Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche & Lawsuits

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Brunner side airbags are a red herring and you know that. The car isn't any more dangerous because of the lack of side airbags.

It IS: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news03/side_airbags.html
    So you're not going after Ferrari for not installing a device that's known to save lives, but you're suing Porsche for making a car that obeys the laws of physics.

Quote:
    All top high performance sport cars have stability management systems including Porsche. Porsche chose not to install it in the CGT for ONLY ONE REASON. TO ENHANCE PERFORMANCE.

Let's see what the competition got:
    Enzo: ASR
    Zonda: ASR
    SLR: ASR

CGT:ASR
    It seems they installed exactly what the other 'high performance' manufacturers did, so what's your point again?
    We've seen just as many (in percentage) Enzos, SLRs and Zondas crashed, even before Ben's accident, but for some reason i'm sure you'll never sue them...

Quote:
    Regarding how Ben's accident occurred, it is no skin off my back if you choose to believe the TV report.

Ben and Corey died because of high deceleration, not because they were injured by car pieces protruding the passenger compartment. A speed way below 100mph is not enough to cause such a deceleration, imho. But that remains to be investigated...

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Just been watching the Olympic downhill skiing from Italy.

How's that relevant to this thread?

Just the fact that I can't imagine any of those guys even dreaming of suing the ski, boot, binding, pole and/or goggle manufacturers when they have one of their accidents!

Fritz, we already decided that this suit is fueled only by greed

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Brunner side airbags are a red herring and you know that. The car isn't any more dangerous because of the lack of side airbags.

It IS: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news03/side_airbags.html
    So you're not going after Ferrari for not installing a device that's known to save lives, but you're suing Porsche for making a car that obeys the laws of physics.

Boy, Nick just digs himself in more and more...

Its a real disappointment the stand he is taking in this issue.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Boy, Nick just digs himself in more and more...

Yeh, can you imagine how desperate you'd have to be to appoint Nick to argue your case?

You'd have to have such a bad case that you'd have nothing to lose, and take the attitude that you might get lucky and have a jury so dumb it didn't see through Nick's flim-flam, and a weak judge who lets Nick get away with murdering the evidence.

Nick would have check that no rennteamers get through jury selection, because we all know him too well.

Here in the US we have jurys of our peers. Here we have judged for the last few days and Nick you have not convinced your peers. Therefore we have judged Porsche NOT Guilty. Case closed.

Quote:
    dan996 said:
    Here in the US we have jurys of our peers. Here we have judged for the last few days and Nick you have not convinced your peers. Therefore we have judged Porsche NOT Guilty. Case closed.

All we need now is for the judge (moderator) to close the thread!

Quote:
    dan996 said:

Can we execute Nick now? Just kidding.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    dan996 said:

Can we execute Nick now? Just kidding.

Didn't think much of that joke, Alan.

Now, as a serious proposition it would have had a lot of merit!

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    These cases are not at all about public saftey, they are purely about money. It really sickens me when lawyers and their clients hide behind these paternalistic cloaks when their real motive is economic. If lawyers really wanted to stop people from hurting themselves with fast cars then they would lobby Congress to pass a law requiring rev limiters so that the cars could not exceed say 80MPH. But of course they will not do that because then they would go broke with nobody to sue (or in Nick's case, nobody to defend).

Excellent points there U Boat.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    And what proof would there be that PSM would have made a difference in this case. Probably none.

Certainly that will be the issue. If it would have made a difference, would that change your mind or anyone else?

Brunner, to my knowledge the Enzo, Zonda and SLR do no have the spin out tendency that the CGT obviously has. When professional F1 driver spends an entire morning spinning out to get one good lap time in really stands out. Couple that with what the rash of incidents and the great W. Rorhl crashing one or two the car is downright scary.

Nick, my Cayenne was one of the first in the San Diego area. My manual mentions only front airbags.

Uboatcommander, given what has been occurring in mergers and acquisitions lately, isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black? We are piker's compared to the hosing you give shareholders.

Carlos, control your hot Spanish blood and let the case play out. If Porsche settles or loses in court you can stick your head in a bucket of water and hopefully cool off. If Porsche skates free, they can continue to build cars for buyers who have a death wish. But what the hell, they will enjoy getting there.

Fritz, some time ago I represented ski binding manufacturers. Yes, they are sued and pay handsomely. The injuries are horrendous.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Brunner, to my knowledge the Enzo, Zonda and SLR do no have the spin out tendency that the CGT obviously has.

Just one small detail... to my knowledge you have not driven a SLR, Enzo or Zonda to know that nor I don't believe you to be capacitated a a driver to be able to make such a statement even if you did, so your knowledge on that matter is ZERO! and yet you do not hesitate to make claims based on ZERO knmowledge of the fact

Quote:
    nberry said:
    If Porsche skates free, they can continue to build cars for buyers who have a death wish.

People with a death with buy Porsche??? this comes from a someone that drives around town in a brand new car without side airbags and an open-top?? or that used to drive a F360 without an electronic stability system or with a tendency to Bar-B-Q the passengers in a serious acccident?? Yes italian sportcar makes are world reknown for their innovations in car safety and safety consciuos constrution, while the German sportcars are known for the opposite ... what a hypocritical world we live in ...

Quote:
    nberry said:Uboatcommander, given what has been occurring in mergers and acquisitions lately, isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black? We are piker's compared to the hosing you give shareholders.

Nick: I don't know what you're talking about here but since it's sooooo off topic how about you send me a PM if you wish to continue this discussion. On a personal note, I don't even work on public M&A deals.

Carlos in my mind the evidence is over whelming.

On a relatively slow course the Stig a F1 driver spun the CGT a number times to extract a timed lap. He subsequently drove the Enzo around the same track without incident and beat the CGT time.

It is reported that Jay Leno (an experienced driver) lost control in a short straight away and spun several time thankfully not hitting any barriers. His experience is very reminicent of what happened to Ben and Ben was going at a slower speed.

It is reported that W. Rorhl after taking a test drive, come in with an ashen face and INSISTED the car be equipped with some safety features.

This car was designed for Le Mans and only after seeing some commercial prospects they detuned it and sold to non-professionals. Also, maybe Porsche recognize the designed was not suitable for Le Mans.

Recently a CGT was sold by a Porsche dealer to a buyer who told them he did not know how to use a manual transmissions. What more do you need to open your eyes?

BTW, my reference regarding death wish was related to the CGT and the widowmaker(GT2). Not the other Porsche's. The Turbo remains as one of my favorite but ugly cars

Lads lads..

Some of the above does read horrible but dont rise to the bait that Nick puts out , his on another one of his wind ups..

Simple ! ..

throt..

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    And what proof would there be that PSM would have made a difference in this case. Probably none.

Certainly that will be the issue. If it would have made a difference, would that change your mind or anyone else?

Nick, in this case, it wouldn't change my mind. I'll tell you why.

The reason Porsche did not include PSM on the CGT is strictly because of performance, not because they intentionally have withheld a safety feature, knowing that it would cause more accidents. There is no negligence here in my opinion because of it.

Can I use an analogy with you? What if a gun manufacturer discovered that they can cut down on accidents in the home if they enabled an additional safety device involving a sophisticated digital combination lock before the safety can be turned off. And that discovery was documented by an employee somewhere. Is that gun manufacturer now liable if they don't implement it and someone in the future is harmed or killed because of an accident?

On the other hand, what if this gun manufacturer found out that when the hammer strikes the bullet, there have been cases of the gun malfunctioning, thereby causing great harm. That is definitely a case of negligence if the manufactuere knew this and did nothing about it. Most reasonable people on this board will probably agree. Can you see which of these two scenarios our CGT accident would fall under?

In the Ferrari F430, there is an option to turn off the equivalent of PSM (CST). In fact, the ability to turn off CST is provided because it allows the F430 to be driven on "the track". It is expected that the driver use this CST mode to turn off the stability and traction control when you use this car on the track. That's what it's for. Of course, you can swith the manettino to whatever setting you want. Now, if someone loses control of their F430 on the track because of switching off CST, is Ferrari liable or the driver? If you answer no, continue reading.

In the case of the CGT, there is no equivalent of PSM. Since we are all talking about Ben's accident with his CGT then can we all agree as reasonable that Ben knew full well that his CGT did not have PSM? The history of his contributions on various Porsche forums will show that his expertise on this car is beyond anyone. Isn't this the same as driving a high performance car with the stablity control turned off (CST in F430 switched off). I believe so. So is Porsche liable in this case? I don't believe so.

Lastly, even if PSM was included on a CGT, do you think that PSM would be turned on or off in the case of this accident? We don't know. So how can Porsche be liable in this scenario?

Now, Nick, if you were open-minded, took your attorney hat off, and looked at the overall picture, you would see that there is no gross negligence here. Since you are looking at it from an attorney's point of view, I understand that you have to look at every possible angle in order to best represent your possible client. However, that's the problem and it's not really your fault, your just doing your job. But from the 10,000 foot level, it just looks like a money grab. Otherwise, you would concentrate on going after the other driver who might have cut Ben's car off or even the track which set up the concrete barriers in such a way that skidding off the track caused maximum impact. If I recall, the concrete barriers at that specific location were almost perpendicular to the path of a car that lost control from the track through the grass and onto the concrete barriers.

Anyways, can you at least see how the vast majority of posters on this thread and probably the public in general sees this?

Keep in mind my entire career has been spent defending defendants and not Plaintiff cases. I am intimately aware of the concerns many of you have. I harbor them myself.

However because of my defense experience, I also know that often the moral rage expressed is badly misplaced. You all are conviced that Porsche makes a bullet proof car and in the event of an accident it is always the fault of the driver. Sorry, I am not there yet. Let the facts play out with respect to the CCT and hopefully justice will be done.

Thats the way Nick and more pro like ..

throt..

In San Diego its not too difficult to salt a jury with a few bleeding hearts, rich white liberal safety nazis and or their useless surf punk pot head kids to help sway the outcome of a verdict.

There was one person responsible for the tragedy, and that was the track worker who signaled the Ferrari to enter the track. That caused Bens accident, not the CGT itself.

If Ben had been going 130mph in a Volvo S80 with Ralph Naders business card taped to the dashboard he still wouldnt have been able to overcome the physics of it all.

Was Ben's CGT ever out of control that day? NO.

Did Bens's CGT that day spin out and cause harm to anyone
    before the incident? NO.

There were no injuries until the random idiocy of human error intervened in the form of the trackworker who sent a Ferrari onto the track right in front of Bens speeding car.

The plaintiffs lawyers have gotten high on wishing the facts to match the deepest pockets.

If this sad incident had happened only a few miles away in Mexico, the track worker would already be in prison and the
    idea of suing Porsche over that guys mistake would be laughed out of court.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    In San Diego its not too difficult to salt a jury with a few bleeding hearts, rich white liberal safety nazis and or their useless surf punk pot head kids to sway the outcome of a verdict.

There was one person responsible for the tragedy, and that was the track worker who signaled the Ferrari to enter the track. That caused Bens accident, not the CGT itself.

If Ben had been going 130mph in a Volvo S80 with Ralph Naders business card taped to the dashboard he still wouldnt have been able to overcome the physics of it all.

Was Ben's CGT ever out of control that day? NO.

Did Bens's CGT that day spin out and cause harm to anyone
    before the incident? NO.

There were no injuries until the random idiocy of human error intervened in the form of the trackworker who sent a Ferrari onto the track right in front of Bens speeding car.

The plaintiffs lawyers have gotten high on wishing the facts to match the deepest pockets.

Something tells me that if the track was owned by Wal-Mart, or if the track worker was Bill Gates, the attorney's would have a different target.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    You all are conviced that Porsche makes a bullet proof car and in the event of an accident it is always the fault of the driver. Sorry, I am not there yet. Let the facts play out with respect to the CCT and hopefully justice will be done.

Nick: Quit over-generalizing the positions taken on this board. Nobody has said that "its always the fault of the driver" or that Porsche makes a "bullet proof car."

Clearly, there are risks when driving a car like the CGT at high speeds. Both Ben Keaton and his passenger knew full well what these risks were and Ben fully understood that there was no PSM on the car. The question is who should be responsible when somebody gets injured or killed when engaging in this inherently dangerous activity. And I think what most of us are saying is that is should not be the manufacturer. As a matter of public policy I don't think that car manufacturers should be held responsible for not installing every possible safety feature on a car. I don't evenhear you saying that Porsche should have installed a roll cage on the CGT.

And as Alan pointed out, Ben surely would have disengaged the PSM if is was on his CGT. I just don't know how you can make the causal connection between Porsche's decision not to install PSM and Ben's death. I'm just not seeing it. Ask yourself, is it more likely than not that if the CGT had PSM Ben would have survived?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Carlos in my mind the evidence is over whelming.

I can't argue with that... in YOUR mind it may be, however that is not the case in the real world. You make false claim after flase claim, mistake the facts time and time again,

Quote:
    nberry said:
    On a relatively slow course the Stig a F1 driver spun the CGT a number times to extract a timed lap. He subsequently drove the Enzo around the same track without incident and beat the CGT time.

Do you know who the stig is? there is not one single stig, but the most comon one was a Sport Prototype driver.
    The CGT comes with a variable setting rear sway bar, on the Top Gear test it seems it was set on the most oversteering setting BTW.
    I have seen profesional drivers spin front wheel drive sedans... so whats your point, is that your "evidence"

Quote:
    nberry said:
    It is reported that Jay Leno (an experienced driver) lost control in a short straight away and spun several time thankfully not hitting any barriers. His experience is very reminicent of what happened to Ben and Ben was going at a slower speed.

"reminicent" in your imagination, cause everything is supposition in your part. This may be a shocker to you but real sportcars tend to oversteer.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    It is reported that W. Rorhl after taking a test drive, come in with an ashen face and INSISTED the car be equipped with some safety features.

Its an image building anecdote for the press and were you say "some safety features" waht Rorhl actually said was "Traction Control", which the CGT is has. More great evidence...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    This car was designed for Le Mans and only after seeing some commercial prospects they detuned it and sold to non-professionals. Also, maybe Porsche recognize the designed was not suitable for Le Mans.

Another flase statement. The CGT was not designe for LeMans Nick only the ENGINE was. The CGT was desingned from the bottom up as a street car and only the engine was carried over.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Recently a CGT was sold by a Porsche dealer to a buyer who told them he did not know how to use a manual transmissions. What more do you need to open your eyes?

And the responsability is who's???? not the buyers not the law's, are you saying its the dealer's or Porsche's???

Quote:
    nberry said:
    BTW, my reference regarding death wish was related to the CGT and the widowmaker(GT2). Not the other Porsche's. The Turbo remains as one of my favorite but ugly cars

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    In San Diego its not too difficult to salt a jury with a few bleeding hearts, rich white liberal safety nazis and or their useless surf punk pot head kids to help sway the outcome of a verdict. ...

I will gladly take our system of justice even though it produces an OJ verdict every once in awhile.

If Porsche does not view the lawsuit that it is holier than thou then it should not have a problem. People always hear that a lawsuit is filed or the occasional big verdict, but never hear all the other cases that are dismissed because of no merit or the big verdicts that are reduced or overturned.

The lawsuit is like an accident inquiry. Two people died in the accident. Who was really at fault will come out during the trial.

By the way, why did Jay Leno spin his CGT on the straightaway during his speed record attempt?

Carlos, there's no way of changing his mind. He's obviously decided to sue Porsche and buy himself a 599 with the profits made.
    Nick, I'm sorry that you've turned out to be a money-grabbing individual in place of a sports car enthusiast we all thought you were. I sincerely hope that you lose this case or change your mind before anything important happens.
    By the way, I almost spun a FWD Audi A6 with only 200 horsepower, when I was younger. Can I sue Audi for building a car that can spin under certain conditions?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

And the responsability is who's???? not the buyers not the law's, are you saying its the dealer's or Porsche's???

Nick, why is this the dealer's fault and not the buyer's? Unbelievable.

Not that the buyer can't learn how to use a manual on a CGT. I probably wouldn't try to learn on a CGT. But why can't the buyer take the responsiblity to learn how to drive the stick on his own, on an easier car? This babysitting, lack of personal responsibility mentality we have here in the U.S. really has to stop.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    In the case of the CGT, there is no equivalent of PSM. Since we are all talking about Ben's accident with his CGT then can we all agree as reasonable that Ben knew full well that his CGT did not have PSM? The history of his contributions on various Porsche forums will show that his expertise on this car is beyond anyone.

Exactly! I'm no lawyer, but Porsche monitors forums like Rennteam. You don't think they'll dig out Ben's posts and use this information in their favor? I cannot recall if Ben ever mentioned switching TC off, but he does mention the CGT's controllability and stability at speed. He also talked about how easy it was to put the CGT into a controlled drift "if you knew what you were doing." In addition to this, there's actually video floating around of Ben doing these antics. Me personally, I enjoyed these videos, but I'm pretty sure Porsche will not view it as this and use this as evidence, dragging the deceased's families into more agony. Why bother???

Quote:
    A430v said:...dragging the deceased's families into more agony. Why bother???

Becuase of the greed of those that actually make a living out of it

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Porsche had PSM before Ferrari had their CST.

Exactly! So, why didn't they install it on the CGT?

The Enzo has stability control and so does the SLR.

What will be Porsche's excuse? Cost?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    A430v said:...dragging the deceased's families into more agony. Why bother???

Becuase of the greed of those that actually make a living out of it

I don't understand. Because they make a living out of it? It there were abuse, there would be tort reform in this area. If they were out to get Porsche, they would file the lawsuit in a more friendlier state where they may prevail easier.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    I don't understand. Because they make a living out of it? It there were abuse, there would be tort reform in this area.

A lot of thinking people would agree that tort reform is long overdue.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Porsche had PSM before Ferrari had their CST.

Exactly! So, why didn't they install it on the CGT?
    The Enzo has stability control and so does the SLR.
    What will be Porsche's excuse? Cost?

I think you missed the post where i said that the CGT has exactly the same stability controls as the SLR and Enzo.

As for the PSM, i don't think it's feasible to install it in the CGT...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777186 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441684 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262777 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260944 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85216 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880651 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815930 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM