Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Wanna see "my" Panamera Turbo S in action ?

Well...not exactly "my" car but it looks exactly the same (black, black rims, black exterior package, privacy glass and PCCB). After watching this video, I'm so happy I went for this combo, it looks amazing.

It is a pity that they had to "destroy" this video with music, I would have loved to listen to the original sound (engine/driving).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlR5R_mUDis

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Re: Wanna see "my" Panamera Turbo S in action ?

kissRC:

Well...not exactly "my" car but it looks exactly the same (black, black rims, black exterior package, privacy glass and PCCB). After watching this video, I'm so happy I went for this combo, it looks amazing.

It is a pity that they had to "destroy" this video with music, I would have loved to listen to the original sound (engine/driving).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

You should get one Christian kiss

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):
    kissRC:

--

Ron...did you miss the "What car should RC get..." thread ? Smiley

I already ordered one...last Monday...very same look. Smiley

--

This fantastic looking machine does have the Sport Package though. smiley

Just teasing...

Porker:

This fantastic looking machine does have the Sport Package though. smiley

Just teasing...

Are you sure ? Sport Design Package? The side skirts are standard on the Panamera Turbo S and I can't really identify the different front in the video. Smiley

--

RC:

--

In 99% of the time (on public roads) you could not drive any faster with a 911 turbo than with a Panamera turbo S. The Panamera is a great car and feeling wise it is closer to a 911 than any four-door car I have ever driven. You will enjoy it a lot SmileySmileySmiley

Still missing the performance of my "beast", Markus but I think I made the right choice. I'm also happy that I get the car earlier, not in June but in May. devil

--

MKSGR:
     The Panamera is a great car and feeling wise it is closer to a 911 than any four-door car I have ever driven. You will enjoy it a lot SmileySmileySmiley

I agree 100%

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0

W8MM:
    MKSGR:
     The Panamera is a great car and feeling wise it is closer to a 911 than any four-door car I have ever driven. You will enjoy it a lot SmileySmileySmiley

I agree 100%

If not, I come visit you and take your Carrera GT for a spin. Smiley

--

RC:

... I come visit you and take your Carrera GT for a spin. Smiley

I've tried to calm what Bobby Rahal calls "oversteer like crazy" by adjusting the rear anti-roll bar to the softest setting.  And, I plan to put on a set of Michelin Super Sport tires with the rear width increasing from 335 to 345.  Here's hoping it will be much more difficult to take for a "spin" Smiley

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0

Cool vid. Makes me feel silly for torque'ing every wheel bolt to 96ft/lbs every time I switch wheels.

Do you know of info on what were the previous records/cars?

Hey RC!  Are you sure the the sport design kit does not include new side skirts?  When I add the sport design package to the configurator, both the front kit and the side skirts change. 

RC:
    Ron (Houston):
    kissRC:

--

Ron...did you miss the "What car should RC get..." thread ? Smiley

I already ordered one...last Monday...very same look. Smiley

Oh wow!!!! Congrats, excellent choice.  Can't wait to read your review kiss.

--
    Happy Driving

Wonderbar:

Hey RC!  Are you sure the the sport design kit does not include new side skirts?  When I add the sport design package to the configurator, both the front kit and the side skirts change. 

This is a good question. My Mac Pro in the office doesn't show all the changes in the car configurator, not even the 3D display. Neither does my Macbook Pro. Only my Macbook Air 11.6 displays the 3D view, which is kind of weird. All devices are running OSX Lion incl. the latest updates, so I'm a little bit startled here. Smiley Yes, all devices also run the latest Java engines, Flash, Shockwave, etc. 

--

I know this Apple Porsche configurator behavior, too. Only one of the four Apple displays the configurator correctly (iMac), although all have Lion with all updates. I've spent a lot of time troubleshooting, can not find the cause.

Itsme:

I know this Apple Porsche configurator behavior, too. Only one of the four Apple displays the configurator correctly (iMac), although all have Lion with all updates. I've spent a lot of time troubleshooting, can not find the cause.

Same here and I really consider myself a pro. I just don't get it. Maybe it has something to do with the GPU driver ? Smiley Smiley

--

I would not call myself an Apple Pro (even though I've already developed software on the Apple IIe at highschool), I make my money with the Microsoft world. There are no problems with the new configurator (the old one is/was BS) running Microsoft.

I have no idea what does not work.  GPU is different at all my Apples. I was thinking about GPU too, but do not know how to test it.

Same here, and no idea how to solve this prob. It does not work on Airbook 13" and iPad but sufficient with Microsoft
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

In my experience it has been a browser issue, on the same machines, with Chrome the configuartion will not work fully, for example, no 3D version, but no problems at all with Firefox once the corresponding plug-in is downloaded on the first visit to the configurator.

--

For me, only Safari works on mac. 

Carlos from Spain:

In my experience it has been a browser issue, on the same machines, with Chrome the configuartion will not work fully, for example, no 3D version, but no problems at all with Firefox once the corresponding plug-in is downloaded on the first visit to the configurator.

I have Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera on all my Macs and none of them works with the Porsche car configurator. Only exception, as I mentioned before, is my Macbook Air 11.6 and I just don't understand why this is the only OSX Lion device the 3D configurator seems to work with. Weird. I still suspect a driver issue, either it is the OSX GPU driver or maybe the Unity 3D OSX driver but it is very annoying and Porsche should work on a solution. I'm not even sure Porsche is aware of these issues. Last time I tried to contact them about the porsche.contain.com website, they didn't even bother to reply. So why should I care ?! Smiley

--

Congratulations RC! Smiley

certainly a great choice although i could have sworn that from your posts it sounded as if you would have gone for the Cayenne... but probably no matter how good it is at defying physics it can not hide the fact that it is a SUV while the Panamera just sits 50cm lower.... look forward to your reiew, the sound of the car ( my neighour drives it) is just phenomenal!!

--

turbolite

Well...why should I lie ? I love how the new Cayenne looks and the black Turbo I testdrove looked just amazing. The Panamera design reminds me a lot of the first Cayenne generation. Interesting, different but not really nice. I guess this is actually my problem, the Panamera reminds me too much of an "old" car, the design isn't really modern or inspiring. Yes, the back is very 911-like, I get it but the car just looks massive, the front looks similar to a Corvette and the front sideline is just weird and very massive too. I won't even start mentioning the well known hunchback...

The slightly curved front lights are just stupid, the designer should get a kick in his butt. Hasn't Porsche learned anything from the 996, 986 and the 955, especially fhe first generation ?!

I'm pretty sure that the Panamera facelift, apparently due 2013, will take care of the frontlights (slightly smaller with no "curve"), the backlights (slightly smaller and especially smaller in height). The front and especially the rear bumpers will also get a treatment which makes the car look less massive. This could hugely improve the design of the Panamera but at the same time also make the first Panamera generation look even more massive and outdated. This is a worry I can't get rid of, sorry. I know, I know, car manufacturers always change things but look at BMW and Mercedes how they do it, the Porsche changes are always too obvious. I also can't hide the feeling that Porsche actually creates two versions of a car from the start already, a first generation and the facelift. They always seem to know that the first generation creates some discussion in people, look at the new 991: Many think that the frontlights are a little bit too big, now guess how the frontlights on the facelift will look alike... Wanna bet ?!

The bottom line is: I ordered the Panamera Turbo S for the performance/handling (there is no Porsche with four real seats with a better performance/handling), the exhaust/engine sound (I wish they would use the same sound for the Cayenne Turbo) and because I wanted to try something new.

My wife also seems to like my decision a lot,  apparently the Panamera is a Porsche model which is surprisingly well liked by women (I don't get it though... yes) , which has been confirmed by many of my wife's friends, including one which is currently looking for buying a used 997 Turbo (no kidding, she is single) but I kind of have a strange feeling regarding the Panamera. Every time I see a Cayenne Turbo, my heart starts beating faster, I just can't help it. For me, the performance SUV is the Cayenne and the performance sportscar is the 911. The Panamera just doesn't seem to fit anywhere in my car world, as strange as this may sound. I always had a sportscar and a family car, not both at the same time.

Did I get second thoughts about the Panamera ? Well...I always had them but my wife doesn't want me to get a Cayenne, my son loves the Panamera and once I sit in the Panamera, I forget all my doubts. This car is so nice from the inside and the drive feel is amazingly close to a 911, it makes me forget driving a Panamera.

Tough decision for me, especially since I have to keep the car for 4 years. It would have been easier on me, if the facelift would have come now...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Rc,

Im ordering 2013 in may/june for aug delivery.

Agate, cognac cedar sport seats
    20's
    Stereo

Debating pccb seems superfluous

The 991 relates to a panemera the same way a 2 door maserati related to the quattroporte.... My wife loved her qp, but the 2 door vague.

watt:
    Rc,

Im ordering 2013 in may/june for aug delivery.

Agate, cognac cedar sport seats
    20's
    Stereo

Debating pccb seems superfluous

The 991 relates to a panemera the same way a 2 door maserati related to the quattroporte.... My wife loved her qp, but the 2 door vague.

Wouldn't it make more sense to wait for the facelift ? Right now, it appears the facelift won't be available until summer 2013. It doesn't make sense to take the "older" model only one or two months before the facelift.

Oh, as far as I heard, the facelift won't get the Turbo S from the start, just the Turbo (rumored hp figure is 520-530 hp).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

We are already seeing the Panamera facelift test mules on streets. We will get it by the end of year or even before that for sure! So it's not such a long way to wait for it... Smiley

dxpetrov:

We are already seeing the Panamera facelift test mules on streets. We will get it by the end of year or even before that for sure! So it's not such a long way to wait for it... Smiley

Nope...summer 2013. Smiley

--

You see, I don't want to sound pretentious, but when you notice camouflaged vehicles on streets of current generation models (usually facelifts) that means that the introduction is within 6 months top. Otherwise they would keep current bodyshell and continue testing the hidden parts for a year or so... It's all different when you test next gen models - the camouflaged mules get on streets much earlier as the change of underbody is directly related with the external elements. I've been following the German manufacturers for many years and this notion was always spot on.

What you might hear from your dealer sources is likely a false information or a lack of insight from his part.
    Believe me we will see it most probably in Paris, but from many ''sources'' even earlier web-based introduction is quite likely.

Cheers

My dealer never provides really valuable information, I usually only mention his claims when I got a confirmation from other sources too.  According to our other sources, the Panamera facelift is due for MY 2014. Which would be summer 2013. This doesn't mean it can't be announced much earlier, for example in Paris (autumn) but I rather think that the Panamera is very important for the Chinese and US markets rather than the Europe market. 

So my guess is...April 2013 Shanghai Auto Show.  This also makes sure that dealers don't sit on their "older" models for too long, once the facelift is announced. It makes a lot of sense and it would be consistent with the first introduction of the Panamera.

On the other hand, I would be very happy if you are right because I could delay my PTS delivery by a couple of months (right now I have a May 2012 delivery date), this wouldn't be a problem.

--

Well, I doubt it will come that early as May-June this year... I expect it to be in dealerships by December.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803571 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448644 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266239 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90129 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6672 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885941 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833618 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM