Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2012 BOXSTER S LEAKED Thread Closed

Well done!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

haha lol. Love the DNA with that old 718 spyder. That's just sweet. Hope they make a track sport version RS kiss

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Everything in the Cayman photoshop is wrong...

Cayman "photoshoot" is a good try BUT it is not even close (except for the front and the doors).  It will have a completely different roof and rear quarter panels as well as a larger rear quarter window.  

Atzporsche:

That's exciting and all, but our spies also indicate that this model may boast a next-generation 2.5-liter flat four-cylinder. If those whispers are to be believed, the 2012 Boxster could pack as much as 360 horsepower courtesy of a little forced induction. Word is the vehicle will receive a proper introduction on the show circuit in the next few months.

It is fantastic Smiley

The bad news is it's not a flat 6 and will have turbo lag and response. The good news is it's more powerful, torque will come big and early (what bothers me the most about NA Porsche), and it will be easily tuneable to 400 + horsepower. I wonder how much lighter a turbo 4 engine is compared to a flat 6? This could be a most powerful **and light** Boxster.

I like it. I will take mine with PDK, sport suspension, PCCB. Color: polar silver if PAG doesn't charge me an arm and a leg for it. Yummy!

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Custom Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Porsche with a Subaru WRC engine, turbo flat 4, wonderful............................

cannga:
    Atzporsche:

That's exciting and all, but our spies also indicate that this model may boast a next-generation 2.5-liter flat four-cylinder. If those whispers are to be believed, the 2012 Boxster could pack as much as 360 horsepower courtesy of a little forced induction. Word is the vehicle will receive a proper introduction on the show circuit in the next few months.

It is fantastic Smiley

The bad news is it's not a flat 6 and will have turbo lag and response. The good news is it's more powerful, torque will come big and early (what bothers me the most about NA Porsche), and it will be easily tuneable to 400 + horsepower. I wonder how much lighter a turbo 4 engine is compared to a flat 6? This could be a most powerful **and light** Boxster.

I like it. I will take mine with PDK, sport suspension, PCCB. Color: polar silver if PAG doesn't charge me an arm and a leg for it. Yummy!

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Custom Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

A flat 4 engine hasn't been confirmed for the 981 yet. As of right now, it seems more likely a naturally aspirated flat 6 will make it initially into the 981.

Carrara:
    cannga:
    Atzporsche:

It is fantastic Smiley

A flat 4 engine hasn't been confirmed for the 981 yet. As of right now, it seems more likely a naturally aspirated flat 6 will make it initially into the 981.

Better! A NA flat 6 mid engine with PDK will be a perfect complement to my Turbo - hmm hmm hmm Smiley. I sill harbor hope for an equivalent GT3, but will settle for this happily.
    I could see problems with releasing a 70,000 car with 4 cylinder in the US, especially as 370Z's are running around with V6. Not to imply they are equal cars, by any stretch of imagination.

--

Regards,
    Can

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/boxster/2013/2013-porsche-boxster-prototype-first-ride.html

Can't wait this to be revealed. POSSIBLY MY NEXT CAR ;)

It surprises me that the rear lights and spoiler seem to be different from the pictures that we saw before of the non-camouflaged boxster... would that be another car then?!?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

It surprises me that the rear lights and spoiler seem to be different from the pictures that we saw before of the non-camouflaged boxster... would that be another car then?!?

Do you know the meaning of the word camouflageSmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Autocar's ride. http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/260341/

RC: Do you know the meaning of the word camouflageSmiley

Haha, I guess I do. However, I didn't expect them to camouflage it that well!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

can't wait..........

Taking a ride in the 2012 Porsche Boxster...

(1 December 2011)

Porsche is gearing up to launch its third-generation Boxster, and Autoweek joined a team of development engineers in California as they put the final test miles on prototypes of the new car, which will also form the basis of next Cayman--yet another new Porsche set to arrive in 2012.

We'll be able to tell you more when we actually get to drive the new Boxster after its world debut at the 2012 Geneva motor show. But for now, after riding shotgun for more than 500 miles in the prototypes on U.S. roads, we can confidently say that the new Boxster has moved the whole roadster genre along. It might look similar to the six-year-old model it replaces, but the truth is that it is a new car, with the exception of certain driveline components.

The new Boxster, code-named 981, represents a big break in terms of engineering and chassis-tuning philosophy from its predecessor. Building on developments for the redesigned 911, with which it shares the front-end subassembly, the Boxster is larger. It has an aluminum bodyshell that is claimed to reduce its weight to less than that of the outgoing model. That makes it, in the words of Boxster development boss Hans-Jürgen Wöhler, "the lightest car in its class."

Just how much the new Porsche has grown remains under wraps right now. We can divulge that it is slightly longer and a good deal wider than before. A newly developed, automatically operated cloth roof does without the twist-and-turn manual attachment of old and opens in less than 10 seconds. It is slightly shorter, giving it a more elongated appearance even with the disguise worn by the standard and more performance-oriented Boxsters we rode in.

Changes for the better

Seeing the new car up close also reveals other key modifications, including significantly larger wheel wells that house standard 18-inch wheels. Those wheels use a new aluminum-forging process that makes them lighter than the 17-inch wheels on the current Boxster. The Boxster S gets 19-inch wheels, up from 18 inches today. Along with the bigger wheels come larger brakes.

The aluminum body is supported by a new chassis with a wheelbase that grows from 95.1 inches to about 100 inches. The front track was lengthened by about two inches to measure 60.7 inches. While there are no carryover components within the suspension, the architectural elements remain intact, with MacPherson struts up front and multilinks at the rear. But as Wöhler points out, the spring rates were increased and the damping firmness was reduced.

The changes, together with the larger wheels and tires and a slightly lower ride height, are primarily aimed at improving directional stability and providing the car with a smoother ride over small bumps--two of the main criticism of today's model.

An arguably bigger change is the switch from hydraulic power steering to the electromechanical system that recently debuted on the new 911. Purists will scream. But Wöhler has a message for them: "We know how crucial good steering feel is. But you can rest assured we haven't stuffed it up. Drive the new model next to the old one and you can't tell the difference--it's that good."

Plenty of power on tap

If there's one aspect familiar about the latest version of Porsche's rear-drive roadster, it is its naturally aspirated six-cylinder direct-injection gasoline engines. But while they share the classic horizontally opposed design and continue to be mounted well within the wheelbase at the rear of the cabin, displacement is being reduced.

Again, Porsche isn't giving too much away. But we're told the base 2.9-liter engine in the second-generation Boxster makes way for a 2.7-liter engine, while the 3.4-liter engine in the Boxster S is supplanted by a 3.2-liter powerplant.

Despite the downsizing, Wöhler says that both engines develop more power than those they replace. Porsche had yet to receive final certification figures at the time of our ride, but expect something around 270 hp and 325 hp.

Other driveline changes center on the seven-speed dual-clutch PDK gearbox, which was reworked with a new electronics package to make it more intuitive and to provide faster shifts. It now also supports a so-called sailing function that decouples the engine when you lift off the throttle on declines, cutting the engine revs to idle and reducing rolling resistance.

But it is the manual transmission that will undoubtedly make headlines. Like the new 911, the Boxster S gets a seven-speed unit as standard. It's based on the PDK gearbox and comes equipped with a lockout that prevents you from shifting into seventh from anywhere but fifth and sixth gears. Owing to its lower torque rating, the base Boxster sticks with the existing six-speed manual.

More power and less weight results in better straight-line performance, with 0.2 second shaved off the 0-to-62-mph time of both the Boxster and the Boxster S, bringing their acceleration times down to 5.6 seconds and 5.0 seconds, respectively.

With the new steering system and a stop/start function, fuel economy is improved. The surprise, however, is by how much. Wöhler revealed that the combined average for both new Boxster models is up by 18 percent--a figure he says nets the base model 27.6 mpg (U.S.) and boosts its range to about 475 miles on the standard 17.2-gallon tank.

Still sporty, but smoother

Sliding into the new Boxster is a bit like climbing into the new 911. You get the same dashboard, the same rising center console and the same switchgear, all modeled on the Panamera. It's all contemporary looking and the perceived quality is higher than before. However, Porsche has not forgotten its roots: The traditional ignition placement on the outside of the dashboard and the five-dial instrument binnacle remains.

So what can be taken away from our first ride?

On first experience, from the passenger seat, the new Boxster clearly has moved up. Impressions are of a more mature car with a broader set of abilities, which is in line with Porsche's claims that it will appeal to a greater cross section of customers than ever before. The deft sportiness that has made the car such a favorite among enthusiast drivers since its introduction in 1996 remains well ingrained, but it now is combined with an additional layer of smoothness.

We'll hold off on passing judgment on its exterior styling until we get to see it undisguised, but its new interior certainly gives it a more upmarket feel. A moderate increase in cabin length adds space. Added clarity within the instruments, improved ergonomic detail to the dashboard and a new mechanism for the door-mounted stowage bins also make it easier to live with. That said, we're sad to see the manual park-brake mechanism make way for an electronic device.

At typical highway cruising speeds, the new Boxster displays greater refinement than the car it replaces; mechanical, road and wind noise are all reduced with its excellent new cloth roof in place. The lightweight structure, which is mounted on a magnesium frame, is better fitting than before, most notably around the trailing edge of the side windows. As with the old roof, it can also be operated on the run at speeds up to 31 mph, folding and stowing partly underneath an enlarged tonneau cover behind the cabin. But even with the roof down, the underlying impression is that the new Boxster is quieter than ever before.

There's greater compliance to the suspension, which results in improved levels of ride comfort around town. Despite the adoption of firmer springs, small-bump absorption is much improved, with less agitation through the underpinnings--especially at the front end. Wöhler credits the new Boxster's aluminum-intensive body structure, which is claimed to have gained significantly in overall rigidity, with providing the basis for stiffer suspension-mounting points. That's not to say that it isn't sporting in feel, just that inherent harshness on certain surfaces has been relaxed a little.

Agility at speed

Wöhler, who also headed up development of the last Boxster, admits that the roadster's character has been altered slightly to give it added comfort. But he insists it hasn't come at the expense of overall agility, which he describes as being "better than ever before."

What impressed most as we watched him guide the Boxster over mountain roads overlooking the Pacific Ocean was the ability of the new Boxster to carry big speeds through corners without once needing to check progress, such is the fluidity and neutrality inherent in the new chassis. It's hard to say whether it improves on the outgoing model in terms of handling, but in isolation it hints at greatness.

If you're searching for a more definitive verdict you'll have to wait until we get to drive the new Boxster for ourselves. The crucial thing is that despite the changes in character, the new model appears to retain all of the crucial traits that have made it such an exciting car to drive up until now. That also goes for the sound of its new engines, which continue to growl with the same familiar tone and ferocity as before.

Suddenly, 2012 can't come soon enough.

(Autoweek article by Greg Kable)

Article link:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111201/CARREVIEWS/111209983

Image link:

http://www.autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20111201/CARREVIEWS/111209983/AR/new-porsche-boxster.jpg

Thanks for posting- I had to go out and buy this weeks Autocar on the strength of it.

I'd love to rush out and buy one, particularly as SWMBO doesn't get on with the Cayman at all. She finds the standard seats uncomfortable and really misses the adjustable squab angle and lumbar adjustment of the comfort seats, and the much more compliant ride of PASM we had in our beloved and lamented Boxster S.

Unfortunately with retirement only a few years away I don't think we will be able to justify the costs of changing yet again. Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

dreamcar:

Unfortunately with retirement only a few years away I don't think we will be able to justify the costs of changing yet again. Smiley

I would buy pre-owned from the Porsche network. There is so much choice.

We bought a 3 year old Boxster from the UK last year from an official dealer and the car was as good as new in all respects with warranty at a huge saving. In the end I wonder why I bought my 911 new.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    dreamcar:

I would buy pre-owned from the Porsche network. There is so much choice.

We bought a 3 year old Boxster from the UK last year from an official dealer and the car was as good as new in all respects with warranty at a huge saving. In the end I wonder why I bought my 911 new.

Same here with the Cayman - last year paid £57k for it. It's now worth around £32k. So much for Porsche not discounting to maintain residual values! I agree with you Reginos, I wouldn't buy new again. And I wouldn't buy any Porsche again from PC Bournemouth after the indifferent way we were treated once they'd got our money!

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

25k loss, are you sure?. How many miles on the clock and how many months old is the Cayman.?.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

I only lease my Porsche cars for obvious reasons but if I would buy one, I would probably get a used one from the Porsche network. I found some amazing offers in the past (was checking offers for fun only), especially on expensive models like 997 Turbo S or Panamera Turbo.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

throt:

25k loss, are you sure?. How many miles on the clock and how many months old is the Cayman.?.

New November 2010 Mileage 7,000. They would "go up to £35k if I was to sell it to them now for a brand new one". How very generous! Smiley

--

dreamcar, I used cars.com when I sold my 987S, is there a similar service in the UK? It took very little of my time to sell to a private party and my depreciation averaged right around 5k per year. You have an excellent spec that is nicer than 99% of the crazy configurations dealers get and low mileage and under warranty are both big selling pluses.  If you move fast before the official 981 info hits the net I'd bet you can get £5-£10 more skipping the dealer.

RC:

I only lease my Porsche cars for obvious reasons but if I would buy one, I would probably get a used one from the Porsche network. I found some amazing offers in the past (was checking offers for fun only), especially on expensive models like 997 Turbo S or Panamera Turbo.

Correct.

I specced my Turbo S to near 200k euros.

And I'd probably get 150k euros for it now, after one year, ouch!!!!Smiley

Futch:
    RC:

Correct.

I specced my Turbo S to near 200k euros.

And I'd probably get 150k euros for it now, after one year, ouch!!!!Smiley

A german car dealer offers a brand-new 997 Turbo S 918 Spyder Special Edition for 157k EUR (incl. VAT).  Smiley

If I would have the money for a toy car, this would be it. 

--

dxpetrov:

Almost disclosed Boxster!

Enjoy more in here!

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/porsche-boxster-als-erlkoenig-ab-2012-mit-vierzylinder-turbo-1092305.html

Great find Smiley Smiley

--

2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

2007 997 GT3

2006 Mercedes G500

1993 964 Turbo (Sold)

This is amazing. At this rate, we should see the car fully revealed online sometime in the next few days/weeks. Looking forward to it.

Liking: the three-dimensionality of the taillights and how the indicators jut out from the main light unit, the air intakes on the sides and associated door treatment, the more muscular rear arch along the back of the car and the more sculpted air intakes in the front. I also love how they treated the rear parking sensors by embedding them into the black diffuser at the bottom rather than dotting the bumper with the sensors.

Disliking: the new spoiler [it looks too fragile and delicate, like a good yank will snap it right off], the tiny daytime running lights in the front air intakes and how their size doesn't correlate with the size of the headlights and the fact that the front lights don't integrate LED turn signals the way the Cayenne and 911 do.

Can't wait to see the interior, though. It'll be markedly different from the Panamera/Cayenne/911 - from the shots posted at the beginning of this thread, it's clear that the sport chrono clock is embedded between the two air conditioning vents. I wonder how they'll integrate the rising center console architecture given the smaller cabin space they have.

And now we wait...

rulesdontapply

We've already seen it undisguised.

13239664831571.JPG

13239664976312.JPG

^

yes, but now we can see the front from a better perspective in its full glory! ;)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809689 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450736 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268109 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91215 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8023 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889204 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    841602 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM