Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Today I collect my M3 CSL

M3ike:

On the Nordschleife, the CSL is still a very quick car, almost as quick as the 997GT3 MKI, the CSL is much more confidence inspiring and easier to catch when it lets go. It also benefits from the "real" Cup tires whereas the MKI GT3 has the Cup N1 which offer less dry grip but are much better in the wet.

On a GP circuit like Spa or Hockenheim the GT3 walks away due to its superior power and traction. The GT3 is much more challenging to drive. 

At the end of the day I love both cars, it's a thing of personal taste. Currently I prefer the GT3 as a new challenge, my CSL is kept completely standard as a collectors item and can be seen at the new Black Falcon premises in Meuspath.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for the input Mike, at the moment I'm still far off the absolute pace/potential of the CSL, but it does feel indeed like it has great potential on the Nordschleife. It did bite a couple of times yesterday, but I'm guessing that is due to a lack of experience with this car. My car has Michelin Supersports fitted at the moment, so I can't comment on the Cups yet, but I'll have them fitted when these are worn. I'm also considering changing the Bilsteins to Intrax-suspension as I'm not 100% convinced with the PSS10-dampers.

I might have a look at your CSL when I'm at the 'ring. Smiley

Your welcome. I have been driving the CSL since 2006 and the car is an icon.

The tyres make a big difference the car was built around the Cup tyres. They will transform the car, much more precise, direct and higher grip levels.

Regarding suspension I know I sound like a broken record but I had custom Bilstein fitted by Black Falcon and it was superb. When Frank Stippler drove my car on the Ring he liked in very much and preferred it to the KW Clubsport as my car felt like a race car. Currently BF also has 2 CSL running in V6 at the VLN so they know a thing or two. I can get you in touch if you like.

Sorry for OT but I will be taking part in the new RCN next Saturday the Ring and then go to the 24 hours of Spa, maybe you are there.

Enjoy your CSL

Mike

You're making me miss my E46 M3. We didn't even get the CSL over here. laugh

Your CSL is a beauty Frank ! The darker wheels really compliment the attitude of the car. And you are obviously in for many happy days on track. Congratulations and keep enjoying it man ! 

M3ike:

Your welcome. I have been driving the CSL since 2006 and the car is an icon.

The tyres make a big difference the car was built around the Cup tyres. They will transform the car, much more precise, direct and higher grip levels.

Regarding suspension I know I sound like a broken record but I had custom Bilstein fitted by Black Falcon and it was superb. When Frank Stippler drove my car on the Ring he liked in very much and preferred it to the KW Clubsport as my car felt like a race car. Currently BF also has 2 CSL running in V6 at the VLN so they know a thing or two. I can get you in touch if you like.

Sorry for OT but I will be taking part in the new RCN next Saturday the Ring and then go to the 24 hours of Spa, maybe you are there.

Enjoy your CSL

Mike

I also feel the CSL should be driven on its Cup tyres, that said, I was impressed with the grip offered by the Supersports, on a wet trackday at Spa they should be fantastic imo.

If you say custom Bilsteins, do you mean custom springs on PSS10, or custom damping as well? If they could arrange different springrates for my PSS10, that would indeed be great. Smiley I was considering fitting a beefier front ARB to counteract the softer damping on the Nordschleife, but I was -rightly- told that this would only induce understeer.

I was -and still am- planning to go take a look at the 24h of Spa, I wanted to pay a visit to Futch who's competing with AF Corse. If the weather stays OK, I will be there. At Le Mans we nearly floated out of our tents so if it rains I might take a rain check.

Enmanuel:

Your CSL is a beauty Frank ! The darker wheels really compliment the attitude of the car. And you are obviously in for many happy days on track. Congratulations and keep enjoying it man ! 

Thanks Enmanuel, I will! Smiley

Porker:
    M3ike:

I also feel the CSL should be driven on its Cup tyres, that said, I was impressed with the grip offered by the Supersports, on a wet trackday at Spa they should be fantastic imo.

Stick to Cups. I once had a set of PS2's on my CSL and regretted that decision before even arriving at the 'Ring (nearly missed an exit at Kreuz Kerpen). Supersports are a huge improvement but still no match. Perfect for my (porky) E90 though...

DuckieRS:
    Porker:
    M3ike:

Stick to Cups. I once had a set of PS2's on my CSL and regretted that decision before even arriving at the 'Ring (nearly missed an exit at Kreuz Kerpen). Supersports are a huge improvement but still no match. Perfect for my (porky) E90 though...

I forgot that you'd had a CSL yourself! Cups it is, might look for a set of 18"s to fit Cups and keep the 19"s with Supersports for street/rainy-days.

Despite the efforts, the CSL remains quite a porker itself I'm afraid, though it does a great job to disguise its mass. Smiley

An inspired purchase of what most consider to be the best M3 ever!  I have no doubt that you're going to enjoy this car to the hilt.  Smiley

Congrats, a real stunner. So timeless..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Frank, I'm curious to read your field report about last Sunday at the Ring...  so many closures again mail

--

Hi Joël, sadly we kept missing eachother. I'd managed to have a chat with P-J, who was so kind to introduce a friend of mine to the world of the GT3 (thanks again P-J).

It was indeed a bad day for driving, I could never really focus on getting to know the CSL. However it was immediately clear that it's a much sharper machine than my other M3. Front end grip is much improved, and the difference in power is quite noticeable, in a sense that I now have to modulate the pedal when exiting corners.

The damping was less positive for me, on the stiffer setting the car got twitchy and skipped over bumps, while in a softer setting, it lost some of its edge. I'll have to work on a solution there.

The brakes felt very good but needed some heat to get going, which was hard, given the appaling driving conditions on Sunday. I really have to find a way to return during the week.

Wow Porker, that's indeed a very nice car you have here.  Smiley

If I'm not mistaken, it's quite an upgrade from the cars you were driving before! Could you remind me what you had prior to this beautiful CSL?

Anyway, congrats on your purchase!  Smiley

Thanks amazon!

It's indeed a little leap forward, but so it should be! Every new car was always 'the next best thing' for me, next in line is the 996 MK.I GT3 Clubsport, there's no escaping that! smiley

• BMW E30 318is (18-23)
    • VX220 (23-24)
    • BMW E36 M3 GT (24-26)
    • BMW E46 M3 CSL (26-...)

That's what I call forward planning....kiss

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

What an amazing machine!! And in CSL with those mods, you've found another true BMW icon for yourself kiss

I can only imagine how much fun this car is on the NBR, congrats and looking forward to many more pics cool

My Bilstein suspension was a custom setup, consisting of rear dampers from the WTCC cars from 2006, custom springs and bumpstops. It was a tailor-made setup for my CSL on Cups. They still have all the data available as it took loads of experimenting to get the perfect setup. Rollbars were left stock as on the VLN race cars running on slicks so the standard ones are perfectly capable. The standard bilsteins have probably a too soft front spring so the car leans too much on turn-in. Anyway I will ask if they have some customized springs for your setup and let you know.

Mike

Thanks Aaron, as I enjoy seeing it myself, many pictures are a certainty! cool

Mike, if you would be so kind to ask them, that would indeed help me out a lot. Thanks!

Mr. & Mrs. Porker Smiley

M3ike:

My Bilstein suspension was a custom setup, consisting of rear dampers from the WTCC cars from 2006, custom springs and bumpstops. It was a tailor-made setup for my CSL on Cups. They still have all the data available as it took loads of experimenting to get the perfect setup. Rollbars were left stock as on the VLN race cars running on slicks so the standard ones are perfectly capable. The standard bilsteins have probably a too soft front spring so the car leans too much on turn-in. Anyway I will ask if they have some customized springs for your setup and let you know.

Mike

Someone advised me to contact Center Gravity to explain my issue, they were extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the subject. They've proposed a number of options from Eibach-racing. I warmly recommend them (they're mostly Porsche-focused).

http://www.centergravity.co.uk/

I can vouch for Centre Gravity as I had my Geo done last Saturday and the attention to detail and striving for perfection by Chris is incredible. My RS60 now drives better than it has ever driven - goes where I point it, no under steer and the ride with PASM button on and off is significantly improved. All as a result of 8 hours with Chris. 

Very Happy ! :)

boytronic:

I can vouch for Centre Gravity as I had my Geo done last Saturday and the attention to detail and striving for perfection by Chris is incredible. My RS60 now drives better than it has ever driven - goes where I point it, no under steer and the ride with PASM button on and off is significantly improved. All as a result of 8 hours with Chris. 

Very Happy ! :)

Thanks for the feedback, I've only spoken to Chris on the phone, but I had exactly that impression. I'm sure his proposed solution will satisfy my needs!

Smiley

Our company carpark, a refreshing change from your usual corporate carparks isn't it? Smiley

M3 CSL & R26.R

Congratulations on purchase!

Great sounding car this side of 70k EUR :) I wonder how it sound with your particular exhaust? Please post video if you can! Thanks!

Hi and congratulations for the CSL !

It's an amazing car !
    Is it a Swiss registered car ?

Great car, in hands of someone who actually uses it for what it was meant to. wink

alexk64:

Hi and congratulations for the CSL !

It's an amazing car !
    Is it a Swiss registered car ?

Hi, thank you for the kind words.

The car is registered under my girlfriend's name in Belgium. It would've been too much of a hassle to have all these modifications approved in CH. Smiley

Avoe:

Great car, in hands of someone who actually uses it for what it was meant to. wink

Thanks Avoe!

The car is at BMW now to have all suspension bushes checked and replaced if necessary. Meanwhiles the wheels are refurbished as they were a bit curbed. For the wheels I've chosen BMW's Ferric Grey.

This is how it looks on its replacement set Smiley

Porker:

Hi, thank you for the kind words.

The car is registered under my girlfriend's name in Belgium. It would've been too much of a hassle to have all these modifications approved in CH. Smiley

I was wondering the same thing about the mods 

I have a CSL too Smiley

Today I'd been reading a couple of the old EVO-Magazines, I'd read when I was seventeen, daydreaming about a CSL.

I couldn't help smiling knowing I know have one of those. Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803687 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448665 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266260 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90139 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6700 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885969 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833807 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM