Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Litte update on my X5M

26 l / 100 km isn't much for 275 kph...my Cayenne Turbo S ate up to 39 l / 100 km at that speed.  

Sorry to hear about your trouble, five days without the car must have been very annoying.

I actually enjoy a lot the combination of sportiness and comfort of my X5 M but to be honest, the X5 M could easily take another 100 HP more without a sweat.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

......but what's the CD M Drivers package story again ?

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

......but what's the CD M Drivers package story again ?

It is actually pretty simple:

If the car is ordered from the factory with the M Driver's Package, it comes already installed with it.

If the car is not ordered from the factory with the M Driver's Package, it can be installed at 2000 km or later only.

Look at the car's documents: if the top speed says 250 kph, you need to install the M Driver's Package, it should be on a DVD with your VIN number on it. If the top speed says 275 kph, then the M Driver's Package is already installed and there is nothing to do anymore.

Mine came with it installed from the factory.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

It is actually pretty simple:

If the car is ordered from the factory with the M Driver's Package, it comes already installed with it.

If the car is not ordered from the factory with the M Driver's Package, it can be installed at 2000 km or later only.

Look at the car's documents: if the top speed says 250 kph, you need to install the M Driver's Package, it should be on a DVD with your VIN number on it. If the top speed says 275 kph, then the M Driver's Package is already installed and there is nothing to do anymore.

Mine came with it installed from the factory.

Thats quite correct.Smiley
    And yes, 5 days without the X5M are very annoying especially if you get an 535i GT as bridge car.
    Can't say how soft and instable the car felt likewise to the X5MSmiley
    You're complaining about "diving" with the X5M?
    Take the new 5 GT and y'll never, never say a single word about...Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S (Jun 10) *  BMW X5 M

I am approaching 4600km now.  Loving the car.  But this week, we had a technical glitch.  The auto tailgate wouldn't shut.  Brought it back and they diagnose it as a connector issue.  Car is fixed and everything works again.  Average fuel consumption is 19.5l/100km for us.

Oh yeah, and our loan car was a white 130i with all the BMW Performance goodies.  Looks great, drive even better!  The little 130i surpassed my expectation, even for someone who has a highly modded 135i.

I think the 130i is the more preferable convenience car over an 535iGT. That GT doesnt only look heavy, that how it feels, too! I had it coupel of time as a rental car on biz-trips, not enjoyable to me at all!

Unfortunatley, there are no X5M rentals

I recently started to see much more 5 GT series cars on the street. Is there some sort of special offer from BMW? This car looks hideous, especially the rear.

--

I drove the 550GT at the local launch. It's actually pretty good as a tourer and a luxury car. Handles pretty well too. I'm going to be driving the GT, 7 series and all the M cars at the end of this month at Phillip Island MotoGP track. I'll let you guys know how the GT compares to the X5M/X6M.

Just my opinion: thers no comparison applicable since they have nothing in common unless 4 doors and wheels....
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S (Jun 10) *  BMW X5 M

A small anniversary:

Today my X5 M reaches 20,000 km after 13 months. How quickly the time passes. Time for a photo and a little review. The X 5 is far away from having problems. It couldn't be easier, just a controlunit (Dynamik Drive) had to be exchanged once. This is undoubtedly a really good performance for a 555 HP car. 

He was always a loyal - and if necessary  - also sporty companion. The fuel consumption at an average over the time stabilised at 18.6  l / 100 kph. The awaited understatement get fulfilled. It’s a very normal X 5 in the public perception. Nobody can guess how much power is under the hood.

Unfortunately the exhaust sound has neither changed nor improves. I’m a little sorry about this.

But overall I’m very pleased with my „truck.“ Nevertheless nowadays I’m looking forward what’s next, which car will be the successor?  Only rough thoughts: Something like Panamera Turbo S, BMW M5 (if with AWD).

Other suggestions?

Foto.JPG

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Conny997:

Nevertheless nowadays I’m looking forward what’s next, which car will be the successor?  Only rough thoughts: Something like Panamera Turbo S, BMW M5 (if with AWD).

Other suggestions? 

Ferrari FF? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Thanks for the update, consumption is quite steep, glad to see you're not making an issue out if it!

Regarding successor, I'd say M5 or if 4WD is a must an Alpina B5 Allrad? Upcoming Audi RS7 might be attractive too if you like the styling?

My fuel consumption is at 19.8. You are doing very well!

nice little write up Conny. Glad to hear you are happy with the cars after 13 months. Did you get it something for the anniversary, like a nice detail. PS. I second the FFF option haha.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car as much as it should. imo if you have other cars its always best to keep an suv to take care of things you can't do with a car. rather than a Panamera if you really want to change go with the cayenne. 

Rossi:

Ferrari FF? Smiley

Well, the preferred understatement would be really perfect...

Smiley

..but the FF isn't bad at all, a fresh new design, maybe.....Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

@ Porker 
    Yes, a Alpina B5 might be a very attractive alternative but by now the AWD isn't available. The Audi is a different story: I don't like Audi in any way. Just a personal view.

@Enmanuel
    Of course a Cayenne is always worth to think about but right now I'm not so much in love with it. But thats more designwise particularly the backside. From the interior and technical view the Cayenne would please me

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

My B7 has awd...............................................Just saying.

Debadged it and it looks just like any other 7.

7 months with the X6M, coming up 9600km and averaged 19.5l/100km.

My X5 M (April 2010) has now slightly over 10000 km on it, absolutely (and I mean totally) trouble-free...so far. I love this car, especially because it looks like an ordinary X5 and nobody actually recognizes it. I'm also very surprised to learn that many people actually seem to like the X5, some even ask me why I didn't go for the beautiful X6. 

My next family car ? I don't know yet.

My wife wants to take over my X5 M lease when her lease runs out next year.

I'm still looking into a 991 Carrera S (maybe Cab) but I also can imagine going for a Cayenne Turbo S or a Panamera Turbo S. These two are actually the only two cars I could imagine replacing the X5 M. The new Cayenne looks pretty small and people over here don't even care about it anymore, good decision (and great design job) to downsize it "visually". The Panamera seems to impress a lot of people and surprisingly, nobody actually views this car like some sort of gas guzzler, which is also a good thing for me. Unfortunately the visual presence of the Panamera is massive, maybe too massive for me. The 991 is a different story, this is a 911 and a 911 is almost always acceptable (socially).

The new M5 will surely be very attractive from many points of view but I'm a Porsche guy, not a BMW guy and after my 997 Turbo lease runs out this spring, I can't really stay without a Porsche. I put too much soul/work/passion into Porsche cars and my relationship with Porsche is also pretty close, so I would be very dumb to throw this all away.

My dream car is still a 997 GT2 RS or at least a GT3 RS or maybe a 997 Turbo S but I guess I'm going to have to wait for the 991 for various reasons. Money doesn't grow on trees I'm afraid. 

--

Christian,

Giving away the X5 M to wife will be a good move. Then you can get rid off the M3 cab and can replace it with 991 Carrera S cab.

Then you still have 2 cars to give away; 997.1 Turbo and Mini. Leaving them out of the garage may give you place for a special ride

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:

Christian,

Giving away the X5 M to wife will be a good move. Then you can get rid off the M3 cab and can replace it with 991 Carrera S cab.

Then you still have 2 cars to give away; 997.1 Turbo and Mini. Leaving them out of the garage may give you place for a special ride

Not quite. If she gets the X5 M (and she really seems to want this truck), I get the Porsche (no matter which one it will be in the end). No room for a third car.

There will be however another Mini, very likely the Mini Countryman Cooper S for the entire family and my business but nothing fancy anymore.

I was recently fantasizing about getting a slightly used 997 Turbo S or 997 GT3RS, even the new Carrera GTS came into my mind (dealer has two, a Coupe and a Cab) but I really can't do it right now, the 997 Turbo has to go first and it would help a lot if my wife's lease ends too. We may try to find somebody to take over here lease contract for another year but this isn't easy, despite the fact that she is paying a pretty low monthly lease payment.

Maybe it is a good thing I can't make any car decision this year. Porsche could introduce the 991 Turbo and/or GT3 in 2012, so it may be worth the wait. Rumor indicates 2013 for the 991 Turbo but who knows, maybe I'm lucky. Smiley 

To be honest: I don't have a clue what car I am going to get for me but one thing is for sure...it is going to be a Porsche. Smiley

--

Deisgn wise the new Cayenne is a big letdown, especially the rear. My wife already said we will not get one of the new ones. Same for the Panamera. Although it looks better in real life than on the pics, depending on the angle, it still looks terrible. Maybe that Maserati SUV?

Lol RC, I just realized we both have 1x Porsche and 3x BMW in the garage.

RC, did you de-badge your X5M to make it 'look' like a regular X5 or is that overkill in your part of Germany?

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

RC, did you de-badge your X5M to make it 'look' like a regular X5 or is that overkill in your part of Germany?

Of course I de-badged it. Smiley

Most people seem to think this is a Diesel but they are quite confused when they hear the engine/exhaust sound and even more confused at the fuel station. Apparently many people over here don't know that there are also non-Diesel versions of the X5. Smiley

--

Good - smart move :)
    --

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Despite the pretty insane fuel prices over here right now, I haven't heard much SUV criticism lately from people around me. Weird. On the contrary, I get the feeling that especially smaller SUVs or so called "crossovers" are selling pretty well over here in Bavaria. No wonder, this winter has been pretty harsh compared to other winters.

De-badging is part of german society/culture, most X5 I know don't have any model designation on them (it is usually on the side). Same with the Cayenne or Panamera. 

--

I find the differences between countries/cultures etc interesting. Germans de-badge to disguise a top of the range car to avoid jealousy, criticism etc. Here in the UK, I think de-badging is less common but it is usually done to disguise an entry level engine size. But my observations are based more on what people do in London and the southeast of the UK.

--

easy_rider911:

I find the differences between countries/cultures etc interesting. Germans de-badge to disguise a top of the range car to avoid jealousy, criticism etc. Here in the UK, I think de-badging is less common but it is usually done to disguise an entry level engine size. But my observations are based more on what people do in London and the southeast of the UK.

It is the same in Istanbul. And there are many false badge-ing here, too. I used to regularly see a black 997.1 Carrera 4 cabrio with "Carrera 4S" badge where I went to gym (at that time I had 997.1 Carrera S); I see many Gen.1 Cayenne V6's with "Cayenne Turbo" badges and I don't want to start with M3/M5 badges on 316/318/320/520 BMWs.

I can understand to de-badge a car to avoid jealousy and to hide entry level. BUT to pretend more than what you are makes you classless and shows your inferior complex.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

RC:

Despite the pretty insane fuel prices over here right now, I haven't heard much SUV criticism lately from people around me. Weird. On the contrary, I get the feeling that especially smaller SUVs or so called "crossovers" are selling pretty well over here in Bavaria. No wonder, this winter has been pretty harsh compared to other winters.

De-badging is part of german society/culture, most X5 I know don't have any model designation on them (it is usually on the side). Same with the Cayenne or Panamera. 

Christian,

How much is 97 octane in Germany right now?

Here in Istanbul, 97 is almost 1,90 Euro/ 1L SmileySmileySmiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803372 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266191 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90098 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885812 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833430 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM