Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2010 F1 Season

Thanks for piling up the links, Easy! Very much looking forward to this year´s start of the season.

Bruno Senna on how he thinks HRT will be 1 second faster than Lotus and Virgin Racing - even though they haven't driven the car yet for even 1 km!

www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_6005929,00.html

Ferrari - downplaying expectations - but I don't believe a word of it

www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_6005654,00.html

Massa thinks the new teams are bad for F1 and hopes they won't create danger

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81892

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Fascinating blog from James Allen analysing the vague nonsense that Lewis Hamilton was uttering recently:

www.jamesallenonf1.com/

Lewis Hamilton has admitted he mishandled his relationship with Fernando Alonso - IMHO not because he is even 1% sorry for what happened - but purely and solely to neutralise potential concerns raised by the media about how well he will get along with Jenson Button. So he has been forced to admit that he will do things differently this time. But how does this enhance our perception of Lewis? Not IMO.

James Allen writes:

'He admitted that he read the tea leaves wrongly when he was thrown in alongside Alonso in his rookie season, “At the beginning of my first year I was up alongside the two-time world champion and he was seen as the guy to win the world championship and I think at the time I misinterpreted and misunderstood the goals and the understanding of how the team worked". This rather vague sentence would appear to be a reference to the idea that the team took sides in 2007 and were pulled into doing so by the drivers, Hamilton determined to fight his corner because he and his father were of the mindset that you may never get another chance to win a world title so you should take it when presented. Alonso was seen as the guy to get the championship, but Hamilton didn’t see the need to let him through once he got ahead in the points early on'.

So far, Lewis and Jenson have been getting along fine - but this is just Winter testing.

The real test will be when they are competing head to head on the track and especially as the season reaches its climax. IMHO it's just a question of time before the wheels come off this relationship.

IMHO it just doesn't work if you have 2 experienced drivers of very similar ability in the same team. That's why I predict tension inevitably arising between Lewis and Jenson, Felipe and Fernando, Webber and Vettel. They start off developing the car together - due to mutual self-interest to get the best car for themselves - but eventually, they just end up fighting with each other. The only way a full scale fall out is ever avoided is if/when one of them acknowledges expressly, or at least resigns himself tacitly to, the fact that he has been outclassed fair and square.

IMO it works much better when there is a superior driver and a talented team mate who can push the superior driver to perform at his best. This is what I expect between Schumi and Rosberg, Barrichello and Hulkenberg, Kubica and Petrov.

The situation at Sauber is a little unusual: De La Rosa is very experienced but not a proven racer whereas Kobayashi is inexperienced but talented. Anything could happen there. I predict Kobayashi to outperform De La Rosa. KK has a greater desire to win and PDLR is just too much of a nice guy for his own good - just not ruthless enough.

The situation at Virgin Racing is likely to be very one-sided. Glock is a good driver who is desperate to make his second chance in F1 a success. So far, Di Grassi has looked totally out of his depth in Winter testing. I expect he will simply embarrass himself in F1.

The last permutation is where there are 2 inexperienced drivers of broadly similar ability. Sure, they are both competing hard under pressure but they are still junior and inexperienced so their egos do not yet push them to destroy the relationship. An inexperienced driver wants nothing less than to be replaced - so he does his best - but he doesn't try to eliminate his team mate for fear that any replacement may be stronger than him and outshine him to his detriment. I believe this is the situation with Buemi and Alguesuari, Sutil and Liuzzi.

We will see what kind of relationship develops between Senna and Chandok. Judging Senna by the nonsense he uttered recently about the predicted performance of the HRT-Cosworth (predicting that it would be 1 second faster than Lotus and Virgin Racing without even having been tested yet - purely on the basis of calculations done using analogies with GP2 performance), I can only say that to me he seems to lack the maturity and wisdom one should expect in a 27 year old. The danger is that he will disappoint all of us who are secretly hoping he will be a young Ayrton Senna. Trust me, I will be overjoyed if I am proved wrong! But I don't think so.

Coming back to the pre-season nonsense Lewis has been uttering, James Allen also writes:

'In this interview, however, he chucks a new card onto the table, suggesting that this is an old Schumacher that he will be racing against, not the man in his prime, “It’s different to having the young Michael, who’s at his best,” he says, before going on to add, “But I’m sure he’s going to be just as good as ever, ” to tone the comment down a little.'

What a foolish comment - he cannot claim there is a difference between an old Schumi and a young Schumi (who is at his best) - but then he states that he's sure Schumi will be just as good as ever i.e. Schumi's age makes no difference. Lewis can't make both statements at the same time - he's just blatantly undermined his earlier statement.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I hope Rosberg spanks arse this season, I think he is a terrific driver..We shall see...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

I think this season is when Rosberg really has to deliver. For so many years, he has had the excuse of not having a consistent, reliable and competitive car. That excuse has now gone Smiley

I can't help but feel that Rosberg is on the back foot psychologically. He signed up for Brawn thinking he was swapping places with Barrichello and that Jenson would be his team mate.

Little did he suspect that Brawn would be bought out by Mercedes and that his team mate would be none less than Michael Schumacher!! Smiley

I can imagine his first words when he found out this news must have been "F*@KING HELL!"  Smiley

Since then he seems destined to fight a losing battle not to be overshadowed by his illustrious team mate and rival and, more importantly, overwhelmed and sidelined by the weight of media publicity aimed at Schumi.

Rosberg is a nice guy - he didn't deserve to get shafted like this - I feel sorry for him - if it's possible to feel sorry for someone living the dream of being in F1 and being paid millions of Euros for it Smiley

--

I do believe that Rosberg will hold his own on the track and am very curious how Schumacher and him will get along during the season. Massa for example obviously transformed during his time at Ferrari, whether receiving advice and/or psychological backup from Schumacher back then or finally being able to explore his talent that he only showed a glimpse of at Sauber.

I personally believe that the biggest competition will be at Ferrari and McLaren, Mercedes being a close runner-up.

This weekend, WTCC performs its first race. Considering the economical climate, there is quite a bit to look forward this year, e.g. the 24h of Nürburgring and Le Mans, the F1 season, the continuing battle between Loeb and Hirvonen as well as Raikkonen and Ken Block appearing in WRC not to mention ALMS, FIA-GT and DTM.

So, apart from rallye, the motorsport season begins for me tonight.

Mansell tips Hamilton to outperform Button

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8554302.stm

F1 rookies from 2000-2009 analysed in depth

www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx

Button relaxed at McLaren

www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx

Hamilton nearly quit over lie-gate - don't believe him for 1 second - talk is cheap, actually quitting matters, nearly quitting is just talk

Massa thinks it was a blessing in disguise for Schumi that he didn't make a comeback with Ferrari in 2009

Mercedes downplays expectations for Bahrain

www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx

Joint engineering oversight at McLaren intended to foster harmony between Hamilton and Button

www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_6007913,00.html

Button relaxed and at home at McLaren

www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_6007891,00.html

Button thrilled with McLaren pre-season effort

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81907

--

Interesting article on finance in F1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8552641.stm

--

I am pretty excited about this season.
    "No refueling" may shuffle the deck a bit - but more importantly, we have so many huge egos in the line-up, that this season HAS to be explosive.
    The return of "Darth Vader" in the shape of Schumi is very good for the sport.
    Honestly, I´m not sure how much I´d follow F1 in 2010 if it hadn´t been for the return of the most admired and hated driver in modern times.

So we have old blood mixed with new (Senna being one I look forward to following) and a lot of new teams, drivers, setups, rules etc. This is the perfect recipe for a lot of drama.
    Hopefully we won´t get a lot of "follow the leader" races like the ones we have had previously.

Red Bull doing 1.8 second tyre changes

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_6009479,00.html

Button: no one will give Schumi an inch

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_6009498,00.html

More 2010 predictions from Planet F1

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3261_6009661,00.html

Excitement about the 2010 season

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3261_6009540,00.html

--

+1,,

Silly to say and disrespectful in a way but Schumi seems to be the one to beat in 2010..He must first gain the number 1 spot in the team and to do that he must beat Rosberg which will not be easy..Going to be no walk in the park, thats for sure..

My top three at the end is ,, Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, not in that order though...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Throt, I agree.
    This may be a physical sport, and you can argue that Schumi´s "progressed" age is a disadvantage. However, I am sure he will be in the shape of his life. He won´t do a comeback and end up looking like a has-been, so u can be sure he´s ready.
    Combine that with his driving- and teambuilding skills, and you will have to be pretty naïve not to see him as a contender for the championship.

My prediction for the top 5 in no particular order:
    Schumi, Massa, Button, Hamilton, Alonso.
    I hope Vettel will be able to get in there...

Jonathan Legard on the 2010 F1 season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanlegard/2010/03/when-patrick-head-talks-you.html

--

IMHO the leading contenders (in no particular order) are:

Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Schumacher, Massa, Vettel.

I think Rosberg, Webber will be close behind.

Barrichello and Hulkenberg could surprise us this year.

--

easy_rider911:

IMHO the leading contenders (in no particular order) are:

Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Schumacher, Massa, Vettel.

I think Rosberg, Webber will be close behind.

Barrichello and Hulkenberg could surprise us this year.

You covered yourself Smiley, also,  lets not forget that nutter in the BMW, Kobayashi, that dude is a proper racing driver Smiley....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Okay throt, I could be wildly wrong here, but based on what I have seen from Winter testing, this is where I think the drivers are in terms of performance potential at the start of this season given the cars they are driving respectively:

Alonso (the complete driver in a very fast car - he's the guy to beat IMO)

Hamilton (because I don't think McLaren is quite as quick as Ferrari)

Schumacher (again, will be held back by the slightly lesser performance of Mercedes)

Vettel (again, will be limited by the performance of the Renault engine in the Red Bull)

Massa (not as consistent as Alonso - especially in the wet - plus needs to lead from the front - not good at making his way through the field during the race)

Button (unable to extract max performance if car isn't perfectly set up for a particular track & proved psychologically vulnerable in last part of 2009)

Webber (inconsistent, must step up a level & not keep looking for excuses)

Rosberg (inconsistent but will push Schumacher very close at times)

Barrichello (will surprise us on tracks suited to the Williams car)

Kubica (will extract max performance from the inferior Renault)

Hulkenberg (will surprise us - future World Championship potential here - one to watch)

Kobayashi (Sauber is fairly quick plus Kamui is a fearless fighter - he has real guts!)

Buemi (I expect him to make good progress this year plus Toro Rosso is quite quick)

De La Rosa (lacks ruthlessness - too much of a nice guy - and isn't an out and out racer)

Sutil (consistent - will plod round the track & deliver - but won't dazzle - but Force India isn't that slow this year so could surprise us sometimes)

Liuzzi (very inconsistent and makes too many careless mistakes)

Alguersuari (inconsistent & lacks experience leading to rookie errors)

Petrov (unknown quantity - quite good for a rookie in testing - but lacks race experience - a learning year for him)

Trulli (will be held back by a slow car but will extract maximum in qualification as usual but race pace usually disappoints)

Kovaleinen (again, will be held back by a slow car & just too inconsistent)

Glock (will extract good performance from a poor Virgin Racing car)

Senna (has potential but inexperienced and sadly driving an untested HRT car)

Chandhok (inexperienced and IMO will make rookie mistakes from being too eager)

Di Grassi (so far, hopelessly out of his depth in F1 - may not last the whole season)

Whether they actually end the season in these positions is anybody's guess  Crashes, rain, unreliability, team-mate discord, changing relative performance due to ongoing development of the cars, tyre change errors, strategy errors etc could mean it doesn't turn out this way

-- 

RT Moderator
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

(...)

Whether they actually end the season in these positions is anybody's guess  Crashes, rain, unreliability, team-mate discord, changing relative performance due to ongoing development of the cars, tyre change errors, strategy errors etc could mean it doesn't turn out this way

That´s what I count on! Smiley

Excellent analysis from Martin Brundle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8552722.stm

Interesting info on Cosworth engines

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

BBC F1 team's predictions

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8540437.stm

Webber not losing sleep over Vettel

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_6010212,00.html

Gascoigne says reliability will be key for getting points

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81930

Renault hopes to be close to top 4

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81927

McLaren inspection by Charlie Whiting delayed till Bahrain

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81926

Force India hoping for points

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81924

--

James Allen thoughts - Alonso is the favourite for the championship

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=James_Allen&id=47895

Christian Horner's views on Sebastian Vettel

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_6011287,00.html

Sir Jackie Stewart says Lewis will be a 'natural no 1' at McLaren

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_6010173,00.html

I genuinely believe that officially (and IMO in practice) McLaren will provide equal treatment & opportunity HOWEVER IMHO Lewis has a 'natural advantage' (from being so well established there) whereas Jenson has IMHO an 'obvious, natural disadvantage'.

I would not use the term 'natural no 1' like Sir jackie Stewart has done. It is unnecessarily provocative IMO. But from the past 4-5 months, we already know that SJS has been quite openly vociferous in his criticism of Jenson's choice.

Kamui Kobayashi targetting places 'just after podium'

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_6009782,00.html

He wants to 'fight with everybody'  I really like his positive, combative attitude.

--

Damn, the British GP is on World Cup Final day (July 11th), kick off 20.30 thus making it a mad dash back from Silverstone..Bernie, you need a kick up the rear passage...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

Damn, the British GP is on World Cup Final day (July 11th), kick off 20.30 thus making it a mad dash back from Silverstone..Bernie, you need a kick up the rear passage...

Correction, kick off 19.30 (uk time)...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

All the same, whoever scheduled the British GP on the same day as the World Cup Final needs their head examined 

--

throt:
    throt:

No problem Keith - just take your seat in the VIP lounge and watch it from there...Smiley

Failing that there's sure to be a great pub, with a giant screen, on your way home....chill man..Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Brilliant analysis of the Hamilton vs Button battle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8551538.stm

Perceptive analysis of Alonso vs Schumi, Alonso vs Hamilton and how Hamilton vs Button might play out. One of the best articles I've read in quite a while Smiley 

--

John H:
    throt:
    throt:

No problem Keith - just take your seat in the VIP lounge and watch it from there...Smiley

Failing that there's sure to be a great pub, with a giant screen, on your way home....chill man..Smiley

--

John, I got to get back the Mrs will miss me Smiley, plus I am tea total Smiley..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Q&A with Jenson Button

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2010/3/10494.html

Webber predicts Schumi in for a hard time

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81934

Massa predicts best start from Ferrari in years

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81952

--

Guys - Here is an excellent calendar that can be directly downloaded to your Outlook.

You can set your own time zones.

f1calendar.com/timezone/Africa-Maputo

Many thanks for the calendar....very useful indeed..

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781980 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442858 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263496 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261920 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85985 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6012 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881673 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819718 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM