Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Thoughts: Cayenne Turbo vs X6

Markdsv:

Hi MKW,

Thanks for not biting on my other post, I was a bit over the top, obviously biast to my CTT. But again the suburb air suspension should make the roads better to ride on not worse, again I haven't driven much in California  so I do not know. What I do know is that I don't like concrete road much at all.

Still in love with my CTT and as the Panamera Turbo has been quoted at 72 THOUSAND Rial (about 185K$) I am sticking to my beloved CTT. Instead I have a GT3 coming in Jan (hi hi hi)

Hi Mark,

I was right!!  After your CTT purchase, I predict your next car will be a 911, but I don't expect you to go right to a GT3...Congrats.Smiley

What color are you getting?

I'm going to skip this 997.2 GT3, but I'm on waitlist for the next gen GT3.

Agree 100% with your CTT comment.  I took long trips with my family of 5 and a full trunk of luggages with the CTT.  Passing power and handling of the CTT continues to amaze me.

--

Tim

2008 Cayenne Turbo

2006 911 Club Coupe #13

2006 BMW 530xi

The "new" Range Rover Sport with the new 510 HP engine from Jaguar is also a very interesting product in my opinion. I haven't seen a price tag yet over here in Germany but I think it is cheaper than the current Cayenne Turbo, I heard something about a 85000 EUR price tag incl. 19% german VAT, this would be even cheaper than the new X5/X6 M.

Including a 3 year full warranty, it sounds very very tempting. I have no performance figures yet but I expect something in the Cayenne Turbo range.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I  had a Cayenne turbo and own right now a X6. 

It is clear that the X6 looks fresher inside and outside, the car is much younger. The next Cayenne will look fresher/better and then the next X5 ....

Regarding handling, there is a large difference. The Cayenne was heavy and you feel this weight. The X6 is maybe only 250 kg lighter but the car feels so much lighter. It is nearly like driving a sedan, let´s say Audi A6. 

The ride comfort is in the X6 with 19" much better then in Cayenne - Cayenne was to stiff. As I have now 21" on my X6 the ride comfort has gone - it is like Cayenne turbo normal modus. 

What isn´t comparable is the straight performance. There is no SUV who can beat in this the Cayenne. Twisties on the other hand X6, I like to drive more with the X6 and I feel more secure then in a Cayenne.

Someone said to compare the X6 with Panamera. This isn´t comparable. The X6 is still a SxV, in this case a SAV. The trunk space is nearly the same like you have it in a Cayenne. Four persons travel better in X6 and 5 in Cayenne. You can´t put 5 persons in X6.

--

AM

You can't compare X6 vs Cayenne.

Compare the X5 vs Cayenne.

The X6 sits between the Cayenne and the Panamera...

Look at people like RC or me, just for space reason we would not buy the X6...

Sorry SciFrog, the only thing the X6 is missing is the quarter seat in the middle! 

Which space do you mean a Cayenne offers more? No trunk space for sure!

--

AM

ALDO:

Sorry SciFrog, the only thing the X6 is missing is the quarter seat in the middle! 

Which space do you mean a Cayenne offers more? No trunk space for sure!

You may not remember the trunk space of your Cayenne anymore. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Christian, 520 Liter Cayenne (I had extra Standheizung reduces the trunk for 20 Liter, normally 540 Liter) compared to 570 Liter X6 

--

AM

Weight: 

Cayenne 2430 kg

X6 2145 kg

--

AM

ALDO:

Christian, 520 Liter Cayenne (I had extra Standheizung reduces the trunk for 20 Liter, normally 540 Liter) compared to 570 Liter X6 

How can the X6 have 570 litres with that sloppy back ALDO pls gives us a break Smiley

--
    There's only one car, there's only one Porsche

The same question did I have, too. But the trunk space is measured up to the height of the rear seats. This is equal to every SUV in Europe. So everything which fits under this line counts to the trunk space. You have to know the X6 has a wider and longer trunk space. If you don´t beleive me go on the websites and double-check it.

You are right about the storage above this line, there is less space in the X6. But do you like to drive with no chance to see anything behind? I think that this luxury SUVs are not build for carrying a lot of luggage.

Hope I did explain it to you and I hope I will get a permission from you to post in the future further facts and my opinion.

--

AM

I compared the Cayenne and the X6 back to back (had a X6 5.0i for a weekend) and I can fit much more luggage into the Cayenne. The trunk space in the X6 is not very good for large suitcases but may fit some bags nicely. I really don't know how BMW claims 570l for the X6 trunk because it seems much smaller, especially when you actually fill it. 

Regarding weight: you can't compare the X6 Diesel to the Cayenne Turbo.

Better compare the X6 5.0i to the Cayenne Turbo. I also remember that not only the Cayenne Turbo doesn't have the weight Porsche is claiming but also the X6 5.0i.

The test car I read about had a weight of slightly over 2400 kg, I don't remember but I think it was Auto, Motor und Sport.

Regarding the driving perception: throttle response feels much better in the X6 5.0i, I liked it, especially when the engine is warm. The chassis of the X6 felt sportier than my Cayenne but when driven hard, the DSC of the X6 came on pretty fast, so effectively, I was slowlier than with the Cayenne Turbo S. The facelifted Cayenne with PDCC is actually quite a curve lover, you just have to make sure you really push it hard. Otherwise it feels a bit lazy.

--

exactly that's the point. when comparing the 50i to the cayenne turbo its har to tell which is really the better car from the drivers seat.

now put up the upcoming X6M against the cayenne turbo and the outcome will be devastating for the cayenne.

the 50i really has almost absolutely no lag !

i also have to agree that DSC is a bit too upfront.....i sometimes ask myself why DSC intervened with what i am doing.

maybe the cayenne 2 will reclaim the spot of top power SUV. at the moment though, i don't see that happening. porsche have been too conservative in the past few years...and now with the PAG / VW turmoil things could actually get worse.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

porsche have been too conservative in the past few years...and now with the PAG / VW turmoil things could actually get worse.

On the contrary I expect Porsche to be more focused on performance and sportiness within VW. Now they are forced to be all things to all people sometimes.

The PAG/VW cannot drag on for very long, because time cannot wait for Porsche with their huge debt and reduced sales. The have to make a deal asap.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

just stumbled upon this test by driver's republic.

q7 vs x6 vs cayenne turbo vs ml63....

x6 makes a pretty strong case....and pls remember usa entry price is 66k $ !!

dr0490026fg.png

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

even though i've read good things about the range's jaguar derived 510hp engine, i believe the range rover will be an underperformer.

chassis wise these cars are not up to standard anymore. good looking and luxurious they are but technically and mechanically not very stout.

my brother has a range and nothing but trouble with the air suspension. car was flat due to blown hoses many times. just not reliable and too many electronic glitches.

--

Again above, X6 vs Caynne.

X6 is closer to a station wagon IMHO...

bmw is 93hp shy of the cayenne turbo and manages the same lap time. impressive.

--

ALDO:

The same question did I have, too. But the trunk space is measured up to the height of the rear seats. This is equal to every SUV in Europe. So everything which fits under this line counts to the trunk space. You have to know the X6 has a wider and longer trunk space. If you don´t beleive me go on the websites and double-check it.

You are right about the storage above this line, there is less space in the X6. But do you like to drive with no chance to see anything behind? I think that this luxury SUVs are not build for carrying a lot of luggage.

Hope I did explain it to you and I hope I will get a permission from you to post in the future further facts and my opinion.

you have now got my permission to post Smiley

--
    There's only one car, there's only one Porsche

I drove by the Land Rover dealer yesterday in my new city and decided to stop. I sat in the different models they had. I sat in the top-o-the-line supercharged "autobiography" limited edition stickered at $105K

The smell of the new leather was incredible only surpassed by the 599 smell-wise. Yet like the 599 really chintsy carpet.

Anyways it's not worth anything close to 100K but the interior trim was very nice and the drivers view commanding but almost like being in a green house.

Got to give the X6 the overall win in high end SUV's. 

2010 RR Sport Smiley

Land_Rover-Range_Rover_Sport_2010_800x600_wallpaper_0c.jpg.jpeg  

that's starting to look japanese.

--

intouch1:

bmw is 93hp shy of the cayenne turbo and manages the same lap time. impressive.

Over the years, for some reason the BMW 'horses' seems stronger than others. It's almost like BMW underrates their engines.

I've not driven the X6 because only four seats put me off.

I had the X5 M Sport SD and was underwhelmed by the drive despite having the adaptive drive option. I was much more impressed with the previous model. I was also disappointed with the mpg which returned about 21-23 on combined routes against an expectation of 30mpg. At that level of economy I'd rather have a petrol engine so I switched to the Cayenne Turbo S. Not more economical I know but it does what is says on the tin.

The drive is much tighter with a greater sense of what is happening at each wheel, yet it stills provides a comfortable ride.

--

Paul

996 GT3 RS

997.2 C2S Cab

Money Saving Guides: www.prudentminds.com

I tested a X6 against my CTT a few months back and was very unimpressed, granted it was a 3.0 diesel so well down on power but the ride was very hard and non-adjustable and I just hated the gear thingee. The handling was pretty good but in the real world the CTT walks all over it due to adjustable suspension, ride height variation and off road ability - yes some of us do actually use our SUVs (I live in New Zealand after all). The CTT is the all time unbeatable package, others may be faster, handle marginally better but none have the all round ability and completeness of the CTT. I am on my third and look forward to the new gen. If only they could have used VTG.....

--
    ++++++++++++++ 07 Cayenne Turbo Black 07 911 Turbo Black 08 Cayman S PD1 Black

K1:

I tested a X6 against my CTT a few months back and was very unimpressed, granted it was a 3.0 diesel so well down on power but the ride was very hard and non-adjustable and I just hated the gear thingee. The handling was pretty good but in the real world the CTT walks all over it due to adjustable suspension, ride height variation and off road ability - yes some of us do actually use our SUVs (I live in New Zealand after all). The CTT is the all time unbeatable package, others may be faster, handle marginally better but none have the all round ability and completeness of the CTT. I am on my third and look forward to the new gen. If only they could have used VTG.....

K1, your are a person to my liking, although I have been a BMW enthausiast my whole life, my past experience doesn't come close to the joy I have with my CTT. The CTT is a much better ride compared to the new (E70) X5 or X6, the latter I tested with the 4.2TT engine, ok BMW's in cabin technology is better but the drive itself was uninspiring, cold and not wat I expected having driven the 4.8is (old model) for many years. Indeed the CTT gives me the ability to go to Yity beach (7km of mountain dirt/gravel track to get there) I would never have atempted the drive with my X5. The CTT ability to increase the ride hide in combination with low gear is fantastic.

I am thinking about keeping my CTT now and have the GT3 (mk2) for track daysSmiley

Cheers,

Mark 

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

Mark, that would be sublime, the GT3 mk 2 sounds like the real deal. I think too many people get caught up with the absolute speed handling issue with an SUV forgetting that a super saloon like a S63 or M5 will do it all better if you don't need the ground clearance or traction!

I regretted buying a 911TT and not a GT3 due to bad advice from my dealer and a bit of overhang from the old GT3 put me off but I now have two cars that do the same job. The recent road tests make me want the new one even more! Wanted to trade the 911 on a Ferrari CS but finances didn't allow unfortunately and the GT3 RS my dealer promised did not eventuate. I think your combination is ideal and that plus a 430 Scuderia forms my ideal dream garage.

What colour did you choose for the GT3 and hope you are getting PCCB?

K

--

mardsv, the X6 50i has a 4.4 twinturbo.

i too owned a cayenne turbo (450hp) and was very happy with it. it made no sense to me to go with the facelift as it did not have anough 'news' to offer. hence i chose the X6 50i.

it really is more fun to drive than the cayenne turbo. the bmw has absolutely no turbo lag and the engine/exhaust note is far better.

the ride is great and the suspension is fantastic.

the X6M will have even the cayenne gen 2.0 beaten.

i am a porsche nut through and through but between gen 1 cayenne turbo and X650i, the X6 is simply the better car.....

--

intouch, I think the issue is that you haven't tried the facelift car. I changed to it and was amazed at the difference which was in two main areas. Handling and gearbox software. The new PDCC is a revelation, the car handles flat and is so much better. My wife and I used to find the old car a bit of a chore on the trip from Christchurch down to Queenstown which is twisty and where the new car is a dream. The second point is the shifting which in sport mode is much more responsive to kickdown where the old car needed a much bigger prod of the throttle to react. I would not write it off before trying it.

Mark, just saw that you are in Muscat and can see why you need something now that will handle the rough stuff. I only spent a few days there but seemed to be similar to here in that you really need something with actual SUV abilities although we have more water to contend with here in NZ.

--

Intouch,

Opinions differ but K1 is absolutely right as there is a hugh difference in car handling between the Mk1 and Mk2 CTT. The Mk2 is a real improvement on gearbox smoothness, power delivery and car characteristics (fully agree again with K1). OK, I haven't had a go in the X6 or 5 M cars and I am sure they will drive beautifully but the non 'M' cars don't come close to the sheer power of the CTT (Mk2).

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

Hi K1,

Aha you are in beautiful New Zealand, a dream I hopefully will materialize if the opportunity rises. Me and my family are currently on a posting to Oman and have another couple of years to go but then.............. I was in New Zealand in 1992 and traveled from the 90mls beach to bluff, we did a AJ Hacked bunchy jump in Queenstown and the shutover jet was very exciting (hi hi hi)

How many years ago did you visit Muscat? Indeed there used to be a lot of dirt roads and the main Sultan Qaboos Highway is only 4 years old. Sultan Qaboos is very good for its people and country and the roads are much better (wish the driving behavior of the locals was better). The whole reason for Joanne to go for a Land Cruiser and I the Cayenne is being less likely to be hurt in a crash, there are lots of vender benders in Muscat as people basically cannot drive. The big 4x4's give us a good overview while driving and people tend to more respect big cars (less cutting in etc). Obviously the 4x4's could roll what in it self is very dangerous but if you keep to the speed limit the risk is very low.

The GT3 color is not cast in stone as yet, I have currently white but not sure yet...............

Cheers,

Mark

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777137 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441670 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262772 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260940 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85200 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5565 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880636 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815908 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM