Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2011 Australian F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne

Their car is so fast they don't even need it, Vettel didn't even use it in his classification lap and he still got a bigger time difference with the other teams than last year's classification in Melbourne.... like I said, if there is any shift in the positions of the teams is will  be because of accidents, engine falures, tire degradation, etc.... the pilot is the last value in the equation again this year 

--

Sounds like Red Bull outsmarted the other teams with their creative light weight KERS version.

They are gambling that their chassis will keep competition away during the race as they would not have KERS to defend.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Nice race. Mercedes and Ferrari cars are not up there yet. Bravo Vettel!

--

There is no try. Just do.

YES! Congrats to Vettel, well done! It was a good decent first race. Mercedes disappointing...

Well done Renault and Sauber especially! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Sauber with last year Ferrari's engine (I think)... There must be some people really pissed off at Ferrari right now...

--

There is no try. Just do.

Carlos from Spain:

.... the pilot is the last value in the equation again this year 

The pilot still counts. See Hamilton at P2 and Petrov at P3 compared to Webber, Alonso and Button.

--

"Form follows function"

Well done Vettel  Great race for Hamilton. I was impressed by Petrov, Perez and Di Resta. Heidfeld was very poor.

BTW why were the Sauber drivers disqualified?

Qualification lap times

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9417652.stm

Race result

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9417656.stm

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Technical infringement by Sauber - such a pity ... Perez made such a great debut

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9437693.stm 

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

reginos:
    Carlos from Spain:

.... the pilot is the last value in the equation again this year 

The pilot still counts. See Hamilton at P2 and Petrov at P3 compared to Webber, Alonso and Button.

I couldn't disagree more. The McLaren was the second fastest car on the grid and started from second place, a driver like Ham had no troubles taking... 2nd. And Petrov had a lucky start, actually he broke too late into the first corner and pushed Button out and then Button pushed Alonso in turn, and he went through while letting more cars though the inside with him, then a two pit strategy, his rivals to far behind and a decent car did the rest. Far from impressive, think of what a driver like Kubica could of done with those circumstances today, pity he is not back yet, lucky for Petrov.

The only place were we saw the pilot factor is within the teams, Ham vs But, Vet vs Web, Alo vs Mas, and Ros vs Sch. The second drivers of the teams were the big loosers today. Ouside that, it was a predictable 1-Red Bull, 2-McLaren a 3-Ferrari with wildcard Petrov in the middle due to race circumstances. Boring race, there was no fighting between the top drivers.

--

In all forms of racing the mount counts for a lot. Whether in cars, motorcycles, bicycles and even horse racing. It's a combination of the two of course.

However, we should not eulogize for our favourite driver when he wins and OTOH attribute his not so good performances to bad luck, other drivers' behaviour etc.

Whilst, it might too early to judge Petrov, Vettel and Hamilton shone today against their team mates and the drivers from the third top team, Ferrari.

On a different note, Petrov's podium is very good for F1. Russia is a huge market.

--

"Form follows function"

Not all forms of racing are the same, that combination is in different proportion in each one, I guess you don't follow MotoGp for example. F1 is one of the forms of racing were the driver counts the least, in MotoGp and specially the lower cc classes, you can have a rider on worn out tires slidding all over the place carve his way up from the bottom of the grid and still win the race, all thanks to the rider's skills. Didn't use to be the way it is in F1, but it is now since some time. And this is true in all the GPs whether its your favorite who wins that time or not. We will see which car performs best in two weeks in Malasia's hot and huid conditions, may not necesarily be RedBull that time, and that car will be your winner of the GP save random factors altering the result.

Doesn't mean all drivers have equal skill, and we all have our favorites but the fact is that the top drivers are practically on the same level wether we like to admit it or not, and unfortunately, the little differences they may have get swallowed up by all the other factors in F1 including moveble wing gadgets, kers boosts, tires designed to force multiple pit stops, etc all to add some artificial uncertainty to an otherwise 100% predictable race. Not all the human factor is absent from F1, the engineers count for a lot as we have seen in the last four seasons.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Not all the human factor is absent from F1, the engineers count for a lot as we have seen in the last four seasons.

Another important aspect of driver involvement is in the development of the car and having achieved that, setting it up for races at the various circuits. Another area that not all drivers are equal, given their machines.

--

"Form follows function"

For those who can receive it, BBC4 is showing an hour-long programme tonight at 9pm on the 'glory' years of F1.

The sixties and seventies when no fewer than 57 drivers were killed and countless others injured...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Thanks John  

--

RT Moderator 

John H:

For those who can receive it, BBC4 is showing an hour-long programme tonight at 9pm on the 'glory' years of F1.

The sixties and seventies when no fewer than 57 drivers were killed and countless others injured...

Thanks, John...

Recording that...Smiley...

Did anyone spot how peed off Webber was after the race. Must admit, I do not understand why Vett's car was soooo much quicker this weekend. After what you guy's are writing above, you must agree that Webb surely should be closer..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

It's the same car, maybe he needs to step it up... no one gives you an inch here.

--

throt:
    John H:

Thanks, John...

Did anyone spot how peed off Webber was after the race. Must admit, I do not understand why Vett's car was soooo much quicker this weekend. After what you guy's are writing above, you must agree that Webb surely should be closer..

I don't know what was the meaning of it but after qualification, when Webber got of his car and was walking back to the scale he stopped to look at Vettel's car parked in the pole's area in front, especifically the front wing area, he even bent foward to get a closer look and seem curious, intrigued or puzzled about something. Could of been anything but it was very curious to se him do that.

--

I read something on another forum that raised an interesting point.  The point of KERS is to recover energy lost from braking.  It is an introductory green technology.  Red Bull's KERS system doesn't do this; it just gives them a boost at the start, and that's it.  They haven't included the energy recovery system in it, or, if they have one, they didn't use it this weekend.  Is that not against the rules of KERS?

--

Where is the energy for the extra initial boost, derived from?

--

"Form follows function"

Warm up lap

AFAIK it is charged up in the pit lane garage. The car doesn't carry the charging equipment (for weight reduction and weight distribution reasons).

AFAIK Red Bull denied this whole story - saying they are having problems with their KERS device - it affects the layout of the car and its aero efficiency. Adrian Newey delayed/vetoed it for this reason. This is what Christian Horner was saying yesterday to the BBC.

--

RT Moderator 

Andrew Benson's blog on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/03/can_anyone_catch_red_bull.html

James Allen's blog:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/03/vettel-in-total-control-in-season-opener-in-melbourne/

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

More on Red Bull and KERS

This was a red herring ...

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/03/red-bull-using-start-only-kers/

Confirmation from Christian Horner

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90310

--

RT Moderator 

A start-only trickle charged battery aid, would have been against the rules, because it doesn't constitute KERS. It is not a Kinetic Energy Recovery System.

--

"Form follows function"

Martin Brundle's view

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/12880809.stm

--

RT Moderator 

Carlos from Spain:
    throt:
    John H:

Thanks, John...

I don't know what was the meaning of it but after qualification, when Webber got of his car and was walking back to the scale he stopped to look at Vettel's car parked in the pole's area in front, especifically the front wing area, he even bent foward to get a closer look and seem curious, intrigued or puzzled about something. Could of been anything but it was very curious to se him do that.

I spotted Webber taking a look too, he clearly is puzzled as to why Vett is so much faster. You can be sure Vett gets the preferential treatment, well thats my opinion anyway..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

I spotted Webber taking a look too, he clearly is puzzled as to why Vett is so much faster. You can be sure Vett gets the preferential treatment, well thats my opinion anyway..

Very true, I don't think anyone can deny that either, Webber is on his way out of RB soon and Vettel is RB's chances of future championship wins and they want to make sure they can keep him for a while, and that means giving him anything he wants. Even last year they had no problem taking Webber's front wing and giving it to Vettel for the race, imagine this year... can't say that I blame them, all teams must give their best stuff to the driver that has the best chances, but its a pity in RB since Webber is such a nice guy, you can't help but wish him the best in everything.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    throt:

Very true, I don't think anyone can deny that either, Webber is on his way out of RB soon and Vettel is RB's chances of future championship wins and they want to make sure they can keep him for a while, and that means giving him anything he wants. Even last year they had no problem taking Webber's front wing and giving it to Vettel for the race, imagine this year... can't say that I blame them, all teams must give their best stuff to the driver that has the best chances, but its a pity in RB since Webber is such a nice guy, you can't help but wish him the best in everything.

It's such a shame Webber didn't win the championship last year. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Carlos from Spain:
    throt:

A big +1, really hope he does well in Malaysia..

Must be so hard to control your temper and nerve when you know your the number 2 driver. 

Webb's like a dog chasing its tail, the tail being Vett.....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Rossi:
    Carlos from Spain:
    throt:

I'm an Alonso fan (yes its true, I know I hide it well Smiley 10) but even I would of been glad if he would of won it, the worst part is that I think that was his last chance at a title too, last year he got a more or less fair treatment up until mid season because no one expected him to do so good against Vettel, this year I don't think he will get even that opportunity... does anyone think tere is that much difference in race pace between Vettel and Webber as what we saw in Australia?

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803311 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448600 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266158 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90085 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6639 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885775 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833387 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM