Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997.2 Turbo vs GT-R vs R8 V10 by Autocar

fun2k:

Name 1 car just 1 car which is reliable and has similar performance to these cars,or even remotely similar.The fact of the matter is both company exist to make money they dont care about anything else.porsche can easily fix rms problems,the weak lsd or move to slotted discs but that would be mean less profits,same as nissan can offer an oil cooler for the transmission instead of just adding an air vent it will not solve the heat problem entirely. My biggest complaint is agianst porsche ,why havent they fixed the rms issue yet?will it take another 50years for them to realise there is an issue with the seal? tell you why,because ppl are still buying gt3's which means????yes lazy ass profiteering

Then why did you order a GT3 if you know about RMS leak ?

--

http://i28.tinypic.com/166k5zo.png

MKSGR:
    turbolite:

There will be more and more Porsche customers out there (and i mean the ones who have been spending 150k+ on Posches) who will start to look at the GT-R as a possible alternative, just like you did .Smiley

Honestly, if you have the means and love to drive a car fast: why should you buy a GTR? It is a compromise. You save some money - but you own a compromise Smiley

Of course, some might buy a GTR in addition to the serious sports cars they own - just to test it for some time (one of the two GTR owners I know is such a guy). But then: these guys tell you quite frankly how the GTR ranks vs. a 997TT or even GT2/GT3. The find very clear words actually. And these words don't share much with what some guys keep spreading over the Internet.

I certainly would never claim that the GTR is a better track car than the actual GT2. It is not, because it has been developed with a wider envelope, more similar to the turbo. So yes. it's a compromise if compared to a GT2 with its track focus but that's actually a perfect reason for people like me to consider it. I like the boot, the (small) backseats, the 4wd and all weather usability. Additionally, if I want to have some fun on a trackday the car seems to be extremely competent - for half the price... sounds perfect to me! Smiley

--
    turbolite

MKSGR:
    nberry:
    MKSGR:

Sure, it is a great idea to launch a first major facelift after 6 months (first sales in Germany)... The 1.600 GTR owners mentioned in this press release will love it - no doubt. Who wants to own a pre-FL GTR Smiley

Honestly, this FL is only the latest demonstration of how incapable Nissan is to develop a decent sports car Smiley They should have tested the car BEFORE selling it to customers. Now they find out that the car cannot be used as promised in their marketing story which was full of misleading (if not worse) claims anyhow. What a major screwup the GTR actually isSmiley

Markus, isn't Porsche a sport car and to be used on the track? If so, why does Porsche's warranty not apply to failure occurring during track events? Is that not misleading in that the car cannot be used as promised?Smiley

Nick, the Porsche warranty - at least in Germany - does cover damages occuring on the track Smiley

I know when I owned a 911 the warranty was voided for track events. I don't believe Porsche has changed that policy at least in the US (I would like to know if I am mistaken). If it is voided in the US, why the difference in policy between Germany and the US?Smiley

Trip, Ferrari extends coverage for track events. As does GM, Ford and Chrysler. I don't know about other manufacturers.

--

BiTurbo:
    fun2k:

Name 1 car just 1 car which is reliable and has similar performance to these cars,or even remotely similar.The fact of the matter is both company exist to make money they dont care about anything else.porsche can easily fix rms problems,the weak lsd or move to slotted discs but that would be mean less profits,same as nissan can offer an oil cooler for the transmission instead of just adding an air vent it will not solve the heat problem entirely. My biggest complaint is agianst porsche ,why havent they fixed the rms issue yet?will it take another 50years for them to realise there is an issue with the seal? tell you why,because ppl are still buying gt3's which means????yes lazy ass profiteering

Then why did you order a GT3 if you know about RMS leak ?

Because if i keep worrying about reliablity issue i will never buy any sports car,hell even my bmw 1 series has issue but i still love the car. going through gt3 forums on rennlist,6speedonline and teamspeed lead me to believe its a comon problem in many many porsches but ppl are living with it so...i hope that porsche has fixed the issue but deep down in my heart i know the bas$%# have done nothing.

coming from a turbo which was a dissapointment i think this car has what i was originally looking for in the turbo i.e(no lag,better handling,sound,manual).

turbolite:
    MKSGR:
    turbolite:

There will be more and more Porsche customers out there (and i mean the ones who have been spending 150k+ on Posches) who will start to look at the GT-R as a possible alternative, just like you did .Smiley

Honestly, if you have the means and love to drive a car fast: why should you buy a GTR? It is a compromise. You save some money - but you own a compromise Smiley

Of course, some might buy a GTR in addition to the serious sports cars they own - just to test it for some time (one of the two GTR owners I know is such a guy). But then: these guys tell you quite frankly how the GTR ranks vs. a 997TT or even GT2/GT3. The find very clear words actually. And these words don't share much with what some guys keep spreading over the Internet.

I certainly would never claim that the GTR is a better track car than the actual GT2. It is not, because it has been developed with a wider envelope, more similar to the turbo. So yes. it's a compromise if compared to a GT2 with its track focus but that's actually a perfect reason for people like me to consider it. I like the boot, the (small) backseats, the 4wd and all weather usability. Additionally, if I want to have some fun on a trackday the car seems to be extremely competent - for half the price... sounds perfect to me! Smiley

turbolite you have driven 997 gt2,gt3 and gt-r? how would you compare ride quality between the three on the road as a DD.i have still not driven a gt3 and id like to know how it handles irregularities(like small bumbs on the road) on the road compared to a gt-r.

thanks

That video by Autocar is such a puff piece. I just don't buy it. I'm sorry but how did the V10 R8 come in last and who the f is the driver? Some random bloke...

As for reliability concerns, i think we can all agree that the Porsches are more reliable than a newly, cheaply developed nissan. They're all playing with the same cards and nissan achieved technically aided performance but ITS TOO HEAVY END OF STORY.

The GTR is as much a track car as a 911 is a FWD.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Atzporsche:

..... and who the f is the driver? Some random bloke...

So little knowledge!

Driver is Chris Harris, well known Porsche-lover and racer, who races a 911 Cup in the VLN series in Germany at the 'ring. He 's not a full-time professional driver, but is one of the fastest and most well-regarded journalists there is.

Guy:
    Atzporsche:

So little knowledge!

Driver is Chris Harris, well known Porsche-lover and racer, who races a 911 Cup in the VLN series in Germany at the 'ring. He 's not a full-time professional driver, but is one of the fastest and most well-regarded journalists there is.

FWIW, it was actually Steve Sutcliffe, who is Chief Editor of the magazine if I remember correctly.

Chris Harris left Autocar quite a while ago.

--

fritz

fritz:
    Guy:
    Atzporsche:

So little knowledge!

FWIW, it was actually Steve Sutcliffe, who is Chief Editor of the magazine if I remember correctly.

Chris Harris left Autocar quite a while ago.

He might have mistakenly referred to the 2nd video (the Coke trailer). Smiley

Guy:

I love how people talk about Nissan problems assume that Porsche make reliable cars. My 996 GT2 needed new PCCBs and a new gearbox in the first 18 months and 9,000 miles. Many friends of mine have had RMS issues on many 911s including one who has had three RMS operations on his GT3.

That´s exactly my opinion, I keep wondering about the harsh tone that comes with this subject. Porsche had some glitches in their development as well and I´d be curious to know if they handled it any better in terms of customer relations. That doesn´t make Porsche´s cars any worse and in fact, if you look beyond the stats and numbers, their cars are nothing less than terriffic. Still that doesn´t explain the opinions that appear on this thread.

Guy:

The fact is that Porsche, who I love (having owned many GT2s and RSs) are selling a Turbo thats broadly speaking equivalent to a GTR for twice the price. It costs Porsche $7,000 more to make a Turbo than a Boxster, it is their ability to rip-off the customer and become the most profitable maker in the world that should annoy us all.

I do believe that the Turbo offers more, in terms of versatility and reliability than the GT-R. I even believe that the GT-R, just as much as the Corvette Z06 for example, would have become an even more appealing product if the bean counters´d have agreed on a slightly higher pricetag and accordingly higher amount of money spent in production and refinement.

nberry:

I know when I owned a 911 the warranty was voided for track events. I don't believe Porsche has changed that policy at least in the US (I would like to know if I am mistaken). If it is voided in the US, why the difference in policy between Germany and the US?Smiley

Nick, I don't know the policy in the US, but in Germany it is as mentioned by Markus - even with the Boxster S (which isn't a dedicated track Porsche like the GT-models) I never had any "discussions" with the PZ although they knew that I tracked the car a lot. And the manuals for the GT-Porsches even have some extra pages regarding track use of the cars - and there is no disclaimer mentioning the warranty.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

fun2k:

turbolite you have driven 997 gt2,gt3 and gt-r? how would you compare ride quality between the three on the road as a DD.i have still not driven a gt3 and id like to know how it handles irregularities(like small bumbs on the road) on the road compared to a gt-r.

thanks

fun2k, I'm not the right person to answer that question, I don't have enough experience with these cars; FWIW I never drove the 997gt2, only the 997gt3 briefly when it came out and lately the GTR a couple of times. The gt3 was a big step forward compared to the 996gt3 (which was a very harsh ride) due to the electronic suspensions; the gtr is also pretty stiff and as people commented there is almost no difference between the comfort and the middle setting. In fact that's one of the things which according to Nissan is being addressed with the new MJ. Still as a DD I think the gtr is the best, due to its less sporty package. You sit higher, it feels more limo than hot sports car (which obviously could also be seen as a disadvantage!), it's less loud, has rear seats, 4wd and a decent boot. but then it's about priorities: I live in Switzerland now so I appreciate 4wd - that's why the turbo is the best Porsche for my use, but I guess it's quite different in the u.a.e.! T  Go and have a test ride in one, so you can make yourself your own opinion! Smiley

--
    turbolite

When everything is said and done regarding the Turbo and GT-R comparison, this much I know. I would buy the turbo over the GT-R without hesitation. A no brainer.

--

turbolite:
    fun2k:

thanks

fun2k, I'm not the right person to answer that question, I don't have enough experience with these cars; FWIW I never drove the 997gt2, only the 997gt3 briefly when it came out and lately the GTR a couple of times. The gt3 was a big step forward compared to the 996gt3 (which was a very harsh ride) due to the electronic suspensions; the gtr is also pretty stiff and as people commented there is almost no difference between the comfort and the middle setting. In fact that's one of the things which according to Nissan is being addressed with the new MJ. Still as a DD I think the gtr is the best, due to its less sporty package. You sit higher, it feels more limo than hot sports car (which obviously could also be seen as a disadvantage!), it's less loud, has rear seats, 4wd and a decent boot. but then it's about priorities: I live in Switzerland now so I appreciate 4wd - that's why the turbo is the best Porsche for my use, but I guess it's quite different in the u.a.e.! T  Go and have a test ride in one, so you can make yourself your own opinion! Smiley

thanks m8,the problem is you just cant get a test drive in a gt3,especially the new one,you cant find it for sale anywhere here, used or new ,dealer or privately owned.

nberry:

When everything is said and done regarding the Turbo and GT-R comparison, this much I know. I would buy the turbo over the GT-R without hesitation. A no brainer.

I have yet to drive the new turbo with pdk so i reserve my judgement on that but if i were ever given a choice between my previous 2 cars ,without any hesitation i would go for the gt-r. when i booked the turbo it was my dream car,i waited serveral month in anticipation was killing me. The gt-r, i didnt even want to buy,i wanted an r8 but well lets just say i was made to buy it(i had no choice lol) and did not regret my decision.

some owners dont prefer the gt-r(sorry you just dont know how to drive it),yes its boring on the motor way unlike the turbo but in the corners is where all the fun is and frankly your just not going fast enough to enjoy this car(without going near the limit ofcoarse).

if i were given a magic wand and asked to fix issues in both cars for road use not track.

GTR

cut the size of godzilla,for me the size was more of an issue that weight(unless im going 10/10 on public roads)

reduce ride stiffness

Turbo

laaaag, vtg my ass the car lags too much.

better auto tranny = pdk

better cornering ability

with all that said,if i were in the market for a new car i would not buy either of these cars again.,thats why i went ahead and booked a gt3 keeping in ming ride stiffness might be a minor issue for me.

I believe your opinion about the turbo is 90% due to the slushbox tiptronic that we were all brainwashed that is the best thing since bread.. It kills the fun of this car and it even increases the feeling of lag due to its wider ratios. If you had a manual/lsd your opinion would probably be different. And then a sport exhaust and maybe a set of damptr (both of which should have been standard in this car but P was too cheap to do it) the driving excitement and performance of the turbo goes up by 30%. So the tt is not perfect but comes a lot closer to very very good with a couple of additions. I personally respect a lot what nissan have done with the gtr, would surely buy it (and pray for reliability) if this was my budget for a car. But sorry I just can't compare it with what I have seen the tt can do after having owed 5 of them. How can you address the HUGE weight, Size, RELIABILITY and finally attractiveness/looks (subjective point but still..) You simply can't fix those. So congrats to nissan, really AMAZING what they have achieved, even with all these compromises, but I personnaly cannot compare it with a tt.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778655 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442149 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263014 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261305 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85551 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5765 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880984 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816961 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM