Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Urban Outlaw: "Magnus Walker Driven by Passion" (Porsche Film)

Urban Outlaw: "Magnus Walker Driven by Passion" (Original Trailer)

"Urban Outlaw" is a portrait of Magnus Walker, the rebel Porsche customizer who turned a hobby into an obsession, and an obsession into a successful business. From a workshop in downtown Los Angeles, Magnus obsessively harvests fragments from donor 911s, grafting them onto vintage frames to create one-off automobiles with the spirit of Ferdinand Porsche but an ethos entirely his own...

Urban Outlaw: Magnus Walker Driven by Passion -- Porsche Trailer -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Re: Urban Outlaw: "Magnus Walker Driven by Passion" (Porsche Film)

Urban Outlaw: "Magnus Walker Driven by Passion" (Full Documentary)

URBAN-OUTLAW_Magnus-Walker.jpg

"URBAN OUTLAW is a portrait of Magnus Walker, the rebel Porsche customizer who turned a hobby into an obsession, and an obsession into a successful business. From a workshop in downtown Los Angeles, Magnus obsessively harvests fragments from donor 911s, grafting them onto vintage frames to create one-off automobiles with the spirit of Ferdinand Porsche but an ethos entirely his own..."

FILM CREDITS:

Magnus Walker (Urban Outlaw)
    Tamir Moscovici (Director | Producer)
    Anthony Arendt (Director of Photography)
    Wade Odlum (Colourist)
    Paul Proulx (Editor & Associate Producer)
    Joan Bell (Executive Producer)
    Marni Luftspring (Executive Producer)
    Tina Petridis (Executive Producer)

Full Documentary = 32 minutes

Urban Outlaw: Magnus Walker Driven by Passion -- Full Documentary -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Urban Outlaw: "Magnus Walker" driving on closed roads...

Urban Outlaw: Magnus Walker -- Video Link 1

Urban Outlaw: Magnus Walker -- Video Link 2

Smiley SmileySmiley

Magnus Walker 911: The Garage...

Magnus Walker 911: The Garage -- Official Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Cool!  

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

very cool kiss thanks for posting

This is what it is all about !! Fantastic !

Passion is such a wonderfull drive . He's got so much talent. I enjoyed watching this a lot kiss

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Autoweek talks with Magnus Walker—urban outlaw, vintage Porsche collector, driver...

Magnus Walker is a passion-driven man, and he's living the American dream one vintage Porsche at a time.

“America is still the land of opportunity,” Walker told Autoweek.

The humble and well-spoken collector is a happily married, successful entrepreneur who builds and drives vintage Porsches for fun out of his downtown Los Angeles warehouse. Starting his mornings in the five o'clock hour, Walker can often be found driving one of his many Porsches around the L.A. area, taking pictures and enjoying the cars.

Born in Sheffield, England, in 1967, Walker left his formal education at age 15. He crossed the pond for the United States four years after that and never looked back.

He landed in Detroit for a short time and then made tracks West to California, where his rocker lifestyle allowed him to fit right in with the 1986 Los Angeles music scene.

As he assimilated Walker developed his own brand of clothing that grew into a passion for trying to reinvent the fashion industry. Serious Clothing remains active, but as time passed, Walker turned his attention to the film industry.

He and his wife of 17 years, Karen, bought a large warehouse downtown and converted it into a living-space, garage and studio for their work. Working at home allowed him free time to turn his attention to automobiles.

“When I was boy, my father took me to a lot of motorsports events. I was able to grow up during the glory days of Formula One and have motorsports ingrained in me early on,” he said.

While at one such event, Walker spotted the car that started it all for him—a white 1977 Porsche Turbo with the red and blue striping of the Martini livery.

“It was my dream car,” he said.

As time marched on, Walker's passion for Porsches evolved, as did his collection. His original goal was to own an example of every Porsche 911 from 1964, the first year, to 1973.

“I have one from every year except 1973,” he said. “I have had plenty of opportunities to buy a '73, but my priorities have changed. The novelty of having 'every one' wore off. The real challenge was to find and buy a '64 because without it, there would be no icon.”

While his collection of 911s is notable in and of itself, what Walker has done with them is a whole other animal.

Canadian filmmaker Tamir Moscovici discovered Walker through an ongoing thread on the Pelican parts site about his ever-changing projects and updating vehicles.

“He saw my thread and contacted me about doing a documentary. I had seen his films about Honda IndyCar and a gritty piece about tattoos and knew he was a kindred spirit,” Walker said.

“So, on a leap of faith, a handshake and a shoestring budget, Tamir flew down to Los Angeles to start filming.”

Moscovici gathered more than 40 hours of footage over the course of four days that was to be pared to a five-minute mini-documentary, a passion project for him. It would turn into a 30-minute feature documentary.

“While the trailer is about 95 percent Porsche, the film is more so about my drive and passion. I want people to know that they can follow their dreams, whatever they may be.”

Walker's passion for building older Porsches occupies roughly 80 percent of his days, he said, most of which are spent doing the work of a self-taught mechanic. He does both numbers-matching original builds and full-on custom dream machines.

“If I find a car without an original motor, I'm comfortable with taking creative liberties and throwing in a stroked motor or making other upgrades,” he said.

Walker has been known to incorporate personal touches and updates to many of his cars, including leather pull straps, drilled-out door handles, vented Plexiglas windows and other pieces he's developed from years of driving and racing.

“I want them to have soul,” he said.

Having spent the better part of a decade competing in Porsche club races and track days, Walker's tastes have evolved from pure track to street-able track cars.

“The more I got involved with the events and racing-wise, the less fun it was. It became all-consuming.”

Walker now focuses on building cars at his own pace, and selling them unadvertised.

“I did my first restoration four years ago. These cars are easier to work on, and a person of little mechanical knowledge, like me, can work on them. I build outlaw, sport-purpose-art-inspired cars, Monte Carlo-rally type cars merged with the 1970s R S and the RSR tastes, a race car converted to a street car. I want to offer a happy medium from the 'less is more' stylistic approach.”

While Walker has spent time behind the wheel of new Porsches, he prefers the older models. “I'm rooted in the older cars, but am starting to step out into 1970s Turbos. The modern hatchbacks can blow them away, but that's not the point. My Irish green 1966 911 is one of my favorites. It's rewarding to get the most out of the car; it packs a punch and is a real thrill to drive. You have to be involved. It's definitely rewarding stimulation.”

Even though he has owned more than 40 Porsche 911s, when asked whether he'll ever part with the 1964 model, Walker responded, “My theory is certain things cannot be duplicated, something like a '64 911 cannot be duplicated, so it's one of those cars that has a lot of sentimental value. You're connected to it a little more. I have a few cars that are pretty rare, cars like that I don't think I'll be selling.”

Smiley SmileySmiley

I love his work ethic and driving style.  Watch how he gently holds the wheel and balances it like delicate tool!  Not at all like the maniac woman in the 'Driver Rehab' thread. 

Urban Outlaw: "Magnus Walker" takes a quiet, relaxing drive on closed, private roads...

Urban Outlaw: Magnus Walker -- Video Link 3

Smiley SmileySmiley

Urban Outlaw: Magnus Walker & Director, Tamir Moscovici at Raindance Film...

"Post Raindance Film Festival / European Premiere screening interview with star Magnus Walker & Director Tamir Moscovici of URBAN OUTLAW. This 30min short film, essentially a love story between Magnus Walker & Porsche is one of the coolest movies I've ever seen. Beautifully shot & directed by a Canadian advertising Director, every frame in every scene, from Downtown LA workshop to Pacific Coast Highway, exudes cool..."

Urban Outlaw: Magnus Walker & Director, Tamir Moscovici at Raindance Film -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

BjoernB:

This is what it is all about !! Fantastic !

+1   SmileySmileySmiley

BlueflameSmiley

1972 Porsche 911 by Magnus Walker featured on Jay Leno's Garage...

"Porsche wizard and urban outlaw extraordinaire Magnus Walker returns to the garage for an in-depth look at his self-described best build to date..."

1972 Porsche 911 by Magnus Walker featured on Jay Leno's Garage -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

1972 Porsche 911 by Magnus Walker featured on Jay Leno's Garage..."Porsche wizard and urban outlaw extraordinaire Magnus Walker returns to the garage for an in-depth look at his self-described best build to date..."

1972 Porsche 911 by Magnus Walker featured on Jay Leno's Garage -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

I saw him walking around the Amelia Island "50 Years of 911" action back in early March.  Looks just like his pictures.

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0

Magnus Walker: Porsche 911 Turbo Fever...

"Magnus Walker, the Urban Outlaw, talks about his passion for vintage Porsche 911 Turbos..."

Magnus Walker: Porsche 911 Turbo Fever -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

kiss

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802844 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448446 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265981 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89986 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6458 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885480 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832608 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM