Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

918 RSR - Official Data & Photos

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is continuing to extend its performance and high efficiency competence via intensive development work in the field of hybrid technology. With the Porsche 918 RSR, the manufacturer of sporty premium vehicles is presenting a high-end synthesis of 2010's successful hybrid concepts. The two-seater mid-engine coupé 918 RSR clearly reveals what happens when the technology fitted in the 911 GT3 R hybrid and the design of the 918 Spyder are transferred to a modern, innovative super sports car. 

With its highly-efficient flywheel accumulator, the 911 GT3 R hybrid racing car proved to be an attention magnet during competition racing on the Nürburgring Nordschleife circuit, during the American Le Mans Series races (ALMS) in Road Atlanta/USA and the ILMC run in China's Zhuhai. It demonstrated its massive performance potential under realistic motor racing conditions against top competitors. The 911 GT3 R Hybrid, referred to internally as the "Race Lab" actually surpassed the high expectations of Porsche Motorsport. Competitiveness, high reliability and exemplary fuel efficiency combined with top performance underscored the Porsche technicians' basic idea of generating additional power in an intelligent manner. The 911 GT3 R Hybrid obtains its additional power from its own vehicle dynamics when braking. Porsche is now transplanting this technology into the mid-engine coupé 918 RSR, the motor sports version of the 918 Spyder concept car. 

From the tradition established by classic Porsche long-distance race cars such as the 908 long-tale coupé (1969) and the 917 short-tail coupé (1971), the Porsche designers created a link to the postmodernism of the "form follows function" philosophy. In the 918 RSR, the lines' elegant flow is dominated by muscular wheel arches, dynamic air intakes and a pulpit-like cockpit. A visible fan wheel between the ram air intake tubes and a rear spoiler with RS Spyder dimensions additionally emphasise the racing laboratory function. The new "liquid metal chrome blue" colour which has been created underscores the sculptured curves of the forms, whilst the typical Porsche hybrid orange colour on brake calipers and the body's longitudinal stripes lends remarkable touches.

Motor racing technology also dominates within the particularly light, torsionally stiff carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) monocoque. The V8 engine is a further development of the direct injection engine from the successful RS Spyder race car and now offers an output of precisely 563 hp at 10,300/rpm in the 918 RSR. The electric motors on the two front wheels each contribute 75 kW, i.e. a total of 150 kW, to the peak drive power of exactly 767 hp. This additional power, which is generated during braking, is stored in an optimised flywheel accumulator. 

In the 918 RSR, the two electric motors offer a torque vectoring function with variable torque distribution to the front axle. This additionally increases agility and improves steering response. Mounted upstream of the rear axle, the mid-engine is integrated with a racing transmission also based on the RS Spyder race car. This further developed six-speed constant-mesh transmission with longitudinally mounted shafts and straight-toothed spur gears is operated using two shift paddles behind the racing steering wheel.

The vehicle's functional equipment underscores its puristic motor racing character. Whether it be the characteristic doors which open obliquely upwards, the air intake in the roof between the wing doors, the quick-action locks on the front and rear CFRP lids, the two roof-mounted aerials for pit radio and telemetry, the RS Spyder-like small, lateral front flics or the air splitters beneath the front lip or no-profile racing slicks on 19" wheels with central locking, the vehicle can be clearly recognised as an experimental racing laboratory.

In contrast to the 918 Spyder concept car, unadorned racing atmosphere predominates in the interior of the 918 RSR. The figure-hugging bucket seat's brown leather covering cites the history of the gentleman driver; the gear flashes on the racing steering wheel and a recuperation display on the steering column in front of the display screen supply the pilot with information. Instead of the futuristic, ergonomically avant-garde centre console with touch-sensitive user interface from the 918 Spyder concept car, the 918 RSR's cockpit is split by a minimalistic console with rocker switches. Instead of a second seat, the flywheel accumulator is positioned to the right of the console.

This flywheel accumulator is an electric motor whose rotor rotates at up to 36,000 rpm to store rotation energy. Charging occurs when the two electric motors on the front axle reverse their function during braking processes and operate as generators. At the push of a button, the pilot is able to call up the energy stored in the charged flywheel accumulator and use it during acceleration or overtaking manoeuvres. The flywheel is braked electromagnetically in this case in order to additionally supply up to 2 x 75 kW, i.e. a total of 150 kW, from its kinetic energy to the two electric motors on the front axle. 

This additional power is available for around eight seconds when the system is fully charged. In the successful 911 GT3 R Hybrid, this additional power can also be used as a consumption aid depending on the racing situation, e.g. to delay pit stops or reduce the fuel tank volume and therefore the weight of the vehicle.

With the new 918 RSR racing laboratory, Porsche is now elevating this motor racing hybrid concept to an experimental level. In the 918 RSR, "Porsche Intelligent Performance" equates to research into methods for further sustainable efficiency improvement under the intensified conditions of the race track, lap times, pit stops and reliability – a metier in which Porsche has been demonstrating its success for over 60 years.

Finally, the starting number, 22, pays homage to the anniversary of a further triumph. Back in the days when overall victories in Le Mans were not yet an entirely routine matter within the Porsche racing department, the pilots Dr. Helmut Marko and Gijs van Lennep were the first to cross the finishing line in 1971's 24-hour classic. The distance record set by their Porsche 917 short-tail coupé – 5335.313 kilometres (3315.21 miles) at an average speed of 222.304 km/h (138.13 mph) – did not remain unbeaten for an eternity, but for exactly 39 years until 2010. At the time, the 917 in the Martini colours was also an experiment and far ahead of its time: a magnesium space frame set new standards in Porsche's lightweight construction domain. 

S11_0014.jpg

S11_0013.jpg

S11_0017.jpg

S11_0012.jpg

S11_0007.jpg

Follow the discussion about this concept here: 

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20194374/Re_2011_Detroit_Auto_Show__Spectacular_Porsche_concept_debut/page1.html#p20194374

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: 918 RSR - Official Data & Photos

It's unbelievable how much this car looks like the 904!

Porsche 918 RSR revealed in Detroit...

Link: Porsche-918-RSR-official-microsite

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

OMG that is so epic of Porsche... Virtually the first concept car design is now pretty much a serious race car with the same hybrid lab test objectives. I'm shocked how amazing close to the concept this design is and i think this is the best possible strategy Porsche could have come up with.. To market this car in a couple of years after some successful racing means Porsche can pretty much charge $500,000 easy with people lining up for more...

Well done Porsche, this is a fantastic plan and im very excited to watch the 918RSR grow..

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Hey All,

Last week I was in Qatar for the first "Qatar international motor show". I had a wonderful opportunity to get in, open up, and listen to a factory driver depress the accelerator until ears bled! What a magnificent vehicle.

Lots of pics of the 918 RSR are now posted up on blyfooze:

http://www.blyfooze.com/2011/01/porsche-918-rsr-world-premiere-in-detroit-press-release/

And if you are keen to see some other pics, there are lots spread out over a few articles. I'm also about to post up two big featured test drives - Bentley's new Mulsanne and the new Rapide from Aston Martin.

918 - k5.jpg

918 - k4.JPG

--

Current steeds in the stable include: Porsche 996/911 (2004) '40 Jahre' Anniversary - 363bhp, Porsche-VW 914 (1973) 1.7 - 78bhp, Volkswagen Tiguan (2008) 2.0TFSi - 200bhp, Volkswagen Touareg (2009) V6 - 280bhp, Volkswagen Golf Mk3 (1993) VR6 - 189bhp

Very nice!

Please tell me there is a door hinge on the roof line.  Otherwise that's a crazy close tolerance between the door and the roof.  Wouldn't take much of a bend to cause a binding there - especially in a race vehicle.  The doors sure seem to open wide though.

Beautiful car.

Door hinge pic below!

You are dead right, it is a close roll over to the roof. It is a stunning vehicle, and I can't wait to see the production/street version of the regular 918!

door hinge 918 RSR.jpg

--

Current steeds in the stable include: Porsche 996/911 (2004) '40 Jahre' Anniversary - 363bhp, Porsche-VW 914 (1973) 1.7 - 78bhp, Volkswagen Tiguan (2008) 2.0TFSi - 200bhp, Volkswagen Touareg (2009) V6 - 280bhp, Volkswagen Golf Mk3 (1993) VR6 - 189bhp

Kiran, great shots.

Is that you in the lower photo?

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

yep, yours truly!

--

Well, nice to meet you, buddy. Next shot, we want to see you in the driver's seat. And maybe one of your nice reviews.

--

With some luck, I'm going to be in the driver's seat in less than two weeks.  

Yes, lots of photos, I promise. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

Smiley There's still only the one prototype, right?!! Lucky you!Smiley

--

I don't have a clue, I'll know more next week. 

--

S11_0017.jpg

That reminds me to this:

The fusion reactor Smiley

Lars, this is a flux capacitor, not a fusion reactor.  

images-1.jpeg

Pretty impressive power output. 

--

RC:

images-1.jpeg

--

Even if it is misspelled Smiley

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:
    RC:

images-1.jpeg

--

Mike, it was the only funny thing I found related to the flux capacitor.  Smiley

Just try to imagine that instead of Gigawatts, this really means Jigawatts, a new measuring value for an energy level yet unknown to mankind. Smiley

Or just take it as the joke it was intended to be. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    W8MM:
    RC:

images-1.jpeg

--

Mike, it was the only funny thing I found related to the flux capacitor.  Smiley

Just try to imagine that instead of Gigawatts, this really means Jigawatts, a new measuring value for an energy level yet unknown to mankind. Smiley

Or just take it as the joke it was intended to be. Smiley Smiley

RC, it's a quite funny joke.

If we move to the the Off Topic page, maybe we can attach it to a a famous thread with 41K+ views and respell it as "Jigglewatts".

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

Carrageous:
    RC:

Smiley There's still only the one prototype, right?!! Lucky you!Smiley

I'm afraid I promised too much, guys.

The RSR I was supposed to get to see, sit in, etc. , is held up at customs in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Don't have a clue what the car is doing there but it isn't here in time for the event I was supposed to attend. Very sad. Smiley

--

That's where HA resides!! Maybe he put a deposit and has it in a paintshop to make it guards red

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Haha.

Maybe ole' Hosni Mubarak has asked the Saudis keep it there for him, for his next KSA vacation/holiday car? Might make a great piece in the long line of electric powered golf buggies!

--

Background info on the Porsche Motorsport V8 engine in the 918 RSR...

Direct Fuel Injection Lowers Fuel Consumption and Increases Performance in 3.4-Liter V8 for 2008 Porsche RS Spyder in The American Le Mans Series...

ATLANTA – July 31 – Following in the footsteps of the Porsche 911, the sports prototype Porsche RS Spyder now profits from direct fuel injection technology (DFI). The new engine, with which Porsche underlines its role as technology leader in energy efficiency, cele-brated its race premiere with an LMP2 victory in the American Le Mans Series as Timo Bernhard (Germany) and Romain Dumas (France) took the class win at Mid-Ohio earlier this month.

The power output of the successful 2006 and 2007 championship winning Porsche, which has so far claimed victory from four of the six races run in this year’s ALMS, increased with the new en-gine from 476 to 503 hp (370 kW) at 10,000 revs per minute. Maximum torque rose from 370 Nm (273 ft. lbs.) at 7,500 revs to 385 Nm (284 ft. lbs.) at 8,500 revs.

The most compelling feature of the DFI version of the successful Porsche 3.4-litre V8 motor is its improved energy efficiency – an important element in endurance racing. Despite an improved power output, fuel consumption was significantly reduced. 

“After reaching a very high level with the previous engine we raced, we had to put considerable efforts into the development of the direct fuel injection unit in order to significantly improve per-formance and efficiency,” says Thomas Laudenbach, Head of Motorsport Development/Power Train. “In order to achieve revs of up to 11,000 with DFI technology it meant stepping into totally new territory.” 

During the design and development of the engine, synergies of product areas and motorsport de-partments were utilized to a large extent. 

“Right from the beginning there was a lively exchange,” reminisces Thomas Laudenbach. “We had already recognized the advantages of this technology at the start of the RS Spyder project and adapted them to the very special requirements of motorsport, always in close consultation with our colleagues in the standard development department. The methods and insights we obtained from our co-operation are of considerable value for future development projects involving DFI technology.”

Normally an increased engine output is in conjunction with a rise in fuel consumption. This is not the case here. 

“Thanks to the substantial increase of energy efficiency there’s no rise in the absolute fuel con-sumption despite the significant hike in performance. On the contrary – we’re even a bit lower,” said Laudenbach.

Another advantage of the new DFI engine: At partial load – for example during the many caution phases of long distance races - the engine can be run extremely lean. This further reduces fuel consumption and was not possible with the intake manifold fuel injection which was raced previ-ously. Moreover, new options open up for the controlling of highly dynamic processes like, for example, gear shifting at full throttle. Such options were not fully utilized before.

After the successful premiere in Mid-Ohio, the new DFI motor will power the two Penske Racing RS Spyder cars at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. With this, Porsche intends to strengthen its top position in the American Le Mans Series. 

“Competition in the LMP2 class is at an extremely high level and it gets tougher race by race,” says Hartmut Kristen, Head of Motorsport at Porsche. “Therefore now is exactly the right time to race the new engine.”

-- Porsche Motorsport Press Release --

Smiley SmileySmiley

***** Porsche RS Spyder: Motorsport V8 Engine *****

Porsche RS Spyder Engine.jpg

Source: Porsche Engineering

Smiley SmileySmiley

***** Porsche RS Spyder video by Chris Harris *****

Chris Harris drives the Porsche RS Spyder at Weissach...

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

I think it would be cool if Porsche ditched the plugin Hybrid aspect for the 918 road car, and just kept KERS. Too bad no manual will be available. I've heard rumors of PDK-S (for the 918, and optional on 911s). It's supposed to be a very high performance oriented version of PDK. Maybe it will include a cup car inspired sequential shifter? That would be cool.

Very nice article. Thank you.

I wasn't very pleased to hear the old Porsche -F1 connection being brought up again.

Carrara:

I think it would be cool if Porsche ditched the plugin Hybrid aspect for the 918 road car, and just kept KERS. Too bad no manual will be available. I've heard rumors of PDK-S (for the 918, and optional on 911s). It's supposed to be a very high performance oriented version of PDK. Maybe it will include a cup car inspired sequential shifter? That would be cool.

The KERS flywheel is no good for street cars because it doesn't store energy in a benign way. It has to be spun up to maybe 20,000 RPM to begin to do it's job. Racing applications require a period of spinning up from rest before one even leaves the pits. After joining the race track, the first few laps of braking hard are required to get the flywheel ready to usefully provide boost energy. When the racing session concludes, the flywheel has to be de-energized by electrical loads connected to it so it can be safely stored. The mechanical flywheel KERS gizmo is just not suited in many ways for street use. Batteries, on the other hand, are much more convenient for the end user. The one advantage of the flywheel energy storage method is that it has lower internal resistance than common battery solutions. This means that a higher peak power can be extracted from the storage medium. With advances in battery technology, the peak power will get better over time until batteries will be the preferred method on all fronts.
    --

Mike

OK-  maybe,  but certainly not in the immediate future. The KERS system is much lighter than the battery system. It also stores  (recharges)  and releases energy  much faster and than the battery system. It can handle the huge amount of breaking and acceleration cycles needed  in a race (especially endurance), which the battery system cant (due to storage constraints). For racing , the KERS is much, much better.

I think you will see the development of both systems for a substantial period of time, until one makes a breakthrough...or something better comes along.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806077 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449305 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266940 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90395 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7088 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886935 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835683 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM