Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Collected my GTS today

What a perfect way to celebrate your 5000th post on Rennteam

Thanks for all your wonderful contributions to this community - especially the humourous ones - and, more recently, relating to your new Carrera GTS Coupe 

Here's to the next 5000 posts

Cheers

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Congrats to a 5000 John!

Oh, and the black stone guards look very pretty to me, primarily since I love the link to the historic models, but also because they tie the look of the flat white together by having some black accents all around...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

John, you are one of the integral parts of Rennteam. Looking forward to the next 5000 posts as well....

Just had to put my 5000th post on this thread together with the latest photo of my GTS.

No explanation required, your car looks better every time I see a picture of it - and it makes me look forward to the arrival of my GTS even more (four months and counting).  Smiley

Ferdie:

John, you are one of the integral parts of Rennteam. Looking forward to the next 5000 posts as well....

+1, your posts are always very enjoyable and you help make this place so great.

Smiley

Now I remember ... when I see the black guards on the rear wheel arches of your white 911, they perform a cosmetic function but also a practical function of protection too - plus they are easy to keep clean and do not discolour like the clear ones do.

It reminds me of something else from the past that I like ... I always liked dark coloured suede elbow patches on a tweed sports jacket. They looked good cosmetically but they also performed a protective function too when resting one's elbows on a desk etc.

Both the guards and elbow patches were popular in the 1970s. Some things were just right back then and still are

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Many congratulations on your 5000 - enjoyed all your contributions Smiley

BTW the black guards look great,  super finishing touch Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

Many thanks guys...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John,

It has been...and IS always a pleasure sharing GTS information and experiences with you! 

Congrats on post #5,000!   ...always enjoy your contributions to all the topics.  

Thanks Doug    have you ordered your black guards yet? 

--

The black  guard looks awesome John

Question, is it possible to order the rear grill/spoiler thingie in black as well?

I think that would be a nice contrast and look pretty cool from the back.

John H:

Thanks Doug    have you ordered your black guards yet? 

John,

No, I have not ordered them yet...even though I think the black guards look great!  

I guess I don't mind too much how the clear guards look now...so I'm still contemplating if I want to make the change now...or later on down the road Smiley 

I just went over 5,000 miles last weekend...and I am going to get my first oil change soon..before I make the long vacation drive to the Porsche Escape to Arizona in September (1700 miles round trip).

I'll keep you posted!  

Hi Doug - just wondered why you think you need to make an oil change now at 5,000 miles rather than the Porsche recommendation that it should only be necessary at 20,000 miles..?

Would be grateful to hear your reasoning - many thanks...

--

John,

I just believe in changing out the oil after the break-in period, at some point.  I realize there is no directive from Porsche to do this, however, my feeling has always been that it cannot hurt to change the oil once a complete engine break-in has been achieved. 

Along with a lot of "spirited driving" on the street, I also have completed two high speed track days and a "hard driving" autocross day...so I am very confident that the car has had an excellent break-in workout!   

So....yes, I know I'm a bit "anal" about getting the break-in oil changed  ...however, after that I will return to my usual "rule of thumb" which is to change the oil once a year.  I will probably drive the car about 6,000 - 8,000 miles per year.

Now, time to go golfing!!  

I parted with my deposit this week to secure my build slot for my Carrera GTS, so it's now the long wait until delivery later this year - probably mid November. that's OK, I've been waiting a decade to get permission to finally get one... then the wife felt that to expect her to drive her Toyota SUV was unfair, so she twisted my arm and I had to order the Cayenne Diesel for her - she thinks I was compromising... I'm trying hard to keep the smile off my face! White GTS with black interior with the black rims PDK (sorry pure blue!) PASM sports chrono pack Etc etc Metallic black Cayenne All the extras... ...including the electric tow bar for my mountain biking - don't tell her! can't wait! True Blue - are you waiting for a January registration..?

Nice pair, delivery should be special. 

Welcome to Rennteam btw 

Congrats and welcome to the club! I'm told I have a Sept build slot, which should mean delivery by late-Oct/early-Nov. The waiting sucks, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

PureBlue - Porsche tell me that there's no point in waiting for a January reg (i.e. holding off and taking delivery in December only and using temporary plates 'til Jan) as the cars are considered 2012 models (and would be listed as 2012 in their approved car list on re-sale).  As you know, South Africans are fixated with year of registration, which would list them as 2011 cars (like the UK when it's all about the next letter).  What's your view on this - is it different for Porsche...?

Mmm...I hadn't even considered that as an option.  PAG took a while to confirm my order, given that I wanted a manual and the SA allocation was all PDKs - so I messed up their plans a bit.

To be honest, I'm just too damn impatient to get my hands on the GTS to even consider extending the delivery date.

From watching the "Approved Used" prices on the Porsche SA website (for the Jhb, CTN and Dbn OPCs), my impression is that mileage counts for at least as much as year of registration.

So, my advice would be to just get it as soon as you can.  Trust me, when you know that your new 911 is waiting for you in the showroom, you'll find it very difficult not to rush down there to drive it away immediately!  Smiley

Gave the GTS a good clean yesterday and it seems to have made all the difference to people's opinion of the black guards, including my wife's!! 

Will definitely be keeping them now (not that there was much doubt all along) 

P1000237.JPG

P1000241.JPG

P1000242.JPG

--

John, 

Thanks for the photos.  The car looks awesome!  

...so after a few days of ...I made my decision!   My dealer ordered the black guards for me and expects to have them in a couple of days ($68.00/pair)...so I should be able to get them installed within a week at most.     Thanks again for the part number.

Also, I had a nice long chat with the Service Manager about changing the oil...and he recommended at least 10,000 miles before I change the oil.  He reminded me that the "break-in oil" that is used when they Dyno the engine during assembly at Porsche is removed after the thorough Dyno testing.  The Mobil One is then put in the car ONLY after the engine Dyno tests are complete and to (minimum) specs.  Therefore, any particulates that may be in the oil during the hard Dyno testing are removed prior to filling with Mobil One 1-40.  

He grees with my "rule of thumb" of changing the oil once per year, regardless of miles driven (for me it will be 6,000 to 8,000 per year).

Thanks for questioning the oil change!     ...and I believe I learned alot about the benefits of a dry sump system and absence of a PCV valve.   

I'm looking forward to the black guards now!! ...and will post a pic or two once installed (after giving the "baby beast" a bath of course!)   

I could look at pictures of your car all day long john. absolutely beautiful. 

Enmanuel:

+1 Smiley

--

RT Moderator 

easy_rider911:
    Enmanuel:

+1 Smiley

Many thanks guys - I was beginning to worry that maybe they were becoming boring...I just can't seem to stop taking photos..Smiley

After six months, the novelty of GTS ownership has certainly not waned... if anything it has intensified..Smiley

Close

--

What I'd love to see are photos of your car in the wonderful countryside of North Wales

--

RT Moderator 

No problem - will be going to the 'Triangle' again next week...

--

Boring?! You're crazy.

Great ... looking forward to it John

--

RT Moderator 

Those black stone guards are slowly but surely growing on me (although I had some initial doubts).  They just seem to work so well with the white-and-black theme of your GTS.  I'll definitely have to consider getting some of these. Smiley

Very nice indeed John!

There are other colors that I find more "involving" than white, but those black stone guards break the white up just enough to please my eye.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803638 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448661 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266252 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90135 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6685 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885958 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833720 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM