Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2011 AUDI A8

Damn.... i really want to like this car a lot more. its not bad looking or anything, its actually quite good. but it just looks like an oversized A4, it doesn't have that special something that set the previous A8 aside from the rest of the audi lineup. the moment you saw the previous A8 on the streets it immediately commanded attention, not because of flare but because it had an air of sophistication that i think this one just doesn't have. Driving the old one is also a joy, my gf dad has a W12 and the first time he gave me the keys i felt like a 5 year old. also the droopy pattern on the leds make it look kindda sad. that said its not an ugly car, there's just something missing 

Enmanuel +1!!!

The side looks like an A6, the front like an A4. To passionless and boring. Nothing new! I hoped to see something more powerful (from the design) and passionate!

German Price list for new A8:

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/pdf/price_lists.Par.0028.File.pdf/16046_preisliste_zypern.pdf

Unlike most of you I like it.

BTW, 4.2 TDI with 350ps/800Nm numbers are pretty good: 0-100km/h in 5.5s, 7.6L/100km average fuel consumption and 199g/km CO2.

Unlike most of you I like it.

you didnt had to mention that Kreso - we know you by now SmileySmiley

Enmanuel:

Damn.... i really want to like this car a lot more. its not bad looking or anything, its actually quite good. but it just looks like an oversized A4, it doesn't have that special something that set the previous A8 aside from the rest of the audi lineup. the moment you saw the previous A8 on the streets it immediately commanded attention, not because of flare but because it had an air of sophistication that i think this one just doesn't have. Driving the old one is also a joy, my gf dad has a W12 and the first time he gave me the keys i felt like a 5 year old. also the droopy pattern on the leds make it look kindda sad. that said its not an ugly car, there's just something missing 

+1 .... I am very dissapointed as I expeted originality from Audi

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

ouch....first look reminded me of a sleepy python......

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Hmm...

BMW 7 series is original? Huh...

From technical point of view new A8 is by far the best car in its class.

New engine will follow. Even 4.2 TDI is without competition currently. Look at the price as well, it is more then ok IMHO.

I like it too. But what about the S8? Maybe I will take a SWB S8.

Generally the interior got nicer, especially the gauges, about the only two complaint is the new placement of the MMI buttons, Audi moved it out of the natural hand positions and looks like it is far enough forward that one needs to REACH to get to them instead of the better current position, right underneath the right hand when it's resting on the arm rest.

Second complaint is the screen placement, this new one looks completely out of place within the dash, it sticks out like a teenager's erection and looks the part of an afterthought, Completely ruining the flow of the interior.

Wow that is bland. S-class for me at the moment out of all the big saloons.

technically top of class.about the design..not so convinced....

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

very intereting,a new way to distinct S version

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/245470/

Audi S8 to set new standard

The forthcoming Audi S8, the hot version of the new A8 saloon, will set the template for the design of the company's future performance models, design director Stefan Sielaff has told Autocar.

"It will create a new design grammar which will also go onto the next S6, S7 and S1," said Sielaff.
    This is also one of the first times that a senior Audi source has admitted that hit versions of the new A7 fastback and A1 supermini are in the pipeline.

Sielaff revealed that all of these S models would have more visual differentiation over the standard models than the current S line-up.

He also talked of increased use of aluminium and carbonfibre in the cabins to make them more special.

The next S8 is likely to be seen late next year, powered by a turbo V8 rather than the Lambo-sourced V10 of the current model.

--

I expected much much more.. It looks like a bigger A4. After Audi presented A5, which looks very good, I thought that new A4, A6 and A8 will be more interesting. But I guess I was wrong.

Shakal:

I expected much much more.. It looks like a bigger A4. After Audi presented A5, which looks very good, I thought that new A4, A6 and A8 will be more interesting. But I guess I was wrong.

I thought the same...

--

Gents,

I do not understand you at all.

Everybody here on rennteam(ok, with few exeptions) did not like Panamera too much. Personally,  I think that Pana is interesting and brave design from Porsche.

Then, new Mercedes E-class did not get any fans here. IMHO, it is not very best looking car-BUT, far from beign plain ugly as some members here claimed.

New Audis did not get any fans here as well. New A8 is in the same boat.

SO, BMW is with 7 series and new 5 series new design leader?? Hmm...

I do not think so.  7 series and 5 series do NOT look very similar to you? OK, I guess...

@Kreso:

good point - we dont like any of the new cars. I guess, the design is getting just to simple, passionless and emotionless.

Big Salons always have the problem with being touchy for us car-guys. So its even harder that we like it. But what currently comes up, doesn't show me the bite.

The new 5 series, indeed - has a great shape, looks sporty and elegant in the same.

I also love the Tesla S - for a limousine I find it has a great shape, looks sporty and need.

KresoF1:

Gents,

Everybody here on rennteam(ok, with few exeptions) did not like Panamera too much. Personally,  I think that Pana is interesting and brave design from Porsche.

Then, new Mercedes E-class did not get any fans here. IMHO, it is not very best looking car-BUT, far from beign plain ugly as some members here claimed.

I do not think so.  7 series and 5 series do NOT look very similar to you? OK, I guess...

The designer who can fulfill our dreams still has to be born Smiley

P.S.: Also think the A8 looks extremely conservative - indeed like a blown up A4 Smiley The interior is nice, though Smiley

MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

Gents,

P.S.: Also think the A8 looks extremely conservative - indeed like a blown up A4 Smiley The interior is nice, though Smiley

Markus,

Good point-conservative. That is the word. 99% of A8 buyers actually wants good(and conservative) looking hi-tech big limousine.

BTW, if you look at A5, TT and R8 you can not say that Audi desing is conservative or boring.

To my eyes it's not a bad looking car but like others have said it lacks any sort of wow factor. It's not particularly elegant and some details are over done. For me the problem is that  the front grill is simply enormous and almost cartoon like now. If it gets any bigger they'll need a truck cab to put it on

A8 truck.JPG

I think Audi used to make some fascinating tecnical shapes without having to resort to using cliched styling cues. The B6 A4 was a classic example of an almost Bauhaus like clean design with interesting surface tension that didn't need body creases to make light play well on it.  The A4 then lost it's clean look for the facelift before morphing into the B7 which featured the huge grill , shoulder line creases and drooping headlights.  It seems these features have now found their way onto the A8.

BMW on the other hand seemed to have taken the radical Bangle era designs and throttled back a bit by mixing elements of the E39 5 series and E38 7 series onto the latest models. I'd agree that the new 5 and 7 look similar Kreso. A case of BMW going back to the "one sausage cut in different lengths" philosophy  that worked for them in the past perhaps.

WOW Isuk - that looks actually good, just add that funny daylights and that's a winner!

Perhaps they'll give me a job

1259674702721A8 truck 2.JPG

ISUK:

Perhaps they'll give me a job

1259674702721A8 truck 2.JPG

Iain,

Bad boy-you just broke embargo for new Audi T18(T is for truck)!SmileySmiley

KresoF1:

Iain,

Bad boy-you just broke embargo for new Audi T18(T is for truck)!SmileySmiley

Oops..... guess they'll not let me onto their stand at Geneva now Smiley Smiley

KresoF1:

Hmm...

BMW 7 series is original? Huh...

From technical point of view new A8 is by far the best car in its class.

New engine will follow. Even 4.2 TDI is without competition currently. Look at the price as well, it is more then ok IMHO.

I think the new 7 series is super sexySmiley

f01005.jpgf01004.jpg

KresoF1:
    MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

Gents,

Markus,

Good point-conservative. That is the word. 99% of A8 buyers actually wants good(and conservative) looking hi-tech big limousine.

BTW, if you look at A5, TT and R8 you can not say that Audi desing is conservative or boring.

I didn't say it was bad-looking or that i didn't like it personally, its a great car from the technical point of view and the design is not "bad" it just lacks something that is not just a characteristic of the metal, its a more sentimental quality. in their attempt to make the car more conservative they lost the refinement undertone that set it apart, putting it on the same level as the a4 and a6 in the viewers perspective.

Nice Audi A4.

For the record, I do like the Panamera. And the new 7 is, in my opinion, absolutely sexy.

Lars997:

Enmanuel +1!!!

The side looks like an A6, the front like an A4. To passionless and boring. Nothing new! I hoped to see something more powerful (from the design) and passionate!

jajaja just realized i seem to be reading your mind lately Lars Smiley

Enmanuel:
    Lars997:

Enmanuel +1!!!

ok... then where is my beer haha Smiley

Wow I really expected it to be more dynamic. It looks quite a bit to understated, and I must say I hate to see the current model go. This one already it needs a more dynamic facelift...

S-klass with AMG or even the facelifted regular version is still king if you are going for the aggressive statement.

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

Lars997:
    Enmanuel:
    Lars997:

Enmanuel +1!!!

ok... then where is my beer haha Smiley

Too bad i live so far away from all the other rennteamers, i can't go to any of the meetings. but hey if anyone ever travels to the caribbean be sure to let me know so we can share a few beers. 

SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778616 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442138 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263009 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261300 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85549 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5764 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880981 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816926 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM