Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997TT - New pics??

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Okay... after having time to simmer down.
    Besides the horrendous disjointed front end...
    Why is it that Porsche insults us with cheap scoops that are cut out of the rear quarter panel? Is $150K not enough money to manufacture the entire rear quarter with the scoop??? A lot of the reason Ferraris look expensive is due to those subtle touches. I Photoshop'd the image so you guys could understand what I mean.

How do you get out leaves and other stuff like cats (no kidding!) out of those if you can't remove the whole thing and get a bigger hole. Porsche is well known for putting technical stuff ahead of design. This is just another reason. I agree, it looks better how you photoshpped it but again: what happens to that little pussycat which gets stuck in this thing?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Why is it that Porsche insults us with cheap scoops that are cut out of the rear quarter panel? Is $150K not enough money to manufacture the entire rear quarter with the scoop??? A lot of the reason Ferraris look expensive is due to those subtle touches. I Photoshop'd the image so you guys could understand what I mean.

How do you get out leaves and other stuff like cats (no kidding!) out of those if you can't remove the whole thing and get a bigger hole. Porsche is well known for putting technical stuff ahead of design. This is just another reason. I agree, it looks better how you photoshpped it but again: what happens to that little pussycat which gets stuck in this thing?

Then your car can finally sound like a Ferrari (you hear that, Nick? ). *MEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM* as you are thundering down the Autobahn.
    Pussycat mod Tequipment option - $1500

Friend from Germany just called me and he said that Auto Zeitung or AMS will have official preview(with porsche press pics and specs) in next few issues...
    BTW, he works at Porsche dealership!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I missed this thread

I have to say that it looks much better than waht I expected from all the camo spyshots. The rear is just what the "Turbo" needed. Thos fog lights don't look too good but they seem like they will flow and merge with the bumper much better in person.

All in all, better (more agressive) than what I expected, and these are just the first-photo impression which is always not very favorable to a car, so "in person" it will blow people away IMO.

Now, did you guys look at the HUGE difference in ride height from the black car at night to the silver car?
    - the black car has ambar turn lights, buperettes, normal red brakes, sun roof and rear wiperand,
    - the silver car has Euro-bumper, no sun roof, PCCB and may have a X73 or -20mm type suspension...

Could the silver car be a 997TurboS?

Silver could just be X73 version in Euro trim....
    If it is 997TTS, then 997TTS would be launched simult w/997TT...why else would P leak photos 1 yr in advce??

And given 997TTS means $10K+ addtl gross profit/car to P....and P is all about profit.....and profit today is more valuable than profit 1 yr from now....

Okay, after having some time to calm myself with finally seeing the car last night and then seeing it this morning.... I am still disappointed.

PROBLEMS-
    Air scoops- I know that the car needs to be economical and it needs to have parts to be replaced readily....however, WHY- WHY!!! did porsche go with scoop inserts AGAIN!!! The inserts make the car look cheap- Ferrari has those same scoops but it puts up a screen to block out any bad stuff... couldn't they design the scoops CORRECTLY without having to use a replaceable insert? I dunno, that's a big deal for me- mustangs have that crap (though it isn't functional).

2- THE FOG LIGHTS--- okay- the little retro ish fog lights on the front spoiler on the side... WHY do they need to buldge like that?.. couldn't they have done some cool LED things like they did with that VERY VERY futuristic line with leds? The last TT didn't have fogs, what's the deal now?

3- The rear...something just doesn't flow correctly- of course I didn't wind test it, so what do I know?

Things they got right

1- That futuristic line of led lights!!!! and the like. THAT IS TOO COOL. Plus it makes the tt look exotic in that fashion.

2- the wheels- my god!? 19 and 20? or 20 and 21? bigger is better!

Other than that, I dunno... I'm sure the engine is quite adequate... the rear I don't like at all.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:

I think they did a good job with the fog light, unlike ferrrari, chevy, toyota and almost everyone else they didn't go with the multi-multi lights in one headlight pod. It is integrated well into the front fascia.

As to the back piece your p-chop looks good but maybe there is an actuator flap in there that adjusts air flow and its a mechanical housing. a long shot.

Looking more and more like a 928 everyday.

^^completely agree SoCalHoosier~~
    those scoops partition the car too much, more than its fragile design can really handle--
    of course, partitioning the car up like that has its "economic" benefits" given this is the end of the 997 line...
    what's apparent to me is how flushed-out the 998 will (should) be after seeing these 997T shots--

Re: 997TT - New pics?? *DELETED*

Post deleted by GreggT

I'm hoping for an updated Turbo look wheel, which is such a classic Porsche look. These wheels just don't do it for me.

Overall, I think that where the 997 was an improvement over the 996 in style, this is a step back. I actually prefer the look of a (lowered) 996TT. This 997TT is overstyled. Period.

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Like very often with new cars, I don't like the 'different' features.... but the more I look at it the more I start to like it. I am convinced that with a little bit of time and when I see the real thing, I will love it.

Now that is the essence of the whole thing. There has to be a "redisgn" to make it a new model (997TT). All model changes are radically different - its to promote a new image.

Let the new "image" grow on you. Now granted the fog lights suck. Give it a chance. If performance sucks, then well .... its not the greatest. But I'm sure it will really perform.

Porsches are always "different" looking. They have been since the invention of the 911. Times change, people change, cars change. Otherways we'd all be re-living the 80's - what a frightening thought.

Quote:
    RC said: what happens to that little pussycat which gets stuck in this thing?

Is that a red turbo in the background?

Quote:
    RC said:

Pulling that panel out does not do alot unfortunately......other than saving a few bucks

Quote:
    mrmckay said:
    Is that a red turbo in the background?

Looks like a 996TT with turbo twisty wheels. I hope we can order these on the 997TT.

I always thought the "turbo twist" wheels were overly feminine, organically shaped, and just flat lame. The new wheels rock, they look like pure business, more of a "precision" look, and are far less distracting to the eye than the twisting, curving old-school wheels. Good riddance, I say...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I always thought the "turbo twist" wheels were overly feminine, organically shaped, and just flat lame. The new wheels rock, they look like pure business, more of a "precision" look, and are far less distracting to the eye than the twisting, curving old-school wheels. Good riddance, I say...

I agree - love the new wheels, but not crazy about the new design of the 997TT otherwise...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I always thought the "turbo twist" wheels were overly feminine, organically shaped, and just flat lame.

Agree. I thought it was just me. New wheels should have had some recess to the spokes though.

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I always thought the "turbo twist" wheels were overly feminine, organically shaped, and just flat lame.

Agree. I thought it was just me. New wheels should have had some recess to the spokes though.

Chassis engineers trump the stylists in that regard, as they don't want recess on the spokes, because that accentuates "bump-steer". If you're wanting an optimal steering and handling setup, you want your spokes right out there on the lip, at least on the front steering wheels. To what extent that represents nit-picking of something that few would ever perceive behind the wheel, you'd have to ask the engineers. But I'm sure that Porsche's aim was to push every possible envelope to achieve driving perfection, with as few compromises built in as possible. Recessed wheels are a major functional compromise.

Everyone is talking about the fog lamps but the oval headlamps just dont do it anymore for the turbo look. They need a new design, more agressive, more angular.

They look great on the C2S but not on the turbo anymore.

The new wheels are welcome.

Quote:
    MKM said:
    Everyone is talking about the fog lamps but the oval headlamps just dont do it anymore for the turbo look. They need a new design, more agressive, more angular.

Nah, 993TT/TTS is still the best 911 aesthetically, as well.

The 3-strand/5-spoke straight wheel design ala Lambo and Ferrari on the camo-ed cars doesn't fit the 911's curvaceous lines, especially on the TT.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    MKM said:

The 3-strand/5-spoke straight wheel design ala Lambo and Ferrari on the camo-ed cars doesn't fit the 911's curvaceous lines, especially on the TT.

I disagree. The 911 is begging for some contrast, some crisp razor "edge" in the wheel to break up all the blob-i-ness in the body. The Turbo Twists looked as if they were inspired by Play-Doh. Now, they're getting back to a grittier machined-alloy look, far more purposeful and serious.. Bravo.

A curvaceous woman looks best in a pair of delicate-but-aggressive heels, not in a pair of fleece bunny-rabbit slippers. Just because she's got soft curves, doesn't doom her to comfy shoes.

Different headlamps for the Turbo?? Nonsense... I think the success of the 997 thusfar underlines the "home run" that Porsche nailed with the basic design, getting back in act of evolving the icon, rather than inventing a Frankenstein.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    MKM said:

I disagree. The 911 is begging for some contrast, some crisp razor "edge" in the wheel to break up all the blob-i-ness in the body. The Turbo Twists looked as if they were inspired by Play-Doh. Now, they're getting back to a grittier machined-alloy look, far more purposeful and serious.. Bravo.

A curvaceous woman looks best in a pair of delicate-but-aggressive heels, not in a pair of fleece bunny-rabbit slippers. Just because she's got soft curves, doesn't doom her to comfy shoes.

Different headlamps for the Turbo?? Nonsense... I think the success of the 997 thusfar underlines the "home run" that Porsche nailed with the basic design, getting back in act of evolving the icon, rather than inventing a Frankenstein.

69bossnine, well said.....

Has anyone seen any recent spy shots of the GT3? It sounds like we're disappointed with the new TT as a group...a few seem to like it but the majority are underwhelmed. I too am less than impressed. I've been considering either the TT or the GT3 but was leaning towards the TT...not anymore. I'll wait to see it but would love to see any additional shots of the new GT3 if anyone has them....thanks.

So much whining about its looks! Are you guys that anal on
    everything? Or is it just a internet forum that cause your obsessive psychosis?

I saw the pictures and was also ready to get negative about some of its design elements. I was thinking maybe that RC just has blind love for Porsche turbo power.

But isnt Porsche Turbo power the point of it all?

Who cares that it doesnt look as elegeant as a Lambo or Ferrari? Its history and DNA is from a VW Beetle, so quit deluding yourselves with dreams of a Porsche Pininfarina
    Turbo.

Porsche still includes some VW Beetle visual cues on 997s and some 914 looks on the CGT. What more could you ask for? You want their family to deny its history?

You think its gonna be slow with only 480hp? Ha ha! Check again and see where a VGT Turbo makes its power and torque compared to other engines. Goodbye Ferrari F430!

Porsche is doing everyone a favor. If they made it pretty
    the waiting list would become too long.

You should be thanking Porsche and not complaining!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    I saw the pictures and was ready to get all negative about some of its design elements. I was thinking maybe just RC has blind love for Porsche turbo power.

But isnt Porsche Turbo power the point of it all?

Who cares that it doesnt look as elegeant as a Lambo or Ferrari? Admit that its DNA is from a VW Beetle and quit
    deluding yourselves with dreams of a Pininfarina Porsche
    Turbo. Price no object, Porsche still tosses in the Beetle
    look on 997s and even some 914 looks on the CGT. What more could you ask for!

Porsche is doing everyone a favor. If they made it pretty
    the waiting list would become too long!

You think its gonna be slow with only 480hp? Ha ha! Check again and see where a VGT makes its power and torque compared to other cars.

Exactly.

If you want your 911Turbo to look like a Ferrari (or Lambo), then get in line behind Nick Berry and buy a Ferrari (or Lambo). The more I look at those "Turbo wheels," the more I see my HotWheels toy cars' wheels from childhood.

Here's a pshop I made.. black..

If Porsche wants to be succesful with the 997 Turbo, they can't just use the F430 design and add a Porsche decal to it. The 997 Turbo looks different, in my opinion even a little bit too flashy.
    Before you judge this car, try to look closely at the posted pictures and try to imagine the REAL thing. The pictures don't show a 3-dimensional picture, making it very difficult to get a precise idea of how the 997 Turbo looks.
    It really looks very good, you just have to wait until you see it live. The technical specs are a different story, I hope they are at least as spectacular (or controversial) as the design is.

RC, Forget about the looks.

The VGT will either make the car or kill it. I cant imagine Porsche making a Turbo that will not run away from its competition.

I dont care what it looks like as long its so scary fast that it makes passengers bleed from their ears and leave finger impressions on their door grab handles.

The new speedometer should tell you something!

Keep the faith!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    RC, Forget about the looks.

The VGT will either make the car or kill it. I cant imagine Porsche making a Turbo that will not run away from its competition.

I dont care what it looks like as long its so scary fast that it makes passengers bleed from their ears and leave finger impressions on their door grab handles.

The new speedometer should tell you something!

Keep the faith!

Jim, I wish I could share your enthusiasm but I'm still a little bit suspicious. Porsche has already disappointed me with one or two things in the past, I hope this isn't the third one.

what was the 0-100 mph time of the 996 turbo S ?

should be atleast .4 sec better in 997 turbo right ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779052 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442208 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263083 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261363 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85594 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5787 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881063 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817387 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM