Crown

Forum - Thread

GT3 RS Two Weeks from Delivery :)

Here I am, two weeks from delivery (of a beautifully specced 2011 GT3 RS). With all the talk about the new and upcoming 991, the GT3 RS 4.0... What would you do? I like new technology and being ahead of the game in terms of technology and style, but I also like the GT3 RS in its current version with the 3.8 Mezger engine. I am sure I am not the only one facing this decision, so all advice is appreciated :) Thanks!

Re: GT3 RS Two Weeks from Delivery :)

The rumoured limited edition will also have the Mezger engine, BUT it will be sustantially more expensive.
    The 991 GT3 won't have the Mezger engine and still is a couple of years ahead.

So if you like the 997 just like I do, I would go for the GT3 RS now.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Pilot:
    Here I am, two weeks from delivery (of a beautifully specced 2011 GT3 RS). With all the talk about the new and upcoming 991, the GT3 RS 4.0... What would you do? I like new technology and being ahead of the game in terms of technology and style, but I also like the GT3 RS in its current version with the 3.8 Mezger engine. I am sure I am not the only one facing this decision, so all advice is appreciated :) Thanks!

It will still be a number of years before we see the sporty off-springs of the 991 generation. The standard 991 will be around 400hp and more focused towards everyday usage, even comfort. If you have an RS on order now, I suppose that standard 991 wouldn't do it for you despite having the latest technology on board.

The 4l RS will be substantially more expensive (from what we know today) should you be able to get your hands on one at all. I'd say stick to your order and enjoy the RS for a couple of years. That's what I do.

IMO the 3.8 GT3 RS is a great car, probably one of the best versions of the 997, because all the quirks have been ironed out, the technology in it is superb, and the track focus makes the driver so connected. If i were you I'd stick with the RS for a few years until everything with the 991 has been sorted out and there are more sporty variations out on the marked for you to choose from.

It really is a no-brainer....you have to go for it, or wait around for ages wishing you had!!

Could you share the spec' with us please..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Life's too short. You are fortunate enough to have the means (and taste) to own such exquisite machinery. Enjoy it. You can cross the 991 bridge when you get to it. 

+1 get your GT3 RS and enjoy it, it's still a masterpiece and the newest tech out there for another couple of years. Then you can upgrade or not...

Btw, judging from your avatar it's grey with red wheels? 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

What do you all think the base price of the LE will be?

2011 GT3 RS LE (deposit down)

2011 GT3 RS 

2007 GT3 RS

1998 C2S

1997 C4S

1977 911S

--
    98 Carrera 2S 77 911S 07 Audi RS4 07 GT3 RS (on order)

John H:

It really is a no-brainer....you have to go for it, or wait around for ages wishing you had!!

Could you share the spec' with us please..

It's not a no-brainer Smiley ... my daughter says no-brainers are for people that have no brains Smiley

But anyway... here are the specs Smiley

A4  Grey Black

DZL Black Contrasting Color, Wheels and Graphics

78  Black Full Leather

450 PCCB

474 Lifter

603 Dynamic Cornering Lights

XUB Headlight Cleaner Ext Color

XMJ Rear Center Console Carbon

CDN Red Air Vent Slats

CFX Floor Mat with Red Leather Surround

CLA Thicker Steering Wheel Alcantara

XLG Alcantara Storage Lid w Logo

XSC Porsche Crest on Headrest

P23 PCM 3.0

490 Sound Package Plus

870 Universal Audio Interface

619 Bluetooth

I think I've come up with a perfect package now I just have to go pick it up... from the looks of it I should be able to get it around Valentines Day Smiley

Atzporsche:

+1 get your GT3 RS and enjoy it, it's still a masterpiece and the newest tech out there for another couple of years. Then you can upgrade or not...

Close... I did get the Grey color but with black contrasting color and wheels. I have always wanted a car with black wheels and I think this car has the perfect attitude for black wheels Smiley

And thank you for the advice.

Atzporsche:

Close... I did get the Grey color but with black contrasting color and wheels. I have always wanted a car with black wheels and I think this car has the perfect attitude for black wheels Smiley

And thank you for the advice.

Thank you everyone for your input :) I appreciate your thoughts and it seems the consensus is clear... I should go for the RS. So, unless I change my mind again in the next two weeks I will post some new pictures of my new car in the near future. Cheers!

***THE ORION LEADER HAS JUST DOCKED IN SAN DIEGO***

So, it seems that my ship has come in ;) The dealership from which I am (or will be) purchasing my RS has informed me today that the ship holding my car has reached the port in San Diego!! Now it's finally in California! They said it will take up to two weeks to clear customs and reach the dealership. After that... well you know what happens then :)

Great news, cannot wait to see her in your posession.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Really exciting - enjoy

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Pilot:

***THE ORION LEADER HAS JUST DOCKED IN SAN DIEGO***

So, it seems that my ship has come in ;) The dealership from which I am (or will be) purchasing my RS has informed me today that the ship holding my car has reached the port in San Diego!! Now it's finally in California! They said it will take up to two weeks to clear customs and reach the dealership. After that... well you know what happens then :)

Congrats!  Smiley

My GTS arrived at the dock in San Diego on January 21 and I picked it up at my dealership in Northen CA (500 miles from SD) on January 27.  It should not take two weeks to reach a dealership in CA. 

Looking forward to some pics of that fantastic RS!  Smiley

just do it, the 3.8 RS is a great car

Turbo4ever:

just do it, the 3.8 RS is a great car

Absolutely right, the 997 GT3 RS is amazing.

It will take at least three years until we see the 991 version of it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Hey RC, thanks a bunch! I think you guys are convincing me :)

Your GTS did not require special transportation.  The GT3RS is only delivered by one trucking company who is qualified for special handling, thus takes a bit longer than a normal 911. 

Hi Michelle, it is a pleasure seeing you on this board! Welcome to Rennteam.

Good point mlarsson. 

My car was also delivered a few days earlier than anticipated...however, I would hardly a custom ordered GTS a "normal 911".    

mlarsson:

Your GTS did not require special transportation.  The GT3RS is only delivered by one trucking company who is qualified for special handling, thus takes a bit longer than a normal 911. 

A bit of an insult to the GTS  - as a brand new member, perhaps you should show a little more respect.. however, nevertheless, welcome to Rennteam..Smiley

--

John H:
    mlarsson:

A bit of an insult to the GTS  - as a brand new member, perhaps you should show a little more respect.. however, nevertheless, welcome to Rennteam..Smiley

How is that an insult? He is simply stating the differences between transporting a GTS and a GT3RS. You GTS guys are so defensive Smiley

Trip - wouldn't you be...??

--

John H:

Well if he were to say something like, "The GTS is not a special car" or "boring," then maybe I would object, but what he said was not along those lines. He simply stated the two transportation methods. Yes, he did say "normal" 911, but that is hardly an insult imho. Smiley 

mlarsson:

No big deal!!    Smiley   

Not to belabor the issue...but just to clarify, my dealer says that a GT3 or an RS can be transported to dealers with other 911s, Boxsters, etc...just depends on the specific situation at the time of the transport...unless the owner or dealer has made special arrangements for a "single car carrier" for trucking.    

trip:
    John H:

Well if he were to say something like, "The GTS is not a special car" or "boring," then maybe I would object, but what he said was not along those lines. He simply stated the two transportation methods. Yes, he did say "normal" 911, but that is hardly an insult imho. Smiley 

Well, let's put it down to his 'inappropriate terminology' then..Smiley

To my mind there is no such thing as a 'normal' 911 - they're all pretty special in my book...and, in any case, the information imparted proved erroneous..Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806066 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449303 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266940 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90394 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7088 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886932 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835679 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM