Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari F450 out in October

REALZEUS:

Autocar seems to agree with Rossi that it is going to be a stunning new design. The only thing that crossed me is the demise of the F1 transmission. The double clutch unit may be smoother but I doubt it will be as fast or as brutal as the F1.

Link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/238150/
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Someone at Fchat said, the new car will still have the F1 transmission. This was said by a Ferrari official. Well, I don't know what to think. Surely the F1 is more racebred, brutal and in its latest iteration (Scuderia) very, very quick. But yet I think DCT/double clutch is the transmission of the future, so I would be surprised to see an "old" F1 in the brand new car. What also concerns me is, how long does a transmission like that of the Scuderia last? Formula 1 technology may be fine, but I don't want to have Formula 1 replacement rates (and costs BTW).

--

Back again!  Smiley

REALZEUS:

Autocar seems to agree with Rossi that it is going to be a stunning new design. The only thing that crossed me is the demise of the F1 transmission. The double clutch unit may be smoother but I doubt it will be as fast or as brutal as the F1.

Link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/238150/
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Double Clutch trannnies are inheretly faster than F1 - the next gear UP is already engaged. When you tap the button, all you're doing is "switching off" the lower gear. Your shift time is only take the amount of time for the lower gear cog to fully disengage.

Brutality is over rated. I've driving in both a first gen F1 in a 355 and a first gen SMG in BMW ... the word POOP and unecessarily harsh comes to mind if not shift in all but the nicest fashion.

--
    ...the only thing stopping you, is you!

In theory double clutch transmissions should be faster but even the best do not achieve 60 ms like the Scuderia does! The Scuderia does this by changing cogs even before the clutchg has been engaged/disengaged (like a professionl driver can do in a good manual without using the clutch). Hence the time to upshift or downshift is minimised and can be lower than the double clutch systems as changing cogs (less mass) can be easier than engaging clutch plates.

I agree with Rossi on the reliability part but I think it is a worthwile sacrifice for the absolut best. Hope the lads over Fchat are right and that the F1 box survives.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

AFAIK the DCT of the California does the gearchange in 50ms, hence a tad quicker than the F1 of the Scuderia. Smiley
    --

Back again!  Smiley

Could be mate but Ferrari never released the actual time so I don't really know about the California.
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

dual clutch is superior to f1.....but it's also heavier due to the 2 sets of gears.

no frying clutches either.....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

dual clutch is superior to f1.....but it's also heavier due to the 2 sets of gears.

DCTs in fact have two clutch assemblies, as their name implies, but only one set of gears just like other transmissions.
    The additional weight of a DCT compared with an otherwise comparable manual shift transmission is caused by the second clutch and release mechanism and maybe the more complex arrangement of these two clutches around the two concentric drive shafts.

--
    fritz

REALZEUS:

In theory double clutch transmissions should be faster but even the best do not achieve 60 ms like the Scuderia does! The Scuderia does this by changing cogs even before the clutchg has been engaged/disengaged (like a professionl driver can do in a good manual without using the clutch). Hence the time to upshift or downshift is minimised and can be lower than the double clutch systems as changing cogs (less mass) can be easier than engaging clutch plates.

Since modern car transmissions are generally of the constant-mesh type where all the gear sets making up each of the gearbox's ratios are permanently engaged anyway,  the old expression "changing cogs" is only used figuratively. The synchroring / dog clutch assemblies which actually engage the ratios have relatively little inertia. Smiley

What in your view would prevent a Scud transmission from locking up completely if one gear  is pre-engaged before the previoust gear is disengaged, since the two gears do not have separate drive shafts and clutches like the PDK. Smiley

--
    fritz

A Ferrari engineer (I think it is also mentioned on their official website) explained in a publication that the reason the F1 is that quick is that it actually shifts gear while the clutch is being engaged/disengaged and does not wait for the clutch to disengage, then shift to the next gear and then engage again. The system works in parallel and not sequentially if you like. What I like with the F1 is that it gives you savagery. I don't like auto-style smooth gearchages in a hard core sportscar.
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    What I like with the F1 is that it gives you savagery. I don't like auto-style smooth gearchages in a hard core sportscar.

And that savagery has resulted in people having to replace the clutches of their F1 transmission cars within 20,000 km.    Smiley

--
    fritz

fritz:
    intouch1:

DCTs in fact have two clutch assemblies, as their name implies, but only one set of gears just like other transmissions.
    The additional weight of a DCT compared with an otherwise comparable manual shift transmission is caused by the second clutch and release mechanism and maybe the more complex arrangement of these two clutches around the two concentric drive shafts.

--
    fritz
    you are right, hence Doppelkupplungsgetriebe.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

REALZEUS:
    A Ferrari engineer (I think it is also mentioned on their official website) explained in a publication that the reason the F1 is that quick is that it actually shifts gear while the clutch is being engaged/disengaged and does not wait for the clutch to disengage, then shift to the next gear and then engage again. The system works in parallel and not sequentially if you like.

That is not the same thing as the rather remarkable  properties you attributed to the Scud transmission in your other post above. Smiley

Can we take it  that the other views that you have expressed with such firm conviction and vehemence, for instance,  re  the merits of Ferrari cars compared with the McLaren F1, etc., are also just based on something some unnamed Ferrari engineer has explained in some unnamed publication, or similar? Smiley

--
    fritz

fritz:
    REALZEUS:
    What I like with the F1 is that it gives you savagery. I don't like auto-style smooth gearchages in a hard core sportscar.

And that savagery has resulted in people having to replace the clutches of their F1 transmission cars within 20,000 km.    Smiley

--
    fritz

To be expected in a Ferrari (and most supercars for that matter)... it's not like supercars buyers are cash strapped... Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

fritz:
    REALZEUS:
    A Ferrari engineer (I think it is also mentioned on their official website) explained in a publication that the reason the F1 is that quick is that it actually shifts gear while the clutch is being engaged/disengaged and does not wait for the clutch to disengage, then shift to the next gear and then engage again. The system works in parallel and not sequentially if you like.

That is not the same thing as the rather remarkable  properties you attributed to the Scud transmission in your other post above. Smiley

Can we take it  that the other views that you have expressed with such firm conviction and vehemence, for instance,  re  the merits of Ferrari cars compared with the McLaren F1, etc., are also just based on something some unnamed Ferrari engineer has explained in some unnamed publication, or similar? Smiley

--
    fritz

On that last count, most definetely not! The views about the Enzo vs F1 that I have expressed are well documented and I have provided links and figures, unlike some of our fellow rennteamers. Smiley About the transmission, I failed to make myself clear in the first place and clarification was the purpose of my last post, even though this is what I meant all along.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Here is Roberto Corradi, Ferrari Product Development Director, talking about the California. At around 2:07 mins he starts talking about the DCT gearbox and states that it can shift much faster than the F1 box and can in fact achieve a 0 millisecond shift as gears are always preselected by clutches on each opposite shaft.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=233655&Page=7&CT=V

ISUK:

Here is Roberto Corradi, Ferrari Product Development Director, talking about the California. At around 2:07 mins he starts talking about the DCT gearbox and states that it can shift much faster than the F1 box and can in fact achieve a 0 millisecond shift as gears are always preselected by clutches on each opposite shaft.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=233655&Page=7&CT=V

Well, now we only need to know, if the DCT will make it in their sportier cars like the F430-successor for example or if they'll only use it in cars like the California. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

I am still uncertain as to the advantage of the DCT over F1. Speed, reliability?Smiley

I assume the DCT would cost considerably more to manufacturer  and replace?Smiley
    Smiley

--

nberry:

I am still uncertain as to the advantage of the DCT over F1. Speed, reliability?Smiley

I assume the DCT would cost considerably more to manufacturer  and replace?Smiley
    Smiley

--

speed AND reliability.....only downturn for the moment is weight...
    --

nberry:

Smiley

--

DCT gearboxes a la PDK or M-DKG are service free designs(NO clutch or fluid replacment at all in gearbox lifetime). Therefor technically speaking their design is stronger material wise then good manual or sequential manual. In fact most sequential manuals are artificially pushed to very upper limits of reliability.

YES. Manufactures cost are bigger and replacement cost as well since you CAN NOT service DCT. If it goes you need to replace it. Average lifetime of DCT should be in area of 200.00km-300.000km depending on your driving style. Just, some people needed to replace their DCT(DSG) on VW Golf GTI V after only 45.000kms due to failures. In the mean time most of production problems of DCTs were cured and right now it should be problem-free. If controlling software is done right DCT is much, much better thing then any sequential manual(Scud F1 Superfast included). It merges good manual and automatic at the same time and it works very, very nice indeed. Current SOTA in DCT development are PDKPorsche-made with ZF) and DCT in California(made by Getrag).

Kreso, your guess for the F430 replacement: new DCT from California or still F1 Superfast from Scuderia? Smiley
    --

Back again!  Smiley

Rossi:
    Kreso, your guess for the F430 replacement: new DCT from California or still F1 Superfast from Scuderia? Smiley
    --

Back again!  Smiley

Excellent question!Smiley

Just, not an easy one... Let's look at things more in-depth... Audi introduced new R8 V10. Awsome car BTW and I will probably buy one-manual version. R Tronic although improved(90ms shifting speed in Sport mode) is far from something like PDK... IMHO same story about Scuderia F1 Superfast, it is on limit of reliability. Remember what happened to AMS test example of Scud? Ferrari stuff repaired everything except Superfast... It needs new gearbox... After 5400km of measurements and abuse by AMS stuff...

New 997.2 Turbo will hopefully have PDK as well so, IMO for F450 DCT is a MUST. Getrag DCT in California is on the same level as PDK, just tuned little differently... Just imagine F450 with DCT with five settings(winter, city, sport, track and CST off), latest gen of e-diff, DFI NA V8 with 500ps and maximally 1500kgs. Put me on the waiting list immediatly, even without knowing the final looks and even if it would cost 220K €!

KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    --

Back again!  Smiley

... Just imagine F450 with DCT with five settings(winter, city, sport, track and CST off), latest gen of e-diff, DFI NA V8 with 500ps and maximally 1500kgs. Put me on the waiting list immediatly, even without knowing the final looks and even if it would cost 220K €!

Yummy! But the top must come down.

--

KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    --

Back again!  Smiley

Just, not an easy one... Let's look at things more in-depth... Audi introduced new R8 V10. Awsome car BTW and I will probably buy one-manual version. R Tronic although improved(90ms shifting speed in Sport mode) is far from something like PDK... IMHO same story about Scuderia F1 Superfast, it is on limit of reliability. Remember what happened to AMS test example of Scud? Ferrari stuff repaired everything except Superfast... It needs new gearbox... After 5400km of measurements and abuse by AMS stuff...

New 997.2 Turbo will hopefully have PDK as well so, IMO for F450 DCT is a MUST. Getrag DCT in California is on the same level as PDK, just tuned little differently... Just imagine F450 with DCT with five settings(winter, city, sport, track and CST off), latest gen of e-diff, DFI NA V8 with 500ps and maximally 1500kgs. Put me on the waiting list immediatly, even without knowing the final looks and even if it would cost 220K €!

Kreso,from my source you can go on the waiting list :) weight not far from scuderia's weight

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    --

Back again!  Smiley

Exactly my thoughts. Smiley

Hope you are right... Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

andrea:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    --

Back again!  Smiley

Kreso,from my source you can go on the waiting list :) weight not far from scuderia's weight

--

Andrea, your source really says DCT? Would be great. In Fchat somebody said still F1, I hope he's wrong and your source is accurate. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

Rossi:
    andrea:
    KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    --

Back again!  Smiley

--

Andrea, your source really says DCT? Would be great. In Fchat somebody said still F1, I hope he's wrong and your source is accurate. Smiley

My source kept a bit of mistery around...he told about a great improvement...we will see :)

--

Back again!  Smiley

--

Great improvement sounds promising. Smiley
    --

Back again!  Smiley

Rossi:
    --

Back again!  Smiley

NOT IMHO if it means F1 Superfast. If F450 will feature F1 Superfast I am not interested in it at all. DCT is a must IMO. Next Generation of R8/Gallardo will have DCT, Porsches as well...

KresoF1:
    Rossi:
    --

Back again!  Smiley

NOT IMHO if it means F1 Superfast. If F450 will feature F1 Superfast I am not interested in it at all. DCT is a must IMO. Next Generation of R8/Gallardo will have DCT, Porsches as well...

I think absolutely the same. Great improvement is DCT for me, F1 Superfast is NOT an improvement IMO. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

rossi... after owning my scuderia for 5 months, i am still soooo impreseed with the superfast 2, and i would soooo be happy if they carry it on on the 450, the gearbox is the best part of the scuderia! you so feel you are in a racing car, and thats the impression of each person that comes with me for a ride.. on the opposite, every dct i drove was a total disaster in terms of feeling! GTR, pdk porsche, dsg... all of the were simply  sensation free FASTER AUTOMATIC GEARBOX . 

i hope ferrari will be able to make on the 450 a dct that gives feeling and mechanical feel.. but i honestly doubt 

--
    09 Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804231 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448777 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266444 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90182 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6794 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886162 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834717 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM