Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

First observation of PDK limit and first US tune for 997.2 PDK Turbo

Worthy News from the US:

Champion is a long running and well respected Porsche vendor in the US -- this is the same company that creates the popular line of  "Champion" wheels.  The person posting the thread I am about to quote, Louis Milone, is their technical director and has been involved with the US Audi racing program for many years. The LMP1 mentioned in his signature is of course the Audi R10 Turbo Diesel Prototype . His expertise is at true professional racing level and often way way above my head, for very obvious reason of course, me being the amateur.
    Champion has been late, very late, to the market with 997.1, but is now first to release 997.2 ECU program. All indicatiions, IMHO, is that this is going to be one of the very top tuning programs from the US.

If you have question, post there please, not here.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/205596-champion-motorsport-release-2010-997-2-twin-turbo-power-kit-data.html
    What we found is that at 575 ft-lb of torque, as well as right at 590 whp the PDK clutches just let go. We are already working on an upgrade to the PDK clutch pack, but I have no more to report on with that yet.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Re: First observation of PDK limit and first US tune for 997.2 PDK Turbo

Quote of the rest of the first post:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/205596-champion-motorsport-release-2010-997-2-twin-turbo-power-kit-data.html
    Champion Motorsport Release 2010 997.2 Twin Turbo Power Kit. With Data

Greetings,

We have worked many long nights on this one, and we have quite a product to offer.

Since taking delivery of our 2010 997.2 PDK Twin Turbo we have been quietly developing it, and exploring its limits. We are pleased to announce that Step 1 and Step 2 of our power kit are ready for the mainstream.

This is what the power kit covers:

- Champion Motorsport Billet Compressor turbochargers with 68mm 7 blade wheels
    - CMS (new for 2010) intercooler upgrade kit including silicon hoses and hardware
    - Werks 1 Carbon Y-pipe for 2010 cars
    - CMS compressor inlet adapters (increase flow)
    - Werks 1 carbon air box for 2010 cars
    - CMS exhaust manifolds, 3 into 1 equal length headers
    - Tubi Race exhaust system
    - GIAC high performance software proprietary to CMS

We spent 3 days on the dyno perfecting the Direct Injection system with our technical partners from GIAC, and the results are quite impressive.

There is much more to this kit than simply the final hardware and the finished ECU tune.

Nearly a year was spent developing this turbocharger waiting for our 997.2 to arrive. Immediately the units were fitted and instrumentation was added to the car to determine critical data such as: compressor inlet
    depression, Pre and post Turbine pressures, and a myriad of other vital pieces of data. Realizing the strengths and weaknesses of this new car, inlet pipes have been re-engineered with simple to install adapters for
    correcting the pressure drop at the compressor inlet, manifolds were designed and built (several revisions to perfect the design) to maximize boost response with these large compressors, etc...

What we have accomplished is a 997.2 that brings in Peak power and torque instantly. We have also done this without taxing any of the OEM protections within the standard control unit. We are running safe VTG vane
    frequencies, Exhaust gas temperatures at or below 860C which is a full 100C before corrections begin, Charge temperatures at or below 34C both on the dyno and on high load road testing, and knock activity is
    insignificant. We are able to achieve this as a result of our turbocharger and intercooler efficiency. Another interesting point is that all of our testing is conducted on 93octane pump fuel. The good news is that we
    reached a mechanical limit of the car before we reached the limits of our power kit, so there is simply no need for a "race mode" yet !!!

On to that Mechanical limit... We very clearly found the limits of the PDK clutch system. We specifically used a PDK example for our test car, as all of the next generation of Turbo-S 997.2's will be PDK, and we figured we
    had better start a program now. What we found is that at 575 ft-lb of torque, as well as right at 590 whp the PDK clutches just let go. We are already working on an upgrade to the PDK clutch pack, but I have no more
    to report on with that yet.

As you can see from the Graph that I posted, we made some very sizable gains in performance. Our baseline numbers on our 500 mile break in car came in at 431 peak WHP, and 425 ft-bs of torque. We are confused how
    our numbers are so dramatically lower than other tuners have posted, as we all seem to be using Mustang 4 Wheel Chassis Dyno's, but we feel that these numbers are correct and inline with what Porsche publishes of the
    standard car in regard to crankshaft measured power output. Basically, we do not feel that the car is over-rated from the manufacturer; it is just that great of a car..

In reference to the graph, what we plan to offer is a Step 1 Kit for PDK owners which will output 542 whp and 527 ft-lbs torque, and for Manual transmission car owners we will offer a Step 2 Kit producing 598 whp, and
    579 ft-lbs of torque (clutch upgrade required and available). This is well into the 700hp range on pump fuel, without modifications to engine internals.

Our kits are always conservative, as this is our business plan. We believe that this kit will out perform our own posted numbers on most dyno's in this country and we will promote our customers to test their cars. I can
    tell you from first hand experience that a 997.2 PDK with 540+ ( I have driven it at the full 598 carefully) WHP is an exhilarating ride. The traction control struggles to keep up, and all this in a car that will run a standing
    1/4 mile in 11.0 seconds stock !!

We have a date scheduled for track testing, both on the drag strip in controlled conditions, and on the road course. We will have a v-box fitted for collecting real publishable data, and when we have collected it we will
    post it for all to see. There will be journalists present to test the car with the highest international credentials, so you can be sure the results will be true.

Below are some photos of some of the products during development, production parts will vary slightly physically (ie hand built manifolds) to control costs. There will be more to come, and we will keep this thread updated
    with further developments. The basic kits are ready for sale, and we are taking orders now. In house installs can be scheduled immediately.
    Questions or comments, please contact me directly.

Click image for larger version
Name:	CMS_2010 PDK 997.2_power kit.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	119247  
    • 2004 World Challenge GT Manufacturer Champion - Audi RS6 Comp.
    • 2005 ALMS Champions - LMP1 Audi R-8
    • 2005 24 Heures of Lemans Overall LMP1 - Audi R-8
    • 2006 ALMS Champions - LMP1 Audi R-10
    • 2007 ALMS Champions - LMP1 Audi R-10
    • 2008 ALMS Champions - LMP1 Audi R-10

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

cannga,

575 lb/ft is 780 Nm - we knew about this limit

they just confirmed it...

did I got right that they do NOT offer Stage 2 for PDK TT until clutch upgrade is done?

"This is well into the 700hp range on pump fuel, without modifications to engine internals.

Our kits are always conservative, as this is our business plan" Smiley

This one's for you Artur - 700hp Smiley

--

2009 997 GT2 659PS/827NM DIN

Can, not sure if I am still on "ignore" list with you ?Smiley

I am having trouble with the credibility of what Louis is presenting here. Did you see his video about the new intercoolers ? 5 minutes of theory and production methods and 20 seconds stating that on a 27degC day the IATs went up only 8degC. When I challenged him on 6bling (before I was banned for upsetting an over testosteroned moderator Smiley) he produced a chart which showed some IAT data but excluded THE most important numbers ie the speed at which the IAT numbers were achieved. Without the speed we can't tell what gear and what loading the engine is under. In second and third gear IAT can hardly move so for all I know those were the gears used....

The above just reeks of amateurism IMO. Sure the guy has credentials but exactly what did he do in those race teams ? Being a mechanic is not the same as designing engines moreover it is not just the design of the engines but the testing and surely no credible engine designer will sign off his engine using a Dynojet chassis dyno ?

To more detail. He states in the stuff above:

"gas temperatures at or below 860C "

TBH this again eats away at his credibility...... I am sure he has only seen VTG temps of 860C but to claim that is the maximum looks wrong. When you load these engines they go up to about 890 to 900C but that is at full load, I know this because I have logged at 300kph under load..... If he is right and is only seeing 860C under full load AND the engine is really putting out 700hp then he really should be working for NASA or CERN......Smiley

--

I just rattled off the graph below from the Durametric data. This is my car so Schmirler tuned (ie conservative like factory)

You can see 860DegC is reached by about 225kph or 140mph. The increased loading after this makes the VTG/EGT rise sharply and the programming limits the temp to 900DegC.....

I would guess that Champion have not loaded enough during their tests - this maybe OK for their market, ie cars which don't venture above 140mph but it is what it is.........

--

Do you have data to prove EGTs are the same for a stock TT versus a stock GT2?

How about EGTs for a tuned TT versus a tuned GT2?

While you can criticize CMS for not demonstrating to what extent full load was placed on the engine during testing (they may simply not have shared that with you) it is not fair to compare the data between your car and CMS's car because the tunes are NOT the same.|

bob

Bob,

I know the tunes are not the same - they are claiming 700hp  AND only 860DegC

BTW, I can't edit my post above for some reason - but I am incorrect about the data Louis published for me (I couldn't read the small writing) it does actually state which gears were used for the intercooler testing and to be fair the numbers do look pretty good............

--

I have had my magnifying glass out and it looks like Louis did indeed get his claim of 860DegC wrong.

This is his data below, posted for me on 6Bling - you can see by 6500rpm in 5th (right at the bottom) the EGT is 901DegC - this is more like it... for reference mine runs at 880DegC at approx this load.

--

In that thread, CMS stated re that particular chart "Attached is a clip of data collected from our 997.1 Werks1 car just 1 week ago."  I'd have to know exactly what that car was tuned to do before I can comment.

Even though the EGT sensor is installed on the turbo inlet, do you believe that the type of turbo effects the overall EGT reading?  What about the exhaust, cat cell count versus catless?  These should all play a factor in the overall EGT.  We just don't know enough about the parameters during data collection to make safe assumptions.  Ultimately, the two numbers that would help the most are total flow at set PSI, and thermal efficiency.  CMS promised to present data on the latter.

The back pressure will of course play a big role in determining the VTG temp...... You are right, I am assuming the EGT sensor is displaying the correct temp of the VTGs..... in Durametric it is labelled "Exhaust temperature downstream modelled" 

I know that this temperature is accurately controlled by the programming on my car to a 900DegC limit as I have done a lot of logging and one can see the active control.......

When i ran other software this same reading went up to 980DegC ! (with 200 cell vs 100 cell cats)

860DegC on a VTG with 700hp is low low  

Can I ask what is "total flow at set PSI" and how we measure that ? are you meaning air flow in kg/hr ?

How is "thermal efficiency" measured ?

--

artur777:

cannga,

575 lb/ft is 780 Nm - we knew about this limit

they just confirmed it...

did I got right that they do NOT offer Stage 2 for PDK TT until clutch upgrade is done?

That's right, we did talk about 790 Nm (?), didn't we? Thanks for the reminder and I am actually **surprised**  that leaked info and actual experience are matching.
    What I didn't know, and good news for PDK, is that it seems from what Louis is posting, the PDK clutch disc pack could be modified to take more horsepower and torque. From Nissan GTR's "owners' experience," I thought the thing would just blow up when stressed. Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can

Absolutely - 790 Nm we discussed

I am also pleasured that it is possible to upgrade the clutch

Just curious, where did you get that 790 number from that seems so spot on? Internal factory leak?

--

Regards,
    Can

TB993tt:

The back pressure will of course play a big role in determining the VTG temp...... You are right, I am assuming the EGT sensor is displaying the correct temp of the VTGs..... in Durametric it is labelled "Exhaust temperature downstream modelled" 

I know that this temperature is accurately controlled by the programming on my car to a 900DegC limit as I have done a lot of logging and one can see the active control.......

When i ran other software this same reading went up to 980DegC ! (with 200 cell vs 100 cell cats)

860DegC on a VTG with 700hp is low low  

Can I ask what is "total flow at set PSI" and how we measure that ? are you meaning air flow in kg/hr ?

How is "thermal efficiency" measured ?

Thermal efficiency...you know...Inlet/Outlet temperature difference across the IC as a ratio compared to overall maximum temperature drop (difference between inlet and ambient temperature.)  This should isolate the intercooler from the variables of testing...turbos, exhaust, cats, tune, etc.

Total flow at set PSI...what I was trying to describe was pressure efficiency (I did so poorly)...pressure drop across the IC as independent variables.

Something tells me you are about to trump me on my knowledge of science, lol

I must tell you; and I'm not trying to promote it, but I was one of the first passsengers to get a ride in the Werks 1, all new 3.8 DFI Turbo, program prototoype.............  not even launched ,but a rolling start. I've driven lots of of quick cars, I'll tell you....... my stomach got queasy, I even felt chest compression.........this Champion Turbo is an absolute Rocket ! I can't really describe how fast, and how much G loading this Turbo exerts on it's passengers........ It is unreal. Much faster than stock, and Stock is sick quick. Just thought you should know. I think we got it right...... Yes, I'm lucky; I do work here.

Revvv          

factory leak - absolutely

780 nm is the limit of GTR tranny

790 nm is the limit of PDK TT

artur777:

factory leak - absolutely

780 nm is the limit of GTR tranny

790 nm is the limit of PDK TT

Artur, thanks. I love it when the leaked news is spot on.

What's really interesting to me is this: Back when the GTR first came out, we saw some pictures of a GTR's gear box, from Russia in fact, that showed crushed gears. Here with the Porsche, the tuner merely mentions clutch discs slipping.

So what's the difference? Any expert here could venture a guess? If the GTR clutch discs had slipped, would the gears have been protected and not destroyed?
    Conversely, if you replace the clutch discs in the Porsche with higher capacity ones, would other components be damaged?

--

Regards,
    Can

cannga,

I think it depends on the power applied

if the power is 800-850 nm then we see clutch slipping

if the power is 1000 nm we see clutch destruction 

cannga:

Worthy News from the US:

Champion is a long running and well respected Porsche vendor in the US -- this is the same company that creates the popular line of  "Champion" wheels.  The person posting the thread I am about to quote, Louis Milone, is their technical director and has been involved with the US Audi racing program for many years. The LMP1 mentioned in his signature is of course the Audi R10 Turbo Diesel Prototype here . His expertise is at true professional racing level and often way way above my head, for very obvious reason of course, me being the amateur.
    Champion has been late, very late, to the market with 997.1, but is now first to release 997.2 ECU program. All indicatiions, IMHO, is that this is going to be one of the very top tuning programs from the US.

BTW, I misspoke a little bit regarding the late part above. Champion is late only with the hardware, such as intercooler and larger turbo. For software, the company uses GIAC (the tune in my car) and this software has been available from very early on.

Champion is a company with significant reputation and credentials (Louis Milone) in the US. I expect nothing but well tuned cars and fantastic results from them. Although late to the game, they will be a force to be reckoned with. Perhaps partly because of my own bias towards GIAC, if I were to tune a 997.2 PDK, without a doubt this company would be the number one choice.

Speaking of fantastic result, their 997.2 PDK has just been clocked at a shocking 2.6 sec 0-60. Yep you read that right, TWO POINT SIX SECONDS! Smiley Link and quote to come. For now: Holy macaroni!

--

Regards,
    Can

cannga:

Speaking of fantastic result, their 997.2 PDK has just been clocked at a shocking 2.6 sec 0-60. Yep you read that right, TWO POINT SIX SECONDS! Smiley Link and quote to come. For now: Holy macaroni!

--

Saw those numbers, 0-60 in 2.6s and 0-100mph in 6.1s incredible times in their own right but a 60-100mph in 3.5s is not really that fast - a 997tt.1 with manual box does 100-160kph in ~4.0ss IIRC and that is without the benefit of PDK and only 480PS so not sure what is going on here Smiley

--

Cannga, what is your opinion on Champion Motorsport step 2 with 997.2 TT PDK?

What are the costs of these mods and upgrages guys? Anyone know?

Toby, I can't think of anything but that darn PDK doing what we've been talking about: no lift and no loss of momentum during acceleration. The thing that blows my mind is this car is restricted because they have not solved the PDK disc slipping problem. It is not *that* powerful -- 2.6 must be from the "PDK effect"!

Artur, there is not enough data yet and I of course have no direct experience and limited knowledge on tuning (just the messenger here), but based solely on the credentials and the methodology that I read so far, there is not much not to like -- other than the $$$ (looks expensive). (Look at the my first post here to see the experience of the guy in charge of this program.) What really impresses me is the methodology. They've planned everything well: test, software designed with planned hardware (turbo, intercooler, etc.), and further tests.
    An example: the way they've approached the tune with respect to PDK. Already they first identified the PDK's limit, and was spot on with it based on the leaked info you provided. But bottom line is that you can't argue with the result.
    BTW, the big US tuners to consider are: GIAC/AWE (meaning AWE hardware, GIAC software), GIAC/Champion (Champion hardware, GIAC software), EVOMS, Protomotive, and Swizer.

Mosor, I would just email Champion directly. (I have no affiliation whatsoever.)

--

Regards,
    Can

Toby, I can't think of anything but that darn PDK doing what we've been talking about: no lift and no loss of momentum during acceleration. The thing that blows my mind is this car is restricted because they have not solved the PDK disc slipping problem. It is not *that* powerful -- 2.6 must be from the "PDK effect"!

Artur, there is not enough data yet and I of course have no direct experience and limited knowledge on tuning (just the messenger here), but based solely on the credentials and the methodology that I read so far, there is not much not to like -- perhaps other than the $$$ (looks expensive). (Look at the my second post here to see the experience of the guy in charge of this program.) What really impresses me is the methodology. They've planned everything well: test, software designed with planned hardware (turbo, intercooler, etc.), and further tests.
    An example: the way they've approached the tune with respect to PDK. Already they first identified the PDK's limit, and was spot on with it based on the leaked info you provided.
    BTW, the big US tuners to consider are: GIAC/AWE (meaning AWE hardware, GIAC software), GIAC/Champion (Champion hardware, GIAC software), EVOMS, Protomotive, and Swizer.

Mosor, I would just email Champion directly. (I have no affiliation whatsoever.)

--

Regards,
    Can

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/208201-champion-motorsport-997-2tt-war-admiral-tested-results.html

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Partial quote:

All testing was conducted by International Journalist Ian Kuah, and the car was tested in “Step 1” power mode with “Sport Plus” mode active, utilizing the PDK launch control. As you may recall from our 4wd Mustang dyno testing, Step 1 CMS power is recorded at 542 whp and 527 ft-lbs torque, following a baseline of 431 peak WHP, and 425 ft-lbs of torque. Ambient temperature was 81F with a relative humidity of 73% during this part of our day. The alignment was not adjusted between on track testing and performance testing, and the Porsche Standard of ¾ tank of 93 octane premium pump fuel was added.

We conducted 3 tests using a RACELOGIC Performance Box (V-BOX) and they were all consistent.

0 – 60 2.6 sec.
    0 – 100 6.1 sec.
    Standing ¼ mile - 10.6 sec. @ 133.2

All runs experienced some level of wheel spin, and results on a proper drag strip may be improved. All runs were also conducted using the full Werks 1 aero package which although improves down force and stability at speed, down force certainly adds drag at the speeds achieved during ¼ mile testing.

For those of you familiar with Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR), the car was able to achieve lap after lap top speeds of 156.6 mph, and complete closed course lap times as driven by Ian Kuah at 1:28.5 in a rather conservative driving style.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

--

Regards,
    Can

--

987 Boxster S, Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' Livery, H&R Monotube Coil-Overs, H&R Anti Roll Bars, Strut Brace, FVD ECU, BMC Air Filter, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Racing Shells, PSE.

997 Carrera 4S, Guards Red, Bilstein PSS10 Damptronic, H&R Anti Roll Bars, IPD Plenum, Dension Gateway 500, PSE.

TB993tt:

Saw those numbers, 0-60 in 2.6s and 0-100mph in 6.1s incredible times in their own right but a 60-100mph in 3.5s is not really that fast - a 997tt.1 with manual box does 100-160kph in ~4.0ss IIRC and that is without the benefit of PDK and only 480PS so not sure what is going on here Smiley

Toby, could you direct us to where you found a 100-160 km/h of ~4 seconds?

SportAuto's own SuperTest recorded the 997TT at 0-100 km/h in 3.8 and 0-160 km/h 8.3...that gives a 100-160 km/h run in 5 seconds.  Even a tiptronic can't shave an entire second off that time.

- bob

The last SportAuto Supertest of the 997tt.1 in May '07 gives 0-100 in 3.8s and 0-160kph in 6.5 s !! so 2.7s 100-160kph !!

the other listed on: http://www.einszweidrei.de/ vary between mid to low 4s.........

3.5s 60-100mph with PDK does not sound that fast.... my 993tt with 577PS did this increment in 3.2s with lots of manual gearchanging 

Edit; Just read their blurb, they are claiming a 25.7% power increase which (if they do the usual chassis dyno "tango") would equate to 628hp !!!! - try 528hp Smiley

--

Where are you seeing 0-160 km/hr @ 6.5 seconds? Smiley Smiley Smiley

(I love emoticons Smiley)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    807996 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450072 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267527 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90777 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7677 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888062 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836900 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM