Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Window problem

I don't know if anyone else have experience this but the window on my 997 is acting a little wierd. Sometime when I try to roll my window up, the window will drop back down as if there is an object that is not allowing the window to close completely. I then need to roll it up again in order for me to close the window completely. This does not happen often but it happen occasionally, once in a week maybe and it happens more to the passenger side. Let me know if you don't know what i am talking about. I also have 20 percent tint on window. Is it the tint that makes this happen? Anyone else have this problem?
    Also, off topic, whenever i start the car, there is a oil check thing on the little screen. What is that? Do i need to change the oil?
    Thanks

Re: Window problem

Are you monitoring the oil levels? I check the oil every other time I fill up. I believe you turn the key one click to the right (going from memory here and not in car) and then the oil check will come on and will tell you how long until it measures the oil level. It may be four or five minutes. It will then show you what the oil level is and whether or not it needs more oil. Keep an eye on this because the car uses oil in its first few thousand miles (this is my understanding at least -- I got my car used with 8,000 miles on it).

Ya, but i have no clue about what is going on while the oil check thing. I see the arrow during oil check keeps going down. I just don't get what the hell is going on. Anyway, I only need to change the oil when the car tells me to do so, right? for example, warning sign from dashboard.

About the oil level check that's normal, did it too on the 996 so I'm used to it. Should be done in about 5 secs I think.
    For your window, check with your dealer, they'll always bits and niggles on a new car.
    Mine has a faulty lumbar support on passenger side, it'll get repaired next week.
    My 996 had a false contact in the trunk which caused to alarm some concerns.
    So many electronics in cars these days, I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt, as long as the integrity of the vehicle of not at risk and the driving experience does not suffer from it.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Mine has a faulty lumbar support on passenger side, it'll get repaired next week.

Sorry I meant on driver's side, which is why it's an issue. Don't give a s*it about my passenger's lumbar actually...

If you check the oil immediately after a drive or on an incline, it 1) will take forever and 2) won't be accurate. Best to do the onboard oil check when the engine is cold and on level ground...

Wrong - the most accurate check is when the engine is up to operating temperature. The best time is when refuelling - put in the fuel, go pay for it and when you return to the car and turn the key, up comes an accurate read-out.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Wrong - the most accurate check is when the engine is up to operating temperature. The best time is when refuelling - put in the fuel, go pay for it and when you return to the car and turn the key, up comes an accurate read-out.

John,
    Not sure you're right here.
    It is indeed the case for the Turbo and GT3 because their engine have an dry sump lubrication system.

It is not the case for the 997, hence why you have to measure the oil level with the engine cold, so that the oil has fallen from the cylinders heads into the engine oil reservoir.
    With a warm engine, oil will be all around the engine pieces and hence the level meter will not give an actual reading. This is why, when you perform an oil check with engine warm, the onboard computer takes 5 minutes instead of a few seconds, to give time for the oil to fall with gravity, still too short though.

You're right in the case of the Turbo/ GT3 though. Totally different lubrication system.

John- I suggest you consult your manual ... recommended oil check tips are listed there.

I got 2 different results when I checked my engine oil before driving and after driving. I think the manual says its better to check it before driving.

Before is more accurate since the majority of the oil has made it back to the pan (and is thus available for measurement). The whole reason the oil check timer goes to 5 minutes or more after the car has been running is to provide more time for recently circulating oil to trickle back to the oilpan and reduce measurment error.

Of course a level surface is important too.

mcdelaug

Thanks mcdelaug.....

The car does not tell you when to change to oil. My 997s has only 500 miles so I am not sure but P-cars usually do not tell you when to change the oil like the BMW. Also the car measures the oil after you shut the engine off!

The manual has a very clear and concise description of when to check your oil. I check mine before I drive the car as a matter of operating routine (when the engine is cold). It takes all of five seconds and also provides a good baseline for future oil checks. As far as John H. comments are concerned, he must not be driving a 997 because his description is quite contrary to what the Porsche manual says. I would recommend that you check you car's oil level before you drive it - every time!!!!

Quote:

ajcastaneda said:
    John- I suggest you consult your manual ... recommended oil check tips are listed there.

Hi,

I have consulted my manual and, indeed, there are some contradictory recommendations. It was for this reason that I asked for clarification from an OPC service engineer. His advice was as stated in my last post. The oil level is automatically measured during refuelling and the procedure is clearly documented in the manual on page 155 (UK version) under the heading "Engine Oil Level" which states - "Regularly check the oil level using the on-board computer each time after the vehicle is refuelled"

Perhaps we have different manuals in the UK and page numbers may differ but this is what I'm led to believe is the most accurate method of performing an oil check.

Indeed, even on vehicles with dip-sticks, a 'cold read' will be less accurate in calculating when to add oil.

Quote:
    JL13 said:
    I don't know if anyone else have experience this but the window on my 997 is acting a little wierd. Sometime when I try to roll my window up, the window will drop back down as if there is an object that is not allowing the window to close completely. I then need to roll it up again in order for me to close the window completely. This does not happen often but it happen occasionally, once in a week maybe and it happens more to the passenger side. Let me know if you don't know what i am talking about. I also have 20 percent tint on window. Is it the tint that makes this happen? Anyone else have this problem?

What's probably happening is the mechanism is sensing an unacceptable amount of mechanical resistance and is rolling itself back down as a safety measure. They're designed to do that so nobody get's their hand or arm broken if the window goes up. It's possible the tinting is adding extra thickness to the glass creating this resistance at the upper weatherstrip. I'v seen tinting that has ended about a 1/4 inch before the edge of the glass and I assumed this was done to prevent this problem you describe. I dunno for sure.

I don't know what the solution is. Cut the tinting back? Try ussing the usual vinyl and rubber conditioners (Lexol Vinylex) to make the weatherstripping more slippery? If the window does not contact any weatherstripping when it abruptly goes down, I'd say the problem is in the door mechanism itself. In that case I'd just hold out and wait for it to wear itslf in; eventually get the dealer service to fix it when you bring car in for other service?

Thanks MMD, i will try your method and if problem still persist, i should better check with the dealer.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806517 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449514 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7204 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887291 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836103 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM