Crown

Forum - Thread

997 GT3 MKII info from W.Rohrl

A forum-friend meet rohrl in italy during a rally classic event last friday.

He spoke  with him about FL gt3 and walter told him:

Schedule September 2009 - GT3 RS less than 1 year later and few mods

3.8 L engine

435hp

NO pdk,only manual

New rear wing that allows 100kg of downforce

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Re: 997 GT3 MKII info from W.Rohrl

thanks for the info andrea.  looking forward to its release.

andrea:

3.8 L engine

435hp

NO pdk,only manual

--

Thanks for the info.  I guess now the questions are:

1.  Is this motor built on the A91 platform?

2.  Will it have any additional oiling features (dry sump) from the 997.2 Carrera?

3.  Will it have DFI?

4.  Will it have the same 8,400rpm redline as GT3 MkI (if not, will Ti Conrods still be used)?

5.  What is torque rating and curve?

6.  If GT3 MkII has motor based on A91, will GT3RS have motor based on GT1/964?

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

I think its a major step down if the 997 gt3 mk2 can't be specced with pdk....I'm sure by Sept 09 it will come with pdk and sport chrono package....of course as an option.

On the other hand if a gt3 997 with 435bhp comes with pdk and may be sport chrono plus, is probably in the 997 gt2 department from 0-100kph.....

--

andrea:

I understand the form follows function issue but I quite like the differentiation in rear wings between the GT3 and the RS.

I kind of understand why the early spy shots showed the GT3 with an RS rear wing now.

--

Check out my Gallery

andrea:

3.8 L engine

435hp

NO pdk,only manual

--

Thanks, just manual is good for me, I have driven the PDK C2S yesterday and I just want manual for my GT3!

Grant:

andrea:

3.8 L engine

435hp

NO pdk,only manual

--

2.  Will it have any additional oiling features (dry sump) from the 997.2 Carrera?

3.  Will it have DFI?

4.  Will it have the same 8,400rpm redline as GT3 MkI (if not, will Ti Conrods still be used)?

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2
    Yes I forgot to write...DFI engine

--

andrea:
    Grant:

andrea:

3.8 L engine

435hp

NO pdk,only manual

--

3.  Will it have DFI?

--
    Yes I forgot to write...DFI engine

--
    Thanks again.  If the new motor has 200cc more displacement and more compression (DFI) but only has 20hp more, I would conclude that the redline is lower (since it has less HP/Liter).

--

good observation.

Perhaps (hopefully) this is just market-engineering to stratify the specs, not the true limit of the DFI engine's operation...?

Otherwise this could be a step backwards.

We can confirm it: the 997 GT3 MkII and GT3RS MkII just got a green light, they're coming.

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

We can confirm it: the 997 GT3 MkII and GT3RS MkII just got a green light, they're coming.

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Great news!

Can't wait to know more about the GT3 RS mk2.

Model Year 2010?

IMO any premium car should have a good auto option in today's market, be it of the PDK, the Automated manual, or the torque converter variety.

I understand why some of you are dedicated manual drivers, but the choice should be there because there are as many if not more buyers preferring two pedals.

Porsche, being the masters of marketing they have become, will not allow such oversight and omission. 

With modern electronics the GTs'  PDK could be tuned to work and feel very differently from Carrera's and with the addition of different modes that suit track driving better.

Let's wait and see.

Any idea about the price increase compared to the MKI?

RC,

You said the mk2 is coming , fine BUT as owner of 997 GT3 mk1 , I would like to know if this is coming with or without pdk.

This is the only thing which can force me to sell the car from now on.

20 more HP and DFI is not sufficient enough to change it.

PDK will be!!!

To my mind, if porsche is not implementing PDK in GT3, this is much more than a step down : this is really to say :

"Hey guys sorry, we are just here to sell sports car, not real true sport car any more".

They are late with Ferrari on sequential and it will increase if they don't do this.

Please give your input in the possibility of PDK or not

Thanks.

--
    997 Carrera S Triple Black Sold now ... Good car 997 GT3 triple black wow what a car !!!

thierry:

RC,

You said the mk2 is coming , fine BUT as owner of 997 GT3 mk1 , I would like to know if this is coming with or without pdk.

PDK will be!!!

To my mind, if porsche is not implementing PDK in GT3, this is much more than a step down : this is really to say :

"Hey guys sorry, we are just here to sell sports car, not real true sport car any more".

They are late with Ferrari on sequential and it will increase if they don't do this.

Thanks.

--
    997 Carrera S Triple Black Sold now ... Good car 997 GT3 triple black wow what a car !!!
    No need to rush - the Mk2 version will only be available in about 9-12 months time. More and more infos on the Mk2 version will be available over the next months. If I were you I would enjoy the Mk1 version until it becomes clear which benefits Mk2 will provide. It will not be a problem to get a Mk2 car if you should want one in the future Smiley

Agree with Markus, current and future economic outlook means getting hold of cars like GT3, Scud and or even M16 scud (what a stupid name!) won't be a problem.

Back to the next GT3, I think it actually makes perfect sense that it won't be introduced with PDK.

If you think about it, Porsche is quite a predictible company in terms of products (appart from the GT that stunned us all in Paris 2000).

PDK is the successor to Tiptronic and the GT3 was never introduced with Tiptronic, so I don't see what it should be introduced with PDK.

Even though I'll concede that PDK is more efficient than Tip, it's still a super Tip and lacks the sportiveness of a proper sequential.

If they do though, and I hope they do, it's nice to have a choice as a client, I hope they offer something better than the current steering wheel controls which are rather appaulling really. Tried one again two days ago and I messed up. Sure you could get use to it but can't be bothered.

I'd love to see a proper sequential stick in the next GT3. Quite high so it'll sit right next to the steering wheel, pull it for upshifts and push it for downshifts! 

Like the Cup car!

thierry:

RC,

PDK will be!!!

Thanks.

--
    Even if NO PDK, the new GT3/RS wll be way faster than the Mk1. Don't forget the Mk1 GT3/RS just as fast as the 996 GT3/RS Mk2!

i 100% agree that tip and gtx should never mix, and i think PDK is that far away from tip that it's ok to mix.   

we heard early on the gt3 won't have PDK and the RS will (hopefully in an appropriate form and agressive setup)

if the engines 3.8 + DFI then hopefuully the power number given was an 'at least' number so as not to let the cat out of the bag.   it would have to be 450 minimum!

When is the estimated date the car will make its debut?
    --
    Go Flying Lizard Motorsports!

Jay:

we heard early on the gt3 won't have PDK and the RS will 

Then I'd prefer a non-RS GT3 with sunroof delete :-)
    --

If it means that the gt3 rs will be a lot more focused/racy than gt3 it makes sense and ir good.

This puts the gt3 as the great sports car and the gt3 rs as the track/racecar that can also go in the road.

This way they will be quite different and address 2 different costumers.

--
    "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Jay:

i 100% agree that tip and gtx should never mix, and i think PDK is that far away from tip that it's ok to mix.

we heard early on the gt3 won't have PDK and the RS will (hopefully in an appropriate form and agressive setup)

if the engines 3.8 + DFI then hopefuully the power number given was an 'at least' number so as not to let the cat out of the bag. it would have to be 450 minimum!

Whilst I agree that 450bhp would be nice to have in the fl, I doubt we'll get that much.  The history of Porsche power upgrades between models would point to it being closer to a 20BHP increase.

Maybe the more important question will be how much weight will it loose. We need to look at both the power increase & the amount of weight thats trimmed. 

Alex18_996CC:

I think its a major step down if the 997 gt3 mk2 can't be specced with pdk....I'm sure by Sept 09 it will come with pdk and sport chrono package....of course as an option.

On the other hand if a gt3 997 with 435bhp comes with pdk and may be sport chrono plus, is probably in the 997 gt2 department from 0-100kph.....

--

Unfortunately for some of you guys the new GT3 will in fact not come out with the PDK option. Even Porsche themself do not think that the characteristics fit a strip down track car like the GT3.

After driving a carrera with PDK i have to say i completely agree with that...

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

I think the problem is that Porsche has been caught up by time and no find themselves short on time for developing modified PDK compatible with the characteristics of the GT3. The GT3 is the holygrail, it's THE 911 and Porsche don't want to offer a PDK not matching up to it's dedigree. 

An absense of PDK will annoy the hell out of those wanting to get the most out of their GT3, but for the real enthusiast it won't matter because in the end the GT3 is about pure and traditional driving pleasure. The manual will be high appreciated as some sports car on the market only come with SMG and double clutch transmission. If someone refuses to buy GT3 mkII because it's lack of PDK then they are truly not in the market for a GT3.

...Even Porsche themself do not think that the characteristics fit a strip down track car like the GT3.

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

Please explain what is so strip down about a GT3?

All this talk of the cars with PDK not being "real" Sports-cars is nonsense...by that rationale a 360 Challange Stradale isn't one either, nor is Audi R10 (race-car) or etc...

The only concern right now is weight and programming...they can fix the programming but the weight is another issue.

--
    Thanks, MJSpeed

they might present it in geneva

Having owned a 997 GT3 and driven a PDK, I would prefer the MKII to remain a standard shift. Current PDK set up simply does not lend itself for the car.
    --
    Off enjoying my car...

After giving it a lot of thought, I don´t know what I would want to change on the GT3. I know that progress must go forward, but it´s very hard to think of something. It´s pretty easy to say "I want more power", but I think that it has enough of it already. When you have a good quality road and the car is fully warmed up, what can you fault?

I am playing with the chassis setup now and I found that every few minutes of deflection in toe and camber make a notable difference, in fact it is very notable. The difference between a good set-up and a bad one makes it out to be a dead car or a car that feels as if it´s alive and breathing with you and the road.

more power will be great, but I was hoping for 450 range after DFI...

MJSpeed:

...Even Porsche themself do not think that the characteristics fit a strip down track car like the GT3.

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

Please explain what is so strip down about a GT3?

All this talk of the cars with PDK not being "real" Sports-cars is nonsense...by that rationale a 360 Challange Stradale isn't one either, nor is Audi R10 (race-car) or etc...

The only concern right now is weight and programming...they can fix the programming but the weight is another issue.

--
    Thanks, MJSpeed

are u serious about the question what is so strip down about the GT3? Have u ever driven one? There is a huge difference between the characteristics of a carrera s or even turbo and the GT3... from suspensions, engine layout, aerodynamics etc... just is a completely different car. 

comparing PDK with the Ferrari F1 single clutch sequential gear box or the racing sequential gear box of the Audi LeMans car is just not logical to me either...sorry...

PDK is very cool! but its more the best working auto gear box then a sporty racing gear box to me. when one really knows how to drive a perfect stick shift like the one in the GT3, why would he ever wants to have PDK... (IMO) 

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802557 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448354 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265905 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89908 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6386 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885301 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831964 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM