Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

Did anybody else notice the front splitter that is visible at 2:25 until the end of the video? It looks like it is taking the place of the small form fitting plastic piece that all of the other 991 prototypes have, and not a full splitter. Maybe this is the adjustable front splitter we've heard about, or could it be optional equipment? Either way it looks and sounds great!

side mirrors look massive.....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Carrera I noticed that too and replayed that bit several times to get a better look at it.

It looks very sporty, GT3 like, but I wonder if it is adjustable or just plain old fixed..

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

T'he new car sounds great, and will probably be great.  But man am I tired of seeing the same old black camouflaged mules touring about.  I feel like a moviegoer before color films....

Porsche-Jeck:

@ a928: very nice to "meet" you here on RT Smiley As per my definition you have easy access to the NoS and you own a beautiful GT3 - what about enjoying the real thing instead of crunching numbers ? Smiley

As for the 991: I love the "old" Mezger engine in my GT3 but I'm sure Porsche will fit the 991 GT-models with a race worthy engine (whatever the technical solution will look like).

Porsche simply cannot afford to stuff a non track worthy engine into the GT-models.

And in the easy to drive (at the limit) department the longer wheelbase, wider track and the slightly frontward moved engine will make the big difference.

Hello Porsche Jeck,

Well I didnt know you were so active here..:),,oh yes...crunching numbers is boring Smiley,,but hey, I have Spa Francorchamps here around...probably nicer then the NBR..

Thanks for the good words about my GT3..more pictures you can see in the other forum where we had already contact. By the way, I might sell my baby for a GT2....but Im not so really convinced that it would be worth the money...if I would own the Gt2, the first thing I will do is set the supension right..the thing seems for me a bit too soft..

Coming back to the 991 GT3 - look at this interesting post from the pff.de forum - Porsche (Mr Thomas Wasserbäch - Leiter Motormechanik) made apparently a lecture at the Fachhochschule (~university) in Munich in Nov. 2010 .- where he made the following statement:

"Der aktuelle DFI Block geht nur auf max. 3.8L Bohrung und verträgt nur 7500rpm"
    Translated this means: the actual DFI engine block can only go up to 3.8L und would only allow for 7500rpm..

If thats true (what I didnt know - but suspected it - what I knew definately is that actual DFI engines would starve if you put slicks)..then this will heat up the discussion again

By the way, just drove 800Km on German highways..average speed probaly 16-170km/h..average consumption: 11L...this is really almost not beatbable...I bet the Italian horses and Bulls would use at least 15L for the same speed..

a928:

...if I would own the Gt2, the first thing I will do is set the supension right..the thing seems for me a bit too soft..

Please do yourself a favour and ask some real experts about this (Manthey for example). GT2 and even GT2 RS feel somewhat softer compared to their naturally aspirated siblings, but I think Porsche did choose the softer set-up for the GT2 and GT2 RS for good reason: high powered Turbo engine plus "stiff" suspension can be very demanding when driving at the limit (more so for the driver than for the car Smiley) - much easier to control in a n/a car.  Maybe it's not a coincidence that the fastest GT2 driver (south of race Pros) I know is driving a bone stock car- he uses to say: "once one of the modded GT2s will pass me on the track, I will re-think the mod thing" Smiley
    Anyway, best of luck with finding the right GT2 for you (I recently heard of some good deals - good for the buyers that is Smiley - for slightly used cars).

Back on the 991 engine topic:  I guess the key word in Mr. Wasserbächs lecture could be "Der aktuelle DFI Block" Smiley I am sure the engine developers in Weissach are not sleeping and in two years or so from now (when I expect the first 991 GT3s to hit the showrooms) the today (997.2 Carrera and Turbo) aktuelle engine block may already be "old iron" ?

As for the lower redline RPM (7,500 in the actual DFI): Porsche is already making their customers familiar with lower redlines even in their best performing cars: the 4.0 RS hits the rev limiter before the 3.8 does and even before the 3.6 Smiley

Ahhh, and before I forget: Spa-Francorchamps is faster but not "probably nicer" than NoS (but it's a quite close 2nd) Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Thank for the video

The look and sound is amazing,but I'm still a little bit worry about the headlights shape.....

--

2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

2007 997 GT3

2006 Mercedes G500

1993 964 Turbo (Sold)

Porsche-Jeck:
    a928:

...if I would own the Gt2, the first thing I will do is set the supension right..the thing seems for me a bit too soft..

Please do yourself a favour and ask some real experts about this (Manthey for example). GT2 and even GT2 RS feel somewhat softer compared to their naturally aspirated siblings, but I think Porsche did choose the softer set-up for the GT2 and GT2 RS for good reason: high powered Turbo engine plus "stiff" suspension can be very demanding when driving at the limit (more so for the driver than for the car Smiley) - much easier to control in a n/a car.  Maybe it's not a coincidence that the fastest GT2 driver (south of race Pros) I know is driving a bone stock car- he uses to say: "once one of the modded GT2s will pass me on the track, I will re-think the mod thing" Smiley
    Anyway, best of luck with finding the right GT2 for you (I recently heard of some good deals - good for the buyers that is Smiley - for slightly used cars).

Back on the 991 engine topic:  I guess the key word in Mr. Wasserbächs lecture could be "Der aktuelle DFI Block" Smiley I am sure the engine developers in Weissach are not sleeping and in two years or so from now (when I expect the first 991 GT3s to hit the showrooms) the today (997.2 Carrera and Turbo) aktuelle engine block may already be "old iron" ?

As for the lower redline RPM (7,500 in the actual DFI): Porsche is already making their customers familiar with lower redlines even in their best performing cars: the 4.0 RS hits the rev limiter before the 3.8 does and even before the 3.6 Smiley

Ahhh, and before I forget: Spa-Francorchamps is faster but not "probably nicer" than NoS (but it's a quite close 2nd) Smiley

Hi Porsche Jeck Smiley

Thank you for your comments..the GT2RS softer than the normally aspirtaed engines..are you sure about this.? I cant believe it..its also against on what I heard so far...by the way  - I know an owner of the GT2 RS...and in the next days I will get a ride to give you the relevant feedback :)

Oh yes...hard GT2s can be beasts..but thats the charm of it...its like a beatufil women..there is always a catch/problemSmiley

On the 991 subject, well, it would be against Porsche logic of saving money to completely redesign the DFI engine for a GT3 - andf the current 9A1 engine will also be in the normal 991s--thats a fact

youre right about the lower revs...today I drove an DFI 997S..and was amazed how quickly I get to the redline...plus I can tell the S with 385hp simply has no punch above 5000rpm..its fuel consumption is not lower either..but of course the suspension is how to say, much better, still very good handling, but by far not as harsh as ours..the PDK also disappointed me ..when you shift up the PDK takes away 3-500rpm to protect the gearbox..well..thats a bit odd..but I have the say the 997S with 385hp is certainly the better daily car..and still fun to drive..and still a real Porsche..I hope they dont make the 991 softer..

Are you still active in the other forum? I think we should once go for one of theseSmiley..write me either here or in the other forum- thanks :)

Porsche-Jeck:

P-J - Are you sure about the 4.0 having a lower rev limiter than the 3.6 and 3.8?  As far as I know, the 4.0 makes its maximum power higher than any previous street-legal 911 (peak power at 8,250).  I think peak power for the 3.8 is around 7,900 rpm.  I don't know where the limiter is on the 4.0, but I think some articles referred to the redline of the 4.0 being 8,250 when this is instead the power peak (maybe the redline is also 8,250, but I expect it's a bit higher).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

rev.jpg

Although that tach seems to indicate a redline of 8,400 rpm, I believe the 3.8 has the same redline on the tach (although the published redline is 8,500).  I suspect that the redline and rev limiter are identical for 4.0 and 3.8, although 4.0 develops its peak hp much closer to that limit.

Thanks for the great photo!Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Can you even over rev these engines without management kicking in these days? 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

a928:

Are you still active in the other forum? I think we should once go for one of theseSmiley..write me either here or in the other forum- thanks :)

Could you please tell me what is 'the other forum'.....thanks!

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Atzporsche:

Yes you can, with downshifting into a too low gear at the wrong moment (with too much speed that is). There's nothing the motor management can do then.

--

Matt C
    2009 997 GT3 Mk2  / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

Matt C:
    Atzporsche:

Yes you can, with downshifting into a too low gear at the wrong moment (with too much speed that is). There's nothing the motor management can do then.

Except you've got something like PDK. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

a928:
    I think we should once go for one of theseSmiley..

Excellent idea Smiley - I'll shoot you a PM Smiley

You will love the ride in the GT2 RS (my feeling regarding slightly "softer" suspension is purely subjective of course, for more objective data one should compare the spring rates which I don't have at hand).

I'm not that much visiting the other forum (@ John: it's a german speaking forum), spending more time in a (closed) forum with my track buddies (less talk on decal colours, more talk on track stuff Smiley).

@ Grant: my comment was made a bit in jest,  but actually I may have misread  Porsche's announcement on the 4.0 RS Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

New photo!!   

DSC02094.JPG

http://www.flickr.com/photos/151092/

151092:

New photo!!   

... and still looks like all the others. SmileySmiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

... and still looks like all the others. SmileySmiley

... and the photo?!  Smiley Smiley

1304163816054DSC02090.JPG

http://www.flickr.com/photos/151092/

Another video 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5LPpLZpLog 

pjd:

Another video 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5LPpLZpLog 

Smiley SmileySmiley

Needs a better sound porsche!

--
    Gee Tee Two, dangit she is fun Chevy Tahoe, dangit are you a big pig

That sliding roof panel looks a bit sloppy to me.  Hope it's an option...

It looks like those scion tc cars! Looks super cheap to me.

Wonderbar:

That sliding roof panel looks a bit sloppy to me.  Hope it's an option...

You can always opt for sunroof delete like I did with my 997S, but I hope that is not the finished deal, looks very awkward and not very good at all Smiley

--

It's not. Recently, a few 991s were spied without the ugly glass roof. BTW, in that video, it sounds like the sports exhaust is off, because in the other video the 991 sounds amazing!

2012 Porsche 911 Caught Testing in Los Angeles...

"There are two things we should note immediately about these spy shots of the 2012 Porsche 911. The first is that, despite this car literally falling into my lap (it was testing directly in front of my house), I am the worst spy photographer in the world. The second thing is that prototype engineers -- despite using public roads and parking in very public Burger Kings -- DO NOT like when you try to take pictures of their project.  (And no, I didn't blur his face-- public place = no reasonable right to privacy. Plus, journalist.-- it was dark and he was dancing around the camera.)

The next thing you should know is that this 911 prototype, which may not have production exhaust / emissions equipment, sounded like no Porsche I've ever heard. It was deeper, less frantic and had a bit of a burble instead of the Porsche rasp (EDIT: if I just heard it without seeing a Porsche, I would have guessed small displacement V8. For whatever that's worth.).....it also had a pronounced flutter off-throttle. No whine or blow-off noises, but when traffic slowed from our max of 27 to a stop, there it was. Not a surprise that a new 911 would breed a new 911 Turbo and this certainly has the stance for it.

I heard it before I saw it. Like most of us, I can usually identify things by sound, not this. I heard it behind me and had to look. I saw the camo, saw the frog-like shape and slotted behind it. The Porsche saw what I was up to and bolted down a side street -- FAST -- it sounded great and was way faster than I could go. At that point I gave up and turned back home. Luckily, LA traffic saved me and the Porsche was stuck a block ahead and turning right. Another half block and the 911 prototype turned into the BK parking lot where the engineers (you can tell by the dorky sneakers) were ready.

The second they saw the camera it was all over-- they weren't going to get out of the way. I'll save you from the pictures where they're taking pictures of me and I'll save you from the story where the call me a stalker and the lawyer I had riding shotgun laughs out loud."

Porsche-911-Testing-in-LA_Inside-Line-article-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 991 in Testing...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

2010 Porsche 991 testing at the Nurburgring...

...thanks to AMS for a great high quality video of the next Porsche 911!

Smiley SmileySmiley 

good find Smiley

only 3.5 months to see the real deal and I bet we will see the real thing before September Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782536 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    443012 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263548 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    262031 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86095 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6053 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881768 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820264 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM