Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Options-- If you knew then, what you know now.

If you currently have a 997, what options would you order today which you did not order when you got your car? Also, which options would you have skipped?

Re: Options-- If you knew then, what you know now.

Would add a couple more to my upcoming Cab order.

For the Coupe I ordered: metallic paint, full leather, rear center console in leather, electric seats, self dimming mirrors, Sport Chrono, Bose, rear wiper, sport steering wheel, model delete, black dials, and Carrera Classics.

For the Cab I would delete rear wiper (obviously!), reinstate the model badging, add PSE, and add Sports Adaptives. All the rest would stay - to the obvious joy of my bank...

Would delete the stainless steel guard for the door sill. Only saw it after the order had been placed and it looks cheesy.
    I would have added the Porsche crest to the rear center console. It is stitched and looks a lot more classy than the stretched leather.

+ adaptive seats, sport steering wheel, Aerokit, ''alloy'' rear console, Sport Chrono, yellow seat belts, GT silver

- sunroof.

confused about the rims

I was in the process of compiling an order with exactly the options I wanted when I lucked into an available S on the lot at a local dealer that someone had ordered and then backed out of buying.

My order was going to be pretty simple since there aren't that many options I feel have much impact on my enjoyment of a sports car. I was going to order a C2S with Black, Arctic, or Atlas exterior, Black interior, Bose, Navigation, Power Seats, Heated Seats, PSE, sport shifter.

The available car was a Black/Black C2S, this solved my color dilemma since as soon as I saw it in person in black I knew this was the choice for me. It had all of the options I was planning to order except the PSE and sport shifter, plus it had a number of options I wasn't planning to get (Auto-Dimming Mirrors, Seat Belts in Guards Red, Exhaust Tips in Stainless Steel, Multi-function Steering Wheel, CD Changer, Parking Sensors, Colored Wheel Crests). I've had it for a month (and I'm thrilled with it), and here are my thoughts on the various options it has.

Would have ordered them, and would again: Bose, Navigation, Power Seats, Heated Seats

Bose: It's not bad ... but it's not great either. It did, at least to my untrained ears, sound better than the stock system. I would get it again, unless a real high-end system was available. I'd have been willing to shell out some serious additional $$$ for a really high-end system as a factory options since I've never been able to bring myself to let an aftermarket installer get their hands on any of my cars.

Navigation: A very nice system, easy to use and accurate. Not as good as the one in my wife's Acura MDX, but better than the new Garmin I purchased recently for my Audi A4.

Power Seats: I would think twice about get a car in this price range without full power seats. BTW, I thought I would prefer the Sport/Adaptive seats until I tried all the different options; I actually preferred the standard seats ... they seemed to hold me just as well and were much more comfortable. The Sport & Adaptive seats just wouldn't fit my shoulders right for some reason.

Heated Seats: I think this is always a really overlooked nice luxury feature that tends to be a cheap option. I hated not being able to have this in my last car (an S2000) and I'm glad to have it now on this car.

Wouldn't have ordered them, but now I like them: Auto-Dimming Mirrors, Seat Belts in Guards Red, Exhaust Tips in Stainless Steel, Multi-function Steering Wheel

Auto-dimming Mirrors: I didn't think I'd like this since the system on my '01 330i always bugged me, but this one is much better. I'd probably get it again, but if I was trying to shave option costs, I'd easily do without it.

Seat Belts in Guards Red: I wouldn't have ordered this, but I love it now. I may actually in the future add a couple of other interior pieces in Guards ... maybe gauge faces or the center console.

Exhaust Tips in Stainless Steel: They look nice, I'd get them again. But this is another one of those things that I'd skip if I was trying to shave some cost.

Multi-function Steering Wheel: I thought I liked the look of the wheels that had the round hub more, and I also figured I wouldn't bother using the controls. I've been surprised though. I've quickly grown to like the look of this wheel the best, and I use the controls all the time.

Wouldn't have bothered, and I still wouldn't: CD Changer, Parking Sensors, Colored Wheel Crests

CD Changer: I wouldn't bother. I was pretty sure I wouldn't use it, and so far I haven't.

Parking Sensors: Pretty unimportant. This car has really good visibility and it's small. Who really needs this to help them park? On the other hand, since the sensors are pretty unobtrusive now (esp. on a black car) I'm not annoyed that it's on the car. While I wouldn't bother getting it, at least it does work well. If you want it, it does do what it's supposed to.

Colored Wheel Crests: I'll probably replace these with unpainted ones. I've just never been crazy about how they look, esp. on a black car.

Options I don't have that I was planning to order: PSE, Sport Shifter

PSE: Honestly, I don't think I'm going to bother adding this now. I thought I'd really want it, but the car sounds just great as it is.

Sport Shifter: Coming from my S2000, which had about as short a shifter throw as I've ever seen on a road car, I was sure this was going to be a must-have for me. I was probably wrong though. The stock shifter does have a longer throw than I'm used to, but it's certainly not too long and it has a nice solid feel. I probably won't bother adding this either.

Is there any option I don't have that I really miss? So far, no. In fact, after a bit more than a month of driving this car, I'm convinced that if money had been a constraint and I'd had to limit options to keep the price down I could have been 100% happy with a car that had 0 options. This car is so amazingly fun to drive that all of these various extras - while nice - really aren't very important.

I have a C2 with metallic paint, xenons, power seats, colored wheel crests...

Practical add-ons I miss: auto-dimming mirrors (SUV's really can be a nuisance) and a rear wiper.

Cool add-on: red seatbelts to contrast my black interior.

The door sills on my S looked cheap. I installed SS ones; muuuuuch better.

Other than that, can't think of anything I left out. Maybe would have gotten sport chrono since now I know the stopwatch can be popped off and hidden in dash.

Quote:
    JasonF said:

Nah, they're pointlessly distracting IMO. Maybe throw in some dry cleaning, a big honkin coffee mug on the dash and an ugly radar detector with messy cord while you're at it.

Quote:
    TimN said:
    Wouldn't have bothered, and I still wouldn't: CD Changer, Parking Sensors, Colored Wheel Crests

CD Changer: I wouldn't bother. I was pretty sure I wouldn't use it, and so far I haven't.

Colored Wheel Crests: I'll probably replace these with unpainted ones. I've just never been crazy about how they look, esp. on a black car.

PSE: Honestly, I don't think I'm going to bother adding this now. I thought I'd really want it, but the car sounds just great as it is.

Sport Shifter: Coming from my S2000, which had about as short a shifter throw as I've ever seen on a road car, I was sure this was going to be a must-have for me. I was probably wrong though. The stock shifter does have a longer throw than I'm used to, but it's certainly not too long and it has a nice solid feel. I probably won't bother adding this either.

Let me add to Tim's comments. I've had my 997S for 14 months now. I've had the opportunity to drive without the PSE and sport shifter for half that time until I got the retrofit. There is no way I would go back to the standard exhaust after having PSE. No f'ing way. The PSE is the best option I've ever gotten! The sport shifter is nice, I wouldn't go back to the standard shifter either, but you do get really use to it and after a little while, you don't really pay that much attention to having it. The only problem is that when cold, the shifting into 1st is a bit a notchy. After driving for a while, it's like a hot knife throught butter.

As for colored wheel crests, believe it or not, this was the one stupid option that had me going back and forth for months while my car was on order. Now that I have it, I think it looks really sharp, expecially on a blk/blk with the yellow PCCB brake calipers. Really nice.

Lastly, the 6-CD changer was the one option I have never used before. I guess I should try it to make sure it works.

Quote:
    993 said:
    If you currently have a 997, what options would you order today which you did not order when you got your car? Also, which options would you have skipped?

At the time I had to commit to the Club Coupe order, I was still on the fence about PCCB, so I didn't get it. My concern was longevity and replacment cost should I decide to track the car. In the time between now and then, I've heard more encouraging reports second hand through my dealer that PCCB's are showing virtually no wear on the track either.

So I might, if I were given a "do-over", consider PCCB but they are still outrageously expensive. There's none of my options I would have skipped, however. So no buyer's remourse here.

Here's my options:

Everything that's on the Club Coupe--X51 (love it); thicker sports steering wheel (best interior option out there--highly recommend it as the leather is almost suede-like soft without being fuzzy); black gauges--a definite no cost upgrade for any 997 S; Sports Chrono--don't let all the "wart" hogs scare you away; get this one; Sport Design Wheels--like them and they're not too bad to clean; and oh yes--Azurro California Blue--gorgeous and it doesn't photograph well; too bad y'all cannot buy the color (at least for now).

My options:

Tiptronic (must have due to left leg physical limitations)--with Sports Chrono it's great!!!

Adaptive Sports Seats

Tip gate in leather and door finishers in leather--nice accents.

No Bose, No Nav, and No TPMS--don't miss them a bit.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    JasonF said:

Nah, they're pointlessly distracting IMO. Maybe throw in some dry cleaning, a big honkin coffee mug on the dash and an ugly radar detector with messy cord while you're at it.

wow!! mmd where did you this pic from???i love the red band on the door!what is this?porsche exclusive?

I love all my options, wouldn't give any of them back. But, if I did it over, I'd add:

PSE
    Steering wheel controls
    Rear console in leather

And maybe Nav, but the $$ for that option seemed ridiculous, and I've yet to get lost or need it for any reason.

Other than that, I'm content. I'll second pcosta's notion that the stainless sills look cheesy. J.C. Whitney used to sell (and probably still does) an accessory self-adhesive shiny sill plate, for any car, engraved with the car's name on it, for under $30 bucks a pair. The Porsche ones just remind me of those hoop-tie-mobile accessories. No, no, better yet..... they remind me of something the stereotypical Corvette owner would want....Sorry MMD!!!!

Favorite options on my '05 CabS: PSE, PSE, PSE, 19" Carrera Classics, short shifter, heated seats... WISH I HAD Adaptive sport seats and self dim mirrors...

+ auto dimming mirrors!!!! and PSE.

- Bose CD changer (can store ~150 MP3 format tunes on 1 CD).

Adaptive seats are the business. Just finished 200 miles Manchester to London (snow, frost, stop/start traffic etc.) Took 4.5 hours - no back pain and no fatigue. They really are the most comfortable car seat I've ever owned.

Auto dim mirrors are also worth the money, even if the rain sensor can be erratic.

Just wish I had the up-to-date nav DVD with TMC...but there's another story.

Gaz

- X51

Quote:
    993 said:

I would add ParkAssist, Carbon Steering Wheel, TPMS, PCCB, and X51.

MY06 997S Cab Black/Sand Beige 6 Speed

Keep everything/ Why:
    Power Seats - must for comfort
    Heated Seats - must in Cab
    PSE - WOW
    Full Leather - Nice!
    NAVI - My first and it's really cool!
    BOSE - Always want the best sound available
    19" Sport Design Wheels - I think they suit the cabs well
    Clear side lights - Best for black car
    Colored Wheel Caps - Looks a little better
    Black Floor Mats - Good contrast although shows more dirt
    Phone SIM Slot - Works OK now. Hope it gets better reception later
    Park Assist - hate to admit this but it saved my garage door once (button doesn't work until key is turned!)
    Windscreen - Used once, makes a difference but I have two kids

Add the following:
    TPMS - should be standard!
    Thicker steering wheel
    Crest in Headrests
    Leather Visors - needed in cab
    Spare Tire - Getting one next week!
    Sport Shifter

Wish I could have added:
    X51 & PCCB

Maybe add:
    Sport Chrono - No regrets after recently going back to dealer to drive one with. Take it or leave it in a manual. I want to crank the car and go. Felt odd having to push a button (PSE) to change characteristics of car. (until I made the PSE mod) I haven't used PASM in Sport mode much at all. (only to see what it did) Daily driver/Cab.

p.s. Park Assist saved more than just the garage door!

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    JasonF said:

wow!! mmd where did you this pic from???i love the red band on the door!what is this?porsche exclusive?

I dunno to answer your question. But this pic shows option "CDM Trim strip in exterior color"

There's also: CDR - Belt Outlet B Pillar Ext Clr
    CDN - Air Vent Slats Painted Ext Clr

I like the bow on the car. Matches the vents

I love Red & Black but dawg gone!... Thats ugly!

I would keep all the options I had but I would add:

Navigation (for integrated phone functionality)
    Thicker sports steering wheel (as opposed to the standard sport steering wheel)
    Embossed Porsche Crests in the headrest
    Adaptive Sports Seats with Lumbar Support
    Spacers (which I am retrofitting soon)
    Short shifter (also retrofitting)
    Full leather (including sunvisors and the area by the door handle, also the vents)

All of these items would be added if I wanted to splurge a little bit more...but if money was tight, I would keep what I had.

In addition to what I got (Bose, center console in exterior color, power seat, Classic wheel, Sport Chrono, dimming mirrors, door sill in model insignia), I definitely should have ordered:
    - Tire pressure monitor (a must, I think)
    - Thicker steering wheel (would be better for my "large" hands)

The rattle in the sunroof is annoying... If the dealer can't fix it, then I will definitely wish I had deleted it.

I think the "all leather" roof lining is really beautiful, but I am not sure it's worth it. Also, I think that the basic center console looks cheap. You got to go with the leather or the console that matches the exterior (like I did). Unlike others, I think the other stuff (X51, PSE, Disc changer) is not worth it. If the X51 was 1/3rd the price, then definitely... The extra horse power in the X51 engine is not really worth all that money. I would just rather go with the turbo when it's out and get a real jump in horses! Hope that helps!

My economy spec must haves ,,
    On Silver exterior /Black interior 997S
    1, ASS ( Love precision setting and lateral support )
    2, SC ( I feel buyers will look for it )
    3, NAV ( UK resale strength attraction )
    4, Thicker Wheel ( Better feedback/feel )
    5, TPMS ( Safety )
    6, Bose ( Resale )
    My Spec , money no object .
    All the above +
    7, SS
    8, PSE
    9, GT Silver
    10, Classic alloys
    11, Head rest logo crest
    12, Xenons
    13, Park sensor
    14, PCCB 9 ( Look awesome )
    15, Dimming mirrors

My definite no's..
    6 cd ( MP3 , No need for it at all )
    Sunroof ( Dont use them , poss rattles , no thanks )

My opinion...

throt..

throt, your gonna get the xenons in the S package already

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    throt, your gonna get the xenons in the S package already

Hahahaha , your right .

Gregg I am still a newbie , bloody useless ..

Thanks bud and all the best of luck and health in 06 ..

throt..

Haha yes but you look FABULOUS! The best to you and your family in the new year, thanks for upping the entertainment value of this board!

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    Haha yes but you look FABULOUS! The best to you and your family in the new year, thanks for upping the entertainment value of this board!

+ PCCB, rear console in leather
    - steal entry gards, thick steering wheel

Dare I admit this? I wish I had a rear wiper. I drive the car in all conditions and sometimes while backing up on rainy days it's hard to see out of the rear window. Being able to quickly swipe the water away would be nice.

I also kind of wish I had the short shifter. But that can be easily retrofitted at any time by my dealer.

Here's what did come with my car and I don't regret a single choice.
    Blue Zoomer window sticker.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803647 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448662 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266253 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90136 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6687 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885959 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833738 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM