Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche falls to near bottom in most reliable brand list

Apparently the Cayenne isn't very reliable. Consumer Reports says it's 80% less reliable than the average vehicle which pulled Porsche to 2nd from last (beating only Jaguar) in their reliability list for 2011. Smiley

Interesting to note that the Carrera S is the third best in terms of reliability for individual cars, beaten by a Lexus and the 135i.

http://autos.ca.msn.com/showroom/consumer-reports-least-reliable-brands

Re: Porsche falls to near bottom in most reliable brand list

That's strange, so what it's basically saying is the Cayenne's updates had a significant negative impact on reliability of the Cayenne? Which also dropped the whole manufacturer from 2nd highest/best  to 2nd-worst?

STRADALE:

That's strange, so what it's basically saying is the Cayenne's updates had a significant negative impact on reliability? 

Yes, apparently in more than one category. This site illustrates the ratings differences between the 2010 and the 2011. I'm sure Porsche will sort this out for the 2012.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Porsche_Cayenne/Reliability/

Gregg, I had the first Cayenne and it was unreliable. Many problems to the point I decided to get rid of it. It appears either Porsche has not tried or has failed to improved the reliability of the Cayenne. MY Honda SUV hands down far more reliable.

--

I had two Cayenne (Turbo and Turbo S). One of them had a major problem at around 30000 km, when some ignition coils failed and I had to drive from Paris to Munich on half the engine power or so. I also had a strange steering noise (it felt like "rubbing") on the Turbo S, something I also experience on a Cayenne Turbo I drove some while ago.

Other than that, both cars were very reliable. 

Compared to the 997 however...997 Turbo...30000 km...five years of ownership...zero problems. Same with the current 997 Carrera GTS Cab...4000 km...8 months...zero problems.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Goes to show the Cayenne isn't a true Porsche

I've never accepted it and it doesn't come to a surprise it isn't injected with true Porsche DNA. Sure it's a heck of a SUV with very good performance.. but it's no 911. Also very sad that Porsche never picked up on their Dakar victories of 86 etc. They could have easily done up a Cayenne to show how serious on terrain it is.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

Goes to show the Cayenne isn't a true Porsche

I've never accepted it and it doesn't come to a surprise it isn't injected with true Porsche DNA. Sure it's a heck of a SUV with very good performance.. but it's no 911. Also very sad that Porsche never picked up on their Dakar victories of 86 etc. They could have easily done up a Cayenne to show how serious on terrain it is.

Why not ? It has been developed by Weissach, same as 911, Panamera, Boxster and Cayman. Smiley

I rather think that Cayenne owners are more pretentious than other SUV owners, so they go to the dealer for every tiny issue, no matter how ridiculous it is. My dealer has a Cayenne Turbo he had to take back because they weren't able to fix some issues with the automatic rear lid (in one from 50 times, the rear lid didn't fully close). The owner gave my dealer a pretty hard time because of that. Personally, I would have deactivated it, ask for the money for it back (or let the dealership do one free service, same value) and I'd be done with it. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

My 2004 Cayenne now has 170k miles and I have not had any major issues.  I think Nick is probably correct about his Honda though, I would expect it to be more reliable - the most reliable of any manufacturer IMO.  But, in general Hondas are pretty dull to drive.  Among the European manfacturers, whose styling and driving dynamics I much prefer, I believe the Cayenne is the most reliable SUV.

Would be interesting to see what methodology and sample they used for this survey, JDPower's is regarded as the industries "standard" with a huge population sample and don't remember it matching those conclusions, and the fact that it changed so much from one year to the next by the effect of just on MY model when they say the survey includes cars from 2002 onwards is more than suspect. I would take it with a grain of salt.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Would be interesting to see what methodology and sample they used for this survey, JDPower's is regarded as the industries "standard" with a huge population sample and don't remember it matching those conclusions, and the fact that it changed so much from one year to the next by the effect of just on MY model when they say the survey includes cars from 2002 onwards is more than suspect. I would take it with a grain of salt.

--

That's why I felt it was strange. It would be one thing if the Cayenne were a brand new model. But the UPDATES/redesign on the existing Cayenne were bad enough to take the whole manufacturer from a 2nd best to 2nd worst rating??? 

Smiley

Sign that VW's influence on Porsche is death to the traditional Porsche bullet-proof reliability?

Maybe that would make more sense? But in the link they're saying:

"So, what's to blame for Porsche's seismic 25 spot drop on this rankings list? According to Consumer Reports, it is the redesigned Cayenne SUV, which poll respondents said is more than 80 per cent less reliable than the average car, that is behind Porsche's dependability freefall."

Whoopsy:

Sign that VW's influence on Porsche is death to the traditional Porsche bullet-proof reliability?

There hasn't been any time yet for VW to influence any Porsche products yet, everything thats out now has been designed and finished well before the take over IMO.

--

In the case of the Consumer Reports survey, that is based on the 2011 model only, I just checked.  That may be the case for JD Power as well.  These surveys typically treat a revised model as a completely new vehicle and disregard the previous years data.  Updated models usually have a few bugs and I think that's what we are seeing here.  And with the Cayenne having such a large portion of overall Porsche sales it has a big influence on overall Porsche rankings.

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

There hasn't been any time yet for VW to influence any Porsche products yet, everything thats out now has been designed and finished well before the take over IMO.

The VW influence would be the little cost cutting things that we don't see like switching to a cheaper VW supplier instead of tradition Porsche ones. The parts may look the same to us on the surface, but it's cheaper made and build and doesn't have the reliability.

Doesn't need to be a completely VW dictated design to flush reliability down the drain.

The Cayenne, Q7 and Touareg were already using the same sources for parts, with the exception of the engines.

Panamera had some early problems from what I've heard. But Cayenne???!!!
    --

There is no try. Just do.

My friend has a 2004 Cayenne that's needed about $80K worth of warranty work so far. Anything that could have gone wrong with it, has.

I have a 2009 Cayenne Turbo S, now with 20,000 miles on it and have had virtually no problems.  Two minor things are irritants, however.  The plastic hooks for the backseat entertainment system headsets (which hang on the doors) are cheap plastic and have broken off three times.  The dealer has gladly replaced them under warranty each time, and has done so for several other cars.  Secondly, the plastic aluminum look strip on the rear bumper where I load and unload baggage is also cheap and easily dented.  Once dented, the strip begins to come loose from the bumper, and has had to be replaced (which requires removal of rear bumper).  Also done under warranty. 

Other than those two issues, the car has been absolutely fabulous...

Whoopsy:

The VW influence would be the little cost cutting things that we don't see like switching to a cheaper VW supplier instead of tradition Porsche ones. The parts may look the same to us on the surface, but it's cheaper made and build and doesn't have the reliability.

Doesn't need to be a completely VW dictated design to flush reliability down the drain.

We've had numerous VW Group cars(from VW, Audi, SEAT and Skoda) in our extended family without any problems at all. IMO they have very good quality standards. Porsche sportscars, that I have experience of, have always been very solid and trouble free. Others I know had RMS and IMS problems on the 996/986 range.

BTW the worst car for reliability we've had was a 2001 Mercedes ML.

--

"Form follows function"

9,500km on my 2011 Cayenne Turbo with no problems, my oil level has dropped 1 segment since the car came out of the workshop in July 2011 (Annual service + Software update) other than that, it's been a joy to drive this car.

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/cayenne/2011/reliability.html

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Porsche_Cayenne/

Pros and Cons

+ Powerful engine options and sports-car performance
    + Attractive exterior design
    + Loads of standard safety features
    + New Cayenne S Hybrid is especially sporty for a hybrid

- Higher-level trims and hybrid are extremely pricey for the class
    - Complicated instrument panel can be confusing

reginos:
    Whoopsy:

We've had numerous VW Group cars(from VW, Audi, SEAT and Skoda) in our extended family without any problems at all. IMO they have very good quality standards. Porsche sportscars, that I have experience of, have always been very solid and trouble free. Others I know had RMS and IMS problems on the 996/986 range.

BTW the worst car for reliability we've had was a 2001 Mercedes ML.

--

"Form follows function"

LOL, that was a universal comment, and it's not a German made car.

I hate to say this, buy my 2005 997S has been pretty un-reliable.  I've spent at least $15K on repairs, maintenance, over 45K miles.  If not for the extended warranty, I would be looking at a $15K repair bill from one repair this year, alone.  And, I just got my car back this week for the replacement of the water pump, water hose, coolant reservoir, for $2200.

I think if I had to do it again, I would not buy a brand new generation Porsche.  I would wait a few years.

For comparison purposes, for maintenance and repairs, I pay 32 cents per mile for my Porsche, 23 cents per mile for my Acura TL, and 11 cents per mile for my Toyota Sienna.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

Interesting, I have done twice as many miles on my 2005 997S and yet had practically no porblems, I remember the exhaust support issue for the PSE that needed a welding spot under warranty, and I can't remember if I had anything else 

--

Any time you buy the first year of a new model you run the risk of running into issues. The first year if the Boxster had some engine issues too if I recall.

It's pretty much luck of the draw, but I guess I am pretty lucky, over the years I have had more than 30 cars, most of them are 1st year models, and only 2 of them that really stand out as not reliable. Every other one was perfect or maybe had one warranty work done, among my 3 Porsches, zero work done.

My 1st gen Bangle 7, the automatic closing trunk had to be fixed 6 times and they had to replace the amp 5 times at $9000 a pop over the 3 years I owned it. I still loved that car to death, and the service was top notch, BMW provided a loaner 7 for me to drive when my car is in the shop no question ask.

My other bad car was a 03 RX330, within 6 months I have had the cam broke, and a replacement engine put in, the nav computer had to be replaced twice, traded the car in not long after that. Lexus service was just BAD. They think their car are bullet proof and the problems I had was my fault and never Lexus, I had to fight tooth and nail just to get warranty work. Replacement car? Never. They say I can RENT a car on my own expense while they 'fix' my car. Staffs are just the snobbiest bunch I have ever seen, worse than those in a Ferrari dealership.

I voted with my wallet, never had a Toyota/Lexus since and I am on my 10th BMW since. Reliability is not the end of the world, but HOW you are being treated is, the 745 I had was very troublesome, but with a replacement 7 loaner, I was never really without the car, I had a 745 sitting in my driveway for the whole 3 years, didn't miss a day.

Carlos from Spain:

Interesting, I have done twice as many miles on my 2005 997S and yet had practically no porblems, I remember the exhaust support issue for the PSE that needed a welding spot under warranty, and I can't remember if I had anything else 

I had that issue, but discovered it after the 4 year warranty, but before the extended warranty expired.  The extended warranty was the "platinum" warranty, which was supposed to be the best, but unfortunately, did not cover exhaust related issues.  So, that repair was out-of-pocket.  I also had the RMS issue, within the first year.  But that was fixed.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

Sorry to hear that, you seem to have had a lot of problems frown.gif

--

JoeRockhead:

Any time you buy the first year of a new model you run the risk of running into issues. The first year if the Boxster had some engine issues too if I recall.

My theory is:  don't buy a German car so soon after Octoberfest.  I picked up my 2005 997S on 11/4/2004.  Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

I have had two Cayenne Ss. The only problem I have had is with the ignition coils failing.  Other then those items, my Cayennes have been very reliable.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803974 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448724 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266332 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90161 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886067 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834296 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM