Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Collected my GTS today

I wouldn't do it personally, and if then I would get carbon fibre mirrors. 

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso delivery Sept. 2011

I, on the other hand, would...

Recently mirrors get too big. Black ones seem smaller.

I wouldn't go for black mirrors, but it's very much a matter of personal taste.

What I think?I think that the iPhone takes amazingly good pictures!
    On a more serious note: I wouldn't have the entire mirror housing painted black. I think the "standard" Porsche option is to paint only the upper- and the lower part, or the middle part, but not all three. I see now why that is.

So:
    painting part of the mirrors black: yes
    Painting the entire mirrors black: no

Cheers John!
    -Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Do it. It will match perfectly with the balck wheels and the roof.

Personally I like it but not glossy.
    --

There is no try. Just do.

I love them in black, but make sure to have the mirror base in black as well (as is the case with the Cayman).

I like what Simz did to his GTS' mirrors:

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso delivery Sept. 2011

John H:

What do you guys think...?

Maybe some visual assistance can support your decisionmaking... Smiley

1313091323304112.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

I like the all-black. Newbie question: is it ok to take it to your friendly panel beater for a spray, or is that sacrilege..? Is it OEM or nothing..?
    --

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

Here in the UK, it's hard to find a Porsche dealer with its own bodyshop. Usually, OPCs in the UK have an arrangement with a local VW/Audi dealer ... and this was before the merger that is still going through.

If an insurance company is paying, I would get it done by a dealer. If it's my own pocket, I would probably still get it done by a dealer unless the independent bodyshop is truly exceptional.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Thanks Easy.  I'll use the VW approved bodyshop.

I'm surprised that the all-black ones haven't received universal salivation.  To me they are awesome with the wheels.  The 2-tone versions look too busy to me.  Just shows that so much of what we discuss on the forum is subjective.  And emotionally too - as sometimes shows!

--

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

Ferdie:
    John H:

What do you guys think...?

Maybe some visual assistance can support your decisionmaking... Smiley

1313091323304112.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

Many thanks to everyone who has commented...especially Ferdie for the visuals..Smiley

Based on those comparisons I'm now favouring the second one (black on bottom only) which is also what Simz has had done.

Will leave the final decision for a few more days, just to be sure...Smiley

BTW, Ferdie  - you've also given me a 991 sunroof..Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

Based on those comparisons I'm now favouring the second one (black on bottom only) which is also what Simz has had done. [...]

BTW, Ferdie  - you've also given me a 991 sunroof..

Funny, that would be my choice as well. Didn´t change anything on the sunroof but anything is possible if you ask for it... Smiley

The all black look kind of clumsy. I like the lower shell black.

Agreed - I like the mirror with only the lower part in black  

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

simz:

Here are the pics!!!

IMG_4094.JPG1312049734089IMG_4090.JPGIMG_4107.JPGIMG_4114.JPG

@simz: you have exceptional taste Smiley The way you have tied together the inside and outside is really wonderful. I love the white rear centre console, white rear seat backs, white B pillar seat belt outlets, white door trim, black rear wheel arch protection, wing mirrors in black & white - looks perfect SmileySmiley

If I were to spec a 997 Carrera GTS (Coupe in my case), it would be identical except I would add red seat belts to match the red brake calipers. Otherwise this is so elegant yet sporty Smiley

--

997.1 C2S

@easy_rider911: Thank you! It took me forever to decide on combinations and what to do! Glad you all like it!

I think the lower part on black looks the best. Simz really did a wonderful job picking the options. Simz and John have the perfect coupe/cabrio GTS combination. 

John,

Attached is the "all white version" (except wheels) that I had not seen in person until yesterday....so thought I'd pass along to you in case you had not seen one.  What do you think?     I think it's nice...but not as sporty and agressive looking as ours of course!   

The event where I took these pics was the annual "Legends of The Autobahn" Concours in Monterey, Calif.  I attended the event yesterday and found it pretty interesting that I had the only personally owned GTS in the entire car display.  The "all white" coupe in the photos was there on loan from a Porshe Dealer. 

I did not enter my car in the "concours competition", however, I wish I had since I got MANY compliments!  I find it interesting that the GTS is still considered VERY new and pretty rare by Porsche owners and other concours attendees.  Is it that way over in the UK and Europe?

I will soon open a new thread and post some other photos of other great Porsches (and a few of my GTS) and some awsome BMW's and Benz's that were entered in the "Legends of The Autobahn" concours competition.

1313868286494white GTS (1).JPG

white GTS (2).JPG

Hi Doug - thanks for posting..

I think the all white version is interesting in that it gives the car the impression of a lower stance.  However it also creates a 'chunky look' which I find less attractive than ours especially now we have the black stone guards.

Incidentally, the orange markers look dreadful on that demo...yuk.  Looking forward to seeing your Concours photos...

--

Thanks John...and ditto to all you said    The white demo is just a little too vanilla for my taste!  ...and the orange markers...

...will organize my best Concours photos and post them sometime this week under "Legends of The Autobahn".

Have a good week!

As it’s been a year to the day since I took delivery of my Carrera GTS, I thought I'd give a short résumé of my first 12 months living with this car.

Surprisingly I've still only seen two other GTS's, on the road, during this time - one black cab from the rear before it turned off and one grey coupé which was parked up.  So I've had no chance to discuss the car in person with other owners.  This despite having travelled the length of the west of the UK and most major cities with the exception of London.  My trips to London are always taken by train with short taxi rides to business venues, so the opportunity to spot a GTS has been limited.

General Stats...

Total mileage - 8,750

MPG - Overall.. 23.3   Since break-in.. 24.2

Oil consumed - 1.4 litres

Best time 0-60 mph – 3.7 (with launch control)

Tyre wear (Bridgestone) - Minimal

Mechanical problems - Zero

Visits to the OPC - Puncture due to nail (new rear tyre).  Cosmetic - black stone guards fitted and snapped rear decal replaced.

Driving Impressions versus my previous C2S...

Negative - Exhaust note much quieter than the 997.1 with PSE + always-on mod. 

Positive - Everything else!!

PDK took some getting used to and is somewhat less involving than a manual stick shift.  However, once mastered, it is the only way to go without any doubt.

Nothing has changed regarding my attitude to owning a GTS (as referred to throughout this thread) even since the launch of the 991.  It’s a great car, or should I say ‘cars’, as the variety of driving styles and possibilities make it unique...at least to me!  I shall be resisting any change until the 991 facelift GTS arrives.. at the earliest.

All in all – one of my better decisions in life...kiss

--

Great resume John. My sentiments entirely with respect to ownership. I am so glad I took the plunge & bought one.kiss

Great to see you're still enjoying your GTS after a year.  Smiley

I have to agree with your negatives and positives - I miss the sound of the PSE on my 997.1 C2S.  In that car, I found the difference between Normal and Sport modes to be significant and instantly obvious - it was almost like having two cars in one.  With the Sport button engaged (which simultaneously activated PSE, remapped throttle response and dialled back PSM), the change in exhaust note and throttle response was unmistakable - and it literally transformed the car.  In the GTS, I find that the impact of activating PSE and Sport mode (via two diferent buttons) is less significant, i.e. the effect on both sound and feel is not nearly as noticeable as it was on the C2S.

Despite this, I'm enjoying the GTS immensely and haven't regretted the decision for a moment.  Hope your second year is as enjoyable as the first.

Congratulations on your first anniversary . I can't believe already one year passed mail  indecision

Your car looks great and , as you, I am still enjoying my 997 version. As to PDK, I now think it is not that less envolving when driving very spirited in manual mode, as you can do much more gear changes, and doing it at the exact right moment , knowing the change is instant, is also very envolving and a nice challenge .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Yup, I'm also still loving my new GTS, but probably behind the curve in that as my first 911 (and first Porsche) I'm still getting used to everything about the car.  Everything.  After a holiday break, I'm only at 2000km after 6 weeks...

I must admit, I'm battling with the PDK still.  You all refer to "instant", but it's only "instant" in terms of power - it's not instant in terms of reaction, i.e. there's what I'm finding is an annoying half-second (?) pause after clicking the paddle before the change happens. 

Now, I'm sure that it took a little longer to clutch in, change gear and clutch out, but in the manual process, you were engaged in the thoroughly engaged in the process throughout, so you didn't feel like there was any delay, even though there was obviously a delay in the power.  (And as opposed perhaps to the extreme example of an old diesel motor where you had to pause in neutral before engaging the new gear.)

I'm finding it similar to the turbo lag in my old Audi RS2, and I'm definitely not used to it yet, even in manual with the sports button on. 

I'm also finding that the power goes from almost sluggish to warp-speed, again like my old RS2, whereas in my manual S4 the power came on very smoothly.  (If that sounds like a contradiction, remember the Audi RS2 Avant was turbo-sluggish in the extreme, even though once it got going it accelerated to 60 kms/hr faster than Villeneuve's F1 car of the same year...).

Do my observations make any sense to anyone?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:

Yes - which is precisely why I still prefer sticking with my manual box.  I know I might be accused of being old-fashioned (even a Luddite), but when I'm driving, I want to be fully in control, all the time - and the reality is that, as good as PDK may be, you will never have the same sense of thorough engagement and control which you refer to.  If that costs me a second a lap (or in a 0-100 km/h sprint), I can live with it.

Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference, i.e. there is no right or wrong, just what you prefer.

100% agree with you - next to the fact that you can blip the throttle whenever you want  kiss

Budster:

Yup, I'm also still loving my new GTS, but probably behind the curve in that as my first 911 (and first Porsche) I'm still getting used to everything about the car.  Everything.  After a holiday break, I'm only at 2000km after 6 weeks...

I must admit, I'm battling with the PDK still.  You all refer to "instant", but it's only "instant" in terms of power - it's not instant in terms of reaction, i.e. there's what I'm finding is an annoying half-second (?) pause after clicking the paddle before the change happens. 

Now, I'm sure that it took a little longer to clutch in, change gear and clutch out, but in the manual process, you were engaged in the thoroughly engaged in the process throughout, so you didn't feel like there was any delay, even though there was obviously a delay in the power.  (And as opposed perhaps to the extreme example of an old diesel motor where you had to pause in neutral before engaging the new gear.)

I'm finding it similar to the turbo lag in my old Audi RS2, and I'm definitely not used to it yet, even in manual with the sports button on. 

I'm also finding that the power goes from almost sluggish to warp-speed, again like my old RS2, whereas in my manual S4 the power came on very smoothly.  (If that sounds like a contradiction, remember the Audi RS2 Avant was turbo-sluggish in the extreme, even though once it got going it accelerated to 60 kms/hr faster than Villeneuve's F1 car of the same year...).

Some comments:

1. Your car is hardly run-in at 2000km. Expect a big jump in power at around 10.000km and again at 30.000km.

2. There might be some delay in gear change in Normal mode but in Sport and especially Sport +, changes are instant, whether up or down. Definitely, infinitely faster than any leg and hand would be able to change.

3. I've had a chance to drive a manual 997.2 S (a rare specification these days) and compared to the PDK car it felt very much slower in acceleration and "heavier" in perception (although lighter on the scales). With PDK the  power transmission is so smooth and uninterrupted  that it gives the impression that there is hardly any friction between the engine and wheels. It makes the car feel very nimble and effortless and compared to the manual car it feels at least 100HP more. I find PDK a wonderful innovation. It is in its first generation on the 997.2 and by definition there is a scope for further development and refinement.

4. I appreciate that there is a kind of pleasure in manual gear changes, double clutching, blipping the throttle etc. But for me from now on manual is only for my motorcycles. Not on a car anymore. I hope we get the 991 GT3 with PDK very soon.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803836 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266295 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90150 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886019 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834050 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM