My X5 M (April 2010) has now slightly over 10000 km on it, absolutely (and I mean totally) trouble-free...so far. I love this car, especially because it looks like an ordinary X5 and nobody actually recognizes it. I'm also very surprised to learn that many people actually seem to like the X5, some even ask me why I didn't go for the beautiful X6. 

My next family car ? I don't know yet.

My wife wants to take over my X5 M lease when her lease runs out next year.

I'm still looking into a 991 Carrera S (maybe Cab) but I also can imagine going for a Cayenne Turbo S or a Panamera Turbo S. These two are actually the only two cars I could imagine replacing the X5 M. The new Cayenne looks pretty small and people over here don't even care about it anymore, good decision (and great design job) to downsize it "visually". The Panamera seems to impress a lot of people and surprisingly, nobody actually views this car like some sort of gas guzzler, which is also a good thing for me. Unfortunately the visual presence of the Panamera is massive, maybe too massive for me. The 991 is a different story, this is a 911 and a 911 is almost always acceptable (socially).

The new M5 will surely be very attractive from many points of view but I'm a Porsche guy, not a BMW guy and after my 997 Turbo lease runs out this spring, I can't really stay without a Porsche. I put too much soul/work/passion into Porsche cars and my relationship with Porsche is also pretty close, so I would be very dumb to throw this all away.

My dream car is still a 997 GT2 RS or at least a GT3 RS or maybe a 997 Turbo S but I guess I'm going to have to wait for the 991 for various reasons. Money doesn't grow on trees I'm afraid. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW