Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C supercar: official press release...

0-200km/h under 10s is the official claim.

Rumored is under 9,5s. (mentioned in EVO)

mv:

0-200km/h under 10s is the official claim.

Rumored is under 9,5s. (mentioned in EVO)

Smiley

J.Seven

WOW, talk about changing one's mind. This car really is growing on me. It is stylish yet understated. It is not an in your face car but has in your face performance. The price tag is not that bad because in US $ it will be below $200,000. I would take this over the SLS.

Nevertheless, my main concern would be service. Since this car is the very first model one can expect service issues and readily available servicing is a must. The last thing I would want is to have the car sit for months because of lack of parts or equipment.

--

nberry:

WOW, talk about changing one's mind. This car really is growing on me. It is stylish yet understated. It is not an in your face car but has in your face performance. The price tag is not that bad because in US $ it will be below $200,000. I would take this over the SLS.

Nevertheless, my main concern would be service. Since this car is the very first model one can expect service issues and readily available servicing is a must. The last thing I would want is to have the car sit for months because of lack of parts or equipment.

--

Exactly my thoughts ! In the US, McLaren definitely needs some sort of travel mechanics who come to your house with a truck and take care of the car. Can't see another solution (maybe them picking it up at your house, bringing you a loaner and bringing the car back to you after repairs ?). Only three dealers are selling McLaren in Germany as far as I heard...not really satisfactory if I'd have to drive 300-400 km to the next dealer. Wait...if the car is broken... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

My son already loves it...

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

So do I... ;)

IMAG0124.jpgIMAG0117.jpg

But how many people will hit the window when stepping in or out???... This guy (not me) clearly has to be careful when stepping in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEm12eRSlVA

(sorry for the bad pics...)

--
    996 Turbo, 300'000+ km Clio Cup III

pierre:

IMAG0121.jpg

You must be so proud Smiley a rennteamer in the making.

I like the doors.

What this car needs is remote analysis of problems. If I get a CEL, they better be able to find out why before I drive it 200 miles. 

pierre:

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

So do I... ;)

IMAG0124.jpgIMAG0117.jpg

But how many people will hit the window when stepping in or out???... This guy (not me) clearly has to be careful when stepping in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEm12eRSlVA

(sorry for the bad pics...)

Nice to see you back , Pierre, and in what a surprising and great way Smiley Can you tell us more about the car ? Price in CH ? Are you ordering ? Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

i dont really think you can compare this car to the sls as the latter is really a tourer and the mclaren is aiming at performance/track.

apples to oranges imo.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Gordon Murray T25 City Car Makes Public Debut...

gordon-murray-t25-city-car-makes-public-debut-today-21801_1.jpg

(28 June 2010)

Finally, the T25 City Car will be making its official public debut today, as Gordon Murray Design will bring it to the Smith School’s World Forum on Enterprise and the Environment in Oxford today. The car aims to become the solution for today’s urban mobility problems, and represents the development and validation of a new manufacturing technology trademarked iStream.

This process in fact significantly reduces the investment and energy required to produce a vehicle. The car is therefore extremely lightweight, it has an ultra safe structure, a flexible product design, long life chassis, low cost accident repair, it has a small footprint and recycled materials, among others.

“Our transport sector is hugely dependent on fossil fuels and we need to de-fossilise our economy as quickly as possible. We know most of the technologies already exist in delivering low carbon transportation and the T25 and iStream manufacturing processes are clear examples of how the transition can bring new and exciting developments,” said David King, Founding Director of the Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment.

gordon-murray-t25-city-car-makes-public-debut-today-21801_2.jpg

The iStream assembly process means that the manufacturing plant can be designed to be 20% of the size of a conventional factory. This reduces capital investment in the assembly plant by at least 80%. Moreover, the same factory could be used to manufacture different variants.

“After a complete and comprehensive comparison of the process details and seeing the vehicle prototype build, our conclusion is affirmative that the innovative vehicle and process design of this project is outstanding.  From our analysis the iStream process can be positively qualified as the most promising manufacturing process development in the car industry of the next decade,” Holger Erker, Managing Director of IPE Engineering said in a release.

gordon-murray-t25-city-car-makes-public-debut-today-21801_3.jpg

Gordon-Murray_T25-Debut

Gordon-Murray-Design_T25-Background

Smiley SmileySmiley

Have Mclaren said how the doors open in the event of a roll over where the car remains on it's roof? I know the SLS uses explosive bolts to allow the doors to be pushed out in this scenario.

I have to say I much prefer conventional doors. They may lack the novelty factory but a car is for driving so once the doors are closed who really cares if they swing out and up like the MP4 or scissor upwards like a Murci?

Getting out of Gordon Murray's T25 in the middle of a rain downpour is also going to be somewhat interesting, especially if there are passengers who need to get out as well. Hope that interior is fully waterproof

ISUK:

Getting out of Gordon Murray's T25 in the middle of a rain downpour is also going to be somewhat interesting, especially if there are passengers who need to get out as well. Hope that interior is fully waterproof

That hatch does seem to driven more by a desire to create an eyecatching gimmick than by benefits in terms production or in use of the car. Smiley

--

fritz

ISUK:

I have to say I much prefer conventional doors. They may lack the novelty factory but a car is for driving so once the doors are closed who really cares if they swing out and up like the MP4 or scissor upwards like a Murci?

I agree on the preference to conventional doors, however in MP4-12C's case the entire door all the way right behind the front wheel arch opens up, unlike the conventional scissor/upward door designs, where the doors are  cut out of the body lines.  I think the MP-12C is a superior design and just absolutely gorgeous.  

In addition, looking at the size of that door inserts with such a thick carbon tub to go over, the conventional door might be harder to get in and out in MP4-12C's case.

Rossi:
    GT:
    Guys 16kgs in the wheels is massive difference in the feel of the car. this is what I saved with the dymags and the car felt like a different car.. On that basis alone it might be worth it. I am a bit confused by the ceramic brakes though. The idea of going back to steel brakes is not very attractive to me. Is it 4kgs more in total for all 4 corners?

I was asking myself this question (if it's 4 kgs altogether or per wheel), but unfortunately I have no answer. I will investigate.

16 kilos surely is a lot, so superlightweight seems the way to go, let's wait how much McLaren will charge you for them... Smiley

I got this info: carbon ceramic brakes add 8 kgs to the car in total.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

The SLS convertible will have conventional doors. 

--

nberry:

The SLS convertible will have conventional doors. 

Then again SLS does not have the carbon fiber tub.  Smiley

Rossi:

If that's 8kgs unsprung, it is significant.

Jean:
    Rossi:

If that's 8kgs unsprung, it is significant.

It is unsprung. So by ordering the superlightweight wheels and NOT ordering the carbon ceramic brakes you can save 24 kgs unsprung weight in total. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

FWIW, I was told 3kg.

The 458 has the same issue Stefan with the optional sport wheels being considerably lighter than the standard rims.

Isn't ceramics supposed to be lighter than steel? Since when have they started becoming heavier?

Mike, on MP4-12C standard brakes are way lighter then optional and bigger ceramics. Ceramics require additional cooling ducts which also brings additional weight.

BTW, McLaren testes standard brakes in all possible conditions and they claim that for 95% of buyers they are the better choice.

McLaren's "steel brakes" aren't made of steel. It's a mix of aluminium and something. I got the marketing blahblah last Saturday, but don't remember the details. ;-)  The McLaren guy told me that unless you're every second week at the Ring, the carbon brakes make little sense, especially since the 'normal' ones are lighter.

Ahhhh, that's interesting. Does anybody know when they will announce the official importers etc. of McLaren for their specific region? I know we getting one, but it has not stipulated exactly who. I know of two parties locally that are playing tug-o-war for the franchise rights.

Hey Pierre, good to see you back!

And also heartwarming to see your son already old enough to enjoy beautiful cars!
    Those laps around the 'ring with your spouse must have rubbed off! ;-)

I'm guessing you never bit the bullet on the StreetDream / Caparo?

Long sotry short; good to see you back!
    -Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

pierre:

Dammit'...Pierre...you have a kid and never mentioned his birth ? Smiley  Smiley

Shame on you. Smiley

Congratulations (kind of late I guess), he is a cutie. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

nberry:

--

SLS all the way Smiley

I thought the US price tag would be $250,000+

^^ Back when we were posting pics from the configurator i posted one that looked almost identical to that one. Down to the stealth package, anthracite wheels and CF door mirrors. Someone out there has great taste for his MP4 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802671 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448389 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265932 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89934 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6411 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885362 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832213 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM