Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

shudder and bang?

Very cold here in Chicago, about 1 degree. I had my 2006 Carrera C2 out most of the day. Although cold it was clear, dry and sunny. Went to dinner tonight and noticed something odd in the parking lot. When I crank some steering into it to back up or pull forward in a tight turn I get sort of a shudder and banging sound. The shudder almost seems like the front tires (19" XXR(?) the Mimi Lite looking ones)are pushing...but we are talking SLOW speeds, like walking speed. Backing up the "bang" almost sounds like a locked differential but from what I understand the car doesn't have posi traction. Driving the car at speed is fine, everything is perfect. Is this normal? Just the low profile summer tires on a 1 degree day?? I also noticed limited traction from a start. Just rolling into it easy the tires spin and hop a bit. That I can attribute to the cold (was -7 when that happened).

Re: shudder and bang?

take the car to so. california. crg

Frozen brakes

Or at the very least the calipers are stuck to the disk. It's fairly common and nothing worth worrying about. In very cold weather a couple of weeks ago I drove two cars left over night on the dealer's lot and they both did exactly what you described.

The other much bigger issue is not driving on winter tires. Frankly in Chicago NOT fitting them makes you certifiable. I'm not joking! Call up Tire Rack ASAP!

Sound like you are running summer tires, not snow tires. Summer tires practically freeze solid at the temps we've been having, hence the shuddering when cranking the steering wheel.

If you are driving the car year round, invest in a set of winter wheels/tires. Even if you don't drive it in the snow, you need the winter tires' rubber compound to get any kind of grip in this weather.

Stay warm!

Trust me I'm not crazy. The car had less than 200 miles on it, it was VERY COLD but bright and sunny. No snow, no real sand or salt. I just had to get some miles on it....4,000RPM is killing me. So I took it out, drove it and now in just 1,576 miles I can truely enjoy it.

Tom

P-cars are equipped with summer tyres, NOT all-season tyres! Summer tyres are actually dangerous in winter, however pristine the streets are. Even in my area where it rarely gets below freezing point and almost nevers snows, proper winter tyres are a must. Actually, I think they are recommanded at temperatures below 7*C / 44*F.

As others have already mentioned, get winter tyres ASAP before you get into an accident (and the insurance refuses to pay up).

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    P-cars are equipped with summer tyres, NOT all-season tyres! Summer tyres are actually dangerous in winter, however pristine the streets are. Even in my area where it rarely gets below freezing point and almost nevers snows, proper winter tyres are a must. Actually, I think they are recommanded at temperatures below 7*C / 44*F.

As others have already mentioned, get winter tyres ASAP before you get into an accident (and the insurance refuses to pay up).

What others? This is daft - stock tyres are fine for anything but the most severe conditions. In fact, I enjoy slippery road surfaces where you can 'play with the tail' at lower speeds.

If we used Winter tyres in the UK whenever it was below 7 degrees, we'd have them on and off like a whore's draws!

If we used Winter tyres in the UK whenever it was below 7 degrees, we'd have them on and off like a whore's draws!

Good call john H

I'm not 100% positive about the 7*C figure, but I do remember it struck me a ridiculously warm when I first heard about it.

As I was living in mild SW France before, I had not thought about getting winter tyres when I moved to Stuttgart. I rose the issue with a Porsche colleague (chassis development), who not only told me it was a definite must in Stuttgart, but also strongly recommanded in SW France (where 7*C is about the February average).

I'm going to heed his advice when the 997 Targa arrives (haven't ordered yet, still pondering whether I should wait for PDK or not). Since summer tyres last about 7 months and winter tyres 5, it's actually more convenient.

Obviously, there is a tolerance margin (for UK and French drivers ). But the point is, one should never use summer tyres below freezing point. Especially since we're talking real Midwest winters here, not mild winters like you get in the UK.

I suspect the original poster is using Fahrenheit, in which case +1 degree F = -17C, and -7F = -22C. If so he really needs winter tires.

Also, if you are parking with the handbrake on, sometimes the rear pads freeze to the rotors. Their breaking free is probably what caused the bang you heard. This can even happen in warm weather when you wash the car with the handbrake on and let that thin film of rust form before you move the vehicle.

mcdelaug

+1 degree F

Yep it was that cold here, and that was without windchill which took it to about - 10 degrees F. And yes you do need winter tires, no question. In the UK you really don't need them because it doesn't get that cold very often - just damp and grey most of the time.

Living in a cold climate, the 7C number bothers me a lot. During the winter months my car is stored because of the salt, sand and higher risk of accidents. However come mid-march when winter is hopefully over, the car goes back on the street.

From mid march until mid may, there will be many a day where it will be nice, but where the temperature will be less than 7C, especially in the morning and evening.

Last spring and fall I did some experimentation and did find that traction is reduced fairly dramatically in these cool, but above freezing temperaturs (2/3C). Very noticable when coming to an aggresive stop and feeling the ABS kick in.

At one point I called Michelin and asked them what was the acceptable temperature range of the PS2's. They could not answer me, other than to say they should not be used in the winter.

There is no question that the tires work better at warm temperatures, but from experience, the car/tires are safe above freezing as long as you don't push it. Maybe it is my paranoia, but if the temps are below 7C, I drive the 911 as I would my winter car leaving lots of room for things to go wrong. So far this has worked well with no white knuckle moments.

I would be interested to hear how many UK drivers drive with summer tires all winter long. Having lived in the UK, I know that winter has many a cold morning. My friends in the UK that have 911 seem to drive them with summer tires and don't think twice about it.

Quote:
    TheOldMan said:
    I would be interested to hear how many UK drivers drive with summer tires all winter long. Having lived in the UK, I know that winter has many a cold morning. My friends in the UK that have 911 seem to drive them with summer tires and don't think twice about it.

I've never used winter tyres on any car in the whole of my life so far. Can't say I've ever thought once about it leave alone twice!

Making allowances for prevailing conditions is all important however.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    TheOldMan said:

I've never used winter tyres on any car in the whole of my life so far. Can't say I've ever thought once about it leave alone twice!

As a result, UK traffic comes to a standstill on those rare occasions when there is any real winter weather. In countries where you can count on having such weather, the cost of winter tires on a second set of wheels is much lower than that of the disruption resulting from not having them.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    TheOldMan said:

As a result, UK traffic comes to a standstill on those rare occasions when there is any real winter weather. In countries where you can count on having such weather, the cost of winter tires on a second set of wheels is much lower than that of the disruption resulting from not having them.

Never been caught out like that either, maybe luckily.

Look - if the weather is that bad, I wouldn't take the car out anyway. What do you do? take 4 spare wheels with you in case the weather changes! In a 997 there's no room for one leave alone four.

It's okay for countries where weather forecasting is more accurate, but I think the real key words you use are "those rare occasions"

Climatic differences

Britain has rapidly changing and often unpredictable weather. In the US it's much easier to predict and therefore plan. If you live in NE, Midwest, or Rocky Mountains you KNOW what weather you're going to get and that makes it worth having a spare set of wheels and tires.

In the UK I wouldn't bother as it a) never gets that cold for any worthwhile length of time b) anytime you might want to drive fast on a country road there's a nice little yellow speed camera lurking around the corner that will spoil the fun, so grip in cold weather wouldn't be a problem c) even if you're on a motorway like the M25 you're probably only doing 15 mph in nose to tail traffic anyway so hardly worth the bother of even thinking about it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803265 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448587 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266146 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6615 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885747 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833330 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM