Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2010 Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix

Oops!  Eunice...great minds and all that - I was writing mine when you posted yours..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Eunice:

I don't think Red Bull will look like idiots, in the case they finish 1/2 on sunday.

If Vettel wins, one can say they would have the title if not for the team order against Massa. If Vettel lets Webber pass, they are playing by the same book as Ferrari does. 

They are already playing by the same book as Ferrari and everybody else, or what do you call taking the front wing from Webber's car without his approval to install it on Vettel's for the race? is that equal opportunity?

So the reason they will look silly is because with all their self-righteous attitude on the press about team orders they have forced themselves into a situation now were if they let Webber pass Vettel they look like hipocrites, they can't play the same book as Ferrari now.

And if they don't let Webber pass they loose the championship, and saying that at least they didn't win with team orders is not a consolation because every title is won with team orders in F1 (Hamilton won his title a season in which his teamate Kovalainen was ordered to let Hamilton pass and went on to win the GP, RedBull has some team orders this year like the front wing incident, etc).

--

Don't worry if Alonso crashes.. there will be a safety car. If Alonso is behind, there will be a safety car. If Vettel lets Webber pass at any point in time during the entire race, the FIA will revoke either him or both RBR drivers depending on where Alonso finishes.. anything to get him the title...

I think RBR is doing a decent job and i think they will do the right thing this weekend which is more than can be said for McLaren and Ferrari. I look forward to a hard and clean race.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Wait!? you are saying that the FIA will try to favor ALONSO? have you missed out on the last years in F1? If there is one driver that is definately not on the current FIA's governig body's good side that is Alonso (mostly due because of his big mouth in the past against the FIA).

And especially so in every single desition involving him vs Hamilton he has had the short end of the stick, every single one. In this case since it involves the RedBull team, I think the FIA will remain neutral and hopefully will stay out of the race. Personally I think that Redbull should use team orders to help which ever of their drivers has the best changes as the race develops, and if they win then good for them and well deserved, and the FIA should stay out.

But I can't help the feeling that one of the three contenders will have a engine failure or something, and none of these elaborate and interesting posible ends to the championship will happen, and the simple DNF will decide the outcome to what could of been an exiting end to the season

--

FA is due a cock up, however, imo that will not happen..

My possible prediction is, FA to get pushed off the track, within 10 laps, it could get really dirty..

Agreed, Carlos, FIA should just let the teams get on with it, particularly that its the last race..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

I am an ardent Ferrari fan. Hence, the Drivers' Title is of secondary importance to me. May the best man win... after all, the season is lost for Ferrari, Red Bull Won. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

I am an ardent Ferrari fan.

I think we all knew that SmileySmiley

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Just stating the obvious Easy Rider. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

interesting qualifying results, VET, HAM, ALO, BUT, WEB

Webber won't win the title tomorrow from 5th on the grid IMO. He looks negative and already beaten.

Alonso is looking too quick to finish 5th so Vettel won't win the title either - even though he looks in a great position to win the race.

Hamilton is quick enough to win but Alonso will finish in the points so Hamilton won't win the title either.

IMO, barring any accidents or mechanical problems, tomorrow is Alonso's day.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Redbull car shows again that they are at another level at this track as well.

Surprising performance from the McLarens which will spice up the race tomorrow, hopefully Hamilton will not do something stupid in the first cornes and take out any of the title contenders, since Hamilton has nothing to loose and has had his share of collisions already this year.

But Webber looked like an already defeated man when he got off the car after qualifying, he didn't even stop to speak to the press as he passed by. I feel sorry for him, I doesn't seem like he is getting much support from his own  team.

Alonso managed to place the Ferrari on third, but also important is that he will start from the clean side of the track.

To me it looks like Vettel will have an easy drive tomorrow for first place, Hamilton may take second, and Alonso will saty out of Hamilton's way and stick to third while controlling Webber's position, since I don't think that Webber will beat Vettel or Hamilton from 5th. So Vettel will likely finish in front of Webber in points in the championship.

--

Alonso to win the title by 8 points - that's 1 point more than the 7 he was "given" in Germany...if I was a betting man..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Do not write off Webber just yet, funny to say but at P5 the pressure is now less than it was before Q3..Absolute anything can happen and Alonso will want to stay out of any ding dongs..Its the last race and all drivers will be going for it, even Button could be up there to spice things up..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Hamilton after the Q3:

I’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain. It’s the other drivers who’ll have to worry; I don’t have to be cautious at all in the race. Perhaps they need to think about that…

Is this kid for real??  he can crash against a wall if he wants, but he better not take out Vettel-Alonso-Webber by playing kamikaze just for fun since he has nothing to loose while the others have a Championship tittle on the line! 

--

Carlos from Spain:

Hamilton after the Q3:

I’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain. It’s the other drivers who’ll have to worry; I don’t have to be cautious at all in the race. Perhaps they need to think about that…

Is this kid for real??  he can crash against a wall if he wants, but he better not take out Vettel-Alonso-Webber by playing kamikaze just for fun since he has nothing to loose while the others have a Championship tittle on the line! 

My prediction for tomorrow's race:

Hamitlon will take out Vettel in the first curve. Thanks for that! Smiley

After this incident we will see a rather boring race, with Alonso leading...

for Carlos:
    ... until the end and taking his third championship.

for gangajas: ... until the second last round, when suddenly his engine blows up and Webber takes the title.

Either version, I will be pleased. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I hope he's just talking the big game. If i were McLaren team boss i'd go up to him after this statement to tell him that he will pay all damages himself lol.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Rossi:

My prediction for tomorrow's race:

Hamitlon will take out Vettel in the first curve. Thanks for that! Smiley

After this incident we will see a rather boring race, with Alonso leading...

for Carlos:
    ... until the end and taking his third championship.

for gangajas: ... until the second last round, when suddenly his engine blows up and Webber takes the title.

Smiley   prediction one please Smiley

--

More permutations:

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2010/11/11509.html

Deadlock: in theory, Alonso, Webber and Vettel could finish level on points at the top - a result of Vettel winning, Webber second and Alonso fifth in Abu Dhabi would give them 256 points apiece. Vettel and Alonso would have five wins each, two second places each and three third places each. Vettel would then be champion based on his three fourth places to Alonso’s two.

I bet that outcome would be the most infuriating for Carlos Smiley

Qualification lap times:

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/8499390.stm 

--

RT Moderator 

Seems like the stewards have not penalised Hamilton for impeding Massa in qualification. I assume they don't want to spoil the spectacle of the final race by applying the rules to knock out one of the 4 title contenders.

IMHO both Massa and Hamilton should be given grid position penalties.

But, although Massa was unhappy, Alonso wants Hamilton to remain in contention (to make it harder for the Red Bull drivers to win) so Ferrari may have told Massa to stop complaining - since that might put pressure on the stewards to intervene.

--

RT Moderator 

Here we go ...   

--

RT Moderator 

Why did the 2 Ferrari drivers make such early pit stops? It seems to have cost Alonso the title  

--

RT Moderator 

What a race, what a season! Tactical mistake by Ferrari! Great for Vettel. 

easy_rider911:

Why did the 2 Ferrari drivers make such early pit stops? It seems to have cost Alonso the title  

Webber was told to make an unusually early pit stop (ruining his chances for passing Alonso) and Ferrari decided to defend their position against Webber by having Alonso match his pit stop (given the position's at that time, Webber was his first rival), unfortunately that caused him the race because there is no way he could pass Petrov's Renault with its much higher top speed as you can only pass in this track by top speed on the straight, and Petrov fought his heart out for an 8th place. Not even Hamilton with his higher top speed than Ferrari was able to pass Kubica's Renault.

Well played by RedBull, Ferrari bit the bait and gave Vettel the chance to win, though you kind of have the feeling they used Webber as an expendable peon in the chess game in favour of Vettel. Its going to be tough night for him with everybody in his team will be celebrating around him. And Ferrari lost the season with their tactical desition today, though its very easy to talk with hindsight.

Oh well, Alonso did his best and gave the Redbull a run for their money, but the advantage of the Redbull cars were too much. Alonso was the only driver to be able to overperform his car and actually challenge the RedBulls this season. Better luck next year. If it weren't Alonso I would of liked Webber to win it but oh well.

--

Well done Vettel !!!! He made a few immature mistakes during the season but at the end he is got back what he lost and deserves his title . 

Webber had to stop... his tyres seemed to have too much graining , there was a black line on them.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Webber had to stop... his tyres seemed to have too much graining , there was a black line on them.

But so did Vettel's at a point in time during the race and they didn't tell hij to pit, after a few laps it went away, because as soon as you wear them out a bit more, graining may dissapear.Also Webber was not loosing significant time agains Alonso at that time so there was no real reason to stop, but the pit inmediately after Webber's radio comment on graining told Webber "Pit, Pit, Pit"...

--

Well done Vettel - dominant all weekend - drove from pole to chequered flag like a World Champion.

Webber was mostly invisible today. An already beaten man psychologically.

Alonso pitted early to cover Webber but the real danger was posed by other drivers so it was a costly strategic decision.

Both McLaren drivers were extremely professional today.

Kubica did a superb job - absorbing all the pressure from Hamilton. Petrov drove superbly - didn't crumble under the relentless pressure from Alonso.

I hardly saw Rosberg on TV but he obviously just drove a great race.

--

RT Moderator 

I knew that Red Bull had two geniouses in the team, Vettel and Newey.

What I found out today is that RBR also have a tactical genious in Horner who sold Ferrari a dummy with the pit stop and threw their race out of rails. Ferrari need to find the right people for the Scuderia to replace personalities like Todt, Brawn and Schumacher.

Webber lost his chances in qualifying yesterday when he cracked under pressure and was fifth and demoted himself to a support role. Alonso was a bad loser. He was gesturing at Petrov who was racing for himself (and Renault perhaps) and never went near SV to shake his hand.

In all I am happy with this year's result. Makes up for the MS disappointment.

I'm also glad Ferrari manipulation of results and Machiavellian tactics haven't paid off.

--

"Form follows function"

Congratulations Sebastian!

A well deserved championship won in a sportive manner at least

Well Done SV, a superb drive.  No-one can doubt his ability but the team needs to work on his personality. ;)  Again, impressive season SV.

What was amusing was FA having a pop at Vitaly Petrov at the end of the race.  Good to see FA hasn't changed and the world doesn't revolve round him.

All in all a great season and I'm sure it has attracted back a huge number of followers.  Just eager to see next season start now and with MW in the RBR team next year, can he do it next time?  Not sure but it'll be great to watch I'm sure.  

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803467 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448625 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266203 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90104 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6652 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885850 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833467 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM