Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

M3 - European delivery.

Guys,

I have for a while been looking at buying a M3 or a 997S. Conclusion is that the M3 will give me a car which in many aspects is more practical.

Prices here in Dubai are not bad but I cannot stop looking at US prices which are close to 30% cheaper if I buy a new car.  I contacted a dealer in Houston but was told that he was not allowed to export cars. Now I see that European delivery is an option and that I would even get a 7% reduction !! I am thinking that I would be able to get a fully specced car at around USD 55K which is a 40% reduction compared to local prices. I need to add some shipping cost etc, but this should far from kill the deal.

Now my question is - would the US dealer allow me to take european delivery and "keep" the car so that I myself could arrange transport to Dubai, or does the european delivery include an obligation to ship the car to the US ?

Does any of you have experience or information with such a deal ?

/Thomas

PS: Christian I saw "your" new X5M at the Dubai motorshow today. Congrats on the choice - it is a very nice car. Further it is relatively stealth and I would be surprised if your fellow germans makes life hard for the wife and kids.

Re: M3 - European delivery.

As far as I know, this can't work for various reasons, especially since BMW directly is involved in organizing the transport back to the US. You need to get a german customs license plate (export) for your M3 but I doubt you can get it without the necessary papers from BMW. Another problem could be that you don't have a US address.

Also a possible problem (I don't know for sure): car documents. The car documents are for the US, how do you think you're going to get license plates in Dubai without the proper documentation from BMW ?

There are some US dealers (independent ?) who sell to non-Americans but are you really sure it is worth it ? As soon as you encounter technical/warranty problems, you could have serious trouble with a US car in Dubai.

Why don't you buy a slightly used M3 from Germany ? Get a car from a dealer where you can deduct the 19% tax and I bet you find what you're looking for. Some german dealers have brandnew cars with only 10 km or so on the speedo, they sell them at a huge discount.

Good luck !

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Thanks Christian,

You know sometimes it is difficult not to be attracted by a good offer, I guess the art is to make sure that the offer is not to good Smiley 

Some of the issues you mention I have already discussed with the local BMW dealer. The warranty they are willing to take over and this was a must for me. I have also talked specs and it seems that the only difference is the cooling system, where the Middle East model have a larger or at least different cooling unit.

I will give it a go with your idea on the German dealers. 

/Thomas

I also heard about this and wonder if there is a way a non US citizen could benefit.

The way I understand it is it is intended for US citizens only... BUT what happens if I go and meet that US "citizen" at his delivery? Can he sell me his new car without shipping it back and forth to US?      Maybe just by paperwork, through the dealer?

Maybe the dealer knows some loop hole...

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

I don't think it is possible. Because of tax reasons, cars picked up in Germany actually have a very special status which is LOCKED to the owner/customer. You can't just change this without the proper paperwork which of course needs to come from BMW. Personally I would say that there is not much of a chance.

Stupid question: a BMW M3 Coupe is 68000 EUR over here (I used the base price for comparison). Most dealers are willing to give at least 11-12%, maybe even more on a new car if you pay cash. Then deduct the 19% tax in Germany. Result: the car costs you around 48500 EUR.

A US car would be around 41000 EUR without dealer rebate. Sorry but I don't get your point. For a difference of around 7500 EUR, I would save myself the trouble to get a car practically without warranty and with US specs. I also assume that transport from the US would be more costly than from Europe.

Unless the US dealer is willing to provide more than 10-15% rebate on a new car.

There is no chance I know of to order the car in the US and pick it up in Germany at BMW without being a US citizen/resident.

Another hint: well optioned and practically brandnew (10-15 km or under 500 km) are available at some german dealers for around 80000 EUR. Most dealers are willing to provide 11-12% rebate, if they want to get rid of the car even up to 15%. Cash can matter. So you get a very well equipped M3 Coupe for around 68000 EUR if you're lucky. Deduct the 19% tax and you get a price tag of around 55000 EUR, around 78000 USD.

Just food for thought.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Thomas,

maybe you should get in contact with these guys:

http://www.bmwtaxfree.co.uk/

In Germany quite a few people ordered and got their cars delivered in nationals specs ... the price difference was significant !!!

Cheers

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I will have a look at these guys and what they can offer.

/Thomas

It seems that the long wait is coming to an end. I had given up on the M3 idea as every time i found one there was all sorts of issues and I was inches from an agreement on a used 997S. I liked the 997S specs, but there was something with the car I could not put words on. Sitting in the office yesterday a colleague calls me and ask if I have seen the white M3 at a dealer nearby. Nope, i had not and I was in the middle of a day which I knew would not leave me time to go, neither would the fact that I was flying out for biz in the evening. In other words I could not really see how I should find time to have a look at the car.

Leaving the office I thought, give it 5 minutes and have a look. So I did and there it was. Exactly as I wanted it, white with dark grey 19' wheels, partly red leather interior, manual gearbox, EDC and as a gift from the sky a 5 year BMW maintenance deal (which I believe they have stopped selling here in UAE). I will only be back in Dubai thursday for an inspection and testdrive of the car, but all going well I will have the car Saturday. Did I forget to mention that the dealer took my current car in exchance at a resonable price. That leaves me without the hazzle to sell the old car.

Damn, I am looking forward to get the car. This is in fact the first time in years I have been looking forward to drive my car. It is also the first time ever I just go and buy a car on the way home from the office...I almost felt like Mike S there

Pictures will be coming.

/Thomas

Sounds great, Thomas ! Keep us updated (and post some photos).

--

Great news Thomas !! the M3 is one of the most enjoyable drivers cars, and comfortable too. post a lot of pics 

tso:

.... It is also the first time ever I just go and buy a car on the way home from the office...I almost felt like Mike S there

LOL Smiley Many congrats Smiley

-- 

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Car is in the driveway...Hope you like the pictures.

IMG_0006.JPGIMG_0011.JPG

Congratulations, the car is a beauty.

--

tso:

It seems that the long wait is coming to an end. I had given up on the M3 idea as every time i found one there was all sorts of issues and I was inches from an agreement on a used 997S. I liked the 997S specs, but there was something with the car I could not put words on. Sitting in the office yesterday a colleague calls me and ask if I have seen the white M3 at a dealer nearby. Nope, i had not and I was in the middle of a day which I knew would not leave me time to go, neither would the fact that I was flying out for biz in the evening. In other words I could not really see how I should find time to have a look at the car.

Leaving the office I thought, give it 5 minutes and have a look. So I did and there it was. Exactly as I wanted it, white with dark grey 19' wheels, partly red leather interior, manual gearbox, EDC and as a gift from the sky a 5 year BMW maintenance deal (which I believe they have stopped selling here in UAE). I will only be back in Dubai thursday for an inspection and testdrive of the car, but all going well I will have the car Saturday. Did I forget to mention that the dealer took my current car in exchance at a resonable price. That leaves me without the hazzle to sell the old car.

Damn, I am looking forward to get the car. This is in fact the first time in years I have been looking forward to drive my car. It is also the first time ever I just go and buy a car on the way home from the office...I almost felt like Mike S there

Pictures will be coming.

/Thomas

Congratulations Thomas! She is a beauty! Smiley Smiley

Very nice

Enjoy it in good health

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Very nice car!

--

997 GT3 RS

Thanks for all the kind words

I have now had the car for some days and I absolutely love it. The suspension is mere comfy than I had thought but with EDC things can be firmed up if needed. I have not yet had a chance to drive the car the way it deserves  but that will come soon. I hope to have a trackday within weeks and will revert with a small story and my impressions. Sorry to you guys in Europe where snow is keeping you away from the tracks these days.

/Thomas

Had a chance to give the car a go this weekend and found that the limiter must have been removed... Could not go all in though. Anyone who knows where a stock M3 will stop in terms of top speed ?

/Thomas

tso:

Had a chance to give the car a go this weekend and found that the limiter must have been removed... Could not go all in though. Anyone who knows where a stock M3 will stop in terms of top speed ?

/Thomas

I don't know about E92, but E46 M3s' had soft limiter so it kicks in @270 km/h.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

nice colour combo! Enjoy it :)

@ pride355. I was at exactly 270 on the digital speedo. I am not aware of real speed, but there was definetely more in the car.

@ Skazzy. Thanks a lot

There is 280km/h limiter that can be ordered when you are buying new M3. Code is 07ME. Price is in Germany 2450€.

You will get then little bit more then 290km/h on speedo...

M3 is limited at 259 km/h

Cheers

Tom

Nice M3 you've got there!! Are you going to do mods on it?

--

=     =     =       W       I        L        D             S        P       E       E      D     =     =     =

Thanks Wild Speed. For now I will not do any mods to the car...Mike S will anyway beat me in every department. I intend to track the car instead, and spend the money on tires, brake pads and whatelse I will need.

sounds good tso

--

=     =     =       W       I        L        D             S        P       E       E      D     =     =     =

Great Car, and awesome you found it locally with your exact spec. This will be a track monster in terms of fun. Keep out of the kitty litter and post lots of pics! She's a beauty

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Finally had a chance to take the car to the track today. Overall I was very pleased with the performance. Power is great and once on the track where you naturally keep the RPM's up there is NO lack of power, which you might experience in the daily traffic at low RPM's. The car is very easy to control on the exit but felt I had more of a challenge going into the corners, skills and experience needs to be polished/developed.

Another thing was that I at the end of the 2nd session started to feel a bit of a soft brake. I do believe this is not uncommon for the M3. Anyone who has experienced this and what have you done exactly to avoid ?

All in all I was very pleased and would go out there again tomorrow if possible. This is so much more fun than the 6 lane straight highways of Dubai.

I only had very few pictures taken, but here are a few.

Getting ready, going out of the garages into the pitlane. Picture is taken before the 2nd session.

IMG_0107.JPG.

Into the pitlane behind some of the Porsche guys. I nice 997GT3 as you can see. Two Porsches had to "retire". The silver Cayman on the picture which got stuck in 4th gear and an older 964 which I do not know what happened to.

IMG_0029.JPG

Coming back from the track through the garages...that session could have lasted another 20 minutes

IMG_0088.JPG

Unfortunately one guy from the other group was not to lucky. He had an encounter with the barriere in his Honda. Luckily nothing happened to him, he walked out of the car. 

IMG_0085.JPG

/Thomas

Great pics - a pity what happened to the Honda S2000 - thanks for sharing - enjoy your car in good health  

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

tso:
    Another thing was that I at the end of the 2nd session started to feel a bit of a soft brake. I do believe this is not uncommon for the M3. Anyone who has experienced this and what have you done exactly to avoid ?
    /Thomas

Thomas,

It is great to see that you had huge fun with your M3 Smiley

The most annoying thing about M3s, actually through out all E36-E46-E92 M3s, they all have weak brakes; the weakest point of the car IMO, unlike Porsche and unfortunately it is common.

The best way to cure this problem is going for Big Brake Kits, either AP racing or Brembo. Ask Mike; he had ordered a BBK. But it is expensive.

Another solution and that is cheap, is to buy steal brake lines (something around 120-USD), DOT 5.1 brake fluid and performance pads such as Pagid RS or Hawk HPS. This setup would improve things but don't expect Porsche brakes.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777980 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441990 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262926 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261162 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85414 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5684 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880836 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816388 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM