Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2010 Chinese F1 Grand Prix in Shanghai

easy_rider911:

Exactly - why favour Hamilton? Smiley He is 'damaged goods' ever since 'lie-gate'.

If the FIA or Bernie Ecclestone want young heroes to attract publicity and to act as ambassadors to help promote the future of F1, they need look no further: there is an abundance of sparkling talent in Rosberg, Vettel and Button. They are exciting to watch on track plus they are excellent role models.

F1 doesn't need Hamilton as much as Hamilton needs F1 Smiley

im sorry but +1

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I just liked that Vettel held his Ground there in the lane, you gotta be aggressive with drivers like Hamilton, he is going a little over the line sometimes, shows poor character and makes questionable comments. It will be a long road for him to prove he deserved that first title IMO.

Button on the other hand is showing great self control and cool. Almost reminiscent of Schumi back in his days. Very comfortable with being the champion. I like how Button has been handling his position at McLaren so far! 

All in all it was a great and exciting race, Hamilton and Alonso did a good job. As did Button of course, but i was a little disappointed by Vettel. And Schumi got served, this is not looking good now. I am confident he will find his magic though.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

easy_rider911:

Exactly - why favour Hamilton? Smiley He is 'damaged goods' ever since 'lie-gate'.

If the FIA or Bernie Ecclestone want young heroes to attract publicity and to act as ambassadors to help promote the future of F1, they need look no further: there is an abundance of sparkling talent in Rosberg, Vettel and Button. They are exciting to watch on track plus they are excellent role models.

F1 doesn't need Hamilton as much as Hamilton needs F1 Smiley

I don't think Hamilton and Bernie are distant , after reading this joint interview.

Bernie wouldn't accept to be interviewed with Lewis "damaged goods" Hamilton if that was the case.

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2010/3/10557.html

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Hamilton is certainly not favored, he is just pushing some (the wrong) buttons

--

The video from Hamilton vs Vettel in the pits. If I were Vettel, I'ld truly be pissed off. I think, there should be consequences for Hamilton, at least for the dangerous pit entry.

What exactly did Vettel do wrong here? I think he has every reason to be mad about being called out on it. To Hamilton i know he's frustrated and whatnot getting owned by Button, but please beat peope on the track. This was unnecessary and stupid. McLaren isn't wrong, they left so close to each other, but it was so in the first place cause Hamilton pulled the stunt when they entered. Which is fine by itself, but wehn you pull out and Vettel is ahead, clearly you return the favor and back off... Vettel did so in the entrance.

Thanks for posting the clip for better analysis.

--

While  the pit entry is legal, Hamilton was paralell and had the inside line, he is not obligated to lift and let Vettel by around the outside, and there is no rules against that in the entry. The exit however is a completely dirty move by Hamilton and fortunately Vettel did not allow himself to be bullied by Hamilton's tactics.

Its clear Vettel was already occupying the exit lane when Hamilton was leaving the slow lane, thats why Hamilton could not get into the exit lane, all Vettel did was not to allow Hamilton to push him to the exterior and drove on the edge of the lane so as to not allow Hamilton to enter it, since Hamilton did not have the right of way, rules say the driver incorporating into the exit lane needs to yield to the cars that are already on it, and Hamilton knowingly did not do that, tried to push Vettel out, while geopardising the safety of the pit crews. Vettel did nothing wrong, and Hamilton only gets a reprimend thats a great message from the FIA about sportiveness...

--

BTW, what do you think of drivers purposely taking unexplored routes for entering the pits?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSV8a36rSiA

Here you can see clearly how Hamilton is not even in parallel with Vettel and he still keeps going through the pits area trying to force Vettel out... unbelievable this guy and FIA's decision....

--

Racing in the pit lane, SC strategy, wet then dry, cool driving and overtaking - and all this debate - F1 is good again!

D

Carlos from Spain:

Here you can see clearly how Hamilton is not even in parallel with Vettel and he still keeps going through the pits area trying to force Vettel out... unbelievable this guy and FIA's decision....

+1 thanks for the video, that's a great angle. Hamilton was wrong at the exit. The entry was fair game. How did Vettel get punished? BS FIA  Smiley

--

Atzporsche:
    Carlos from Spain:

+1 thanks for the video, that's a great angle. Hamilton was wrong at the exit. The entry was fair game. How did Vettel get punished? BS FIA  Smiley

I have no clue how Vettel could get repramanded for anything, the video is cristal clear. And the perpetrator who comes off a previous GP getting only reprimanded for weaving (and has a history of many more antics), now gets only reprimanded again, it looks that there is nothing he can do wrong. I agree, complete BS.

--

They both finish their pit, they both hit their pit speed button, so they are both traveling at the same speed, I wouldn't call it racing down the pit lane, but Vettel was seen clearly turning right to try and intimidate Hamilton to back off. Once the hit the pit exit, limiter goes off and Vettel pull ahead, Hamilton tucked in.

Except you can't drive down pit lane, even if at max pit speed, (1) through the innner lane were the mechanics are, (2)without the fast lane free to go to in case you need to swerve for an obstacle (3) for no reason whatsoever except to bully another driver into giving you his position in the fast lane when he has the right of way and is ahead of you. Vettel does not need to leave space for another car to grab his place in the fast lane, as a matter of fact its his right to defend that position.

Until Charlie Whiting leaves the F1, the stench of the past era will still smell in the pits....

--

I understand some of the arguments contra Hamilton but you cannot deny he provides 50% of the entertainment in a F1 race, I praise his driving, motorsports should be a spectacle, it doesn't need to be stripped from every form of danger or battle. I'm glad there are drivers with such fighting spirit. If indeed someone seriously crosses the line there should follow sanctions, but as long as it's a consequence of racing and fighting spirits, let it happen and embrace it...

I loved the China GP, I hope there are many more to come just like that!

Porker:

I understand some of the arguments contra Hamilton but you cannot deny he provides 50% of the entertainment in a F1 race, I praise his driving, motorsports should be a spectacle, it doesn't need to be stripped from every form of danger or battle. I'm glad there are drivers with such fighting spirit. If indeed someone seriously crosses the line there should follow sanctions, but as long as it's a consequence of racing and fighting spirits, let it happen and embrace it...

I loved the China GP, I hope there are many more to come just like that!

I agree with you there, the problem is that everyone should play by the same rules then. Would you say that if Vettel were the one in the inside lane of pitboxes intead of Hamilton, he would of scaped with just a verbal reprimand from Whiting? and if Hamilton can weave down the straight, then everyone should be able to do it too.

--

IMO Hamilton is pampered by FIA because he represents something that many potential  F1 fans, or rather TV viewers can identify with. The first black in F1 and a successful one for that.

In recent years the Bernie Ecclestone version of F1 attaches great importance to driver image and profile as much as, or even more than driving skills. In this context Kimi and Alonso were not as marketable champions as Hamilton. Also Kubica has an image problem as opposed to Vettel and Rosberg.

F1 is a lifestyle circus as much as a motor racing championship.

And here Lewis "praises the race stewards", in his new capacity as "Honourary FIA Steward Inspector"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83074

--

Thats a good point Reginos, especially with Ecclestone's intent in recent years in the expansion of the F1 to new circuits (unfunately against traditional ones - and IMO sacred GPs' - like Spa and SIlverstone) in countries with little F1 tradition but which may represent big potential markets for F1 and its revenew machine.

reginos:

And here Lewis "praises the race stewards", in his new capacity as "Honourary FIA Steward Inspector"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83074

Indeed, I'll scratch your back if you scratch mineSmiley but they should speak to the rest of the drivers and see what they say, especially the RedBull team Smiley

--

I wonder if Hamilton would of gotten away with this move by Alesi?

He would probably claim his throttle got stuck and only get a reprimand

--

Carlos from Spain:

Hamilton would just repeat these wise words....Smiley

"Us drivers are now not afraid to have a real battle with someone, without the worry of risking a penalty and I think that's fantastic.

"The stewards are doing a fantastic job and I think that's what's also contributing to such great racing so far"

--

Interesting article on the official F1 website

www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/4/10689.html

"Hamilton laments playing hare to Button's tortoise" reads the deadline. Very apt IMO 

Button vs Hamilton is a head vs heart battle rather like Prost vs Senna. Prost was statistically more successful while Senna won more fans. Will we see history repeat itself?

I have studiously maintained a neutral position vis-a-vis the current F1 drivers and this is genuine - I enjoy all good performance by all drivers

But if I were asked to choose whom to support between the 2 McLaren drivers, I much prefer Button. I like his style much more - calmer and smarter tactically than Hamilton who is more flashy and impulsive IMO.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

reginos:

"Us drivers are now not afraid to have a real battle with someone, without the worry of risking a penalty and I think that's fantastic.

"The stewards are doing a fantastic job and I think that's what's also contributing to such great racing so far"

Smiley

Here is Brundle's take on it BTW

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110042025778/brundle-says-vettel-hamilton-button-deserved-penalties

Martin Brundle has revealed that he would push for harsher decisions and penalties if he was a formula one steward.

So far in 2010, to give additional credibility to the officials' adjudications, experienced former drivers including Alain Prost, Johnny Herbert and Alex Wurz have acted as stewards at grands prix.

But although Brundle argues that the "brutal and sometimes unfathomable penalties" of the recent past have now been eradicated, he thinks the stewards are now being too lenient.

The former McLaren driver, a full-time commentator for British television since retiring in 1996, wrote in his BBC column that Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton should have been penalised for their pitlane stoush in China.

"They both received a reprimand, but what does that mean? How long does a reprimand last and how many are you allowed to collect before a real penalty?" said Brundle.

"They are lucky I wasn't the resident driver steward for the weekend because I would have strongly recommended dropping them both some penalty places on the grid for the next race in Barcelona.

"The decision taken has set a very dangerous precedent," he charged.

Brundle also said race winner Jenson Button deserved a penalty for unduly slowing behind the safety car prior to a race restart.

"I wouldn't have been a popular steward with my former McLaren team but that job is not a popularity contest. Ask any referee," said the Briton.

--

BTW there are rumors that the FOTA will appeal this weekeng to the FIA the no-penalty verdict of Hamilton on what he did in China.

http://hoyinternacional.com/deportes/8082-FOTA-recurrir-sancin-Lewis-Hamilton.html

--

reginos:
    Carlos from Spain:

Smiley  SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802980 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448480 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266013 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90006 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6493 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832874 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM