Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

VW - craked the engine's support - how come?

Fellow rennteamers,

I was wondering if some of you had any mechanical knowledge because the most unlikely failure just happened to my 2006 VW Jetta.

The engine's support is cracked in two separate pieces, wich means the engine could now fall on the ground... if it does, it will take most of the mechanical parts under the engine bay, including parts of the steering column. Nuts.

Now, as you would agree, how can such a thing happen?

The car is a bit more than 5 years old and the mechanic says he never saw anything like that.

The worst part is that I just had bought a new car a few hours before the incident. So I have to repait a car that is already sold back to the dealer. F* me.

Re: VW - craked the engine's support - how come?

Sorry, wrong forum. this thread shoud be moved to the off topic section.

Thanks.

Do you mean the engine mounts or something else?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I guess it's engine mounts, yes.

The dealer told me that they never saw such a thing in 20 years. The engine is fixed to the car at 3 different points of anchor, with what looks like to be thick bolts.

Two of them were just teared off (or plunked off).

These 3 bolts are screwed on a "piece" made of font. That piece was broken in half.

It's really difficult to explain in english, sorry. Hope it helps you understand Smiley

amazon:
    reginos:

I guess it's engine mounts, yes.

The dealer told me that they never saw such a thing in 20 years. The engine is fixed to the car at 3 different points of anchor, with what looks like to be thick bolts.

Two of them were just teared off (or plunked off).

These 3 bolts are screwed on a "piece" made of font. That piece was broken in half.

It's really difficult to explain in english, sorry. Hope it helps you understand Smiley

Two cast mounting brackets (probably aluminium alloy?) have broken.

Do you have many speed bumps in the area where you live, or do you otherwise have to drive extensively on very bad road surfaces?

--

fritz

I can be mistaken, but believe to have heard this before and even remember once reading a couple of years ago in a Belgian magazine Autogids / Le Moniteur Automobile that the test driver had the same problem with an Audi or Volkswagen after trying a quick start for the acceleration times and the test driver reported to never have seen that before (obviously claiming in the article it was not his fault ...) with any of the cars he tested before.

Good luck in getting these fixed, hopefully for a decent price. What have you bought as replacement Smiley (looking forward to good things)

Do a google search and you will see cases of Jetta engine mounts breaking reported on forums etc..

A family  Mini Cooper had a problem with broken engine mounts and also a Smart ForTwo I use in the city. In the case of the Smart it was the speed bumps taken a some speed in combination with the short wheelbase.

It's something that happens. They should be inspected more frequently perhaps, although I'm not sure if they suddenly snap without prior warning.

--

"Form follows function"

fritz:

Two cast mounting brackets (probably aluminium alloy?) have broken.

Do you have many speed bumps in the area where you live, or do you otherwise have to drive extensively on very bad road surfaces?

I have one or two speed bumps on my way to work. Nothing special about them.

The road's surfaces in Brussels are OK, so I don't think the infrastructure could have caused such damage to my car.

I have to admit that I always drive my cars "sportively". I usually have to change break pads and such things more often than others.

That said, I'm no maniac either.

Porsche_lover:

I can be mistaken, but believe to have heard this before and even remember once reading a couple of years ago in a Belgian magazine Autogids / Le Moniteur Automobile that the test driver had the same problem with an Audi or Volkswagen after trying a quick start for the acceleration times and the test driver reported to never have seen that before (obviously claiming in the article it was not his fault ...) with any of the cars he tested before.

Good luck in getting these fixed, hopefully for a decent price. What have you bought as replacement Smiley (looking forward to good things)

The mechanic told me that quick starts and hard acceleration are not the cause of the failure. These pieces are not moving parts or mechanical parts of the car. These bolts or whatever are made of steel and don't age.

I bought a black on black BMW 320d coupé to replace it. Smiley  It's well equipped car with the M package. 

At first, I was considering a Golf GTI or scirocco. After test driving the two, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of power. What's more, the residual value of these cars is terrible. After a year, a GTI will loose half of its value. Not a good thing if I want to own a porsche one day.

I guess the fact that I had the opportunity to drive a bunch of 997s (S, turbo, GT3) & 987s on a few occasions is working against me as I always feel disappointed when I'm behind the wheel of a GTI or even a TTs.

So I decided that,for now, it was better not to buy some pseudo sports car because I just don't have the budget to a buy a good one. My conclusion is simple: you need at least 50K to buy a decent sports car. If you don't have that kind of budget for car, you're better off with a 320d as the resale value will be a lot better and the power difference is not that big anyway.

I

reginos:

Do a google search and you will see cases of Jetta engine mounts breaking reported on forums etc..

A family  Mini Cooper had a problem with broken engine mounts and also a Smart ForTwo I use in the city. In the case of the Smart it was the speed bumps taken a some speed in combination with the short wheelbase.

It's something that happens. They should be inspected more frequently perhaps, although I'm not sure if they suddenly snap without prior warning.

Thanks reginos.

I will do a search when I have the time. For now, I still believe the problem comes directly from the factory. It could be some manufacturing defect from the start. Smiley

amazon:
    reginos:

Thanks reginos.

I will do a search when I have the time. For now, I still believe the problem comes directly from the factory. It could be some manufacturing defect from the start. Smiley

It could very well be manufacturing fault but when I had a chance to inspect the MINI mounts (VW must be similar construction) they didn't appear very robust. They are very light for their size and the metal is of the type that could crack and snap. Perhaps the metal alloys do not stand much stress or they are not very uniform in their manufacture. Some older Porsche engine mounts I had a chance to look at appeared really strong.

--

"Form follows function"

How many miles on the Jetta ?, amazon..
    --

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:
    How many miles on the Jetta ?, amazon..

The Jetta has 80.000 kms. Not much as it's about 15.000 per year

Yes, that's way too early for the engine mounts to have broken. Change them over before you lose the engine mate.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

It sounds like bad luck... a combination of two faulty units randomly met in your car. It can happen i guess.

Would like to see some pics of the new 320d M-sport kiss

Atzporsche:

It sounds like bad luck... a combination of two faulty units randomly met in your car. It can happen i guess.

Would like to see some pics of the new 320d M-sport kiss

Pics are coming, I promise  Smiley

The car is sitting at the dealer right now, I'll pick it up this friday, if not on monday.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 6:32 AM
    GnilM
    803169 1807
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448555 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266108 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90051 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6581 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885685 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833231 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM