Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2009 Automobile of the Year: Nissan GT-R

Here is the Motor Trend link

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/112_0901_2009_motor_trend_car_of_the_year_winner_nissan_gt_r/index.html 

The Super in Superiority

The last time a Nissan, at least one that came from an official U.S. showroom, was judged against such niche exotics as, say, a Ferrari or aLamborghini was...never. Until now.

The GT-R puts Nissan on a map that thus far only designated Maranello, Sant' Agata, Munich, and Stuttgart as points of interest. Well, it's time to stick a tack on Tochigi. In the kingdom of supercars, the GT-R positively belongs. Be it comparing 0-to-60 sprints, quarter-mile times, 60-to-0 braking, or lateral acceleration, the GT-R is one of the world's best. Don't believe us? Its cornea-melting 0-to-60 run of 3.3 seconds is quicker than that of the BMW M6, the Porsche 911 GT2, the Lamborghini Gallardo LP-560, and the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. It even manages to run door to door with the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano and the Corvette ZR1. Quarter mile?

At 11.5 seconds at 121.0 mph, it is quicker than both the M6 and the SLR, and only a blink or two behind the rest. Further, the GT-R halts from 60 in just 102 feet-better than that of all but the GT2 and ZR1-and sticks to the skidpad with 1.00 g of lateral vigor, again in the realm of the others. Perhaps better yet, the GT-R puts up those thrilling stats while still delivering 16 mpg city/21 mpg highway and ULEV-II emissions. Only the GT2 sips less fuel and none exhales through greener tailpipes.

So how does it do all that? The list is long (see "Fast Facts" on Page 6), but the GT-R's core elements make it happen. For starters, it employs a handbuilt V-6 that uses plasma-coated cylinder bores to ensure optimal efficiency and twin IHI turbochargers to produce 480 horses. (That said, our GT-R dynamometer test from June 2008 revealed horsepower is really around 507.)

The V-6's partner in lap time, a hand-assembled dual-clutch automatic transmission, delivers a nearly uninterrupted flow of torque. To optimize weight over the rear wheels and offer minimal load shift during acceleration, braking, and cornering, the GT-R is the world's first all-wheel-drive production car to feature a rear-mounted transaxle. Feel like a round of caliper-smoking hot-laps? Its Brembo brakes are worthy of any track, even the infamous Nurburgring, where they helped the GT-R lap quicker than the GT2. And to provide a rigid, aerodynamic, precise, and relatively lightweight body-at 3891 pounds, the GT-R weighs less than an M6-its brutally elegant shape ingeniously meshes steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. 

--

This comparison sums up the GTR and its closest competitors.

--

Greetings from Singapore,

After seeing a black GT-R up close for the first time tonight I must say that it is a very striking machine. Stunning, and sounded powerful even just off idle.

Hi everybody, you can now find the videos and feature online..

http://www.drivers-republic.com/features/

Hello guys

I think is a good ideia to create a GT-R Board Smiley

PG

SteveD:

Hi everybody, you can now find the videos and feature online..

http://www.drivers-republic.com/features/

Another proof of how awesome the GT-R is.

So the privately owned GT-R was only 7 seconds slower than the press GT2. The GT-R was also on the slower Bridgestones.

Amazing piece of auto sport journalism...

congratulations to DR people

Smiley

Comparing GTR with GT2 is a victory for the GTR project..comparing Nissan to Porsche is another victory for the Japanese..

About the times..who cares ? Smiley

PG

Excellent Piece of work DR!!!

Should you not also compare the GTR to a 997tt? That would certainly create a baseline study on the actual differences between the 2 on the ring times. This would then shut them all up once and for all.

The GTR's equivalent is the 997tt. The GT2 is way beyond its league, in terms of actual power output, weight, 2wd/4wd and price! 

So Harris doesn't believe that the GTR is anywhere close to making a 7:29 lap. This pretty much settles the "cheating" question for most of us save for AUM. 

Thanks for posting this excellent link.

Of course 7s are a huge gap on the NBR. However, I must say that the GTR result is quite impressive.  For that price there is definitively no other car with a similar performance Smiley 

On the other hand: your Test confirms that Nissan lied about the GTR all day long. This car will never do a 7.29. Nissan fans should avoid buying this car for this single reason: Nissan tries to fool potential customers. In certain cases they were even successfull...

eclou:
    So Harris doesn't believe that the GTR is anywhere close to making a 7:29 lap. This pretty much settles the "cheating" question for most of us save for AUM. 
    Exactly, and I think this is what it is all about. While it is true that the GT-R is a great performer (not as fast as a GT2, but probably the turbo) the advertising and false claims that Nissan did was just plain wrong.

--

Great result for the GT-R considering it was equipped with the Bridgestones instead of the Dunlops and the Porsche was a press car.

Just read the entire report. Your test is really a great achievment - and the write-up is of 100% premium quality SmileySmileySmiley

P.S.: The format in which the test is presented on the screen (including those little videos) is just perfect - reads like a magazine on paper Smiley 

gangajas:
    Great result for the GT-R considering it was equipped with the Bridgestones instead of the Dunlops and the Porsche was a press car.
    Did you actually read the test? The Porsche was tested against the factory claims and was actually slower. Thus, no "press car". Also, the test summary clearly states that the GT2 is significantly faster (based on this test teams's perspective) under all conditions (even if the GTR came with other tires). The GT2 clearly won the test Smiley

Great job SteveD, great read!! The handling impressions of each car under each circumstance was very insightful. And the handling of each on the damp surface was very interesting too. Finally the GT-R being put to the test  in the ring, but now I guess Nissan is going to tell you guys to take a driving lessons too SmileySmiley

SN: There are two typos that sneaked into the text. Page 6 second line "0-100mph time of 7.4sec". And page 17 in the text of the green dot " and v.slippery"

--

Those gulable souls that believed Nissan's 7:29 marketing stunt must feel pretty silly right now  Smiley ... can't believe there were countless pages on the forum on discussing the 7:29 lap time, it was so obvious I still can't believe people believed it Smiley

This is the second time they have done this (don't we remember the R-33 GT-R's ring lap time 10 years ago?) Smiley

Can't wait for the supertest too, though I still have a feeling Nissan won't be very helpful Smiley

Wow, this really want to make me go out there and order a GT-R.  I never thought a GT-R could be faster than a GT2, but I think it confirms that the GT-R is a monster and will be faster than a 911 turbo anywhere (except in a straightline perhaps).  Impressive.

If you check my posts on the 7.29 time you will see I never accept any manufacturer claims. They are obviously always suspect. I like hard evidence from independent authorities. Well done DR for providing more of that!

If you also check all the other magazine tests and analyze the data and you will see that the GTR lives up to the hype. 

WAY:
    Wow, this really want to make me go out there and order a GT-R. 

WARNING: If you finally get a GT-R please be careful not to use the launch control feature because it could potentially damage your advanced, hi-tech japanese gearbox.

If you are in doubt that you will be able to withstand the temptation, please wait until next year, when this dangerous feature will be deleted by Nissan Motors, a responsible company. 

That's ok reginos because I would still be well and truly faster than your 997 at any track without every using the launch control. Smiley

Btw, I spent a day on a race track with 8 different 997.2 this week, and I still think the PDK switch is dumb.  And yes, I have (and have had) a few cars with the more traditional paddle set up.

WAY:

That's ok reginos because I would still be well and truly faster than your 997 at any track without every using the launch control. Smiley

Btw, I spent a day on a race track with 8 different 997.2 this week, and I still think the PDK switch is dumb.  And yes, I have (and have had) a few cars with the more traditional paddle set up.

That's good to hear that you will not need the LC.  One problem gone, but still be careful not encounter other reported problems, likeoverheating the engine or consuming your brakes and tyres too soon.

As regards paddles, I can see your point if you have been using a different system for a long time.

For me, because I have not been accustomed to "non-PDK paddles", I do not have a different reference point to make things awkward. And it works perfectly!

MKSGR:
    gangajas:
    Did you actually read the test? The Porsche was tested against the factory claims and was actually slower. Thus, no "press car". Also, the test summary clearly states that the GT2 is significantly faster (based on this test teams's perspective) under all conditions (even if the GTR came with other tires). The GT2 clearly won the test Smiley

Yes, "press car" because it was a press car. That means that the car is well maintained and that Porsche made sure that that particular car is, let's say, not worse than other GT2s.

Really, I don't really get why some of you see this as a victory for Porsche.

Btw could SteveD say if the the cars had new tires and the mileage and stuff like that?

WAY:
    Wow, this really want to make me go out there and order a GT-R.  I never thought a GT-R could be faster than a GT2, but I think it confirms that the GT-R is a monster and will be faster than a 911 turbo anywhere (except in a straightline perhaps).  Impressive.

Don't do it. The GTR might keep up with a 997TT (pre-FL, after the FL next year the 997TT will be a much better performing car...) for 1-2 laps. However, the high weight and the (my perspective) low quality of the car (gear-box, brakes, ...) will show you soon why the GTR is so cheap.

The price/quality ratio iof the GTR is fine. However, if you have the money (and don't need the interior space offered by the GTR) the 997TT is the better car. Just my humble opinion.

Walter:

Did you read the summary of the test? Also, you might check the lap times Smiley Both exercises will clearly answer your above question Smiley

Walter:
    MKSGR:
    gangajas:
    Did you actually read the test? The Porsche was tested against the factory claims and was actually slower. Thus, no "press car". Also, the test summary clearly states that the GT2 is significantly faster (based on this test teams's perspective) under all conditions (even if the GTR came with other tires). The GT2 clearly won the test Smiley

Yes, "press car" because it was a press car. That means that the car is well maintained and that Porsche made sure that that particular car is, let's say, not worse than other GT2s.

Btw could SteveD say if the the cars had new tires and the mileage and stuff like that?

The term "press car" implies that the test car was somehow special. Clearly this is not the case as the test explicitly states that the GT2 used was *slower" than factory claim...

MKSGR:
    WAY:

Don't do it. The GTR might keep up with a 997TT (pre-FL, after the FL next year the 997TT will be a much better performing car...) for 1-2 laps. However, the high weight and the (my perspective) low quality of the car (gear-box, brakes, ...) will show you soon why the GTR is so cheap.

The price/quality ratio iof the GTR is fine. However, if you have the money (and don't need the interior space offered by the GTR) the 997TT is the better car. Just my humble opinion.

Would your opinion change if I said that it will not be used on the track other than say once or twice a year track day?  I have a track car so I won't be buying a GT-R for the track.  Of course I will bring it to the track once in awhile as it would be hard to resist not taking such a quick car to the track!  And although a 997.2TT would always be a consideration, in this economic climate it's best not to overspend where not necessary (won't say no until I drive it though!). Smiley  Any new car I buy would preferably have a back seat as I have a baby.  I just feel like buying a quick 2+2 in the next year that I can enjoy and have the baby in it when I want to.  911 is always the default choice but 997.2 just feels so similar to my 997.  This is where cars like Evora and GT-R really interest me!

WAY:
    MKSGR:
    WAY:

Would your opinion change if I said that it will not be used on the track other than say once or twice a year track day?  I have a track car so I won't be buying a GT-R for the track.  Of course I will bring it to the track once in awhile as it would be hard to resist not taking such a quick car to the track!  And although a 997.2TT would always be a consideration, in this economic climate it's best not to overspend where not necessary (won't say no until I drive it though!). Smiley  Any new car I buy would preferably have a back seat as I have a baby.  I just feel like buying a quick 2+2 in the next year that I can enjoy and have the baby in it when I want to.  911 is always the default choice but 997.2 just feels so similar to my 997.  This is where cars like Evora and GT-R really interest me!
    Agreed, if you would not use the GTR on the track the brakes, gear-box etc. will be absolutely fine. However. 1 track day might already be enough. I am saying this as my 599GTB is really not well suited for certain GP track types (like HHR, Lepizig etc.). The car ruins the tires each time I use it. Also, the brake pads wear much too quick. These heavy cars are simply not suited for GP type tracks. You cannot believe how much better a GT2, GT3 or even 997TT is suited for such events Smiley

MKSGR: 

Did you read the summary of the test? Also, you might check the lap times Smiley Both exercises will clearly answer your above question Smiley

It clearly answered the question about Porsche's claim. it's not quite the 20 second difference they wanted us to believe in.

It's also clear that the Nissan showed once again that it is the superior product. It costs less, it's easier to drive, it has more comfort features and despite being heavier, less powerful and less track focused it managed to keep up with the GT2. 

MKSGR:
    The term "press car" implies that the test car was somehow special. Clearly this is not the case as the test explicitly states that the GT2 used was *slower" than factory claim...

I have yet to see a test where the GT2 is faster than the factory claims. If you know one, please show me.

The GT2 is 7 seconds faster than the GTR fitted with Bridgestones. Fitted with Dunlops the GTR is 5 to 7 seconds faster - making the GTR and GT2 about equal. 

This actually seems to validate the Nissan claim for the GTR. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802494 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448327 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265883 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89891 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6368 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885266 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831789 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM