Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche 991 gets stolen at gas station

Porsche 991 gets stolen at gas station, two guys drive up to the 991 in a BMW M5 and take the Porsche while the owner was at the register. Looks like the keys where on the car.

--
    Porsche and other cars video collection

Re: Porsche 991 gets stolen at gas station

OUCH !!!! that has always been one of my biggest fears as a driver, parking my car somewhere and then going out and it being gone. I feel so bad for the owner, I hope they can somehow recover it, maybe local police forces can do something about it. 

Now I hate being fuzzy about this on such a horrible situation,  but its not a 991, looks like a 997.1 C4S

997.2 C4S

Dave63:

997.2 C4S

Yes, this is no 991 and whoever leaves the keys in the car while fueling up, deserves this, sorry to say that. Nobody can be that stupid. 

I even close my car before I go to pay for the fuel up but apparently some people think that the world is full of rainbows and nice people. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

+1 - plus on Gasstations there are always cameras - so unless the BMW is also stolen they are rather stupid...

BjoernB:

+1 - plus on Gasstations there are always cameras - so unless the BMW is also stolen they are rather stupid...

What do you think? Smiley Of course the other car was stolen too, unless of course the thieves are even dumber than their victim. Smiley

Btw: The biggest issue here is actually the fact that the Porsche driver won't get a dime from his insurance. Pretty tragic.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Btw: The biggest issue here is actually the fact that the Porsche driver won't get a dime from his insurance. Pretty tragic.

certainly in the UK, leaving your keys in the car invalidates your insurance

In the US if you leave the keys in the car while parked in your garage they cover it.  Else you are without a car and plus a big payment.

Of course the odds of someone knowing how to drive a manual and finding the keys in the ignition are tiny in the US.  There was a case of a car jacker at a local mall here and the robber had to run off once he saw the clutch.  Not a very good car thief, lol.

Leawood911:

Of course the odds of someone knowing how to drive a manual and finding the keys in the ignition are tiny in the US.

HAHA SmileySmileySmiley

Leawood911:

In the US if you leave the keys in the car while parked in your garage they cover it.  Else you are without a car and plus a big payment.

Of course the odds of someone knowing how to drive a manual and finding the keys in the ignition are tiny in the US.  There was a case of a car jacker at a local mall here and the robber had to run off once he saw the clutch.  Not a very good car thief, lol.

Smiley

Insurance over here in Germany wants to see the key and the spare key(s) after a car gets stolen. If you don't have one of them, the insurance doesn't pay. That simple.

In this case of fuel station theft, the insurance could also argue with negligence. 

Like I said before, it is very wise to take the key with you when fueling up the car (even if you stand next to it) and close the car when you go to pay (unless of course you pay at the pump).

--

So if you purchased the car used and only had one key??

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

So if you purchased the car used and only had one key??

1. You have to prove that (contract)

2. For used cars, you usually get only the current "market price"

My insurance contract pays for a period of 24 months the new car price, no matter if stolen or totaled (by me).

Regarding one key only on a used car: I would stay away from such cars or have the locks exchanged. You never know...because there is another problem: If they find the car wrecked somewhere and there is no proof of theft (for example is someone used the "second" key to open the car and/or to start the ignition), the insurance doesn't pay either. 

Careful with insurances...

--

@RC

.. let me guess: you´re an insurance broker  angry smiley

Best

Gregor

P.S.: ... will count all car keys when back at home  ....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMW X6 4.0d * Mini Cooper S Cabrio * 991 (02/2013)

RC:
    for example is someone used the "second" key to open the car and/or to start the ignition), the insurance doesn't pay either. 

certainly with MB, old/lost/non present keys can be disabled so that it no longer works with the car

Sidney:

@RC

.. let me guess: you´re an insurance broker  angry smiley

Best

Gregor

P.S.: ... will count all car keys when back at home  ....

Nope (hell, no... Smiley) but I hear and read a lot about insurance cases involving stolen or damaged cars.

I actually planned to install a satellite tracking system into my Panamera Turbo S (Porsche vehicle tracking system is pre-wired and ready for install) but my insurance doesn't provide any benefit for installing this system and I'm actually better off for the first 24 months if they actually do not find the car if it has been stolen. Smiley So I didn't install it, it doesn't make any sense. Weird.

--

What if they take the car at gun point (the most likely way mine will be stolen) or take your keys from your home?  You can't be expected to give up your life for your keys, can you?  Once in the home you have taken proper care I would think.

That said- like a proper Porsche owner you will always find my Porsche key in my pocket - all the time.  No Key chains no little key wallet - just the key - always.  On long raod trips with a co-driver he/she always carries the second key.

BTW - if you only have one key - GET A SECOND ONE.  They cost a bit too much but well worth it.  Change the code on both at the same time.

Replacement keys are a cash-cow. How can it cost £260 for a replacement 997 key? There must be far less technology in the keyfob than say, a mobile phone - and we've all seen how long it actually takes to program it (BMW thieves certainly don't waste time). Mine is held together with sticky tape and will probably stay that way until I sell the car!

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Why wouldn't the insurance pay? You can willingly lend your car to someone then report it stolen if it isn't given back. It's hardly negligent to run inside for a second and get your car stolen while you are a few feet away. I do it all the time at home -- leave the car running in the driveway while I run inside to get something like my sunglasses or lock the front door.

Every act of theft can be viewed as negligence on the part of the owner to some extent.

Look on the bright side of the Porsche and other european makes key programming system. If you buy the car new then, yes the cost of an additional key is a bit much. However, if you buy the car used and there is only one key; you can get a second key and have both reprogrammed so that the other original key out there is no longer any good.

In fact even if you buy used and have both keys there could be more keys out there. Getting them reprogrammed would not be a bad idea. With most of our domestic models if you have both original keys you can program up to four additional keys. I buy two additional keys pretty cheap and have them cut to match, I then use the two original keys to program the new keys. The original keys then go in the safe. How would a used car purchaser even know if he has the two 'original' keys unless they try to program more keys. Unless you buy and program the max number of keys, you still would not know if there are additional keys out there.

Porsche security looks a little pricey, but well worth it!

wedouglas:

Why wouldn't the insurance pay? You can willingly lend your car to someone then report it stolen if it isn't given back. It's hardly negligent to run inside for a second and get your car stolen while you are a few feet away. I do it all the time at home -- leave the car running in the driveway while I run inside to get something like my sunglasses or lock the front door.

Every act of theft can be viewed as negligence on the part of the owner to some extent.

In Germany: No key, no insurance money. If you lend the car to someone who you didn't know, this is also considered negligence. If you knew the person, you have to prove it and provide name, background, etc.. Even if you leave your coat at a restaurant with the car key inside and somebody steals the coat (and then the car)...bad luck...negligence.

Leaving your key inside the car outside of your house, even on your ground...negligence. Smiley

There has been even a trial regarding a case when somebody stole a car from a closed and locked private garage but the car key was inside the garage in an open box. The owner was lucky, the judge apparently didn't consider it negligence but the insurance actually wanted it to look that way, this is why they went to trial.

So the basic rule in Germany is: No key(s), no insurance money. Unless there are special circumstances. 

--

RC:
     a closed and locked private garage  

that made all the difference. would be the same result under English law.

Insurance against theft must be really, really cheap in germany.  Wow -

So what is someone takes your keys by force - how do you prove that?

Leawood911:

Insurance against theft must be really, really cheap in germany.  Wow -

So what is someone takes your keys by force - how do you prove that?

Witness...bruises...

If you think that you can just drive your car into a lake or similar and then show the key(s) to the insurance: We had many many similar cases and when the police finds the car but no evidence of forced entry and/or usage of a key, you are busted. Even after years...

In 2011, over 41000 cars were stolen in Germany. 

Theft insurance is not really expensive. Take my Panamera Turbo S for example: I have full coverage (even if I wreck the car and it was my fault...with the exception of alcohol and/or drug abuse or excessive negligence like driving 150 in a 50 zone, then they don't pay), incl. theft and vandalism protection. For a period of 24 months, they even pay the new price of the car (which is aprox. 205k EUR right now). Cost per year: 1300 EUR. Not bad.

--

*hüstel*

Although having in mind that you´re at 30% ..... I have to ask for the name of this insurance company .... 

Best

Gregor

--

RC:

Theft insurance is not really expensive.

is theft insurance separate from 'driving' and 'using' insurance?

in the UK, it's 3rd party (damage to third party only) or comprehensive (3rd party, damage and theft)

We have basically three types of car insurances in Germany:

Haftpflicht (which is mandatory by the law, it pays only for "other" damages but not yours).

Teilkasko (which includes also theft, glass and vandalism damage to some point)

Vollkasko (full coverage, it includes the first two and they pay for everything, even if it was your fault with the exception of severe negligence like driving under the influence or excessive speeding)

--

Sidney:

*hüstel*

Although having in mind that you´re at 30% ..... I have to ask for the name of this insurance company .... 

Best

Gregor

Allianz. I have all my insurance contracts with them and this pays off. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802555 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448352 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265905 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89908 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6380 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885299 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831960 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM