Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

996 GT3-RS

I was fortunate enough to get a ride in Ulf's 996 GT3-RS Friday. I was most impressed!!!

Especially, we took it quite quickly on a very bumpy "D" road which was mountainous and had a few 2nd gear hairpin corners. The car was fantastic! Totally controllable on the throttle (even over the bumps). The lack of bump steer was actually noticeable. The wheel would not shake at all as the front hit quite large bumps (unlike my Turbo and the GT3 while will move quite a bit). Turn-in was excellent.

The only negative is that the brake cooling ducks will bottom on the ground simply from compression of the suspension. They were bottoming all of the time. Obviously they will not last and something must be done (Turbo ducts maybe?).

The tyres were Corsa with additional tread depth and deeper rain cuts. Very nice! They will make nice track rain tyres.

The most impressive thing to me, and in fact the most surprising was that the car was entirely manageable on the street. we were able to have conversations at normal volumes (something I'm not always able to do in the Turbo). The suspension is firm but far from unreasonable (even travelling at speed on one of the bumpiest roads I know).

The engine sounds quite different to the GT3 (exhaust system changes no doubt). Most noticeable is the loppy idle (I'm sure due to the single mass flywheel). That alone gives the feel of a very serious car. The car only had 500 km on it so too soon to tell if the engines might be in some way "special".

For the more hard core Porsche customer who understands what he is getting into, I think that they will be most happy with this car.

That said though, I doubt that the majority of GT3 customers will be faster in the RS than they would be in the GT3. It will take a very good driver to really feel the improvements between the two cars and to take full advantage of them.

I will post some photos later once I have had time to redact the license plates.

Oh, yes, it really is that shade of blue.

Stephen

Re: 996 GT3-RS

Thanks Fixedwing!Can you further elaborate on the noise difference between the RS and Gt3, is it only louder or also different in tone, if so how?
    The ride is not stiffer than a regular Mk2 GT3, or it isn't stiff in absolute terms but more controlled than the regular GT3?
    Does the steering and the general handling change in comparison to a regular GT3?
    I'm sorry about all these questions, but you can imagine the anticipation on waiting for such a car...TIA

Thanks a lot for the report, Stephen! You must have had the hell of a ride, I envy you.

Just can't wait to see some pictures.

Thanks for the report! Looking forward to the Photos.

I don't understand this:
    Quote:
    Most noticeable is the loppy idle (I'm sure due to the single mass flywheel).

Could you elaborate?

thank you very much for this intersting report!!

sounds really great.

just 1 month to go...

zz

Rear quarter view

Front right quarter view

Front left quarter view

Re: Front left quarter view

yet again porsche makes me so mad that USA does not get this car. i guess fred schwab's promise died with his retirement

Dedicated Ring Toy

I have a suggestion Watt...

You've got so many of these damned things so why don't you keep one of them in Europe? Lots of my friends keep their Dedicated Ring Toys garaged near the Nürburgring and then visit with them on occasion.

There are a few roads away from the PCH that are worth driving....

Just wire me the bread and I'll take care of the rest!

Stephen

Idle

The engine was a lot like a race engine which has a very aggressive camshaft profile and lightweight flywheel. They will often not idle well. The idle isn't smooth but has a rythmic up and down to it.

That said, I didn't notice Ulf having any particular problems with stalling or being smooth shifting the car. It just wasn't a particularly smooth idle.

Stephen

Sound & Feel

To be clear, my experience is only that of a passenger and that which I got second-hand from Ulf. Maybe he will post more later?

The exhaust didn't seem louder, just different. But I've noticed that the exhaust note will often change considerably once an engine has a few miles on it (I suspect this is intentional and a way for the manufacturer to achieve the noise limits yet still provide the sound that they want). I preferred the sound of the GT3-RS. More mechanical. Less burble. In fact, it might even have been quieter. It certainly wasn't a problem in the passenger compartment (even with noticeably little sound insulation in the engine compartment).

Humm ... the stiffness is harder to talk about. It was stiff but not bone-jarring stiff. What was really noticeable is that it seemed to handle the bumps and then that was that. It was not like a skateboard (which is what I had expected). But who knows? Maybe my idea of reasonable is another man's (or woman's) idea of a living hell?

On the steering, the most noticable thing was the complete lack of bumpsteer. I could see that with my own eyes. The steering wheel would stay absolutely still. But I wasn't driving the car and so I cannot comment further. Maybe Ulf can? I do think though that the differences are small and probably not meaningful for most drivers. Both cars are very, very good and a good driver will be able to work wonders with either of them.

Yes, I can imagine the anticipation. You will be pleased I think.

Stephen

thanks for posting the pics stephen. i can't quite understand why porsche decided for this pale baby blue. a strong, dark blue would have suited the car (and the 2.7 carrera RS heritage) better IMO.

anyway: awesome car! thanks again!

What is it that keeps the GT3 RS out of the US?

Porsche marketing?
    Some kind of US emissions?
    Wouldn't pass US crash tests?
    Other
    All of the above

It seems unreasonable that PAG cannot provide this car for their largest market even though it might require some kind of additional investment.

I believe since the RS is in limited production, they are not bothering with the crash tests to comply with the U.S. laws.

Re: Rear quarter view

Another one from the side

Did he drove on this sunday morning? I didn't saw him on the track?

The last time I saw this car was right after the opening.

I'm not sure, but from my point of view the car doesn't sound very different from the GT3 standing right next to him?

However, it is really a great looking car
    Thanks for your information.

mobile

I beleive that the reason that the RS will not be available in the US is for two reasons.

No.1 As you will have seen by the pictures the rear wing has end plates which protrude past the side of the cabin (but not past the wheel arches) therefore the vehicle does not comply with US regulations.

No.2 An American buyer would only be able to keep the car for 3 days as the idle is not smooth. This in conjunctionwith a ride height that is lower than the GT3 would mean that the vehicle would not be able to clear the speed bumps at Mc Donalds drive through making the car unfit for its purpose...

And you can't fit a Big Gulp in the cup holders......

Quote:
    the vehicle would not be able to clear the speed bumps at Mc Donalds drive through making the car unfit for its purpose...

I enjoyed the report and the photos Stephen.

//// \\\\ spider

One last photo -- a happy Ulf and wife Pia next to the GT3RS

Re: Sound & Feel

Thanks for the quick answer Stephen!
    Do you know if Ulf managed to get some laps at the Ring?
    As soon as I take delivery of mine I'll take it to Monza racetrack(not exactly the same, but still better than nothing...).
    One more thing: did the roll cage have the front part fitted, it doesn't seem so from the pics.

Re: Sound & Feel

no, as you can see on the pictures...

no bars over the doors...but it's the same cage you know from the gt3, so you can install the bars after, or you decide to let them in, from the beginning, my tip...

Roll cage, etc.

Now that is a very interesting question ...

No, the front portion of the cage was not fitted. The problem is that it is not TUV approved in Germany (though is ok in Sweden where the car is registered). So the front bits were shipped directly to the dealer in Sweden for fitting.

It wasn't just the front of the cage either. The fire system came in a box. So did the harnesses. The emergency battery kill was in place but not wired in. In fact, there were lots of bits and pieces that were not fitted and were instead handed to you. Sort of like a kit car!

The back of the cage is very different. Much stronger. All well triangulated meeting at a central plate (probably very useful for mounting a camera mount). The problem is that now it is impossible to push through even reasonably sized bags into the back. No way even a kid could crawl through. The holes are drilled for the front braces and fire system with black plugs in the carpets. There are mounting points on the back roll bar for the cross braces. Presumably all of this needs to be installed to have the FIA approval.

I have no doubt that this will become the cage of choice for anyone wishing to install one in a 996 body car.

Ulf did get a very few laps at the Ring. He told me he might post some of his impressions later. But as you can see, he was smiling.

Stephen

Quote:
    yet again porsche makes me so mad that USA does not get this car. i guess fred schwab's promise died with his retirement

Wasn't it Wiedeking's promise taken over by Schwab?

Well: the GT3 RS is built by Porsche Motorsport, not Porsche.

Re: RS heist

well stephen,

what if you arrange to ship one to vancouver or tijuana for me and i drive it in????
    how much are they? i recall about 127 US

RC: famous schwab quote about how the US would nvere be screwed again on key product. i still cant believe i was not allowed the chance to own a 993 GT2.

Watt's heist

Well Watt, as a non-resident I am able to bring non-conforming cars in to the USA for a year at a time and do with it there what I wish. Of course, residents are not allowed this privilege.

Doesn't it make you happy to live in the USA? Discriminated against by your own government.

Seriously though, what you need is a European girlfriend who can act as a stickman to hold all of these wonderful cars for you. Then she could ship them in and out at will. If you were a very good boy I'm sure she would let you drive them occasionally.

Stephen

More photos...

Keith Madock has posted some more photos of Ulf's GT3RS at Nürburgring:

http://keith.maddock.com/ns.htm

Stephen

Re: Roll cage, etc.

There have been a lot of rumours and discussions about the RS. I collected the first factory delivered car last Friday. There had been some cars shipped as normal deliveries before. The knowledge of the car at the delivery department was poor. When I told the guy who gave me the keys that I should go directly to the Nürburgring he did not believe me.

The Autobahn up from Stuttgart felt very bumpy, so did the narrow road from Ulmen to Nürburg. This was promising. On Saturday the track was not opened as it should have been in the evening. I met Stephen and gave him a passenger tour on the small bumpy road from Breidscheid over Hohe Acht, passing Brünnchen and coming out on the main road at Döttinger Höhe. The car was lovely on the bumpy road. It was hard enough in the suspension, had good turn in and no bump steer, promising again.

On Sunday morning the opening of the track was delayed for two hours. I had to leave for the ferry to Sweden at 11.30 and could just have three laps. I drove at reduced speed as the car was not broken in. It felt more agile and lighter than my old GT3 Clubsport. The sound inside the car is lovely; outside you can't hear so much difference. I had some under steer in the first two or three sharp corners at T13. Maybe the tyres were not warm or because of my passive driving with reduced throttle. All three laps were the same. During the rest of the laps the steer in was good. The suspension feels good. Strangely the air ducts on the front suspension arms hit the ground at several places. The car is hard but low, I don't know what to do about it. The problem will of course disappear as the ducts do.

Today I head the weight of the car checked. It is 1 330 kg with full tank and the rear roll cage mounted. It is better than I had expected.

My summary is: I am glad that I bought it! I feel privileged.

Best regards,
    Ulf Karlsson.

Re: Roll cage, etc.

1330kg.
    Did you order the A/C unit and the stereo.

Best of luck with your new car.

Quote:
    Quote:
    the vehicle would not be able to clear the speed bumps at Mc Donalds drive through making the car unfit for its purpose...

I enjoyed the report and the photos Stephen.

//// \\\\ spider

well, there are some of us in USA who dislike stereotypes [recently Europeans have suffered greatly from one, eh?], and would very much like an RS. i can order a Ruf RGT3 it's US legal.

stephen,

why would a non-resident be able to import an illegal car to USA? and i think if you look around, you'll see the governement where you live has negatives as well....

Imports to the USA

Quote:
    why would a non-resident be able to import an illegal car to USA?

Watt, I don't really understand much of what you are talking about but the above I can explain.

A non-resident is able to bring a car in to the USA temporarily for up to one year. Look upon this as a tourist going on a holiday in the USA. He can bring in any car, conforming or not. Of course, it is a temporary import and he must export it again within one year -- just as you would expect a non-resident tourist to do.

Of course, a resident of the USA isn't going to be a tourist to his own country and therefore cannot bring a car in under this exemption. If he brings the car in then he must comply with the import rules.

So I could buy a GT3RS, register it here in Europe and bring it in to the USA under these rules for up to one year (no limit on how many times I could do this). You, as a resident, could not.

One clear example of where the non-resident has the advantage over the resident.

Stephen

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776979 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262740 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260897 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85155 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5543 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815789 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM