer, should be seen as what they really are: some preconfigured cars from the factory, with more or less tasteful colour-interior-combinations.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I remember when the 2004 40th Anniversary model was offered, there were HUGE discounts offered by dealers. That model had similar upgrades (Powerkit, GT Silver paint, widebody with sport suspension, LSD (only non-GT model for a decade with this), nice interior, wheels, etc).  I remember being offered a new one for $68k (think MSRP was close to $90k).  This was just before the release of the 997, so the circumstances are different now.  But, I would never buy this instead of GT3 for almost same money (only temptation is manual gearbox on the 50th).

--

RC:

I like the Geyser grey met. color (the lighter one) though. 

I don't know but I really started to like this color.

+1

would work well with black/red bi colour interior too!

If I remember well that model was not wide body, although its front was similar to the Turbo. Not that it matters. It also had the sports exhaust.

An unnamed Porsche executive told me that they lost money on the 40 year model. Therefore, I believe that since then all special models are specced in such a way and produced in such numbers as to make a good profit for the company. Perhaps, this is the reason that the 50 year model does not include all that each of us thinks it should have.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

I would have made 911 cars of this special edition with the GT3 engine (maybe 460 hp instead of 475, not taking the thunder from the GT3 too much) and GT3 PDK for 160k EUR flat. This would have been a true anniversary model and I bet it would have sold pretty well.

I agree, this is a very nice looking car but I kind of miss the "special" part about it. Yes, the retro styled seats, rims, etc. but still...we are talking 50 years 911 here... yes

Or even better: 50 cars of this with the previous GT3 RS 4.0 Mezger engine, manual and 490 hp for 250k EUR flat. 

You get my point...something special for a very special anniversary.

+1000  That is exactly what I asked the local Porsche guy and told him I would have been ready to buy one if equipped with  a GT3 engine  .  It`s a pity that such an important milestone is being celebrated with (imho) a bland product proposition. I, maybe, had too high expectations for this model.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

reginos:

If I remember well that model was not wide body, although its front was similar to the Turbo. Not that it matters. It also had the sports exhaust.

An unnamed Porsche executive told me that they lost money on the 40 year model.

--

"Form follows function"

Yes, I think you're right (Turbo/C4S nose, but narrow rear).  I am certain this was a sales failure (1963 units is quite a few when the 997 was around the corner, but a good buy at $68k (due to LSD and 345hp powerkit), these held more value than most 996.

--

Carlos from Spain:

I personally don't like the superficial retro elements they added, painted cayman wheels to look like fuchs,

I didn't notice that, but they do look like the Cayman S wheels repainted (and increased from 19" to 20").

--

RC:
    Wonderbar:

How have these "Special Edition" cars held their value?  Any guess about this edition's depreciation potential?  

Nowadays, it is pretty difficult to predict this. Especially since Porsche tends to offer special edition options like colors or rims on the regular versions too after a while, minus the 911.50 logos of course.

Speaking of: A guy I know over here in my town owns a 911 Sport Classic (997). He made the mistake to not register the car when he bought it and now it is too late, he cannot register it anymore because it doesn't meet the environmental requirements for a new car. Apparently there is no way around it since his car doesn't fall into a classic car exception category because it is too young. So for now, he can drive this car only with temporary license plates but he cannot register it, which kind of makes it almost worthless. Smiley

RC - that's only a 3 year old car - basically no different to my 2 year old GTS - how does it fail environmental requirements?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Rossi:

So basically all these special editions, no matter from which manufacturer, should be seen as what they really are: some preconfigured cars from the factory, with more or less tasteful colour-interior-combinations.

All that is true, nevertheless some owners of these special editions become quite fond of them.  When 90% of all 911s out there are boring black/grey/silver, having one that is a bit different can make a difference - but just for an owner who is particularly aware of "tasteful colour-interior combinations", or perhaps just interested in that little bit of exclusivity in owning a special edition.   As I recall we have at least  a few RT members who own such vehicles, eg. TargaTim if I remember correctly.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Carlos from Spain:

Agree 100%. Smiley The 911 shape is intrinsically timeless and classic, no need to add vintage parts. Also, I would rather have Porsche use the narrow body, with all these variants using the wide or extra-wide body I feel like that now having the narrow body is the real privilege.  When looking at the vintage car in the promotional video, part of its appeal lies in its overall narrowness. I hope they use the narrow body for the GTS.  All of this IMvHO of course.

RC - that's only a 3 year old car - basically no different to my 2 year old GTS - how does it fail environmental requirements?

Since it was never registered it is technically a new car,and requirements for new car changed since 3 years ago

I think I will wait for the 50 Year Edition Black Edition S with the Weissach Package. 

How though, as it is the same spec as the carrera GTS which continued until MY2012?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Grant:
    reginos:

An unnamed Porsche executive told me that they lost money on the 40 year model.

--

"Form follows function"

Yes, I think you're right (Turbo/C4S nose, but narrow rear).  I am certain this was a sales failure (1963 units is quite a few when the 997 was around the corner, but a good buy at $68k (due to LSD and 345hp powerkit), these held more value than most 996.

--

Two were imported here, and believe it  both suffered IMS failure a few years later Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    807738 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449862 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267308 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90606 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7470 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887848 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836637 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM